Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Should women teach in the church?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
this entire post has got out of control. the women not being preachers is there.. BUT NOT being adult s.s teachers is not there. i know several good women adult s.s teachers. not one time did they put authority over man. just taught scripture. if it wasnt for the women the Church would exist as a body unit.. Men dont want to go . i deal with it every sunday
Your men are to be chastised, as they have thrown away their duties.

Well written post.
Paul had the job of turning Gentiles, heathens, into godly men and women of Christ. Unlike Jewish brothers and sisters who had a heritage of the law and covenants, as well as the prophets, to learn from, and knew what the Lord expected of them, the Gentiles only knew the serving of other gods, and licentious behavior.
Paul, bringing the Gospel to them, and living among them knew what was needed and acted in their best interest according to the wisdom God had give
It is written..."If any man think himself to be a prophet, or spiritual, let him acknowledge that the things that I write unto you are the commandments of the Lord." (1 Cor 14:37)

I get sick when I see folks denigrating the teachings of a man with the Spirit of God in Him.

It's hard not to notice that you ignore or simply dismiss, usually by deflecting, all the hardest arguments showing your position to have seriously difficulties and then just return to the very arguments proven false or inadequate.

I'm done discussing this with you. You are clinging to the supposed doctrine of male superiority, which is not Scriptural. God made men and women to be equal in every area and complementary to each other. End of discussion!
It is written..."If any man think himself to be a prophet, or spiritual, let him acknowledge that the things that I write unto you are the commandments of the Lord." (1 Cor 14:37)
Do you think you are a prophet?
Spiritual?
If so, acknowledge that Paul was right.
If not, you are allowing the flesh to speak against a prophet.

Case in point.

Again, that is a straw man and not at all what the issue is. I have repeatedly stated that men and women are equal, but it doesn't necessarily follow that they supposed to have the same roles or functions within the Church. One last time: it has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with equality and everything to do with what the Bible says about the proper functioning of God's church based on his commands and directions for believers.
The last time??? Hurray!!! I pray that, as this discussion ends, you might have learned some of God's truth about men and women and their roles in His kingdom. But I'm concerned that you still haven't. Let me know if you ever gain understanding about a) what equality means and b) the proper functioning of God's church based on His commands and directions for believers.

Do you think you are a prophet?
Spiritual?
If so, acknowledge that Paul was right.
If not, you are allowing the flesh to speak against a prophet.

It might help if you provide context when you quote the Bible. "If anyone considers himself a prophet or spiritual person, he should acknowledge that what I write to you is the Lord’s command. If someone does not recognize this, he is not recognized. So then, brothers and sisters, be eager to prophesy, and do not forbid anyone from speaking in tongues. And do everything in a decent and orderly manner." 1 Corinthians 14:37-40 Paul is clearly talking about the Spiritual gifts of prophecy and speaking in tongues and order in the church. He is addressing the issue that the church in Corinth was chaotic and he was instructing them about orderly behavior.

Do you think you are a prophet? Spiritual? If so, then you will acknowledge that Jesus said “I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Advocate to be with you forever— the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot accept, because it does not see him or know him. But you know him, because he resides with you and will be in you." John 14:16-17

If so, acknowledge that Jesus was right.
If not, you are allowing the flesh to speak against the Lord.

Last edited:

I get sick when I see folks denigrating the teachings of a man with the Spirit of God in Him.

Amen.

Do you speak in tongues?

Does your church allow for tongues and interpretation of tongues.

Prophesy?

Does your church teach you to desire earnestly to prophesy?

JLB

If anyone thinks himself to be a prophet or spiritual, let him acknowledge that the things which I write to you are the commandments of the Lord. But if anyone is ignorant, let him be ignorant.
Therefore, brethren, desire earnestly to prophesy, and do not forbid to speak with tongues. Let all things be done decently and in order.
1 Corinthians 14:37-40

It's OK to be wrong, You've been wrong many times. This time included. I am under grace, not under the law. Why not give it a try?
God only knows, but we have scripture and the Holy Spirit to guide us. The reasoning that I gave for why Jesus decided to change the water into wine, even though He had just said that His time had not come, was sound and scripturally based. He did so according to His heavenly Father's authority, not His mother's. He was undoubtedly an obedient child, of course, but this circumstance had to do with the use of His power previous to begining His public ministry, and that would only have been done according to divine authority.

I am glad that you are under grace, as am I. Peace to you. The rule of the true church is different than legalism. Legalism is works-based salvation. Jesus said that He came to fulfill the law, not to remove it, and the apostles concurred. The fulfilled law is the non-ceremonial moral law, according to the grace and peace of Jesus Christ. That begins with all grace. It is the hope of all believers to cultivate an increasingly intimate personal relationship with Jesus. We do this in a variety of ways, and one way is to develop a proper perspective. We do not have to agree on everything, but we know that we are a peculiar people, because we increasingly become strangers in a strange land. That means that we increasingly leave our former worldly perspective behind. Reliance upon the true church therefore becomes increasingly necessary, as one must engage in spiritual warfare. Spiritual means your spirit, to the extent that it has developed. Failure to adhere to superior directives will almost always end in difficulties. Take the long way home, if you will, but endure to the end.

Be blessed, be well.

If anyone thinks himself to be a prophet or spiritual, let him acknowledge that the things which I write to you are the commandments of the Lord. But if anyone is ignorant, let him be ignorant.
Therefore, brethren, desire earnestly to prophesy, and do not forbid to speak with tongues. Let all things be done decently and in order.
points have been made but we still have scripture This is a true saying, if a man desire the office of a bishop, he desireth a good work.. we can hack what ever all night long . but facts are scripture. yes it can be interrupted in many ways .the facts are facts mind you i have no dog in this. .other than to state a woman can not teach adult s.s. class .

there could be many what ifs why not discuss something of value. it amazes me in all forums people would rather argue over something they have no control over.

but yet they can teach but not adults see i totally disagree with that. if you hold to that then women should not teach period . Men step up take care of all the sunday school classes .including nursery
May your ministry prosper in the truth of the way.
Rom 14:21 It is good neither to eat meat nor drink wine nor do anything by which your brother stumbles or is offended or is made weak.
Rom 14:22 Do you have faith? Have it to yourself before God. Happy is he who does not condemn himself in what he approves.
Rom 14:23 But he who doubts is condemned if he eats, because he does not eat from faith; for whatever is not from faith is sin.
As we have faith in Jesus, we are blessed. Shall we also have faith in the scripture?

Though a teacher during a service must be a man, there is only One who is the teacher, properly speaking.
Mat 23:1 Then Jesus spoke to the multitudes and to His disciples,

Mat 23:6 They love the best places at feasts, the best seats in the synagogues,
Mat 23:7 greetings in the marketplaces, and to be called by men, 'Rabbi, Rabbi.'
Mat 23:8 But you, do not be called 'Rabbi'; for One is your Teacher, the Christ, and you are all brethren.
Mat 23:9 Do not call anyone on earth your father; for One is your Father, He who is in heaven.
Mat 23:10 And do not be called teachers; for One is your Teacher, the Christ.
Mat 23:11 But he who is greatest among you shall be your servant.
Mat 23:12 And whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted.
Which teacher is greater in God's eyes, the teacher of adults or of children? That is up to Him to decide, but we know that we are blessed to be humble in our proper service, lest we cause harm to the body and incur His displeasure.

Be blessed, be well.

Would that include taking responsibility for the care and welfare of your family?
Having the ability to do it, then clearly taking care of your families material needs is the right thing to do, but not everything, especially the gifts of the Spirit can be bought with silver or gold, and there are many gifted women in the Bible who were mightily used by God. Would you deny them their service to the Lord, and His right to elect them, His will to do?

Paul used women, in his missionary work, despite what he said to the average housewife.

It might help if you provide context when you quote the Bible. "If anyone considers himself a prophet or spiritual person, he should acknowledge that what I write to you is the Lord’s command. If someone does not recognize this, he is not recognized. So then, brothers and sisters, be eager to prophesy, and do not forbid anyone from speaking in tongues. And do everything in a decent and orderly manner." 1 Corinthians 14:37-40 Paul is clearly talking about the Spiritual gifts of prophecy and speaking in tongues and order in the church. He is addressing the issue that the church in Corinth was chaotic and he was instructing them about orderly behavior.

Do you think you are a prophet? Spiritual? If so, then you will acknowledge that Jesus said “I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Advocate to be with you forever— the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot accept, because it does not see him or know him. But you know him, because he resides with you and will be in you." John 14:16-17

If so, acknowledge that Jesus was right.
If not, you are allowing the flesh to speak against the Lord.
The context is that it is God's word through Paul, and you are trying to refute it.

The word 'anyone' does include women.

Amen.
Do you speak in tongues?
I have the gift of tongues, thanks be to God.
Does your church allow for tongues and interpretation of tongues.
We allow it, (as if it needed to be allowed).
We have group prayer before services, wherein we can pray in tongues as the Spirit moves us, but we have no interpreter so it isn't a part of the service.
Prophesy?
Yes, and everyone gets a chance to speak.
Does your church teach you to desire earnestly to prophesy?
Of course, as the edification of the "body" is at the forefront of all we do.
To the glory of God.

Do you wish to expand the OP?

Man is the generic name of the human race, and the Bible speaks of female prophets.

Man is the generic name of the human race, and the Bible speaks of female prophets.
Yes the bible does, and thank God for them.
Anyone can obey the Lord's command to present His prophetic will.

Ever notice how "woman" is never used as a generic name for the human race?

A woman cannot be a husband of one wife 1 Timothy 3:2

Overseer is a Pastor.

bishop. The word means "overseer" and identifies the men who are responsible to lead the church (cf. 1Ti_5:17; 1Th_5:12; Heb_13:7). In the NT the words bishop, elder, overseer, and pastor are used interchangeably to describe the same men (Act_20:17, Act_20:28; Tit_1:5-9; 1Pe_5:1-2). Bishops (pastors, overseers, elders) are responsible to lead (1Ti_5:17), preach and teach (1Ti_5:17), help the spiritually weak (1Th_5:12-14), care for the church (1Pe_5:1-2), and ordain other leaders (1Ti_4:14).
We were talking about women in power, you chose 1 Timothy 3:1-12 and all I was saying was that this passage covers the qualifications of overseers and deacons.

In this case, yes, a masculine noun.

Although, did it mention that women couldn't preach? No, I don't believe so.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back