Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Bible Study SO YOU THINK YOU ARE SAVED.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Good morning Chopper
In your post no. 328, you said:
These Commandments given by Moses, as many have said, leads to death. It's almost as if they were commands of death as it turned out for Israel. Now, I see the 10 Commandments as life for us because they flow from the Nature of God. I've used this phrase "fingerprints" because Elohim left His mark of Who He is for us to follow. FOLLOW, not to obtain righteousness.

You said this in reference to the fact that you studied the 10 commandments in relation to the beatitudes and found similarities. This morning I was reading Mathew 7:12 The Golden Rule

In my bible notes it says that in Rabbinic Judaism, Hinduism, Buddhism and Confucionism this rule is also found but in the negative. Jesus turned it into the positive.

It made me think of the beatitudes. They certainly are the positive side of the commandments, as you said, "life", because if we practiced the lifestyle they teach, doing good to others would be the result, thus obedience to the commandments being the final end.

And it would also help us because we'd find a lot more peace in life because they teach us to trust in God and not in man - living for the Kingdom of God that comes after, but also now. The kingdom starts here.

Wondering

Two points:

Cain and Abel came after Adam and Eve ate. So once they ate of the tree of Knowledge, all the rules were made known unto them. It was the tree of Knowledge, their eyes were open. Like Pandora's Box, once you take the lid off, there is no going back.

As for your comment about the people not being accountable if there was no law, then how would you explain the Flood of Noah? Or how about the judgement that came upon Sodom and Gomorrah?

While their sins were not imputed unto them, it seems to me that God still Judged the nations because of wickedness. But even at that, their sin was not after the similitude of Adam's transgression. It is the sin after the similitude of Adam's transgression that we are held accountable for, the sins of the flesh are not held to our account, but they do come with consequences that we each must bare.

From Adam to Moses there was no law and their sins were not accounted unto them. From Moses till Jesus the tribes of Israel were under the Law. From Jesus till now, the new covenant has made the law obsolete, and where there is no law, their sins are not accounted unto them.

You answered your first question about the flood people and Sodom & Gomorrah in that they were wicked....
Genesis 6:5 And GOD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.
6:6 And it repented the LORD that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart.

There is so very much information that is not recorded in the Scriptures about this period of 15 hundred years and the sins of the people. Just how God handled this wickedness we are not told. Personally, I don't like guessing what or how God handled wickedness. I'm sure He had it all worked out. This we do know, the wickedness of the flood people and Sodom & Gomorrah people Grieved the heart of our loving God and He destroyed them. His Justice is perfect with no fault ever.

Now, in the way you presented the New Covenant under Jesus the Son of God, I find it not complete....The Messiah is the completion of the Law of Moses....
Romans 10:4 For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth.

You say, "where there is no law, their sins are not accounted unto them" because "the new covenant has made the law obsolete". Under The Commands that Jesus the Son of God, Who is the fulfillment of the Law has spoken, all sinners who disobey are accountable. The Law is only obsolete as a means of righteousness. It is not obsolete as far as a means of living a holy life.

Good morning Chopper
In your post no. 328, you said:
These Commandments given by Moses, as many have said, leads to death. It's almost as if they were commands of death as it turned out for Israel. Now, I see the 10 Commandments as life for us because they flow from the Nature of God. I've used this phrase "fingerprints" because Elohim left His mark of Who He is for us to follow. FOLLOW, not to obtain righteousness.

You said this in reference to the fact that you studied the 10 commandments in relation to the beatitudes and found similarities. This morning I was reading Mathew 7:12 The Golden Rule

In my bible notes it says that in Rabbinic Judaism, Hinduism, Buddhism and Confucionism this rule is also found but in the negative. Jesus turned it into the positive.

It made me think of the beatitudes. They certainly are the positive side of the commandments, as you said, "life", because if we practiced the lifestyle they teach, doing good to others would be the result, thus obedience to the commandments being the final end.

And it would also help us because we'd find a lot more peace in life because they teach us to trust in God and not in man - living for the Kingdom of God that comes after, but also now. The kingdom starts here.

Wondering

Very well said. You get Chopper's Home Run!

Romans 3:19-20
Now we know that what things soever the law saith, it saith to them who are under the law: that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God. Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.

Romans 3:28
Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law.

Romans 7:10-11
And the commandment, which was ordained to life, I found to be unto death. For sin, taking occasion by the commandment, deceived me, and by it slew me. Wherefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy, and just, and good.

Romans 7:14
For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin.

Sold under sin. To whom was I sold to, and from who was I purchased?

Galatians 3:21-25
Is the law then against the promises of God? God forbid: for if there had been a law given which could have given life, verily righteousness should have been by the law. But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe. But before faith came, we were kept under the law, shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed. Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith. But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.

How can the ten commandment be life to us? If there had been a law given which would have given life means that there is no law that can give life. The law can only offer the promise of life through obedience to death.

You say, "where there is no law, their sins are not accounted unto them" because "the new covenant has made the law obsolete". Under The Commands that Jesus the Son of God, Who is the fulfillment of the Law has spoken, all sinners who disobey are accountable. The Law is only obsolete as a means of righteousness. It is not obsolete as far as a means of living a holy life.

What do you mean that it is not obsolete as far as a means of living a holy life? What do you see as being distinguishable between righteousness and holiness that you could cast the law aside for one and not the other? Care to explain?

Romans 6:21-23
For when ye were the servants of sin, ye were free from righteousness. What fruit had ye then in those things whereof ye are now ashamed? for the end of those things is death. But now being made free from sin, and become servants to God, ye have your fruit unto holiness, and the end everlasting life. For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

We have been made free from the Law wherein we were servants of sin while we were under the schoolmaster that brought us to Christ. But after that Faith is come, we have been made free from sin so we can then become servants to God; we are no longer servants to sin.

You can not serve two Masters. You either serve the Law or the Lord. If you have been made partaker to the Tree of Life, what then do you have to gain by eating the fruit of Law, the knowledge of good and evil?

Hi EZ
All good.
Could you expound a bit on the "similitude" of Adam's transgression.
Doesn't this just mean that Adam's sin was different from ALL future sin because it was directly prohibited by God to him?
Or any other way you want to explain it.

Wondering

Romans 5:12-14
Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned: (For until the law sin was in the world: but sin is not imputed when there is no law. Nevertheless death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over them that had not sinned after the similitude of Adam's transgression, who is the figure of him that was to come.

Genesis 2:14-15
And the Lord God commanded the man, saying, Of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat: But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.

Adam was a son of God, and the commandment given him came with with the penalty of death. In the knowledge of his sin, he sought a covering to hide from the presence of the Lord. Do we still seek after a covering to hide from our sins? Death reigned from Adam to Moses, yet a sacrifice with lamb's blood over the door post caused the Angel of Death to pass over. If Christ has defeated death, then from what do we require a covering, except we try and hide our sins from God?

All sins are forgiven unto mankind, but there is one sin which will not be forgiven..... (Matthew 12:31-32)

How can the ten commandment be life to us? If there had been a law given which would have given life means that there is no law that can give life. The law can only offer the promise of life through obedience to death.
Deu 4:1 Now therefore hearken, O Israel, unto the statutes and unto the judgments, which I teach you, for to do them, that ye may live,and go in and possess the land which the LORD God of your fathers giveth you.
Lev 18:5 Ye shall therefore keep my statutes, and my judgments: which if a man do, he shall live in them: I am the LORD.
Deu 6:24 And the LORD commanded us to do all these statutes, to fear the LORD our God, for our good always, that he might preserve us alive, as it is at this day.
Joh 14:15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.

Psa 19:7 The law of the LORD is perfect, converting the soul: the testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple.
Psa 19:8 The statutes of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart: the commandment of the LORD is pure, enlightening the eyes.

How can the ten commandment be life to us?
Until a sinner is saved, the Ten Commandments are a death sentence leading to the Second Death. However, after a sinner is saved and born again, those commandments are written on the heart. and can be obey in the power of the Holy Spirit. And they have been distilled into one word by Christ -- "LOVE".

Now we know that what things soever the law saith, it saith to them who are under the law: that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God. Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.

Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law.

And the commandment, which was ordained to life, I found to be unto death. For sin, taking occasion by the commandment, deceived me, and by it slew me. Wherefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy, and just, and good.

Is the law then against the promises of God? God forbid: for if there had been a law given which could have given life, verily righteousness should have been by the law. But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe. But before faith came, we were kept under the law, shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed. Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith. But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.

What do you mean that it is not obsolete as far as a means of living a holy life? What do you see as being distinguishable between righteousness and holiness that you could cast the law aside for one and not the other? Care to explain?

For when ye were the servants of sin, ye were free from righteousness. What fruit had ye then in those things whereof ye are now ashamed? for the end of those things is death. But now being made free from sin, and become servants to God, ye have your fruit unto holiness, and the end everlasting life. For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

We have been made free from the Law wherein we were servants of sin while we were under the schoolmaster that brought us to Christ. But after that Faith is come, we have been made free from sin so we can then become servants to God; we are no longer servants to sin.

You can not serve two Masters. You either serve the Law or the Lord. If you have been made partaker to the Tree of Life, what then do you have to gain by eating the fruit of Law, the knowledge of good and evil?

Hi EZ
You don't need me to help you, I just want to say that everything you quote above could be agreed to by all of us - it's how you word some things that could cause one to think that one could go on sinning after salvation because anyway we're under the blood.

After careful reading of the above it's obvious this is not what you mean.

You post:

This just means that we are justified by faith. It's faith that saves us, not the law.
Ephesians 2:8

I don't think you mean that we're justified by faith and the deeds of the law are NOT NECESSARY after salvation.

I'll stop there. I just think that sometimes we're saying the same thing but using different wording.

Regarding your question:

Adam's sin sold us to satan. We became prisoners of sin. He handed us over to the evil one, the prince of the air. We were purchased, by Jesus, from the evil one. He has redeemed us from our debt to sins and given us the power to put sin under submission (or the sin nature). We were purchased by His blood, as you brought up on a post, Exodus 11/12. And thus are saved by Him - for this life in submitting to Him, and also for the next life - to spend eternity with Him.

Wondering

Romans 5:12-14
Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned: (For until the law sin was in the world: but sin is not imputed when there is no law. Nevertheless death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over them that had not sinned after the similitude of Adam's transgression, who is the figure of him that was to come.

Genesis 2:14-15
And the Lord God commanded the man, saying, Of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat: But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.

Adam was a son of God, and the commandment given him came with with the penalty of death. In the knowledge of his sin, he sought a covering to hide from the presence of the Lord. Do we still seek after a covering to hide from our sins? Death reigned from Adam to Moses, yet a sacrifice with lamb's blood over the door post caused the Angel of Death to pass over. If Christ has defeated death, then from what do we require a covering, except we try and hide our sins from God?

All sins are forgiven unto mankind, but there is one sin which will not be forgiven..... (Matthew 12:31-32)
Thanks for the reply.

I've put together a few posts and come up with this:
(it was this idea of death reigning from Adam to Moses that had me confused and the idea that sin was not IMPUTED to man)

Okay. So Adam sins the original sin, the sin that will be handed down to all mankind. No one else has sinned this sin. It's unique to Adam, and therein is the similitude. No other sin will ever be similar to his.

Death still reigned from Adam to Moses in a general sense. God was still mad at humankind - Sodom, the flood, Ninevah etc.

Now Moses is given the decalogue. aw is made known. Man now knows the law, he knows it individually and he thus becomes individually responsible for keeping it. He cannot but that's another story.
He is put under "the curse" of the law exactly because now he knows it and it cannot be kept.
Exodus 19/20

BUT, those that believed, by faith, Hebrews 11, still will be saved. Luke 16, The Great Divide. But they await Jesus, who buys their freedom. Their sins are not written in the book of Life and will not be impuned to them at the Judgemtne seat of Christ.

?

Wondering

Eph: 2

For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

Not of works, lest any man should boast.

Ez, I'm at a loss of understanding as to why you can't see a good side of the Commandments of God given thru Moses. I see two sides to the 10 Commandments. For the New Covenant Believer, the side that our righteousness is obtained thru a careful observing of the Law and putting them into practice. As to Salvation, Is dead!....
Galatians 2:16 Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.

The Law of Moses is obsolete in the fact that it no longer is used by God as a means of Salvation. It is not a filthy, useless, unholy thing. It is a standard of living which comes from the purpose and will of God for those who are saved according to the New Covenant in Jesus the Son of God....
Romans 7:12 Wherefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy, and just, and good.

As I said before, there are two sided to the Law of Moses. One that has been abolished, and the other, a good side that needs to be respected by Christians as not to offend the Creator of those Laws....
Honor thy Father and thy Mother. According to your posts, we can throw this out because the Law is dead, right?

Thou shalt have no other gods before Me. According to you, this Law is equally dead, so we can go to the world and make money our god. Right?

I'm sure you know what I'm saying. I see two sides of the Law of Moses. One is obsolete because it has it's fulfillment in Christ Jesus. If we look at all the Commands of Jesus the Son of God, in all that He said that we should follow, we see a duplication of Law of Moses. The two are bound together

2John 1:9 Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son.

The doctrine of Christ is a blend of Moses Law and Jesus' Law.

I'm a little perturbed that you keep posting all the Scriptures that pertain to the Law of Moses being cancelled, obsolete, and so on. I have repeatedly said that the Law does not save me, Jesus does. Moses Law is a standard for me to live by because....
Galatians 2:20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

If Christ lives in me, then Moses Law as well as Jesus' Commands are in me. I live by what's in me.

No one, no not one, avoids the condemnation of sin in the flesh, courtesy of The Laws. Not looking at the law will not avoid the conclusion (EZ's sight) nor will law keeping (Choppers sight), avoid the conclusion.

Galatians 3:22
But the scripture hath concluded all under sin,

This conclusion can not be changed by anyone. Not by keeping and not by running away.

From these two vanities we get:

Denials of Gods Word
Legal sinners
Sin under Grace
Obedient sinners

Everybody has their own special and unique twists on this subject.

But few can simply step into the fact that the scriptures have concluded ALL under sin. This one just doesn't seem all that appealing to anyone for some odd reason.

Is there something WRONG with the conclusion? Or the readers?

Grace is unmerited favor. That favor is directed at whomever God see's fit. Usually when a believer is in a tough place in his/her life and God steps in and blesses that person that's great. The greatest example of grace is found in our Salvation. Christ died while yet we were sinners.

For the person who has committed a sin against God, by the way, all sin is against God in the first place, and then against oneself and others. People think that God's Grace is automatic, WRONG!! A sinning Believer must settle for forgiveness, if God grants grace for something that's wonderful. To expect the Grace of God is an assault on the nature of God.
Uh! Chopper between mercy and Grace....mercy would fall under the definition of unmerited favour. Grace however is, as mentioned, the ever present power of the Lord to enable the believer to be what He has called one to be, and to do what He has called them to do! Any volition stemming from the flesh is from the wrong source and is as filthy rags..

Believers are called to show mercy, to those who show mercy. Says nothing of showing Grace, rather manifesting the work of Grace in the belivers life..

No one, no not one, avoids the condemnation of sin in the flesh, courtesy of The Laws. Not looking at the law will not avoid the conclusion (EZ's sight) nor will law keeping (Choppers sight), avoid the conclusion.

Galatians 3:22
But the scripture hath concluded all under sin,

This conclusion can not be changed by anyone. Not by keeping and not by running away.

From these two vanities we get:

Denials of Gods Word
Legal sinners
Sin under Grace
Obedient sinners

Everybody has their own special and unique twists on this subject.

But few can simply step into the fact that the scriptures have concluded ALL under sin. This one just doesn't seem all that appealing to anyone for some odd reason.

Is there something WRONG with the conclusion? Or the readers?

That new birth means the old man is dead. He died with Christ on that Cross. That old man had the sin nature, the NEW MAN had become a partaker of the DIVINE Nature. His very nature became ours through our " conception " by His Spirit. We were " conceived " by Him, same as Jesus was " conceived in Mary... When she "believed, and received" His word (seed) delivered by the angels, Jesus was conceived in her. 1 Peter 1:22 Seeing ye have purified your souls in your obedience to the truth unto unfeigned love of the brethren, love one another from the heart fervently:
23 having been begotten again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, through the word of God, which liveth and abideth.

That new birth means the old man is dead. He died with Christ on that Cross. That old man had the sin nature, the NEW MAN had become a partaker of the DIVINE Nature. His very nature became ours through our " conception " by His Spirit. We were " conceived " by Him, same as Jesus was " conceived in Mary... When she "believed, and received" His word (seed) delivered by the angels, Jesus was conceived in her. 1 Peter 1:22 Seeing ye have purified your souls in your obedience to the truth unto unfeigned love of the brethren, love one another from the heart fervently:
23 having been begotten again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, through the word of God, which liveth and abideth.
That's all a nice little story, except for the conclusion that all are under sin.

Let's face a little fact shall we? Our own flesh, our own hide, is contrary to and against the Spirit. Gal. 5:17. That conclusion isn't changing by any fancy religious stories. And it is not because the scripture has concluded ALL under sin and that conclusion can not be changed, period. Gal. 3:22. It's a fact of scripture AND a fact in reality.

Every believer tries vainly and fruitlessly to make that NOT true. Scripture says otherwise.

This is sorta hard to understand. Mans flesh nature is to look for loopholes.

The way I see it, the 10 commandments was given so that man would know what sins are, and so that God could honorably impute sin unto man.

Instructions for proper behavior. Then Jesus came, and fulfilled the law, thereby modifying the covenant but not making it obsolete inasmuch as we do still need to behave ourselves properly.

I believe that the key to not being under the law, is in that we are in Christ...that is to say, being led by The Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit will NOT lead one into sin. Hence, not under the law, however, we will still behave ourselves...call it a fruit of being led by The Spirit.

James 2 explains it pretty good I think.

What does it profit, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can faith save him?15 If a brother or sister is naked and destitute of daily food, 16 and one of you says to them, “Depart in peace, be warmed and filled,” but you do not give them the things which are needed for the body, what does it profit?17 Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.

18 But someone will say, “You have faith, and I have works.” Show me your faith without your works, and I will show you my faith by my works. 19 You believe that there is one God. You do well. Even the demons believe—and tremble! 20 But do you want to know, O foolish man, that faith without works is dead?21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works when he offered Isaac his son on the altar? 22 Do you see that faith was working together with his works, and by works faith was made perfect? 23 And the Scripture was fulfilled which says,“Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.” And he was called the friend of God.24 You see then that a man is justified by works, and not by faith only.

Let's face a little fact shall we? Our own flesh, our own hide, is contrary to and against the Spirit. Gal. 5:17.
There is also another "little" fact that you seem to be missing. The indwelling Holy Spirit enables the believer to overcome and mortify the flesh and walk in the Spirit. That's called "walking in newness of life". So to give too much credit to the flesh is to give too much credit to that which is already dead, and will eventually be eradicated. Unless we balance Bible truth properly we will go into error.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back