Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Solve this

Classik

576971_517430334952159_454599081_n.jpg

@ Paul: Right-click the image, or click "reply with quote" in order to get the URL of the pic, open it in a new window or tab to see that the add obscures nothing but a ? on the other side of the =.

@ Classik: 7.

Two solutions one answer to that one, is * the same as multiplied?

9-5+5 x 0 + 3 = 3

9-(5+5) x 0 + 3 =3 (9-10x0+3=3)

Or is it a trick question?

9 - 5 + 5 * 0 + 3 = ? :lol

I've been teaching my son 7th grade math and PEMDAS reigns supreme... Let's see if I've learned the lessons:

Order of operation:
Parenthesis
Exponents
Multiplication
Division
Addition
Subtraction

9 - 5 + 5 * 0 + 3 = ?

5 * 0 = 0

5 + 0 = 5

5 + 3 = 8

9 - 8 = 1

? = 1

The answer is 3.

Take 5 from 9 and then add 5 back in and you still have 9. Anything multiplied by 0 is 0, and if you add 3 to 0 you get 3.

Hint: There are no parentheses, so this is a progressive problem, not a formula.

Nope, I'm standing firm with 1. One must follow order of operation at all times (PEMDAS)... In this problem multiply first: 5 * 0 = 0... then the addition, equaling 8 then the subtraction from 9 which equals 1.

Classik... what is the official answer? (You always have such controversial topics!!! :lol)

I do hope I'm right... after all I am teaching my son math. :crazy

If you use order of operation, the first operation is subtracting 5 from9....oh my I'm so confused now i've got a head ache. Pythagorus I really don't like you!!

Nope, I'm standing firm with 1. One must follow order of operation at all times (PEMDAS)...
I did follow the order of operations. Without parentheses, you do each calculation in order. You don't start in the middle as you did unless there are parenthesis indicating that operation must be solved before the rest of the equation can be solved.

OK... because my son's future success as a mathematician is riding on this :o (and because it is a well known fact that Dora can't do math :oops) I googled the answer:

and got either 7 or 1.

Following PEMDAS strictly, the answer is 1 as I showed above. However, one out in virtual land who claims to be a math and science teacher states that once one gets to the addition and subtraction, then one goes in the order in which they appear making the equation work like this:

9- (+5) + 3 = 7

I still think 1 is correct because it was drummed into me that one follows PEMDAS in which addition is always done before subtraction...

Classik?

Wow I didn't think there could be opinions about a thing such as maths!!

My thinking was like:
I learned in school that multiplication (and division, because that's just another form of multiplication) takes precedence over addition (or subtraction). Parentheses or exponents would take precedence over both but there are none here. Other than that you go from left to right when calculating that stuff.
So the equation is:
9 - 5 + 5 * 0 + 3 = ? --> multiplication taking precedence
9 - 5 + (5 * 0) + 3 = ? --> 5 * 0 = 0
9 - 5 + 0 + 3 =
4 + 3 = 7

Paul1965 said:
Thanks Claudya and welcome to CF by the way
Thank you very much! :)

I think the answer is: Apple

Of course I may have misunderstood the question.

I did follow the order of operations. Without parentheses, you do each calculation in order. You don't start in the middle as you did unless there are parenthesis indicating that operation must be solved before the rest of the equation can be solved.

My son and I are following the Calvert Math curriculum and they teach it to do it the way I did... This will be interesting to see... even in Googleland there are three basic answers coming up.. 7, 3, and 1.

OK... because my son's future success as a mathematician is riding on this :o (and because it is a well known fact that Dora can't do math :oops) I googled the answer:

and got either 7 or 1.

Following PEMDAS strictly, the answer is 1 as I showed above. However, one out in virtual land who claims to be a math and science teacher states that once one gets to the addition and subtraction, then one goes in the order in which they appear making the equation work like this:

9- (+5) + 3 = 7

I still think 1 is correct because it was drummed into me that one follows PEMDAS in which addition is always done before subtraction...

Classik?

Wow I didn't think there could be opinions about a thing such as maths!!

My thinking was like:
I learned in school that multiplication (and division, because that's just another form of multiplication) takes precedence over addition (or subtraction). Parentheses or exponents would take precedence over both but there are none here. Other than that you go from left to right when calculating that stuff.
So the equation is:
9 - 5 + 5 * 0 + 3 = ? --> multiplication taking precedence
9 - 5 + (5 * 0) + 3 = ? --> 5 * 0 = 0
9 - 5 + 0 + 3 =
4 + 3 = 7

Thank you very much! :)
I think you will both find you're getting too complex, Read the "blackboard" in Classik's OP. "Simple math." Hint?

And by the way, Claudya, I echo the "welcome." :thumbsup

Back