Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Solve this

Wow I didn't think there could be opinions about a thing such as maths!!

My thinking was like:
I learned in school that multiplication (and division, because that's just another form of multiplication) takes precedence over addition (or subtraction). Parentheses or exponents would take precedence over both but there are none here. Other than that you go from left to right when calculating that stuff.
So the equation is:
9 - 5 + 5 * 0 + 3 = ? --> multiplication taking precedence
9 - 5 + (5 * 0) + 3 = ? --> 5 * 0 = 0
9 - 5 + 0 + 3 =
4 + 3 = 7

Thank you very much! :)

:D It's good to have you here, Claudia... I'm surprised at the variety of answers as well... dear Classik will have to clear this up for us.

I think you will both find you're getting too complex, Read the "blackboard" in Classik's. "Simple math." Hint?

And by the way, Claudya, I echo the "welcome." :thumbsup

My own esteemed math teachers, most notably Mrs. Ohman and Miss Anderson would be horrified that I would ever try to teach my son math in the first place. Really, I'm terrible at math... but according to the curriculum that we're following, 1 should be the answer.

Found this ...

http://www.mathsisfun.com/operation-order-pemdas.html

Read the last instruction ...

Order of Operations

Do things in Parentheses First. Example:
<table align="center" border="0" cellpadding="3" width="370"><tbody><tr><td class="Larger">
yes.gif
</td><td class="Larger">
</td><td class="Larger">6 × (5 + 3)</td><td class="Larger">=</td><td class="Larger">6 × 8</td><td class="Larger">=</td><td class="Larger">
</td><td class="Larger">
</td></tr><tr><td class="Larger">
no.gif
</td><td class="Larger">
</td><td class="Larger">6 × (5 + 3) </td><td class="Larger">=</td><td class="Larger">30 + 3</td><td class="Larger">=</td><td class="Larger">
33​
</td><td class="Larger">(wrong)</td></tr></tbody></table>
Exponents (Powers, Roots) before Multiply, Divide, Add or Subtract. Example:
<table align="center" border="0" cellpadding="3" width="370"><tbody><tr><td class="Larger">
yes.gif
</td><td class="Larger">
</td><td class="Larger">5 × 2<sup>2</sup></td><td class="Larger">=</td><td class="Larger">5 × 4</td><td class="Larger">=</td><td class="Larger">
</td><td class="Larger">
no.gif
</td><td class="Larger">
</td><td class="Larger">5 × 2<sup>2</sup></td><td class="Larger">=</td><td class="Larger">10<sup>2</sup></td><td class="Larger">=</td><td class="Larger">
100​
Multiply or Divide before you Add or Subtract. Example:
yes.gif
</td><td class="Larger">
</td><td class="Larger">2 + 5 × 3</td><td class="Larger">=</td><td class="Larger">2 + 15</td><td class="Larger">=</td><td class="Larger">
</td><td class="Larger">
no.gif
</td><td class="Larger">
</td><td class="Larger">2 + 5 × 3 </td><td class="Larger">=</td><td class="Larger">7 × 3</td><td class="Larger">=</td><td class="Larger">
21​
Otherwise just go left to right. Example:
<table align="center" border="0" cellpadding="3" height="72" width="370"><tbody><tr><td class="Larger">
yes.gif
</td><td class="Larger">
</td><td class="Larger">30 ÷ 5 × 3 </td><td class="Larger">=</td><td class="Larger">6 × 3</td><td class="Larger">=</td><td class="Larger">
</td><td class="Larger">
no.gif
</td><td class="Larger">
</td><td class="Larger">30 ÷ 5 × 3 </td><td class="Larger">=</td><td class="Larger">30 ÷ 15</td><td class="Larger">=</td><td class="Larger">
2​

Shoot, I can't edit that last post. My point was, it contradicts itself, so there are two possible answers that way, and who is to say which is wrong? I have an aviation engineering degree (from another life) and the standing operating order then was, "no parentheses, go left to right without regard to the type of operation." When did they change it? And if this website is right, every equation has two answers, which is ridiculous.

:crazy Sheesh! Talk about fuzzy math!

I wonder if Classik does know the answer... more importantly would Lionel Messi know the answer! :lol

Shoot, I can't edit that last post. My point was, it contradicts itself, so there are two possible answers that way, and who is to say which is wrong? I have an aviation engineering degree (from another life) and the standing operating order then was, "no parentheses, go left to right without regard to the type of operation." When did they change it? And if this website is right, every equation has two answers, which is ridiculous.

I wonder what that would mean in case of aviation engineering.
"That plane will fly and will not fly, depending on what rules of equation solving are applied. I guess both is right, and we will experience both a successfull test flight and a devastating crash at the very same time in the very same air plane."
You Sir have just successfully split reality. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Classik... what is the official answer? (You always have such controversial topics!!! ) I do hope I'm right... after all I am teaching my son math.
controversial? Hahahaha :toofunny :toofunny :toofunny You are right. Order of operation is important here. Hint: Order of Operation

Something like that, yes. One of my prime accomplishments, when the Army sent me to get that degree, was to design a helicopter airframe that the chair of the Mizzou engineering department said would not work. We built it anyway, because my calculations said it would fly. This was before we had computer simulations of airframe design so we didn't know unless we built it.

Took out to the test range south of Columbia, fired it up, and hit the remote button. The bird sat, shuddered, lifted off ...

... and flew like a dream! We nicknamed it the Bumblebee, because "they can't fly" either. :rolling

If you use order of operation, the first operation is subtracting 5 from9....oh my I'm so confused now i've got a head ache. Pythagorus I really don't like you!!
Whatever approach you use you might be right. However, mathematic rule applies . Sorry for the headache ;)

I got 7 like Claudya. I haven't been in a math class in 9 years though. Wait I'll cheat and punch it into excel.

Excel apparently uses those changed rules of operation I don't know anything about. Good thing I'm working on an MA in applied psychology now. Humph!

There's also a way to make it come out 27. 9 (9 - 5 + 5) X 3 (0 + 3). Sheez! Math is supposed to be an absolute!

OK, my son is a whiz at prime factorization so we took the extra time allotted for math to seek out the answer to this question using his math book and....

the answer is 7!!!!!

I wondered how, when both of us were applying the rules of PEMDAS wrong, that he got 100% on all order of operation questions and believe it or not, not one math problem in the book combined addition and subtraction problems like the one above.

So, I must thank all who contributed here, including Classik (who still hasn't offered his own answer to the problem) with saving my son from a future of math failure such as his mother has faced! :nod

Most of all, I must, from the bottom of my heart, thank Lionel Messi because he's just that awesome!

Back