Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

Soul Sleep yes or no?

Matt 28:20 behold I am with you always!
He was to be with them by the Spirit of the Father by which they would perform miracles in confirmation of the word of truth.This is also called the measure of the gift of Christ because Christ received the gifts from the Father and sent them to his disciples.
These gifts of the Spirit through Christ was to mean that he would be with them until the end of the age. The end of the age came with the destruction of the temple and Jerusalem in AD 70. After which he would no longer be with them in the form of miracles.

I will be with you always, even until the end of the age. After that, seek the truth in God’s word. The RCC hasn’t a clue.

He was to be with them by the Spirit of the Father by which they would perform miracles in confirmation of the word of truth.This is also called the measure of the gift of Christ because Christ received the gifts from the Father and sent them to his disciples.
These gifts of the Spirit through Christ was to mean that he would be with them until the end of the age. The end of the age came with the destruction of the temple and Jerusalem in AD 70. After which he would no longer be with them in the form of miracles.

I will be with you always, even until the end of the age. After that, seek the truth in God’s word. The RCC hasn’t a clue.
Really? Holy mother church?

The apostolic church has not got a clue? Does this go for the founder of the church? Jesus Christ? Lk 10:16

Christ and His church are one mystical unity by faith & baptism!

(Faith and baptism)

Ez 36:25-27
Mk 16:16
Jn 3:5 Jn 3:22
Acts 2:38-39
Acts 8:36-38
Acts 22:16

(Unity)

Isa 53:5
Matt 25:40
Jn 15:4-5
Eph 5:24
Eph 5:32
Phil 4:13

(((The church and the revealed truth are of divine origin and can no more be reformed than God Himself!)))

Psalm 23

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. (Jn 10:11)

2 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. (Holy mother church & baptism)

3 He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake. (Narrow road)

4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
(The cross and intercession of Mary)

5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. ( mass, and the sacraments of abundant life and grace)

6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever. (Eternal salvation)

Soul sleep is the teaching that when a person dies, his soul "sleeps" or the denial of man's conscious existence between when he dies and the resurrection day. It's what is called the intermediate state of the believer, in which both the body and the soul lay rest in the ground and the phrase 'soul sleep' appears to have been popularized by John Calvin. In this condition, the person is not aware or conscious till he is made alive at the resurrection by Christ at the Second Coming.

So what does the Bible say at whether you lay in the grave in a non sentient state, awaiting Christ.

Let's look at the story of Lazarus who was raised up from the grave by Christ.
John 11:11-14 - These things said he: and after that he saith unto them, Our friend Lazarus sleepeth; but I go, that I may awake him out of sleep. Then said his disciples, Lord, if he sleep, he shall do well. Howbeit Jesus spake of his death: but they thought that he had spoken of taking of rest in sleep. Then said Jesus unto them plainly, Lazarus is dead. And then in verse 17 Jesus says of Lazarus: 17 Then when Jesus came, he found that he [Lazarus] had lain in the grave four days already.

We see that Jesus equated death to sleep and used the terms interchangeably; and in this story Lazarus has been dead for 4 days. Let's continue:
Verse 43-44: And when he thus had spoken, he cried with a loud voice, Lazarus, come forth. And he that was dead came forth, bound hand and foot with graveclothes: and his face was bound about with a napkin. Jesus saith unto them, Loose him, and let him go.

Now, Lazarus had been dead for 4 days, if he had in fact gone to heaven (or hell) in any conscious form why is nothing told by Lazarus of this? Lazarus does not come back to life with any stories of where he was, what he saw, or anything. He doesn't talk about walking on streets of gold nor burning with fire. After being resurrected he does speak, and all he says is a simple acknowledgement of who was standing there with Jesus. So lets look at the whole Bible and see what we find.
Jesus' use of sleep as a metaphor for death, and Lazarus' silence about any experiences during his four days of death, do lend credence to the idea of a dormant state between death and resurrection.

But the human mind may not be capable of fully comprehending or retaining experiences beyond our earthly existence.

The idea of "soul sleep" might offer comfort to some, alleviating fears about an unknown interim state. It simplifies the journey from death to resurrection, providing a sense of continuity and peace.

What matters most is not the specifics of what happens immediately after death, but our faith in God's infinite love and the promise of resurrection. We should focus on living lives of compassion, kindness, and service, trusting that our eternal destiny rests in the hands of a merciful Creator.

I speak for myself and from my experience, just as buried in the Jewish concept back in Jesus' days, "good people" fall asleep or enter God's rest, while "bad people" will be awaken in sheol/Hades till the Final Judgment comes (i.e., God refuses them to enter His rest).

Back