Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

Tasted Death for every Man !

No. "THE FRUIT OF THE SPIRIT". The "OF THE" is in the genitive case which denotes ownership.
The fruit belongs to the Holy Spriit, not to man. The fruits are those imbued into those saved, given by the Holy Spirit, which fruit, weren't within them beforehand.

English:of the
Code:T-GSN
Long:Definite article - Genitive Singular Neuter
Speech:Definite article
Case:Genitive
Genitive:
The genitive case refers to the case used for a noun, pronoun, or adjective to show ownership.
Like I said, the fruits of the Spirit are evidenced in those who walk by the Spirit.

True the Spirit works in us by leading us, but only as we follow - careful to walk by the Spirit, so that the Spirit will give us eternal life.

Galatians 6:7-9 (WEB) 7 {{Do not be deceived. God is not mocked}}, for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap. 8 For he who sows to his own flesh will from the flesh reap destruction. But he who sows to the Spirit will {{from the Spirit}} reap eternal life. 9 Let us not be weary in doing good, for we will reap in due season, {{if we}} do not give up.

Romans 8:3-4 (WEB) 3 For what the law couldn’t do; in that, it was weak through the flesh, God did, sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and for sin, he condemned sin in the flesh; 4 that the ordinance of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

Romans 8:12-14 (NIV) 12 Therefore, brothers and sisters, we have an obligation — but it is not to the flesh, to live according to it.13 For if you live according to the flesh, you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the misdeeds of the body, you will live. 14 For those who are led by the Spirit of God are the children of God.

Galatians 5:24-25 (NIV) 24 Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. 25 Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit.

The Christian is to continue in the same faith he had when he received the Spirit, because Christians will grieve (Ephesians 4:17-32; Isaiah 63:10); quench (1 Thessalonians 5:19); insult (Hebrews 10:24-31); resist (Act 7:51), reject (1 Thessalonians 4:1-8), lie to (Acts 5:3), and test (Acts 5:9), the Spirit of God indwelling them, which can result in eternal punishment if not repented of (Hebrews 10:24-30); for the Spirit will only give eternal life to those Christians who continue to sow to the Spirit without giving up (Galatians 6:7-9).

You might add Acts 2:38 to your list..."Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost."
First, repentance from sin.
Then, baptism in the name of the Lord for the remission of past sin.
Finally the gift of the Holy Ghost.

The Spirit will not inhabit a polluted temple.

Nothing about the spiritul state of a person, only that they were ordained to it.

[Act 13:48 KJV] 48 And when the Gentiles heard this, they were glad, and glorified the word of the Lord: and as many as were ordained to eternal life believed.

True the Spirit works in us by leading us, but only as we follow - careful to walk by the Spirit, so that the Spirit will give us eternal life.

That is simply not what the verse says - you are making it up as you go along. True faith is only imparted from, by, and through the Holy Spirit into man, not by man.

Nothing about the spiritul state of a person, only that they were ordained to it.

[Act 13:48 KJV] 48 And when the Gentiles heard this, they were glad, and glorified the word of the Lord: and as many as were ordained to eternal life believed.
Repentance and baptism are necessary to receive the Spirit.
Those are things we do.

Repentance and baptism are necessary to receive the Spirit.
Those are things we do.
That is not in the verse I posted. "ordained", and ordained alone, was in the verse I posted.
Nothing is necessary beforehand other than we were chosen by God to be saved.
It is all, and is only, given by God as a gift, in the deepest, fullest, and most profound sense of the word, gift.
If someone must do something for it, then it isn't a gift, it is of a work.

By Christ's faith, not ours. Salvation was by Christ. That is why He is the Saviour and us not.
"Faith of Christ" is used six times out of about 270 times that the word "faith" is used in the NT.

Six times that "faith of Christ" is used: (Romans 3:22, 26, Galatians 2:16, 3:22, Revelation 14:12),.

Four times out of six, "faith of Christ" is used to mean that, because Christ was faithful, his righteousness is accredited to us through faith him. Christ was faithful, and so by faith in him we are justified by his grace. Therefore, those who believe in Christ are NOT imputed with Christ's faith, but rather, the faithful are imputed with Christ's righteousness by faith in him.

Romans 3:22 (Young's Literal Translation) 22 and the righteousness of God [is] through the faith of Jesus Christ to all, and upon all those believing, -- for there is no difference

Galatians 3:26 (Young's Literal Translation) 16 having known also that a man is not declared righteous by works of law, if not through the faith of Jesus Christ, also we in Christ Jesus did believe,

that we might be declared righteous by the faith of Christ, and not by works of law, wherefore declared righteous by works of law shall be no flesh.'

Galatians 3:22 (Young's Literal Translation) 22 but the Writing did shut up the whole under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ may be given to those believing.

Two out of six times that "faith of Christ" means that we are to have faith in Christ that is the same as that of Christ Jesus. Lord Jesus is our example of faith that we follow. These two instances do NOT state that Christ's faith is imputed to us.

Romans 3:26 (Young's Literal Translation) for the shewing forth of His righteousness in the present time, for His being righteous, and declaring him righteous who [is] of the faith of Jesus.

Revelation 14:12 (Young's Literal Translation) 12 Here is endurance of the saints: here [are] those keeping the commands of God, and the faith of Jesus.'

Lord Jesus is our example {{{of the faith}}} we are to follow to be saved:

• 1 John 2:4-6 (WEB) 5 This is how we know that we are in him: 6 he who says he remains in him ought himself also to walk {{just like he walked}}.
  • 1 Peter 2:21 (WEB) 21 For you were called to this, because Christ also suffered for us, leaving you {{{an example, that you should follow}}} {{in his steps}}, 22 who didn’t sin, “neither was deceit found in his mouth.” [Isaiah 53:9]
  • 1 John 3:16 (WEB) 16 By this we know love, because {{{he laid down his life for us}}}. And we ought to lay down our lives for the brothers.
  • Revelation 3:21 (WEB) 21 He who overcomes, I will give to him to sit down with me on my throne, {{as I also overcame}}, and sat down with my Father on his throne.
  • Matthew 10:38 (WEB) 38 He who does not take his cross and {{follow after me}} is not worthy of me.
  • John 10:27-28 (WEB) 27 My sheep listen my voice, and I know them, and they {{follow me}}. 28 I give eternal life to them.
  • John 15:10 (WEB) 10 If you keep my commandments, you will remain in my love; even as I {{have kept my Father’s commandments, and remain in his love}}.

The Passages I gave explain the faith by which God saves us.

If your faith is not demonstrated by listening to and following Lord Jesus (John 10:27-29), living by His Spirit (Galatians 5:24-25) then you do not belong to Christ, your faith is empty.

Make it easy, what's your point?
Four times out of six, "faith of Christ" is used to mean that, because Christ was faithful, his righteousness is accredited to us through faith him. Christ was faithful, and so by faith in him we are justified by his grace. Therefore, those who believe in Christ are NOT imputed with Christ's faith, but rather, the faithful are imputed with Christ's righteousness by faith in him.

Two out of six times that "faith of Christ" means that we are to have faith in Christ that is the same as that of Christ Jesus. Lord Jesus is our example of faith that we follow. These two instances do NOT state that Christ's faith is imputed to us.

Therefore, none of the six times "faith of Christ" is used means that God is giving us faith. Rather, as the Scriptures teach, which I gave you, is that we receive the eternal life and justification that the faith of Christ procured for us by putting our own faith in Lord Jesus.

By out faith we take possession of the Eternal Life that Christ purchased for those who believe.

The Passages I gave explain the faith by which God saves us.

If your faith is not demonstrated by listening to and following Lord Jesus (John 10:27-29), living by His Spirit (Galatians 5:24-25) then you do not belong to Christ, your faith is empty.

Huh? Is, or is not, Christ the Saviour? I thought that earlier you agreed salvation is by Christ alone.
Are you changing that now? If Christ is the one who saves, then it must be that the faith that saves is Christ's faith, not ours. How could it be otherwise - it's pretty simple really: Christ = Saviour then Christ's faith = salvation, right?

they are evidenced in them but came only by Him. So, faith, to be a true faith, must be of God's doing,
not man's.
I never denied that the fruits are not of the Spirit. So why do you keep bringing a point up that no one disagrees with. You are bringing up strawman that no one has an issue with but you.

However, it is our faith by which God chooses to save us (John 3:16).

Christ was faithful, and so by faith in him we are justified by his grace.

No, not in Him, by Him. Our faith comes only as a result of His faith and of His righteousness, which is imputed to us.

[Gal 2:16 KJV] 16 Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.

I never denied that the fruits are not of the Spirit. So why do you keep bringing a point up that no one disagrees with. You are bringing up strawman that no one has an issue with but you.

However, it is our faith by which God chooses to save us (John 3:16).
Oh my, you're losing it. I'll try this again: true faith only comes FROM having been saved, indwelt by the Holy Spirit,
and born again, by which, true faith is given. We are NOT saved by our faith. Our faith is a gift OF salvation -
it does not bring salvation.

Huh? Is, or is not, Christ the Saviour? I thought that earlier you agreed salvation is by Christ alone.
Are you changing that now? If Christ is the one who saves, then it must be that the faith that saves is Christ's faith, not ours. How could it be otherwise - it's pretty simple really: Christ = Saviour then Christ's faith = salvation, right?

Lord Jesus is the Savior, and he saves those who believe, evidenced by listening to and following him and is signified in Baptism - dying to the old life, and rising to live a new life, slaves to righteousness and love (Romans 6; Colossians 3:1-17).

Galatians 5:24-25 (WEB) 24 Those who belong to Christ have crucified the flesh with its passions and lusts. 25 If we live by the Spirit, let us also walk by the Spirit.

Galatians 6:7-9 (WEB) 7 Do not be deceived. God is not mocked, for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap. 8 For he who sows to his own flesh will from the flesh reap destruction. But he who sows to the Spirit will {{{from the Spirit}}} reap eternal life. 9 Let us not be weary in doing good, for we will reap in due season, {{{{if we}}}} do not give up.

John 10:27 My sheep hear (listen) my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. 28 I give eternal life to {{{them}}}. {{{They}}} will never perish, and no one will snatch {{{them}}} out of my hand. 29 My Father who has given {{{them}}} to me is greater than all. No one is able to snatch them out of my Father’s hand.

Question: Who are the {{{them}}} and {{{they}}} whom the Father {{{gives}}} to the Son?

Answer: The Father gives to the Son those sheep who listen to and follow His Son. Those sheep who listen to and follow the Son are given eternal life and no one can snatch from his hand. The "Promise" is for those who believe; {{{for}}} that is the will of the Father (John 6:40).

Hebrews 5:9 (EWEB) Having been made perfect, he became the source of eternal salvation for all who obey him

Romans 1:5
(ENIV) Through him we received grace and apostleship to call all the Gentiles to the obedience that comes from faith

Oh my, you're losing it. I'll try this again: true faith only comes FROM having been saved, indwelt by the Holy Spirit,
and born again, by which, true faith is given. We are NOT saved by our faith. Our faith is a gift OF salvation -
it does not bring salvation.
That is not the Gospel.

By faith we are saved because of the Gospel. You got it all backwards. The Scriptures never teach that we are saved so we can believe.

Faith of Christ, never means that God gives us faith. I gave you the six Scriptures, with "faith of Christ" in it to read for yourself.

John 3:14-18 (WEB) 14 As Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of Man be lifted up, 15 that whoever believes in him should not perish, but have eternal life. 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish, but have eternal life. 17 For God didn’t send his Son into the world to judge the world, but that the world should be saved through him. 18 He who believes in him is not judged. He who doesn’t believe has been judged already, because he has not believed in the name of the one and only Son of God.

Lord Jesus is the Savior, and he saves those who believe,

If He only saves those who believe, then He isn't the Savior, the person is because he gave to himself his belief.
It is a logical impossibility for someone's Saviour to be other than the one who gave to them their faith.

That is not in the verse I posted. "ordained", and ordained alone, was in the verse I posted.
Nothing is necessary beforehand other than we were chosen by God to be saved.
It is all, and is only, given by God as a gift, in the deepest, fullest, and most profound sense of the word, gift.
If someone must do something for it, then it isn't a gift, it is of a work.
Every man is chosen by God to be saved.
It is written..."Behold, all souls are mine; as the soul of the father, so also the soul of the son is mine: the soul that sinneth, it shall die." (Ezek 18:4)

I was once praying about a Nigerian man I had brought the gospel to.
His motives for being friendly to me though, were suspect.
I asked God if this man was anything special, or one of His.
The Lord responded with..."They are all mine."
So for you to opine that God is only picking out a random sampling is really...unGodly.

If He only saves those who believe, then He isn't the Savior, the person is because he gave to himself his belief.
It is a logical impossibility for someone's Saviour to be other than the one who gave to them their faith.
That is your opinion. I live by the Scriptures.

Back