Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Tasted Death for every Man !

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
How could Jesus' death and resurrection impact those who died a hundred or thousand years before Him ?
They couldn't repent of sin or be baptized using His name for the remission of past sins.
All men, from all times, will be judged by their consciences.
Those, post-Christ, have been supplied mighty weapons for the fight for our souls.
Weapons the pre-Christ men did not have.
I lost my reply!

Jesus died for all men, for all the world.
This means everyone that ever lived.

Also, Jesus is our atonement...everyone that was ever saved, was saved by HIS power.
Jesus is the propitiation for all men.

With God there is no time.
Jesus died in time, but God is not in time and Jesus had died already from the beginning.

• Prior to Jesus on the cross, all people (Jews and Non-Jews, from Adam until Jesus) were saved on an ‘I OWE YOU’ kind of system (kinda like Layaway). They were ‘saved’ knowing that one day their sins would be fully paid for by Jesus. God held them close until the work was done.
  • When Jesus died for the sins of the whole world, His sacrifice covered everyone, past, present and future. He was the only One who could die and cover any sin at all, much less all the sin of the world. He could do that because He was God (infinite) and human (legit to be a sacrifice for humans). Pretty cool huh?
  • Bottom line – everyone has been ‘saved’ based on their relationship to God, and Jesus cleaned up the mess.
source: https://www.idisciple.org/post/what-happened-to-people-before-jesus-died-on-the-cross

No, it doesn't.
Does the scripture from Heb 2:9 say "all men", or not ?
I know what it says, and what it means. The every man Christ tasted death for are by that taste of death brought to Glory Heb 2:9-10 so if a person isnt brought to Glory, its simple, Christ didn't taste death for that person. Now you either accept that truth or you dont !

"Might"
used to express possibility or make a suggestion:

"Everyone"
every person

By the grace of God, "Might taste death for everyone"
Hi there, so where do you see the word might in Heb 2:9

9 But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honour; that he by the grace of God should taste death for every man.

If people dont agree with my view, which I know its the truth, thats fine. I give what I believe to be the truth, you give what you believe the truth. I believe Heb 2:9-10 teaches that every person Christ dies for shall be saved, brought to Glory. We know everyone without exception are not going to be saved, so hence, I believe in limited effectual atonement, and obviously others do not. However I would say that those who dont, limit the efficasiousness of Christs death, where I limit its extent, so its limited one way or the other, unless of course one is a universalist, which is worse or just as bad.
I believe our will is involved.

Yeah but the word in the original is γεύσηται γεύομαι:

1. to taste, to try the flavour of
  2. to taste
    1. i.e. perceive the flavour of, partake of, enjoy
    2. to feel, make trial of, experience
  3. to take food, eat, to take nourishment, eat

There's nothing uncertain about it. I agree with the kjv rendering, should taste death, or better still it can be rendered " must taste death"

Jesus said once Luke 24:7

Saying, The Son of man must be delivered into the hands of sinful men, and be crucified, and the third day rise

Mark 8:31
And he began to teach them, that the Son of man must suffer many things, and be rejected of the elders, and of the chief priests, and scribes, and be killed, and after three days rise again.

So I believe the death in Heb 2:9 and the crucified in Lk 24:7 and the killed in Mk 8:31 are all the same event, what you think ?

This tasting of death by Christ must be done according to Gods purpose.

I know what it says, and what it means. The every man Christ tasted death for are by that taste of death brought to Glory Heb 2:9-10 so if a person isnt brought to Glory, its simple, Christ didn't taste death for that person. Now you either accept that truth or you dont !

To expound a little further on that brightfame52, we are told in Hebrews 1:3, that Christ had by Himself, PURGED our sins. Since already having been purged, it means that all sins, past, present, future, were cleansed and wiped out in their entirety, forever - they were not left in some sort of state of spiritual suspended animation, nor of partial existence, nor of being held over the heads of those sinners awaiting their actions to complete the removal, but instead, that through Christ, they no longer exist in any form whatsoever - they are gone. Therefore, for those, and only for those, for whom Christ tasted death, they must become saved and be given glory, otherwise, Christ's sacrifice did not accomplish what we are clearly told that it did accomplish.

[Heb 1:3 KJV] 3 Who being the brightness of [his] glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high;

I believe our will is involved.
It is, it has no choice since Christ by tasting death for an individual brings them, their will, to Glory. A persons will is part of their person, so when Christ brings a person to Glory, their will is included with no problem at all.

rogerg

To expound a little further on that brightfame52, we are told in Hebrews 1:3, that Christ had by Himself, PURGED our sins.

Thats right, and that there is Legal Forgiveness/Justification, that word purged katharismos:
  1. a cleansing from the guilt of sins wrought by the expiatory sacrifice of Christ

So as far as God is concerned, everyone Christ died for, is sin free, cleared, sin will not be imputed legally to their charge for Christs sake.
. Since already having been purged, it means that all sins, past, present, future, were cleansed and wiped out in their entirety, forever - they were not left in some sort of state of spiritual suspended animation, nor of partial existence, nor of being held over the heads of those sinners awaiting their actions to complete the removal, but instead, that through Christ, they no longer exist in any form whatsoever - they are gone.
Well said !
Therefore, for those, and only for those, for whom Christ tasted death, they must become saved and be given glory, otherwise, Christ's sacrifice did not accomplish what we are clearly told that it did accomplish.

Exactly. Heb 2:9 and Heb 1:3 are speaking about the same thing, His death

It is, it has no choice since Christ by tasting death for an individual brings them, their will, to Glory. A persons will is part of their person, so when Christ brings a person to Glory, their will is included with no problem at all.
Brainwashed by God? He's very good because I humbled myself before Him.

Brainwashed by God? He's very good because I humbled myself before Him.
No. Un brainwashed.

[2Co 4:3-4 KJV]
3 But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost:
4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.

I didn't read that in the NT. (has no choice)

I read Jesus's desire vs their will
O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, you who kill the prophets and stone those who are sent to you! How often I have longed to gather your children together as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, but you would have none of it!

No. Un brainwashed.

[2Co 4:3-4 KJV]
3 But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost:
4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.
1/3 of the angels sinned as well. You think God's will was for them to sin against Him?

Yes, an enemy of God sows the weeds.

Everyone born is born spiritually blind (or brainwashed).
Only those born-again (the elect), by God, become unblinded (or un-brainwashed), the rest remain so.
“I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. 2 He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful.

“I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. 2 He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful.

Again, I don't understand the point you are making. I'd rather not make any assumptions.

I know what it says, and what it means.
You don't really seem to understand it.
The every man Christ tasted death for are by that taste of death brought to Glory Heb 2:9-10
That is not what it says.
It says that Jesus died for every man brought to glory.
They would be just a part of all those Jesus died for, as so many refused the offer.
so if a person isnt brought to Glory, its simple, Christ didn't taste death for that person. Now you either accept that truth or you dont !
It is not the truth.
Jesus tasted death for all men at His crucifixion for the sins of all men who would submit to God.
Some of those Jesus died for did not submit.

To expound a little further on that brightfame52, we are told in Hebrews 1:3, that Christ had by Himself, PURGED our sins. Since already having been purged, it means that all sins, past, present, future, were cleansed and wiped out in their entirety, forever - they were not left in some sort of state of spiritual suspended animation, nor of partial existence, nor of being held over the heads of those sinners awaiting their actions to complete the removal, but instead, that through Christ, they no longer exist in any form whatsoever - they are gone. Therefore, for those, and only for those, for whom Christ tasted death, they must become saved and be given glory, otherwise, Christ's sacrifice did not accomplish what we are clearly told that it did accomplish.
That is the interpretation of God's word by those who want to keep committing sin.
"Past, present, and future"...what a hoot.
[Heb 1:3 KJV] 3 Who being the brightness of [his] glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high;
How can something that hasn't happened yet be "purged" ?

Don't you believe in re-birth from God's seed ?

hat is the interpretation of God's word by those who want to keep committing sin.
"Past, present, and future"...what a hoot.

That's a ludicrous proposition and you rightly lose credibility by stating it.
Nice to see you've felt it necessary to take over from God as judge. Guess you think you know better than He does.
You don't like what those verses tell us because they clearly invalidate your pov.

How can something that hasn't happened yet be "purged" ?
Because, regarding salvation, by Jesus Christ, for the elect, He took out of the way the law that would otherwise convict them and which makes sin, sin. Everyone ever born, were born under and into that law. Hence, no law, no sin. Only the non-elect will remain under it and will suffer God's judgment accordingly. Read 1 Co 15:56 - 57, below.
It is very revealing that you should choose to contradict that which is explicitly written within the verse itself - that sin was purged by Christ. What part of it do you find unacceptable and how would you change it? By taking out the "purged"? Remember, that word wasn't placed there by me - it was by God. What do you think purged in that context means?
By your criticism you try to change the intent of scripture - or is it that you consider yourself to be a new prophet bringing forth new biblical revelation?

[1Co 15:55-57 KJV]
55 O death, where [is] thy sting? O grave, where [is] thy victory?
56 The sting of death [is] sin; and the strength of sin [is] the law.
57 But thanks [be] to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.
Don't you believe in re-birth from God's seed ?
I don't know what you mean.

Last edited:

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back