Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Tasted Death for every Man !

The elect are all in Him. All are elect in Christ.

All things were created "in Christ" (not "by", but rather "in", Gk. ἐν αὐτῷ), and "through Christ" and "for Christ".

Those three prepositional phrases are all being used by Paul in Col 1:16. The universal language that Paul calls "all things" is staring you directly in the face.

And not only, it even gets better. Also, all things have consisted in Christ (Col 1:17) and are reconciled to Christ (Col 1:20). Even death itself, called "the last enemy" is "reconciled" by being abolished and destroyed by Christ (1Co 15:26).

If everyone is elect, then the names of everyone who has ever lived must be in the book of life at the end of the world in order to be saved.

[Rev 17:8 KJV] 8 The beast that thou sawest was, and is not; and shall ascend out of the bottomless pit, and go into perdition: and they that dwell on the earth shall wonder, whose names were not written in the book of life from the foundation of the world, when they behold the beast that was, and is not, and yet is.

[Rev 20:12 KJV] 12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is [the book] of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.

[Rev 20:15 KJV] 15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

Yes, the flesh, is called "death" (Rom 7:24). The "flesh" (ie: death) and it's works are not found or written in the book of "life". That should be obvious from just reading the text, here:

Rev 20:12 and I saw the dead, small and great, standing before God, and scrolls were opened, and another scroll was opened, which is that of the life, and the dead were judged out of the things written in the scrollsaccording to their works;

The works of the flesh are recorded in the scrolls (plural). Not the scroll of life (singular).

You and I, as well as all human beings consist of both "flesh" and "spirit". We are both "goat" and "sheep", "Esau" and "Jacob", we are both Israel and Judah, Gentile and Jew, loved and hated, having two eyes, two hands and two feet of which one is fit for destruction (Mat 18:8-9).

Within us are the two son's of Abraham, one of Sarah (the free-woman "spirit") and the other of Hagar (the bondwoman "flesh"). You (singular) consist of both elements (plural). One from the earth below (Mt. Sinai, "flesh") and the other from the Jerusalem above ("spirit"), see Gen 2:7 for context.

I don't follow your reply. Bottom line: those not found in the Book of Life God will cast into the lake of fire. There is just no wiggle room to another conclusion possible from that verse.

Yes, the flesh is not found in the book of life. It's death. D-E-A-T-H. Death (the flesh) is also the last enemy to be destroyed/done away with:

1Co 15:26 the last enemy is done away—death;

Rev_20:13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.
Rev_20:14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.

Rev 21:3 and I heard a great voice out of the heaven, saying, 'Lo, the tabernacle of God is with men, and He will tabernacle with them, and they shall be His peoples, and God Himself shall be with them—their God,
Rev_21:4 And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.

Look at Rev 21:3 in particular. It's speaking of unbelievers. Not believers. Believers are already (present tense) the temple/tabernacle of God, they are already (present tense) His people and God is already (present tense) their God. The verbs in Rev 21:3 are all being used in the future tense. These events are waiting to happen after death (the flesh) is no more.

I'm gonna have to go back to a prior post of yours that we are just too far away from each other to communicate.

The elect are all in Him. All are elect in Christ.

All things were created "in Christ" (not "by", but rather "in", Gk. ἐν αὐτῷ), and "through Christ" and "for Christ".

Those three prepositional phrases are all being used by Paul in Col 1:16. The universal language that Paul calls "all things" is staring you directly in the face.

And not only, it even gets better. Also, all things have consisted in Christ (Col 1:17) and are reconciled to Christ (Col 1:20). Even death itself, called "the last enemy" is "reconciled" by being abolished and destroyed by Christ (1Co 15:26).
Is the devil and his angels reconciled to God by and through Jesus Christ ? Did Jesus Christ die for and put away the sins of the devil and his angels, for they sinned against God 2 Pet 2:4

For if God spared not the angels that sinned, but cast them down to hell, and delivered them into chains of darkness, to be reserved unto judgment;

Yes or no

I've answered this too. I believe scripture teaches the universal reconciliation of all things back to Christ (God), as they were originally created in, through and for Him. This also includes all being "saved" (their salvation) and their having a "full knowledge of the truth", stated here:

1Ti 2:3 for this is right and acceptable before God our Saviour,
1Ti 2:4 who doth will all men to be saved, and to come to the full knowledge of the truth;

You might as well believe it now. This truth is not going anywhere. What Jesus wants, Jesus gets.

Why do you insist on denying it?
Please dont teach universalism in this forum !

Yes, the flesh is not found in the book of life. It's death. D-E-A-T-H. Death (the flesh) is also the last enemy to be destroyed/done away with:

Okay, I pondered your post to try to isolate the differences between our points of view.

This is what I found:

1) You are correct, death will be the last enemy to be destroyed. But... (that) death it is not THE death.
The death for the unsaved, is the SECOND DEATH and is death eternal. That is why God makes distinction
between the two deaths. The distinction being that one is physical death, the other spiritual death.
Notice in Rev 20:5 -6, that only those saved (only those of the first resurrection) are safe from the second death.
So, if some won't suffer it, then the others must suffer it. We can see that by the "the second death hath no
power". If the second death has no power on those of the first resurrection, then it definitely must have power over
those not of the first resurrection.

[Rev 20:5-6 KJV]
5 But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished. This [is] the first resurrection.
6 Blessed and holy [is] he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years.

We can also see in the following verses that there will be torment for the unsaved for "ever and ever".

[Rev 14:10-11 KJV]
10 The same shall drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is poured out without mixture into the cup of his indignation; and he shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels, and in the presence of the Lamb:
11 And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day nor night, who worship the beast and his image, and whosoever receiveth the mark of his name.

Also, in Luke 16:25, the "now he is comforted, and thou art tormented".

[Luk 16:25 KJV] 25 But Abraham said, Son, remember that thou in thy lifetime receivedst thy good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and thou art tormented.

Look at Rev 21:3 in particular. It's speaking of unbelievers. Not believers. Believers are already (present tense) the temple/tabernacle of God, they are already (present tense) His people and God is already (present tense) their God. The verbs (high-lighted/underlined) in Rev 21:3 are being used in the future tense/indicative mood. These events are waiting to happen after death (the flesh) is no more.

Rev 21:3 is NOT speaking of unbelievers. The tenses are different because the perspectives being conveyed are different. As demonstrated by the above verses, only the saved will not suffer the second death, and be the citizens of the new holy city. Look at Rev 3:12. Only those who "overcometh" (through Christ), will be in the temple of God and of
the new Jerusalem.

[Rev 3:12 KJV]
12 Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, [which is] new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from my God: and [I will write upon him] my new name.

Rev 21:3 is speaking of the time WHEN the new Jerusalem, the heavenly Jerusalem, comes down from
heaven, which occurs at the end of time, but was a future event relative to the perspective of John when he was writing of it. However, the voice that John heard was describing that which began to occur after Christ's offering was completed and will continue until the end of time - that those who are to become saved/born again (His elect), are indwelt with the Holy Spirit (God). John, on the other hand, was speaking prophetically - of something that would occur - not something that was occurring: those events obviously had not yet occurred, neither could they have at the time of John's writing of them. For example, the first heaven and earth had not passed away, and the new heaven and new earth had not come down from heaven.

[Rev 21:1-3 KJV]
1 And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea.
2 And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.
3 And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God [is] with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, [and be] their God.

[Heb 9:11-12 KJV]
11 But Christ being come an high priest of good things to come, by a greater and more perfect tabernacle, not made with hands, that is to say, not of this building;
12 Neither by the blood of goats and calves, but by his own blood he entered in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption [for us].

Simply look at the Gk. word "καταργειται" in the text, it means: To render inactive, idle, useless, ineffective. It doesn't matter what order in which death arrives. Death in the text is defined as being the "last enemy": The last enemy is "Death" and it is to be done away with.

I don't follow your point about Gen 2:7, but nevertheless, you're probably correct .

It isn't a question of when death arrives, it is of what death it is. One is physical; the other spiritual. The spiritual is eternal for those who are to suffer it.

Additionally, there is no "death eternal". Death, called "the last enemy", is to be abolished, as shown here:

1Co 15:26 the last enemy is done away—death;

There are TWO different deaths - that is why God gave them two different names - because they represent
two different things. The death done away with is physical death, not spiritual death. Spiritual death is not
applicable to those saved but is to the unsaved.

No sense continuing beyond this point. As you probably can see, I emphatically disagree, and believe incorrect,
everything that you've posted.

I don't follow your point about Gen 2:7, but nevertheless, you're probably correct .

It isn't a question of when death arrives, it is of what death it is. One is physical; the other spiritual. The spiritual is eternal for those who are to suffer it.

There are TWO different deaths - that is why God gave them two different names - because they represent
two different things. The death done away with is physical death, not spiritual death. Spiritual death is not
applicable to those saved but is to the unsaved.

No sense continuing beyond this point. As you probably can see, I emphatically disagree, and believe incorrect,
everything that you've posted.
We've already discussed this in another post, and perhaps where our disagreement continues.

The soul is dead to the spirit of man, until subsequently being regenerated from above. The reason for this is that the soul is imputed with the sins of the flesh, due to the fact of having jurisdiction over the flesh, and consequently dies accordingly (Eze 18:4).

However, the spirit of man itself is not dead, although it is stained by the works of the flesh (2Co 7:1), the sins of the flesh are not imputed against the spirit.

The spirit of man is derived directly from the Holy Spirit, God Himself. It's called the breath of life. And it continues to be called the breath of life even after the fall of Adam (Gen 6:17; 7:15; and 7:22).

Perhaps you're right. We'll just have to disagree on this one.

The writer of Hebrews wrote Heb 2:9

9 But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honour; that he by the grace of God should taste death for every man.

Now honestly, did the writer write here that Christ tasted death for all mankind without exception here ? Nope he did not. In the original man isnt in the verse:

τὸν δὲ βραχύ τι παρ᾽ ἀγγέλους ἠλαττωμένον βλέπομεν Ἰησοῦν διὰ τὸ πάθημα τοῦ θανάτου δόξῃ καὶ τιμῇ ἐστεφανωμένον ὅπως χάριτι θεοῦ ὑπὲρ παντὸς γεύσηται θανάτου

Man was added by the translators. The word pas can refer to all the whole, the sum total of all the group intended. Context is important n determining the group that the writer has in mind. Lets look at the very next verse 10

10 For it became him, for whom are all things, and by whom are all things, in bringing many sons unto glory, to make the captain of their salvation perfect through sufferings.

Bingo, its the many sons that e suffered and died for, or tasted death for,
The word many polys:

many, much, large, many, numerous, great

He tasted death for many Sons, a great number of them, everyone of them. This is important,, because later in the same epistle the writer uses the adjective many again to denote who He tasted death for Heb 9:28

So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation.

See to taste death back in Heb 2:9 is the exact same thing as " to bear the sins of many;" again, the many Sons of vs 10, everyone of the sons is who He tasted death for, not all of mankind without exception.

See Isa 53:11

He shall see of the travail of his soul, and shall be satisfied: by his knowledge shall my righteous servant justify many; for he shall bear their iniquities.

I see, so your point is Jesus tasted death for every?

Every angel?
Every animal?
Every what if not every human being?

Read what I posted

I did which is why I posted.

Now honestly, did the writer write here that Christ tasted death for all mankind without exception here ? Nope he did not. In the original man isnt in the verse:

τὸν δὲ βραχύ τι παρ᾽ ἀγγέλους ἠλαττωμένον βλέπομεν Ἰησοῦν διὰ τὸ πάθημα τοῦ θανάτου δόξῃ καὶ τιμῇ ἐστεφανωμένον ὅπως χάριτι θεοῦ ὑπὲρ παντὸς γεύσηται θανάτου

Man was added by the translators.

But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honour; that he by the grace of God should taste death for every man. Hebrews 2:9 KJV

But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels, for the suffering of death crowned with glory and honor, that He, by the grace of God, might taste death for everyone. Hebrews 2:9 NKJV

Again, I ask the question, because you claim the scriptures don’t say Christ died for everyone; for all mankind.

Who do you claim “everyone” stands for?

Every angel?
Every animal?
Every what if not every human being?

JLB

Again, I ask the question, because you claim the scriptures don’t say Christ died for everyone; for all mankind.

Who do you claim “everyone” stands for?

The "all" is everyone whom the Father gave to the Son, and all to whom the Father gives the Son, are those who Christ died for, and those whom He saves. Both are the same people.
It cannot be other than, nor a number greater number than, those. This does not include everyone.

[Jhn 6:37, 39 KJV]
37 All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out. ...
39 And this is the Father's will which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day.
[
Jhn 6:44-45 KJV]
44 No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.
45 It is written in the prophets, And they shall be all taught of God. Every man therefore that hath heard, and hath learned of the Father, cometh unto me.

Back