Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Tasted Death for every Man !

I did which is why I posted.

But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honour; that he by the grace of God should taste death for every man. Hebrews 2:9 KJV

But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels, for the suffering of death crowned with glory and honor, that He, by the grace of God, might taste death for everyone. Hebrews 2:9 NKJV

Again, I ask the question, because you claim the scriptures don’t say Christ died for everyone; for all mankind.

Who do you claim “everyone” stands for?

Every angel?
Every animal?
Every what if not every human being?

JLB
Okay then you know what I believe if you read it.

I did which is why I posted.

But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honour; that he by the grace of God should taste death for every man. Hebrews 2:9 KJV

But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels, for the suffering of death crowned with glory and honor, that He, by the grace of God, might taste death for everyone. Hebrews 2:9 NKJV

Again, I ask the question, because you claim the scriptures don’t say Christ died for everyone; for all mankind.

Who do you claim “everyone” stands for?

Every angel?
Every animal?
Every what if not every human being?

JLB

Sorry, my prior reply said "all" when it should have said "everyone". However, that doesn't change the
result.

He indeed tasted death for every man and he indeed paid for the sins of the entire world. But friend, it needs to be understood that since this is the fact...one will be judged by their rejection of his work on the cross or one will find mercy by placing their faith in him.
Those who have rejected it are NOT written in the lamb's book of life are cast into hell. Revelation 20
He did indeed tasted death for Every man, those who do not receive the love of the truth that they might be saved stand before God with NO ONE to speak for them or justify them. They have rejected God's son and at this point, there is no hope for them.
God did everything to save us from an eternal punishment but rejection of His Son will sentence one into eternal punishment.
God is a Holy and a Just God. He sent His Son that whosever believes in him will have everlasting life. If one believes this they will pick up their cross and follow him. The choice is ours.

The "all" is everyone whom the Father gave to the Son,

But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels, for the suffering of death crowned with glory and honor, that He, by the grace of God, might taste death for everyone. Hebrews 2:9

Where in this verse does it say...everyone whom the Father gave to the Son.

Making up your own words and interjecting them into scripture is not how sound doctrine is taught.

For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. John 3:16

His death was for everyone in the world.

That whosoever believes will receive eternal life.

JLB

But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels, for the suffering of death crowned with glory and honor, that He, by the grace of God, might taste death for everyone. Hebrews 2:9

Making up your own words and interjecting them into scripture is not how sound doctrine is taught.

For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. John 3:16

JLB
It doesn't that's why we have to follow the biblical rule of comparing the spiritual with the spiritual.
The Bible was written as one integrated book, not many independent books. No one verse should be understood
on its own. Further, the logic those verses themselves, tell us there can't be any others because only those the Father gave to Christ will be those raised on the last day:

[Jhn 6:39 KJV] 39 And this is the Father's will which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day.

Last edited:

JLB

If Christ paid for everyone, then their sins have been paid and thrown behind the back of the Father, and are gone.
Once paid, they don't hang around waiting in some neither here-there state.
Should someone need to do something beyond what Christ already did, then by that, it would mean that they have to contribute to the paying of their sins too because His offering would be inadequate. No, Christ's offering was complete and paid, in and of itself, for all of the sins that it was intended to pay for.

Those who truly believe are those who have been saved; that is, true belief comes from salvation; salvation doesn't come from belief.

[Heb 7:25 KJV] 25 Wherefore he is able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by him, seeing he ever liveth to make intercession for them.

The "all" is everyone whom the Father gave to the Son

Hebrews 2:9, the scripture being discussed, certainly doesnt say what you claim.

JLB

Hebrews 2:9, the scripture being discussed, certainly doesnt say what you claim.

JLB

It does, JLB. Did you read the verses following the one you're quoting? They define who it is Christ that speaking of. Here are just two verses. Look at the "I will declare thy name unto my brethren" below. It tells us that they were Christ's brethren BEFORE they even knew God. We know that because they did not yet know the name of God as Saviour - Jesus hadn't yet declared His name to them - nevertheless, they were still counted as His brethren even before they knew Him.
V2:13 continues this thought and also validates the verses that I posted previously by saying "the children which God
hath given me". God gave them to Christ - they didn't give themselves to Christ - but that God alone gave them to Christ. Therefore, by any reasonable analysis, the 'everyone" can only be, and consist of, those alone who were chosen by Him, and not by their choosing of Him - they, being His brethren before they knew Him, were also the children which God had given him.

I could continue with more, but for now I'll leave it at that.

[Heb 2:12-13 KJV] 12 Saying, I will declare thy name unto my brethren, in the midst of the church will I sing praise unto
[Heb 2:13 KJV] 13 And again, I will put my trust in him. And again, Behold I and the children which God hath given me.

He indeed tasted death for every man and he indeed paid for the sins of the entire world. But friend, it needs to be understood that since this is the fact...one will be judged by their rejection of his work on the cross or one will find mercy by placing their faith in him.
Those who have rejected it are NOT written in the lamb's book of life are cast into hell. Revelation 20
He did indeed tasted death for Every man, those who do not receive the love of the truth that they might be saved stand before God with NO ONE to speak for them or justify them. They have rejected God's son and at this point, there is no hope for them.
God did everything to save us from an eternal punishment but rejection of His Son will sentence one into eternal punishment.
God is a Holy and a Just God. He sent His Son that whosever believes in him will have everlasting life. If one believes this they will pick up their cross and follow him. The choice is ours.
No Christ didn't taste death for the entire world, scripture doesnt teach that. Also the ones He tasted death for are saved from their natural sinfulness of rejecting Him, so ultimately, everyone He tasted death for becomes saved and serve Him, and are brought to glory Heb 2:9-10

9 But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honour; that he by the grace of God should taste death for every man.

10 For it became him, for whom are all things, and by whom are all things, in bringing many sons unto glory, to make the captain of their salvation perfect through sufferings.

Now the ones going into perdition, the lake of fire for their sins, He never tasted death for them friend.

No Christ didn't taste death for the entire world, scripture doesnt teach that. Also the ones He tasted death for are saved from their natural sinfulness of rejecting Him, so ultimately, everyone He tasted death for becomes saved and serve Him, and are brought to glory Heb 2:9-10

9 But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honour; that he by the grace of God should taste death for every man.

10 For it became him, for whom are all things, and by whom are all things, in bringing many sons unto glory, to make the captain of their salvation perfect through sufferings.

Now the ones going into perdition, the lake of fire for their sins, He never tasted death for them friend.

He did.
I am the living bread which came down from heaven. If anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever; and the bread that I shall give is My flesh, which I shall give for the life of the world.”
John 6:51
Because God so loved the WORLD.....
He tasted death for all
He died for the sins of all
That "whosoever will" may come.

He did.
I am the living bread which came down from heaven. If anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever; and the bread that I shall give is My flesh, which I shall give for the life of the world.”
John 6:51
Because God so loved the WORLD.....
He tasted death for all
He died for the sins of all
That "whosoever will" may come.

Those who "eat this bread" are the ones who have been taught by the Father, and whom, the Father draws to Christ. However, as is evident, God does not draw everyone. Therefore, the "whosoever", are, and must be, the same people as those drawn by God: His elect. They alone Christ died for, to provide remittance for their sin.

[Jhn 6:44-45 KJV]
44 No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.
45 It is written in the prophets, And they shall be all taught of God. Every man therefore that hath heard, and hath learned of the Father, cometh unto me.

Those who "eat this bread" are the ones who have been taught by the Father, and whom, the Father draws to Christ. However, as is evident, God does not draw everyone. Therefore, the "whosoever", are, and must be, the same people as those drawn by God: His elect. They alone Christ died for, to provide remittance for their sin.

[Jhn 6:44-45 KJV]
44 No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.
45 It is written in the prophets, And they shall be all taught of God. Every man therefore that hath heard, and hath learned of the Father, cometh unto me.

The "all" is everyone whom the Father gave to the Son, and all to whom the Father gives the Son, are those who Christ died for, and those whom He saves. Both are the same people.
It cannot be other than, nor a number greater number than, those. This does not include everyone.
Actually, it does include all, and without any exceptions, here:

Joh 17:2 As thou hast given him power over all flesh, that he should give eternal life to as many as thou hast given him.

Jesus is using the Hebrew expression "flesh" as it relates to all of humanity having a universal application. Examples of this universal expression are found here in the OT:

Gen 6:12 And God looked upon the earth, and, behold, it was corrupt; for all flesh had corrupted his way upon the earth.

Psa 65:2 O thou that hearest prayer, unto thee shall all flesh come.

Isa 40:5 And the glory of the LORD shall be revealed, and all flesh shall see it together: for the mouth of the LORD hath spoken it.

The term "power" (Gk. "εξουσιαν") over "all flesh" in Joh 17:2 is referenced by Paul, here:

1Co 15:24 Then cometh the end, when he shall have delivered up the kingdom to God, even the Father; when he shall have put down all rule and all authority and power.

For some reason, the king's men in Joh 17:2 translated the Gk. term "εξουσιαν" as "power" (though it should have been translated "authority"). They then translated the term correctly as "authority" in 1Co 15:24, and then translated the Gk. term "δυναμιν" as "power" two words later. They must have been working overtime. The KJV has got to go !..lol

Laying that aside, the importance of what Jesus said cannot be under estimated, however, as shown here:

Joh 17:2 As thou hast given him power over all flesh, that he should give eternal life to as many as thou hast given him.

All humanity (flesh) was put under His authority (subjection) and will be given eternal life. Another universal passage of God's saving power and grace for all.

Last edited:
Let's try to visualize the following:

Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.
Revelation 3:20

This is Jesus standing at the door..
Knocking
If anyone hears his voice..
And opens the door
He will come in and dine with them..

The Bible contains this picture of the Savior of the world standing, knocking, wanting to commune with Anyone who will hear his call and open the door...
Do you see that the Spirit is drawing people through this picture?

He's the Savior of the world, standing, knocking, waiting to be answered.

The call has gone out, and the message is that Jesus seeks to save.

The question is, who will answer and let him in.

For God so loved, He sent Him, Jesus laid down His life, and The Spirit draws the sinner to Jesus.

The Father, Son and Spirit work in perfect harmony in effort to reach out to sinful mankind that he or she might know Him and be born of Him.

Actually, it does include all, and without any exceptions, here:

Wait - do you see the "as many as thou have given hast given him", part? It is saying that only those given to Christ
by the Father can/will receive eternal life but no others. That's not clear? God gave Christ power over
all flesh - saved and unsaved alike, but that power was given to Him, so that out of all flesh, He could save those who had been chosen to salvation, and to not save those not chosen to salvation.
I not sure if you read the verses I had included earlier, so I'll include now. Notice how only those whom the Father
GAVE to Christ will be raised-up at the last day. Again, being placed under the power of Christ, is not the same thing
as being given to Christ. We are informed that no man can come to Christ except the Father draws him to Christ, and if not drawn, then not raised.

[Jhn 6:37, 39, 44 KJV]
37 All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out. ...
39 And this is the Father's will which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day. ...

Wait - do you see the "as many as thou have given hast given him", part? It is saying that only those given to Christ
by the Father can/will receive eternal life but no others. That's not clear? God gave Christ power over
all flesh - saved and unsaved alike, but that power was given to Him, so that out of all flesh, He could save those who had been chosen to salvation, and to not save those not chosen to salvation.
I not sure if you read the verses I had included earlier, so I'll include now. Notice how only those whom the Father
GAVE to Christ will be raised-up at the last day. Again, being placed under the power of Christ, is not the same thing
as being given to Christ. We are informed that no man can come to Christ except the Father draws him to Christ, and if not drawn, then not raised.

[Jhn 6:37, 39, 44 KJV]
37 All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out. ...
39 And this is the Father's will which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day. ...

So it's a reasonable statement that "whosoever believeth" are those given to Christ, that God gives this "eternal life" to? The one's who open the door and receive Christ and His redemptive work for their salvation?
That would make perfect sense.

Last edited:
Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.
Revelation 3:20

This is Jesus standing at the door..
Knocking
If anyone hears his voice..
And opens the door
He will come in and dine with them..

Yes, but that hearing is spiritual hearing which comes from being born again, from salvation, not physical/human hearing. Jesus makes clear that hearing is not given to everyone but only to His sheep. Did you understand the meaning of the verses I previously posted to you?

Observe:

[Jhn 8:43, 47 KJV]
43 Why do ye not understand my speech? [even] because ye cannot hear my word. ...
47 He that is of God heareth God's words: ye therefore hear [them] not, because ye are not of God.
[Jhn 10:26-27 KJV]
26 But ye believe not, because ye are not of my sheep, as I said unto you.
27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:

[Mat 13:16 KJV]
16 But blessed [are] your eyes, for they see: and your ears, for they hear.
[Jhn 10:4-5 KJV]
4 And when he putteth forth his own sheep, he goeth before them, and the sheep follow him: for they know his voice.
5 And a stranger will they not follow, but will flee from him: for they know not the voice of strangers.
[Rom 11:8 KJV] 8 (According as it is written, God hath given them the spirit of slumber, eyes that they should not see, and ears that they should not hear;) unto this day.
[Act 7:51 KJV] 51 Ye stiffnecked and uncircumcised in heart and ears, ye do always resist the Holy Ghost: as your fathers [did], so [do] ye.

The Bible contains this picture of the Savior of the world standing, knocking, wanting to commune with Anyone who will hear his call and open the door...
Do you see that the Spirit is drawing people through this picture?
Did you understand the verses I posted previously to you? They clearly and unmistakably explain the foundation of all
words such as "all", "whosoever", "whomsoever", "any man", and the like: they are of those given by the Father to the Son. They - the elect - alone will/can truly hear things spiritual- the gospel. Such hearing God does to everyone. It is not possible for the unsaved (natural man) to know the spiritual, i.e., things of the Spirit:

[1Co 2:14 KJV] 14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know [them], because they are spiritually discerned.

Back