Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Tasted Death for every Man !

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
even children of wrath as others Eph 2:3 However would it be wrong to say that the elect, whom God Loved in Christ from everlasting Jer 31:3; Jn 17:23; and Christ having een made a curse for them Gal 3:13 are under the wrath of God when yet unconverted ?
rogerg
I will throw in my 2 cents worth on this one. (In other words, I'm not sure)

God is immutable, therefore His love (favor) for those he selected before the foundation of the earth does not change. (Jacob I loved before being born)
God created time and He condescends to our level to react to events in time. So, though He always loves His chosen children from eternity past, He treats us differently in time according to events. He treats us with wrath (discipline) because of our nature imputed from Adam. When we are regenerated we now have Christ's IMPUTED nature (IN CHRIST) and are treated in time as such with love.
So, God immutably in eternity loves (favors) us and as evidence we are regenerated despite our initial nature which he abhors in time.

Hmmm, interesting question. I can't say I 'love' my answer. :rolleyes

I dont believe that and scripture never says that.
With all due respect, what one believes doesn't bear on Scripture. Paul is explaining how God had set man over the creation. Man messed it up and Paul tells us in so many words that Christ came to fix it. In the he says that Christ tasted death for all. He'd just said how God had put man over creation. That context in which Paul made the statement that Christ tested death for all

Last edited:
rogerg
I will throw in my 2 cents worth on this one. (In other words, I'm not sure)

God is immutable, therefore His love (favor) for those he selected before the foundation of the earth does not change. (Jacob I loved before being born)
God created time and He condescends to our level to react to events in time. So, though He always loves His chosen children from eternity past, He treats us differently in time according to events. He treats us with wrath (discipline) because of our nature imputed from Adam. When we are regenerated we now have Christ's IMPUTED nature (IN CHRIST) and are treated in time as such with love.
So, God immutably in eternity loves (favors) us and as evidence we are regenerated despite our initial nature which he abhors in time.

Hmmm, interesting question. I can't say I 'love' my answer. :rolleyes
Gods chastening of His Children isnt His Wrath, Its correction out of Love and its life long. I would be careful in saying God reacts to creatures, if anything they react to Him, His Purpose.

Please post the scripture that says “they who are able her and believe the true Gospel can only do so because they first were saved.”

that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. Romans 10:9

If means there is a condition that must be met, in order to receive the result of the promise of salvation.

The condition is believing and therefore obeying the Gospel.

Now if you believe there is another way for a person to be saved, then please post the scripture so we can all examine your doctrine to see if it is biblical or not.

"Please post the scripture that says “they who are able her and believe the true Gospel can only do so because they first were saved.”

I don't recall saying they must be first saved, I don't think I would have said that, but could have made a mistake. If I said 'saved" I probably should have said "elected". Anyway, please see the following. Who would you say those verses
pertain to, for those who see, and those who will never see?

[Mar 4:10-12 KJV]
10 And when he was alone, they that were about him with the twelve asked of him the parable.
11 And he said unto them, Unto you it is given to know the mystery of the kingdom of God: but unto them that are without, all [these] things are done in parables:
12 That seeing they may see, and not perceive; and hearing they may hear, and not understand; lest at any time they should be converted, and [their] sins should be forgiven them.

" if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. Romans 10:9

Well, taking into consideration Mar 4:10 - 12 (above), we can see that only unto those unto to whom it had FIRST been GIVEN can know the mystery of the kingdom. Those "without" will never be able to know it.
So, if they can never "know", then how can they truly "confess" as they would have to "know" in order to confess?

"Now if you believe there is another way for a person to be saved, then please post the scripture so we can all examine your doctrine to see if it is biblical or not."

I sure do believe there is another way -- that God has to have chosen you and then saves you according to His good pleasure -- all His work, not ours. This is why Jesus has the title of Savior, and we don't. That's all I'm saying: that Christ ALONE is the Savior, Anything other than that, we are working for salvation and:

[Rom 4:4 KJV] 4 Now to him that worketh is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt.

and

[2Pe 1:1 KJV]
1 Simon Peter, a servant and an apostle of Jesus Christ, to them that have obtained like precious faith with us through the righteousness of God and our Saviour Jesus Christ:

Hope my reply is understandable. If not, please let me know and I'll try to clarify. Thx

Last edited:
"Please post the scripture that says “they who are able her and believe the true Gospel can only do so because they first were saved.”

I don't recall saying they must be first saved, I don't think I would have said that, but could have made a mistake. If I said 'saved" I probably should have said "elected". Anyway, please see the following. Who would you say those verses
pertain to, for those who see, and those who will never see?

[Mar 4:10-12 KJV]
10 And when he was alone, they that were about him with the twelve asked of him the parable.
11 And he said unto them, Unto you it is given to know the mystery of the kingdom of God: but unto them that are without, all [these] things are done in parables:
12 That seeing they may see, and not perceive; and hearing they may hear, and not understand; lest at any time they should be converted, and [their] sins should be forgiven them.

" if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. Romans 10:9

Well, taking into consideration Mar 4:10 - 12 (above), we can see that only unto those unto to whom it had FIRST been GIVEN can know the mystery of the kingdom. Those "without" will never be able to know it.
So, if they can never "know", then how can they truly "confess" as they would have to "know" in order to confess?

"Now if you believe there is another way for a person to be saved, then please post the scripture so we can all examine your doctrine to see if it is biblical or not."

I sure do believe there is another way -- that God has to have chosen you and then saves you according to His good pleasure -- all His work, not ours. This is why Jesus has the title of Savior, and we don't. That's all I'm saying: that Christ ALONE is the Savior, Anything other than that, we are working for salvation and:

[Rom 4:4 KJV] 4 Now to him that worketh is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt.

and

[2Pe 1:1 KJV]
1 Simon Peter, a servant and an apostle of Jesus Christ, to them that have obtained like precious faith with us through the righteousness of God and our Saviour Jesus Christ:

Hope my reply is understandable. If not, please let me know and I'll try to clarify. Thx
Jesus said that he had only come to the lost sheep of the house Israel. How then do you apply His word beyond that? His words in verse 12 are a reference to the words of Isaiah.

[Act 13:48 KJV] 48 And when the Gentiles heard this, they were glad, and glorified the word of the Lord: and as many as were ordained to eternal life believed.

Please notice that it doesn't say "and as many as believed were ordained to eternal life". It says "as many as were ordained to eternal life believed". I think this means that first-and-foremost, comes having been ordained by God individually to eternal life as prerequisite to, and motivation for, the above. Ordination to eternal life first, all belief/actions resulting from that second. But just to expound a little further, all who were ordained at some point call (put a name upon) the Lord. This is a result of being ordained. Those ordained are alone those who will become saved.
I'll try to reply to your five points above in the next day or two. thx.
I guess we see different in Acts 13:48 as I understand it to say all those who were ordained to eternal life had to believe first as I have to go back to John 3:16 as how can anyone have eternal life first and then believe. It's like putting the cart before the horse which gets you nothing.

rogerg here is my reply to your post #149

It's kind of hard to digest all you have written here for me to reply to all of it so will just sum it up as we have to believe first by faith through God's free gift of grace being Christ Jesus in whom we come to believe in first confessing Him as our Lord and Savior, Romans 10:9-10.

Romans 3:22 Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference:

Galatians 2:16 Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.

Philippians 3:9 And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith

Ephesians 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: 9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

The faith of Christ is understood as we study these scriptures to name a few in the KJV, John 12:44-50; Galatians 2:16; Philippians 3:9). The newer translations has changed where it says faith of Christ to faith in Christ. There is a difference between faith of Christ and faith in Christ as you can read in those scriptures out of the KJV. The faith of Christ is what He believed in the Father as He never said or did anything above that which God gave Him to speak or to do while He was on earth, John 12:49, 50. Our faith in Christ is the same faith of Christ He had in the Father as we can never go above that of what He taught us and the works He left for us to follow in.

The Son of God is that free gift of God's grace given to all who will believe by faith in Christ and confess Him as Lord and Savior so they will see the kingdom of God, John 3:5-7; Romans 10:9, 10. There is no working towards something that is free as all we have to do is accept the gift. Believe is a verb that means something we consider to be true as we have heard the Gospel and not only heard it, but also believe what is written for our well being.

Faith works come after we are Spiritually born again and indwelled with the Holy Spirit that empowers us to go out into the world and continue in the good works of the Lord, Acts 2:37, 38; James 2:14-20. The good works are taking His Gospel message to the world as we too are His disciples and to love and help those in need as what we do we do unto the glory of the Lord Christ Jesus, Matthew 25:31-40

Gods chastening of His Children isnt His Wrath, Its correction out of Love and its life long
Define wrath.
I define wrath as God's disflavor; not human anger. Disfavor results in discipline. I love (favor) my son; nevertheless, if he did something wrong I will disfavor him/discipline.

. I would be careful in saying God reacts to creatures, if anything they react to Him, His Purpose
God ordained all things. From that eternal prospective He never reacts. In His plan which includes the creation of time He reacts from a human prospective according to His plan which is eternal.
God is self determined. All things are eternally determined. From God's prospective He reacts in time according to what He self determined in eternity.

fastf

Define wrath.

Retributive against sin and under Gods condemnation because of sin:

Jn 3:36

36 He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.

1 Thess 5:9

9 For God hath not appointed us to wrath, but to obtain salvation by our Lord Jesus Christ,

Rom 5:9

9 Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him.

Eph 5:6

Let no man deceive you with vain words: for because of these things cometh the wrath of God upon the children of disobedience.

1 Thess 1:10

And to wait for his Son from heaven, whom he raised from the dead, even Jesus, which delivered us from the wrath to come.

1 Thess 2:16

Forbidding us to speak to the Gentiles that they might be saved, to fill up their sins alway: for the wrath is come upon them to the uttermost.

Job 21:30

That the wicked is reserved to the day of destruction? they shall be brought forth to the day of wrath.

Chastisement from God is out of His Love for a man and has no condemnation on them 1 Cor 11:32

32 But when we are judged, we are chastened of the Lord, that we should not be condemned with the world.

Rev 3:19

19 As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent.

Chastisement from God is a blessing from Him s 94:12

Blessed
is the man whom thou chastenest, O Lord, and teachest him out of thy law;

fred
God ordained all things. From that eternal prospective He never reacts. In His plan which includes the creation of time He reacts from a human prospective according to His plan which is eternal.
God is self determined. All things are eternally determined. From God's prospective He reacts in time according to what He self determined in eternity.

This sounds much better. I still would not say God reacts, He just does His Good pleasure.

Thanks for responding. Respectfully I disagree, I believe all the elect names were written into the Lambs book of life before the foundation Rev 13:8;17:8 and remember Jesus before He died told some to rejoice because their names were already written in heaven Lk 10:20
My pleasure to respond - we're all motivated here to truly understand God's word so it great to hear different points of view.
You've raised very good points. I'll review my thinking on them and reply after I do. I really want to have a correct understanding of how it all fits together - thx

You didn't another my question. There is no scripture telling how one is saved without hearing of Christ. We both know that. (not talking about O.T. saints)
Thus your statement: "He has always given everyone an opportunity to repent and turn back to Him" is either FALSE. (or at best an speculation to validate the belief that because God loves everyone without exception; therefore by default, He must provide another gospel to save those who have never heard of Christ.)

Your question conflates a 'rational mind' with 'carnal logic'. This is a false premise.
Carnal is defined as "relating to or given to crude bodily pleasures and appetites gluttony and other carnal activities."
Rational is based on or in accordance with reason or logic.

We know God is rational. If He is not then we cannot understand Him. We know God is not carnal. Therefore, conflating the terms 'carnal' and 'rational' is not reasonable (rational). Therefore, your question needs to be reworded.
Aside: A rational mind is one in sync with truth by definition. It is rational to believe God for He is truth. Our sin (carnal) nature causes us to not seek God and this is not rational. It is wrong to conflate 'rational' and 'carnal'. (Apples and oranges)
Aside: Just because we are carnal does not mean we cannot be rational at times. It is rational to think 1+1=2. All people, irregardless of their cardinality can be rational at times. It is wrong to conflate 'rational' and 'carnal'. (Apples and oranges)

Yes, but not in a way that one can be saved. I believe God speaks to almost everyone to give them an idea of 'right and wrong' (Romans 2:14). God tells everyone that He exists (Romans 1:20).
But again, you avoid your statement: "He has always given everyone an opportunity to repent and turn back to Him". There is no scripture to support your statement. You infer there is another gospel than Paul's by which those who never heard of Christ are saved. You are deflecting again; we are talking about 'hearing of Christ that leads to salvation' and not 'knowing God exists'.

God is all powerful. Of course He could do something to save those that have not heard the gospel. But He has not. There is the gospel of Paul saying we are saved by faith and Christ and Paul said: Galatians 1:8 But even if we, or an angel from heaven, should preach to you a gospel contrary to that which we [originally] preached to you, let him be condemned to destruction!
You are proposing another gospel (which you can't define) and Paul warns against this. You are grasping at straws again. Tell me of this OTHER GOSPEL to save men. Perhaps it is more efficient than Paul's gospel. You said God gives everyone a opportunity to repent and turn to him ... please, please, please tell us how that works, give us the specifics.
GIVE ME THE GOSPEL according to for_his_glory whereby these people are saved. Example: A person who has never heard of Christ can be saved if he throw to pebbles over his shoulder as an act of faith.

Not needed to prove/disprove your statement: "He has always given everyone an opportunity to repent and turn back to Him". As we are more familiar with how people are saved today, we can talk more effectively with this knowledge in regard to your statement: "He has always given everyone an opportunity to repent and turn back to Him".

Agreed.

... and I heard reports from the Mormons that Christ came to North America. But ignoring the credulity of the missionaries story; and for the sake of argument, I concede these people have heard from of Christ. But we KNOW that many people are dead that never heard of Christ. You said: "He has always given everyone an opportunity to repent and turn back to Him", so referring to people that heard of Christ does not address your statement.

We KNOW there are many people who have NEVER heard of Christ. We know we are saved by faith in Christ. Therefore, we know you statement ""He has always given everyone an opportunity to repent and turn back to Him" is false. You deny indisputable truth because it contradicts your understanding of God methods that you have worked so hard to learn from your studies. (aside: your knowledge of God is superior)

And the evidence is indisputable that the Father has not drawn men who have not heard of Christ in a way that leads to salvation ... unless one invents a new gospel which Paul warns against.

Agreed. Every man therefore that hath heard, and hath learned. Notice the prerequisite; EVERY MAN THE HATH HEARD. Since many men have not heard they will NOT come to him. Thus your statement: "He has always given everyone an opportunity to repent and turn back to Him" is contrary to scripture. Scripture says YOU HAVE TO HEAR to be saved; you say we that there is some mysterious way people that have not heard the salvific gospel from men hear it from God, but present only mystical, vague innuendos of evidence.

The evidence is indisputable. People have died and not heard of Christ. Since this is necessary for salvation, our statement: "He has always given everyone an opportunity to repent and turn back to Him" is false. The verse says "shall be", which is future tense so is not relevant to those who are dead a never heard of Christ.
We know the carnal mind is a hostile enemy (enmity) against the Spirit and can not perceive Spiritual things.

Romans 8:5 For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.
Romans 8:6 For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.
Romans 8:7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.
Romans 8:8 So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.

Can a rational mind understand heavenly things, no. Even though our human mind cannot comprehend the whole mystery of God, He let Himself to be grasped by our mind. No human mind can fully understand God, but to those who are opened to enter into His mystery He will reveal himself enough to give you the certitude conviction that He is real.

John 3:11 Verily, verily, I say unto thee, We speak that we do know, and testify that we have seen; and ye receive not our witness.
John 3:12 If I have told you earthly things, and ye believe not, how shall ye believe, if I tell you of heavenly things?

Belief in God is rational only if there is sufficient evidence for the existence of God, but the carnal mind can not rationalize God for it will not allow the mystery of God to be revealed. This is why many refuse to hear His word that has gone out into the world through every generation. Is it God's fault that they did not hear, or is it their own fault as many quit seeking Him. Faith does come by hearing and hearing by the word of God, yet many refuse to hear His still small voice calling them.

Romans 1:20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:
Romans 1:21 Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.
Romans 1:22 Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,
Romans 1:23 And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things.

No one can stand before God in His judgement without excuse.

I don't recall saying they must be first saved, I don't think I would have said that, but could have made a mistake.
You did say this back in Post #144 and several other times throughout this thread. Have you now changed your mind as you are contradicting yourself

We know the carnal mind is a hostile enemy (enmity) against the Spirit and can not perceive Spiritual things.

Romans 8:5 For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.
Romans 8:6 For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.
Romans 8:7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.
Romans 8:8 So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.

Can a rational mind understand heavenly things, no. Even though our human mind cannot comprehend the whole mystery of God, He let Himself to be grasped by our mind. No human mind can fully understand God, but to those who are opened to enter into His mystery He will reveal himself enough to give you the certitude conviction that He is real.

John 3:11 Verily, verily, I say unto thee, We speak that we do know, and testify that we have seen; and ye receive not our witness.
John 3:12 If I have told you earthly things, and ye believe not, how shall ye believe, if I tell you of heavenly things?

Belief in God is rational only if there is sufficient evidence for the existence of God, but the carnal mind can not rationalize God for it will not allow the mystery of God to be revealed. This is why many refuse to hear His word that has gone out into the world through every generation. Is it God's fault that they did not hear, or is it their own fault as many quit seeking Him. Faith does come by hearing and hearing by the word of God, yet many refuse to hear His still small voice calling them.

Romans 1:20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:
Romans 1:21 Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.
Romans 1:22 Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,
Romans 1:23 And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things.

No one can stand before God in His judgement without excuse.
All well and good and I am in general agreement. BUT ....
You didn't answer my question. There is no scripture telling how one is saved without hearing of Christ. Scripture only says salvific faith cometh by hearing. We both know that. Yet you insist everyone will have an opportunity to repent and turn to God ..... HOW, HOW, HOW, HOW do those who will never hear of Christ be saved?
WHAT is the gospel according to For_His_Glory

If you don't know or don't want to support your statement of the possibly of salvation for those that have not heard of Christ, just say so and I will drop the question.

I guess we see different in Acts 13:48 as I understand it to say all those who were ordained to eternal life had to believe first as I have to go back to John 3:16 as how can anyone have eternal life first and then believe. It's like putting the cart before the horse which gets you nothing.
Sorry, not exactly sure what you mean? Those ordained to eternal life believed, that was the point of the verse, but to do so they had to be ordained first. According to your interpretation, if belief was a prerequisite to/for being ordained, shouldn't the verse read "those who believed were ordained to eternal life" or "ordained to eternal life when they believed"? In other words, they COULDN"T have believed prior to Paul's statement because they didn't know the Gospel beforehand. The verse says neither of those. Those who are not ordained can never know the Gospel, so,
they therefore cannot believe:

[Mar 4:11 KJV] 11 And he said unto them, Unto you it is given to know the mystery of the kingdom of God: but unto them that are without, all [these] things are done in parables:
[Mar 4:12 KJV] 12 That seeing they may see, and not perceive; and hearing they may hear, and not understand; lest at any time they should be converted, and [their] sins should be forgiven them.

[Jhn 6:29 KJV] 29 Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.

[Gal 2:16 KJV] 16 Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.

By (out of, from) Christ's faith, the believer receives faith as a gift (God's work, see above). Not all people can ever come to belief. Those that don't, don't because they weren't first justified by the faith of Christ. Again, Christ's faith, in and of itself, is faith imparted to the believer. It, thereby becoming their faithfulness. If it isn't a gift then faith would be our effort and as such a work (it's either has to be a gift or a work, can't be both), but no one will ever be justified by works of the law.

Last edited:
All well and good and I am in general agreement. BUT ....
You didn't answer my question. There is no scripture telling how one is saved without hearing of Christ. Scripture only says salvific faith cometh by hearing. We both know that. Yet you insist everyone will have an opportunity to repent and turn to God ..... HOW, HOW, HOW, HOW do those who will never hear of Christ be saved?
WHAT is the gospel according to For_His_Glory

If you don't know or don't want to support your statement of the possibly of salvation for those that have not heard of Christ, just say so and I will drop the question.
All I can go by is Matthew 24:14; Romans 10:13-17; 1:20. Plus the word has gone out into the world since the day of Pentecost that all have a chance to hear, but generation to generation have shut their ears to the preaching of the Gospel. God said no one will stand before Him without excuse.

[Act 13:48 KJV] 48 And when the Gentiles heard this, they were glad, and glorified the word of the Lord: and as many as were ordained to eternal life believed.

Please notice that it doesn't say "and as many as believed were ordained to eternal life". It says "as many as were ordained to eternal life believed". I think this means that first-and-foremost, comes having been ordained by God individually to eternal life as prerequisite to, and motivation for, the above. Ordination to eternal life first, all belief/actions resulting from that second. But just to expound a little further, all who were ordained at some point call (put a name upon) the Lord. This is a result of being ordained. Those ordained are alone those who will become saved.
I'll try to reply to your five points above in the next day or two. thx.
Hi Roger,

Actually, it can be read as, as many as believed, were ordained to eternal life. You see, the translation above comes from the Reformation period. The Reformers believed that people were preordained and as such that's how they translated the verse. However, there are problems with that interpretation. Firstly the Greek reads,

Ἀκούοντα δὲ τὰ ἔθνη ἔχαιρον καὶ ἐδόξαζον τὸν λόγον τοῦ κυρίου καὶ ἐπίστευσαν ὅσοι ἦσαν τεταγμένοι εἰς ζωὴν αἰώνιον· (Acts 13:48 BGT)

A literal translation is,

And the nations hearing were glad, and were glorifying the word of the Lord, and did believe -- as many as were appointed to life age-during; (Acts 13:48 YLT)

This could be read two ways, did believe as many as, were ordained to eternal life. Or it could read, and did believe, as many as were ordained to eternal life. The Reformers chose this second reading. However, the first is just as valid. So, which is it? I would submit it's the first one. As many as believed, were ordained to eternal life. This is based on the context and what Paul said two verses earlier.

46 Then Paul and Barnabas waxed bold, and said, It was necessary that the word of God should first have been spoken to you: but seeing ye put it from you, and judge yourselves unworthy of everlasting life, lo, we turn to the Gentiles. (Acts 13:46 KJV)

Here Paul said that the Jews judged themselves unworthy of eternal life. So, the reason those Jews didn't have eternal life was of their own doing. They chose not to believe. On the other hand the Gentiles chose to believe and were ordained to eternal life.

The Reformed understanding of verse 48 contradicts the concept in verse 46. In verse 46 whether they had eternal life or not was based on them, they were the cause. To then say that the Gentiles were not the cause of whether or not they had eternal life is the complete opposite. This would created a problem. It would have the Jews able to choose whether not they wanted to be saved, but the Gentiles not having a choice. We see no such concept in the Scripture. There is nothing that says some can choose and some can't.

Back