Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

The call of the Father.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Status
Not open for further replies.
Watchman,

I don't use Strong's numbers. Instead, I use the Greek Lexicons (Bauer, Arndt & Gingrich; Thayer) and the major Greek word studies (Bauer, Kittel & Friedrich; and Colin Brown (ed)).

Oz

So is 'have faith' a noun?

The word pisteuw you submitted isn't a Greek word.

Last edited:
There are many ways God calls us. Usually it is by someone you meet who lives a Godly life and their type of life challenges you. You read or hear something that creates a longing for something more (part of my own testimony). Maybe you are trying to live a good life, but yet fall short and feel empty at times. This is God calling you as He draws you like a magnet to saving faith.

God's calling doesn't just come out of nowhere, but by action to His drawing power that is hard to resist when it plays on our heart strings, but yet many ignore His calling as they refuse any action on God's part.

So then your answer should have been no!

You don't think the Father can call someone out before Christ or His word was known.

Believe means believe! Theirs no trust or commitment associated with believing. Believe, believer, and believing are mistranslations. The words the English language should have had for the translators are faithe, faither, and faithing.

The Greek language doesn't have a word in it's language for the English word" believe." They only acknowledge a state of being where one is faithing towards something or away from something. No neutral or middle ground such as believing.

The Greek word for believe is "pistevo" although there are various spellings for many Greek words.

In Greek the root word from which we get faith, the noun is PISTIS, and "believe", the verb is "PISTUEO. Faith means belief, persuasion, assurance, firm conviction, faithfulness. Faith is confidence in what we hope for and the assurance that the Lord is working, even though we can not see it.

i tend to think/believe that "many are called, few are chosen" (and yes, I stole this from every Reform thinker/writer, ever...) simply means that there's a general call, out to humanity...

and then an inner-call, to those whom God has pre-selected, "...for His good pleasure...," that they/we then respond to and then...

it's off to the races. :)

So then your answer should have been no!

You don't think the Father can call someone out before Christ or His word was known.

Are you saying then that God does not draw us to Him by whatever means it takes to do so?

My answer is still "yes" that God called everyone before the birth of Christ and continues even today to draw others to the risen Christ who is now our mediator before the Father. Many are called, but few are chosen as not everyone will heed His calling. Just as it was in the beginning so will be in the end.

The word pisteuw you submitted isn't a Greek word.

Watchman 2,

That is false. How does one transliterate the Greek New Testament verb, πιστεύω. There are two ways to do it:

1. pisteuō, where there is an ellipse above the 'o' to indicate that it transliterates Omega, and
  2. pisteuw, where 'w' is used to indicate the English is transliterating Omega and NOT Omicron.
The FACT is that pisteuw is a correct transliteration as long as one understands that the 'w' represents Omega.

So, in your view, why is pisteuw not a Greek word?

By the way, it is not a Greek word but a transliterated Greek word.

Oz

Watchman 2,

That is false. How does one transliterate the Greek New Testament verb, πιστεύω. There are two ways to do it:

1. pisteuō, where there is an ellipse above the 'o' to indicate that it transliterates Omega, and
  2. pisteuw, where 'w' is used to indicate the English is transliterating Omega and NOT Omicron.
The FACT is that pisteuw is a correct transliteration as long as one understands that the 'w' represents Omega.

So, in your view, why is pisteuw not a Greek word?

By the way, it is not a Greek word but a transliterated Greek word.

Oz

I'd like to focus on the Greek word pisteuo used 248 times in the NT. Defined as " a personal surrender to Him and a life inspired by such surrender.," Compared to the mistranslated words believe, believer, and believing.

Are you saying then that God does not draw us to Him by whatever means it takes to do so?

My answer is still "yes" that God called everyone before the birth of Christ and continues even today to draw others to the risen Christ who is now our mediator before the Father. Many are called, but few are chosen as not everyone will heed His calling. Just as it was in the beginning so will be in the end.

There seems to be a language barrier between us. I'm sorry but just don't want to keep correcting how your perceiving what I think is fairly understandable English.

Good luck to you!

I'd like to focus on the Greek word pisteuo used 248 times in the NT. Defined as " a personal surrender to Him and a life inspired by such surrender.," Compared to the mistranslated words believe, believer, and believing.
Pisteuw means to trust.
Please see my link....
Of course, Oz is correct.

I don't know that we should be concentrating so much on a word...
Could we concentrate on the concept?

Faith is a NOUN
Believe is a verb that includes action to make that word come alive.

I may have faith that the elevator will bring me to the 2nd floor....
I may believe that it will and thus trust that it will....
But if I don't get on it,,,I'll never know.

So, does BELIEVING in Christ mean that we are to take some kind of action due to this belief?

And what would that action be?

Perhaps it would be to follow and DO as Jesus taught?
In my view THIS is saving faith....
a faith that is active and thus brings us to salvation by following God.

Do you agree?

Believe means believe! Theirs no trust or commitment associated with believing. Believe, believer, and believing are mistranslations. The words the English language should have had for the translators are faithe, faither, and faithing.

The Greek language doesn't have a word in it's language for the English word" believe." They only acknowledge a state of being where one is faithing towards something or away from something. No neutral or middle ground such as believing.

Here is what faith is:

Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. Hebrews 11:1

Faith is a noun.

Faith is what we receive from God when He speaks to us.

Faith is what we receive from God when He sends a person to preach the Gospel.

Faith is a gift.

Faith is activated when a person believes and there obeys what they heard from God.

I‘m not a Greek scholar, but a can read the scriptures and I have the Holy Spirit to lead me and guide me to understand how He used a word.

Believe is what we must do; it’s our part to do - verb

Faith comes to us from God, when He speaks to us and we hear Him. - Noun; the substance of our hope for things that are unseen; un-realized, ie not yet obtained.

Believe is also used interchangeably with obey as the context sometimes dictates.

Example:

He who believes in the Son has everlasting life; and he who does not believe the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him. John 3:36 NKJV

“He who believes in the Son has eternal life; but he who does not obey the Son will not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him.” John 3:36 NASB

When we just rely on lexicons and bible dictionaries for word meanings, we are relying on the writings of other men.

If the scriptures define for us a word then we should consider that meaning as a foundational definition, to be built upon by other definitions from other sources.

I think we can all find common ground, if we start from a place that we can all agree on... the scriptures, and how they define and use biblical words and terms.

God bless you.

JLB

Isaiah 55:11 . He saves whom He wills to save.

So shall My word be that goes forth from My mouth;
It shall not return to Me void,
But it shall accomplish what I please,
And it shall prosper in the thing for which I sent it.
Isaiah 55:11

Maybe you were thinking of another scripture.

JLB

i tend to think/believe that "many are called, few are chosen" (and yes, I stole this from every Reform thinker/writer, ever...) simply means that there's a general call, out to humanity...

and then an inner-call, to those whom God has pre-selected, "...for His good pleasure...," that they/we then respond to and then...

it's off to the races. :)
Pisteuw means to trust.
Please see my link....
Of course, Oz is correct.

I don't know that we should be concentrating so much on a word...
Could we concentrate on the concept?

Faith is a NOUN
Believe is a verb that includes action to make that word come alive.

I may have faith that the elevator will bring me to the 2nd floor....
I may believe that it will and thus trust that it will....
But if I don't get on it,,,I'll never know.

So, does BELIEVING in Christ mean that we are to take some kind of action due to this belief?

And what would that action be?

Perhaps it would be to follow and DO as Jesus taught?
In my view THIS is saving faith....
a faith that is active and thus brings us to salvation by following God.

Do you agree?

No!

Here is what faith is:

Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. Hebrews 11:1

Faith is a noun.

Faith is what we receive from God when He speaks to us.

Faith is what we receive from God when He sends a person to preach the Gospel.

Faith is a gift.

Faith is activated when a person believes and there obeys what they heard from God.

I‘m not a Greek scholar, but a can read the scriptures and I have the Holy Spirit to lead me and guide me to understand how He used a word.

Believe is what we must do; it’s our part to do - verb

Faith comes to us from God, when He speaks to us and we hear Him. - Noun; the substance of our hope for things that are unseen; un-realized, ie not yet obtained.

Believe is also used interchangeably with obey as the context sometimes dictates.

Example:

He who believes in the Son has everlasting life; and he who does not believe the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him. John 3:36 NKJV

“He who believes in the Son has eternal life; but he who does not obey the Son will not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him.” John 3:36 NASB

When we just rely on lexicons and bible dictionaries for word meanings, we are relying on the writings of other men.

If the scriptures define for us a word then we should consider that meaning as a foundational definition, to be built upon by other definitions from other sources.

I think we can all find common ground, if we start from a place that we can all agree on... the scriptures, and how they define and use biblical words and terms.

God bless you.

JLB

So now we're at a point where the strong Greek dictionary isn't acceptable?

If I don't hear someone start asking right questions today, I won't be back tomorrow.

So now we're at a point where the strong Greek dictionary isn't acceptable?

If I don't hear someone start asking right questions today, I won't be back tomorrow.
Do we have to have a question? Yes, God called people people to himself before scripture.

Hebrews 11:1 Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see. This is what the ancients were commended for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back