Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

The call of the Father.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do we have to have a question? Yes, God called people people to himself before scripture.

Hebrews 11:1 Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see. This is what the ancients were commended for.

So what would the ancients have done to respond to the call of the Father?

How could they respond with an act of Faith ( pisteuo) that could eventually result in recieving the Spirit of Christ?
The Holy Spirit wasn't able to enter believers until Pentecost.

The Holy Spirit has been "in" the world since the beginning. John 14:17 the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you.

Jesus saying he will be in "you". Knowing the day of Pentecost was coming.

The Holy Spirit wasn't able to enter believers until Pentecost.

The Holy Spirit has been "in" the world since the beginning. John 14:17 the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you.

Jesus saying he will be in "you". Knowing the day of Pentecost was coming.

Although rare, it has happened to some of the ancients.
Elisha asked for another portion of His Spirit just off the top of my head.

So nobody before Pentecost could have responded with an act of Faith that could result in recieving the Spirit of Christ?

Although rare, it has happened to some of the ancients.
Elisha asked for another portion of His Spirit just off the top of my head.

So nobody before Pentecost could have responded with an act of Faith that could result in recieving the Spirit of Christ?
This is where I'm gonna show my lack of knowledge of Old Testament. I wouldn't think it would be the Spirit of Christ entering a person because the Christ hadn't come yet. The Christ walked in flesh (Jesus). This is how the Spirit of Christ helps "Christians" walk in our flesh.......he experienced it.

This is where I'm gonna show my lack of knowledge of Old Testament. I wouldn't think it would be the Spirit of Christ entering a person because the Christ hadn't come yet. The Christ walked in flesh (Jesus). This is how the Spirit of Christ helps "Christians" walk in our flesh.......he experienced it.

Spirit of Christ aka Holy Spirit or 3rd person of the Trinity.

It was the Spirit of Christ in Abraham, and the prophets that enabled them to walk with Him in righteousness.

Of this salvation the prophets have inquired and searched carefully, who prophesied of the grace that would come to you, searching what, or what manner of time, the Spirit of Christ who was in them was indicating when He testified beforehand the sufferings of Christ and the glories that would follow.
1 Peter 1:10-11

JLB

The Strong’s is a good place to start, but shouldn’t be used to build division between us when the scriptures define for us what a word means.

JLB

I agree. That why I started there!

If we can't agree with how the Greek scholarship defines their own words, were not going anywhere!

Just let it be known, this definition is not my opinion.

It was the Spirit of Christ in Abraham, and the prophets that enabled them to walk with Him in righteousness.

Of this salvation the prophets have inquired and searched carefully, who prophesied of the grace that would come to you, searching what, or what manner of time, the Spirit of Christ who was in them was indicating when He testified beforehand the sufferings of Christ and the glories that would follow.
1 Peter 1:10-11

JLB
Thank you.

Reactions: JLB
I agree. That why I started there!

If we can't agree with how the Greek scholarship defines their own words, were not going anywhere!

Just let it be known, this definition is not my opinion.

No the definition is not your opinion, it’s the opinion of the scholar you quoted.

Here is what the scripture defines faith as:

Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. Hebrews 11:1

Faith is substance, which is a thing.

That would make Faith a noun.

Do you agree?

JLB

No the definition is not your opinion, it’s the opinion of the scholar you quoted.

Here is what the scripture defines faith as:

Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. Hebrews 11:1

Faith is substance, which is a thing.

That would make Faith a noun.

Do you agree?

JLB

The English word " Faith " is a noun translated from the Greek word Pistis. We are discussing the corresponding verb pisteuo, which couldn't be correctly translated into the English texts.

The English word " Faith " is a noun translated from the Greek word Pistis. We are discussing the corresponding verb pisteuo, which couldn't be correctly translated into the English texts.

I didn’t say anything about Greek words being translated.

I used scripture to define the word faith.

If your only interested in arguing about Greek words and how they are defined by other scholars then you can be assured of arguing and division.

JLB

There seems to be a language barrier between us. I'm sorry but just don't want to keep correcting how your perceiving what I think is fairly understandable English.

Good luck to you!

There is a barrier between us and that is not being able to share the word of God with you as what God has already spoken. Greek and Hebrew concordances are good for looking up words, but if you are not using them in the proper context of scripture then the word can take on different meanings in ones own mind.

Trying to teach reformed theology without and Biblical support is teaching that from a carnal mind as it only brings speculation and opinions to the table. Since you do not want us to use scripture, and you already have your mind set for whatever answer you want us to give you, that agrees with you, I am done with our discussion.

God bless you and have a great day.

Reactions: JLB

In the ancient of days before the indwelling of the Holy Spirit that Jesus sent down when He ascended up to sit at the right hand of God, John 14:26, the Holy Spirit, being the very Spirit of God within the Godhead, only came upon certain judges, warriors and prophets in a way that gave them extraordinary power. Joshua, Numbers 27:18; Othniel, Judges 3:10; Gideon, Judges 6:34; Samson, Judges 13:25, 14:6; Saul 1 Samuel 10:9, 10.

The Spirit of God inspired holiness in OT believers, Psalms 143:10. Scripture, being the word of God, promised that someday God would put His Spirit in His people in a way that would cause them to live according to His statutes, Ezekiel 36:27; John 14:26; Acts 2.

In short, in the OT came upon. In the NT indwelled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back