Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Depending upon the Holy Spirit for all you do?

Read through the following study by Tenchi for more on this topic

https://christianforums.net/threads/without-the-holy-spirit-we-can-do-nothing.109419/

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

https://christianforums.net/forums/questions-and-answers/

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

The Derailing Thread

Yes. I do.
I know a beautiful painting when I see one.
I know a beautiful song when I hear one.

Does that count?

What about you Angel?
Sensitive people usually are artsy about something.

W

So, KevinK, you are half Japanese and half Chinese. How did your parents meet?
Both from Hawaii. I think that's one of the few places where this combination is not weird.

Actually, technically, I'm half Okinawan/half Chinese. However, Okinawa is now part of Japan, so it's just easier to say Japanese, and it's not incorrect. As you may know from the Karate Kid movies, Okinawa is the birthplace of karate, a mixture of Chinese kung fu and indigenous fighting arts. My grandfather was a Samurai.

Last edited:
Both from Hawaii. I think that's one of the few places where this combination is not weird.

Actually, technically, I'm half Okinawan/half Chinese. However, Okinawa is now part of Japan, so it's just easier to say Japanese, and it's not incorrect. As you may know from the Karate Kid movies, Okinawa is the birthplace of karate, a mixture of Chinese kung fu and indigenous fighting arts. My grandfather was a Samurai.

That's pretty cool that you have a history with the Japanese Okinawa!
OMGOSH your grandfather was a SAMURAI?!!?!?!? That is soooo cool! Do you have any pictures?

That's pretty cool that you have a history with the Japanese Okinawa!
OMGOSH your grandfather was a SAMURAI?!!?!?!? That is soooo cool! Do you have any pictures?
My mother might. But I don't know if wearing his two swords and stuff. When he moved to Hawaii of course he had to get a regular job, so became a fisherman. I do remember a pic of him next to a big marlin he caught.

Thank you. We have a lot of history here. My father was 11 when Pearl Harbor was attacked. He saw some of the Zeroes flying overhead.

You might find this interesting: I was born in the Philippines. My Dad was stationed there when he was in the Air Force.
My Dad and Mom married at the age of 18. My Dad had joined the AF and didn't want to leave my mom behind, so he married her and took her with him. I was born when they were 20.

You might find this interesting: I was born in the Philippines. My Dad was stationed there when he was in the Air Force.
My Dad and Mom married at the age of 18. My Dad had joined the AF and didn't want to leave my mom behind, so he married her and took her with him. I was born when they were 20.
Wow...are you Phillipino at all? I had a lot of Phillipino friends growing up in the SF Bay Area.

My Dad's brother (my uncle) was a karate master as well. Shito-ryu karate. I'm actually not sure how much, if any, training my father had. He's so quiet and humble, he could be a 10th-dan grandmaster and just never mentioned it.

Do you like any famous Martial Artists?
My Dad likes Bruce Lee.
Oh, yeah, who didn't like Bruce Lee? Big Chuck Norris fan, too, and not just because he was a karate champion, but because he's a man of inner strength who knows how to face his inner demons. I started liking Steven Seagal before he became famous. Used to read articles in Japanese magazines about how he was the first non-Japanese to open a dojo in Japan. (You wouldn't believe the African-style 'fro hairdo he used to roll with.) I used to train with the nephew of one of the kung fu advisors on the Kung Fu television series starring David Carradine. Loved Toshiro Mifune, though he was more of an actor first. Loved the late Bong Soo Han, who was the Korean Hapkido advisor for the Billy Jack films. There's many who weren't famous to the general public, but well-known amongst martial artists.

Have you had involvement with the arts yourself?

When I was younger I practiced Yoga, but that's as close as I could get. I'm a little confused as if God doesn't like it or not? I guess the poses are prostrated to a "god". My spine became really flexible! I've heard God doesn't like yoga but I don't know for sure. I haven't practiced for a long time.

Back