Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

THE FORMULA FOR SALVATION

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
God states IF ANYONE hears my voice...anyone means anyone that might hear God's voice.
No, you explained it yourself. Jesus is talking to people in a Church. If any one of you open the door . . .
Rev 3:19 As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten. Therefore be zealous and repent.

Jesus is rebuking and chastising those in the Laodicean Church.

You are saying this: "And to the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write, if anyone in Africa or China or wherever opens the door . . .

Yes, anybody who comes to Jesus He will not turn away. But this is not the subject of your passage.

No, you explained it yourself. Jesus is talking to people in a Church. If any one of you open the door . . .
Rev 3:19 As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten. Therefore be zealous and repent.

Jesus is rebuking and chastising those in the Laodicean Church.

You are saying this: "And to the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write, if anyone in Africa or China or wherever opens the door . . .

Yes, anybody who comes to Jesus He will not turn away. But this is not the subject of your passage.
Jesus ministered to a demoniac. Good results.. lived in a cemetery?

Sounds like anyone to me,

Mark16:9 kjv
9.Now when Jesus was risen early the first day of the week, he appeared first to Mary Magdalene, out of whom he had cast seven devils.

The Church was not formed when Jesus ministered.

Paul was not for the Church when he was called.

eddif

Theology is the study of God.

Does God show us a formula for how to be saved?
Is this formula found in the Old Testament?
The New Testament?

What do you believe that formula to be?
Would an almighty God even have a formula?

Is it very narrow and allows only a few into salvatiìon,
or is it wider than we would think and allows for more to be saved?

Personally, I believe it's wider than we think.
Jesus stands at the door and knocks...
Jesus is God.
God is knocking...
What if someone opens the door but has never heard of Jesus?

What about those before the bible was written?
Could they be saved?

Romans 1:18-20
18For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men who suppress the truth in unrighteousness,
19because that which is known about God is evident within them; for God made it evident to them.
20For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood through what has been made, so that they are without excuse.

What does the above mean anyway?
Are we Christians brain-washed into being too narrow-minded?

eddif
Randy
Hopeful
gordon777
Dorothy Mae

sorry if I forgot anyone...

wondering,

You will get different steps for monergism (Calvinists) vs synergism (Arminianism). This is my understanding of the steps for Monergism:

1. God predestines all who will be saved.
  2. God elects them to salvation. One Monergist engaged in evangelism told me he was seeking to find the elect.
  3. By irresistible grace, such Christians are certain of salvation.
  4. They are drawn to Jesus by the preaching of the Gospel, but they are already saved.
For Synergism:

1. God elects people to salvation.
  2. The Gospel is preached to them.
  3. They are drawn to Him by grace through faith.
  4. They are eternally secure as long as they persevere in their faith.
That's a starter of a response from me.

Oz

wondering,

You will get different steps for monergism (Calvinists) vs synergism (Arminianism). This is my understanding of the steps for Monergism:

1. God predestines all who will be saved.
  2. God elects them to salvation. One Monergist engaged in evangelism told me he was seeking to find the elect.
  3. By irresistible grace, such Christians are certain of salvation.
  4. They are drawn to Jesus by the preaching of the Gospel, but they are already saved.
For Synergism:

1. God elects people to salvation.
  2. The Gospel is preached to them.
  3. They are drawn to Him by grace through faith.
  4. They are eternally secure as long as they persevere in their faith.
That's a starter of a response from me.

Oz
I am kinda interested in what box you think I am in?

I have heard someone say I will be glad when he decides who he is (meaning me).

I have come to appreciate some comments from other boxes ( if they originated from the Bible)

The problem seems to be spike protein allows a rewriting of the Bible
(Reverse-Transcriptase). I have learned a lot from the pandemic. Undoing the works of the evil one is necessary. The Bible actually contains the ability to correct errors).

When you get the various groups done we all can identify problem areas.

eddif

I'm jumping in here mid way with only reading the OP so far so here is my :twocents

There is no formula for God's salvation, but only His plan of salvation by, in the OT "faith" and in the NT "faith" as all who will believe will be saved.

1st Covenant promise OT
Gen 17:1 And when Abram was ninety years old and nine, the LORD appeared to Abram, and said unto him, I am the Almighty God; walk before me, and be thou perfect.
Gen 17:2 And I will make my covenant between me and thee, and will multiply thee exceedingly.
Gen 17:3 And Abram fell on his face: and God talked with him, saying,
Gen 17:4 As for me, behold, my covenant is with thee, and thou shalt be a father of many nations.
Gen 17:5 Neither shall thy name any more be called Abram, but thy name shall be Abraham; for a father of many nations have I made thee.
Gen 17:6 And I will make thee exceeding fruitful, and I will make nations of thee, and kings shall come out of thee.
Gen 17:7 And I will establish my covenant between me and thee and thy seed after thee in their generations for an everlasting covenant, to be a God unto thee, and to thy seed after thee.

Reiterated in NT
Heb 11:17 By faith Abraham, when he was tried, offered up Isaac: and he that had received the promises offered up his only begotten son,
Heb 11:18 Of whom it was said, That in Isaac shall thy seed be called:
Heb 11:19 Accounting that God was able to raise him up, even from the dead; from whence also he received him in a figure.

2nd New covenant of God's grace as Christ being God's plan of salvation before the foundation of the world
John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
Joh 3:17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Gal 3:26 For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.
Gal 3:27 For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.
Gal 3:28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.
Gal 3:29 And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.

OT or NT God's salvation has always been by faith in Him and His only begotten Son Christ Jesus as we are obedient to His commands.

Again, this is mis-translating the scripture.

Rev 3:14 "And to the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write,
Rev 3:20 Behold, I stand at the door and knock.

Jesus is standing outside the building of a specific Church and knocking on the door. These are professed believers, not pagans in the jungle.

This is not talking about Jesus knocking on the door of somebody's heart.
Is it not our hearts desire to open that door and let Him in?

Rev 3:16 So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.

Those in the Church of Laodicea were being chastised by God for they felt since they were rich they had no need of Jesus as they closed the door to Him even though He was knocking they would not let Him in as the condition of their hearts were full of the lust of the world.

Rev 3:18 I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see.
Rev 3:19 As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent.

Rev 3:20 Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.

Now go learn what vs 18 and 19 means.

Your analogy of God's eternal power and divine nature to indicate photosynthesis is very far-fetched!
Maybe your eyes are not opened to understand what eddif was talking about. Instead of saying it's far-fetched why not ask him to explain it further. I understood his formula and the analogy. Don't be to hasty to put another down of you have no understanding.

Is it not our hearts desire to open that door and let Him in?

Rev 3:16 So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.

Those in the Church of Laodicea were being chastised by God for they felt since they were rich they had no need of Jesus as they closed the door to Him even though He was knocking they would not let Him in as the condition of their hearts were full of the lust of the world.

Rev 3:18 I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see.
Rev 3:19 As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent.

Rev 3:20 Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.

I agree
Jesus does not just knock, but encourages us to open the door. Some refuse to listen to what Jesus is saying.

eddif

Matthew 7:13 kjv
13. Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide isthe gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:
14. Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

Even modern riding lawn mowers have a formula of operation.

These formula are taken from Old Testament laws:
You must put a guard rail on a roof.
Cover a pit
etc.

To start mower and turn on blade:
Person has to be in seat
Parking brake is on
Zero turn mower handles have to be disengaged.
Sometimes more items.

These are safety issues.
The safety switches sometimes use
relay logic.

Similar to the book of the law.
Yes, no, either, or, nor are some of the commands of relay logic. These are very similar to Moses law.

Narrow way to operate a mower safely.

Of course we can take off all safety equipment and operate the equipment in an unsafe manner. But a stranger on the equipment may have an accident.

The small voice ofthe Holy Spirit can help. But warnings still appear in the New Testament.

eddif
I do like what you are saying in your Redneck way, LOL. You make us think out of the box.

I wonder....if one can tire out from loving others, is that a sign of true love? If we give our life to Jesus, love becomes a state of being, doesn't it? Then, could we possibly tire of loving others?
Or do we just become complacent with feelings of love, especially towards those who do not love us back.

No formula?
Seems like i read:
Added
Took away
Multiplied
Divided

I find chemical formulas in nature / creation. 144,000 has 12 as part of what? …..

So spiritually minded no earthly good
So earthly minded no spiritual good

Or do both to the glory of God

He has given us all things that pertain to life and Godliness

eddif

I agree
Jesus does not just knock, but encourages us to open the door. Some refuse to listen to what Jesus is saying.

eddif
I don’t disagree but it ought to be pointed out that that verse was speaking of christians, not unbelievers at all.

Another translation, the NASB, translates Matthew 19:21, "Jesus said to him, “If you want to be complete, go and sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me.” I don't agree with the connotation of "perfect" as in the NKJV; it implies that the young man would be sinless, so we agree about that.

And of course there is no other way to enter into eternal life except through Jesus.
I think some translations use the word blameless too.

Interesting. There are times when translating from one language to another can be very challenging. Makes one wonder what the original wording truly meant and unless one is extremely lucrative in the language and living in the time of the writing, it's nearly impossible to know the answer perfectly.

Interesting. There are times when translating from one language to another can be very challenging. Makes one wonder what the original wording truly meant and unless one is extremely lucrative in the language and living in the time of the writing, it's nearly impossible to know the answer perfectly.
The passage has one thing I noticed.
The richYoung ruler.

Another word is You

Jesus knew the ability of a possibly unmarried young man to go into more spiritual pursuits.

We do not know the situation.

eddif

The difference between an unbeliever and a believer can be less than two minutes.

eddif
Doesn’t change anything as time is not the deciding definition. The difference between the living and dead can change in two minutes but it doesn’t mean the living are like the dead just two minutes earlier.

How would selling his goods make him blameless? We cannot do good works to make up for our sin. You cannot sell your stuff or beat your body and thereby become suddenly blameless of past sins.

Last edited:
It sure doesn't mean that Jesus knocks at the heart of everybody in the world.
Remember, the original question asked was:

Personally, I believe it's wider than we think.
Jesus stands at the door and knocks...
Jesus is God.
God is knocking...
What if someone opens the door but has never heard of Jesus?

The Church was not formed when Jesus ministered.
No, but Israel was.

Mat 10:5 These twelve Jesus sent out and commanded them, saying: "Do not go into the way of the Gentiles, and do not enter a city of the Samaritans. 6 But go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back