Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

The Good News/The Bad News

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
That's why we need to follow an Acts 17:11 (NIV) version of Christianity: "Now the Berean Jews were of more noble character than those in Thessalonica, for they received the message with great eagerness and examined the Scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true."

If this is what the Berean Jews had to do with Paul's teaching, you and I have no less a responsibility in listening to our preachers, John MacArthur, other radio and TV preachers, and the teachers on forums.net.
the forum is just a past time to discuss .i am a pastor and always say i could be wrong. how ever i study it from every angle . so as i don't create a self message

the forum is just a past time to discuss .i am a pastor and always say i could be wrong. how ever i study it from every angle . so as i don't create a self message

jerry,

How does that comment relate to what I said about the need for all of us to be Acts 17:11 Bereans who "examined the Scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true"?

They had no NIV or KJV on the mobile phone to check, but Paul's commendation was that they examined the Scriptures daily to discover if what Paul preached was true.

Surely that applies to you as pastor of a church and me when I preach. It also has application to all of us who post on this forum, even though it may only be "a past time" for you

Oz

I agree with Hospes. You need to use a dictionary.
Definition of theologian: A theologian is someone who studies the nature of God, religion, and religious beliefs.

To say MacArthur is not a theologian is bewildering.
I would say you are a theologian, definitely more knowledgeable than most.

Fastfredy,

I suggest you do some more research into the ministry of John MacArthur. He does not call himself a theologian. What ministry gift does he assign to himself? See his article, "Ten Reasons I Am a Pastor."

Please listen to the man himself as he defines his ministry.

I'm growing tired on this forum of reading views that can be easily refuted, with a little bit of Dr Google study.

Oz

Fastfredy,

I suggest you do some more research into the ministry of John MacArthur. He does not call himself a theologian. What ministry gift does he assign to himself? See his article, "Ten Reasons I Am a Pastor."

Please listen to the man himself as he defines his ministry.

I'm growing tired on this forum of reading views that can be easily refuted, with a little bit of Dr Google study.

Oz

odd ,he wrote a commentary and its used by some here .

jerry,

How does that comment relate to what I said about the need for all of us to be Acts 17:11 Bereans who "examined the Scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true"?

They had no NIV or KJV on the mobile phone to check, but Paul's commendation was that they examined the Scriptures daily to discover if what Paul preached was true.

Surely that applies to you as pastor of a church and me when I preach. It also has application to all of us who post on this forum, even though it may only be "a past time" for you

Oz
you seem to have all the answers when i say i study try to examine from all sides that is exactly what i meant . study to show yourself approved

MacArthur is good preacher i have listened to him. never read his commentaries... he is die hard Calvinist
I agree.
He's a wonderful preacher, and that is his ministry -- stated by his own words, to be a preacher of the gospel.
I also have not read his commentaries (in his own published bible) so I can't say too much except that some explanations
do not adhere to other commentaries.

I must say that I find it very difficult to understand how anyone could believe what John Calvin taught.
It's just not the God of the bible.

i like Adam Clarke he is fairly historical they have comments just like we do . i also like Robert Jamieson, A. R. Fausset and David Brown there are several that are good. you just have to be able to find the good and bad. as a preacher man once said its like eating chicken eat te meat throw the bones away

I agree.
He's a wonderful preacher, and that is his ministry -- stated by his own words, to be a preacher of the gospel.
I also have not read his commentaries (in his own published bible) so I can't say too much except that some explanations
do not adhere to other commentaries.

I must say that I find it very difficult to understand how anyone could believe what John Calvin taught.
It's just not the God of the bible.
is pre millenialism any better?

no ,Jason ,despite your Jewish verifiable ancestry ,you will be with the gentiles ,no isreal land promise ,despite the sane way a jew is saved in the millennial reign or trib.and well Paul and the apostles will be in isreal.

don't believe In the pre trib rapture ,ya get left behind .

things I have heard and seen posted .isreal is land ,a jew outside of the land isn't counted,despite I will get them to admit that err.

I try not to pick apart church theology on gray areas as much because no one has them right 100 percent

pre tribbers or post tribbers tend to agree that in the trib that you will have to hide ,bible says be found doing the things God says .

never mind the verses on the 4th temple are out of context ,or that well bit coin is pushed .by some ,odd that is easily trackable and controllable .

i like Adam Clarke he is fairly historical they have comments just like we do . i also like Robert Jamieson, A. R. Fausset and David Brown there are several that are good. you just have to be able to find the good and bad. as a preacher man once said its like eating chicken eat te meat throw the bones away
Clarke is Wesleyan .Methodist and amil,partial preterist

I guess I could have been more accurate to write that we are saved by grace, through faith, alone.

Faith alone is dead and can not save.

Faith must have the corresponding action of obedience to activate it, cause it to come alive, otherwise it remains dormant or dead, and incomplete, just as a body without the spirit is dead, and is unable to function.

Was not Abraham our father justified by works when he offered Isaac his son on the altar? Do you see that faith was working together with his works, and by works faith was made perfect? James 2:21-22

Of course the “works” shown In this passage is obedience;
Abraham’s obedience to offer his son Issac on the altar.

Not good works
Not the works of the law
Not works that earn a wage

• The corresponding action of obedience; the obedience of faith

Understanding this principle of faith is crucial to understanding salvation through faith, justification by faith, the righteousness according to faith, as well as love.

That’s Paul calls it the obedience of faith.

But now is made manifest, and by the scriptures of the prophets, according to the commandment of the everlasting God, made known to all nations for the obedience of faith:
Romans 16:31

JLB

Clarke is Wesleyan .Methodist and amil,partial preterist
and? so he goes out on a limb Wesley brothers founded the Methodist church .it would do the umc good to return back to the original roots .besides i never said i lived and breathed everything he wrote . to many people are hung up on names .

I read the article. No where does it say MacArthur is not a theologian. The article does not address the matter directly. It talks about him being a pastor. There is not reason one cannot be both. The definition of theologian: A theologian is someone who studies the nature of God, religion, and religious beliefs. No where in the article does it say MacArthur does not study the nature of God, or religion or religious beliefs.

Wikipedia lists MacArthur as a theologian: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Christian_theologians

That being said, this is a trivial matter.

and? so he goes out on a limb Wesley brothers founded the Methodist church .it would do the umc good to return back to the original roots .besides i never said i lived and breathed everything he wrote . to many people are hung up on names .
just stating that fact ,he is very anti rcc

the umc itself says they did ,and also I used them to get what he said from his books,do keep in mind there weren't a bazillion Arminism churches in America then.

Back