Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

The Presence of Materialism in Christendom Today

This topic has been brought forcibly to my attention recently by something I read. I quote the following passage (as quoted in the published work mentioned below) from the North China Herald circa 1901, on the subject of the aftermath of the Boxer Rebellion:

The local officials express themselves as greatly gratified at the easy manner in which the claims of the Protestant Christians have been settled. The Roman Catholics lost much more heavily numerically, and their claims are not so easy to settle. As their cathedral was destroyed, they demanded that one of the public buildings should be given them - either the Governer's Yámén ... or a large college called the Ling-ten-t'ang. The Governor said he was unable to give away public property, and eventually they presented what was practically an ultimatum, saying that at four o'clock on a certain day, they would go and occupy the college, and if they were opposed and there was trouble, they would hold the local officials responsible. Not wishing for a scene or further complications, the authorities induced the resident staff and students to leave before the arrival of the priests, who, at the time appointed, appeared with many of their converts and took up their abode in the college.

Extract from 'Last Letters and Further Records of Martyred Missionaries of the China Inland Mission' - Ed. Marshall Broomhall, B.A.​

I should say at the outset that, in quoting the above, I'm not singling out the Roman Catholic system for condemnation, neither am I expressing support for Protestantism. I think the passage serves to highlight the evil of materialism, and how it should have no place (but undoubtedly does) in Christendom.

Sadly, some in Christendom seem to be almost entirely occupied with what is outward. Great church buildings are erected and great value is placed on them, as can be seen from the above extract. Something is constructed which is not of God, but of man and for man. Do we really imagine that God is offended if He isn't worshipped in some ornate architectural marvel? Do we really think that the testimony of Christ is only alive in the grand palatial edifices of the religious world? Do we suppose that the service of God is somehow enhanced by lifeless ornaments and trinkets, such as crucifixes?

I'm sure that many people on this forum will be familiar with the history of the testimony of Christ. We know, unlike those who are in bondage to the Roman Catholic system of error, that the Church has not existed in worldly pomp and splendour over the past two thousand years. It has been hounded and persecuted for many of those years, making it shine brighter then ever. When favour was shown it by the world, its light was dimmed, though never extinguished.

Christ's Assembly makes its way through the world as He Himself did:

"For he shall grow up before him as a tender sapling, and as a root out of dry ground: he hath no form nor lordliness, and when we see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him." Isaiah 53 v 2.​

Materialism is never something that can never be associated with the Lord, and neither should it be associated with His Church. The Church, constructed of every believer in Jesus, hath no form nor lordliness. Christianity is unpalatable to the natural mind, there's nothing in it to attract those whose eyes God has not opened. That being so, we have to acknowledge the danger of the charismatic movements and High Church systems which form religions around men or rituals, things which attract the natural mind and entrap people who earnestly believe that they have the truth, yet do not know salvation. I should make it clear though that I believe God isn't limited in His operations, there are undoubtedly believers in every sect in Christendom, saved in spite of false teaching. But, think of what these people are missing, think of what they're denied! They're occupied with things with will pass away, rather than that which is eternal, the corruptible, not the incorruptible.

That's materialism in Christendom, what about materialism in Christians? What about materialism in me? I firmly believe that every criticism I level at the world around me, I must first examine myself in view of it. Am I materialistic? Maybe I don't go to a fancy church building, and meet in a plain room with other, like-minded Christians, but what about my house? Is it filled with material things that take up my time and attention? Do I always feel dissatisfied and want more things? Do I look down on others because they don't have as much as I do, or pity them because of it? Am I occupied with getting things which aren't going to last, rather than "gold, purified by fire"?

Am I a Laodicean?

"Because thou sayest, I am rich, and am grown rich, and have need of nothing, and knowest not that thou art the wretched and the miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked; I counsel thee to buy of me gold purified by fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white garments, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness may not be made manifest; and eye-salve to anoint thine eyes, that thou mayest see." Revelation 3 v 17-18.​

I find that a testing question. Too often, I'm complacent, too busy picking Laodicean faults with the sects of Christendom. There is no room for complacency in Christianity, just as there's no room for materialism. Wouldn't you be upset if the Lord called you "lukewarm" (v 16)? I would! I worry about that. Am I just wandering along, neither fully committing to the Lord nor completely rejecting Him? That's a topic for another thread though.

In conclusion, materialism is as dangerous in Christendom as it is in ourselves, and we should always be watchful in case it creeps in. There's lots of things that can creep into the Christian's life, and I suppose we have to be vigilant about all of them.

I'm sorry for rattling on at such length, and I hope you'll bear with me, share my exercise and help me chew over this issue.

How true that is! I'd never considered that aspect of it.

I suppose the parable of the Samaritan has a bearing on it (It's one of my pet portions of scripture, there's so much in that parable, every detail is significant!): the traveller was attacked by robbers who took everything that he had. His possessions not only contributed to his ruin, they were taken from him and they didn't prove to be of any help in his dire situation. They helped get him into the mess, and they weren't any use in getting him out of it.

Of course, that's a bit of a simplistic way of looking at a wonderfully rich and deep portion of scripture, but I think we could draw that from it?

Don't get me started on the Samaritan! :lol I could go on for hours.

My brother who is very materialistic was talking to me about this the other day and he asked me what I would do if I lost everything today and I told him I would just start all over again as everything I own is only material pleasures, but even though my husband and I have worked hard for what we do have, and who doesn't like nice things, it would not bother me in the least if I lost it all.

He called me a liar and I told him I am not a materialistic person, even though I like nice things, but nice things can become ones idol as their are more important things in this life like our relationship with Christ and that's what is more important to me then that of the material. He just looked at me smilingly and said, I can see your perspective, but I know you like the things you have and I told him yes I do, but they were not as important then my own salvation in Christ.

Fancy Churches and padded pews will not bring you to the true love of Christ in having a personal relationship with him.

Luke 14:26, 33 If any man come unto me and hate not (hate not means putting your family first before God) his father, mother, wife, children, brethren and sister yes and his own life also he cannot be my disciple.
Luke 14:33, so likewise whosoever he be of you that forsakes not all that he hath he cannot be my disciple.

Matthew 16:24, 25 Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me let him deny himself and Take up his cross and follow me.
Matthew 16:25, for whosoever will save his life shall lose it and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it.

Colossians 3:1 If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God.
Colossians 3:2 Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth.
Colossians 3:3 for ye are dead and your life is hid with Christ in God.
Colossians 3:4 When Christ, who is our life, shall appear, then shall ye also appear with him in glory.

I agree completely. God's greatest cathedral is the firmament, and holy ground is the fertile soil beneath our feet. No wonders of man can compare with the wonders created by All-Mighty God. My preferred temples are places unspoiled by man.

This topic has been brought forcibly to my attention recently by something I read. I quote the following passage (as quoted in the published work mentioned below) from the North China Herald circa 1901, on the subject of the aftermath of the Boxer Rebellion:

I should say at the outset that, in quoting the above, I'm not singling out the Roman Catholic system for condemnation, neither am I expressing support for Protestantism. I think the passage serves to highlight the evil of materialism, and how it should have no place (but undoubtedly does) in Christendom.

Sadly, some in Christendom seem to be almost entirely occupied with what is outward. Great church buildings are erected and great value is placed on them, as can be seen from the above extract. Something is constructed which is not of God, but of man and for man. Do we really imagine that God is offended if He isn't worshipped in some ornate architectural marvel? Do we really think that the testimony of Christ is only alive in the grand palatial edifices of the religious world? Do we suppose that the service of God is somehow enhanced by lifeless ornaments and trinkets, such as crucifixes?

I'm sure that many people on this forum will be familiar with the history of the testimony of Christ. We know, unlike those who are in bondage to the Roman Catholic system of error, that the Church has not existed in worldly pomp and splendour over the past two thousand years. It has been hounded and persecuted for many of those years, making it shine brighter then ever. When favour was shown it by the world, its light was dimmed, though never extinguished.

Christ's Assembly makes its way through the world as He Himself did:
"For he shall grow up before him as a tender sapling, and as a root out of dry ground: he hath no form nor lordliness, and when we see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him." Isaiah 53 v 2.​
Materialism is never something that can never be associated with the Lord, and neither should it be associated with His Church. The Church, constructed of every believer in Jesus, hath no form nor lordliness. Christianity is unpalatable to the natural mind, there's nothing in it to attract those whose eyes God has not opened. That being so, we have to acknowledge the danger of the charismatic movements and High Church systems which form religions around men or rituals, things which attract the natural mind and entrap people who earnestly believe that they have the truth, yet do not know salvation. I should make it clear though that I believe God isn't limited in His operations, there are undoubtedly believers in every sect in Christendom, saved in spite of false teaching. But, think of what these people are missing, think of what they're denied! They're occupied with things with will pass away, rather than that which is eternal, the corruptible, not the incorruptible.

That's materialism in Christendom, what about materialism in Christians? What about materialism in me? I firmly believe that every criticism I level at the world around me, I must first examine myself in view of it. Am I materialistic? Maybe I don't go to a fancy church building, and meet in a plain room with other, like-minded Christians, but what about my house? Is it filled with material things that take up my time and attention? Do I always feel dissatisfied and want more things? Do I look down on others because they don't have as much as I do, or pity them because of it? Am I occupied with getting things which aren't going to last, rather than "gold, purified by fire"?

Am I a Laodicean?
"Because thou sayest, I am rich, and am grown rich, and have need of nothing, and knowest not that thou art the wretched and the miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked; I counsel thee to buy of me gold purified by fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white garments, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness may not be made manifest; and eye-salve to anoint thine eyes, that thou mayest see." Revelation 3 v 17-18.​
I find that a testing question. Too often, I'm complacent, too busy picking Laodicean faults with the sects of Christendom. There is no room for complacency in Christianity, just as there's no room for materialism. Wouldn't you be upset if the Lord called you "lukewarm" (v 16)? I would! I worry about that. Am I just wandering along, neither fully committing to the Lord nor completely rejecting Him? That's a topic for another thread though.

In conclusion, materialism is as dangerous in Christendom as it is in ourselves, and we should always be watchful in case it creeps in. There's lots of things that can creep into the Christian's life, and I suppose we have to be vigilant about all of them.

I'm sorry for rattling on at such length, and I hope you'll bear with me, share my exercise and help me chew over this issue.

I would only say, look closer. Spiritual matters are for the inward parts. What anyone else does or does not should not matter to one's faith.

It is only God Who Raises or puts down and there is a plenty to put down within each of us.

Matthew 6:34
Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.

s

My brother who is very materialistic was talking to me about this the other day and he asked me what I would do if I lost everything today and I told him I would just start all over again as everything I own is only material pleasures, but even though my husband and I have worked hard for what we do have, and who doesn't like nice things, it would not bother me in the least if I lost it all.

He called me a liar and I told him I am not a materialistic person, even though I like nice things, but nice things can become ones idol as their are more important things in this life like our relationship with Christ and that's what is more important to me then that of the material. He just looked at me smilingly and said, I can see your perspective, but I know you like the things you have and I told him yes I do, but they were not as important then my own salvation in Christ.
I'm not trying to pick on you but what you say raised a question for me. I don't see myself as materialistic either but then I wonder why I carry homeowner's insurance.

Materialism has nothing to do with wealth. We can be homeless and be materialistic and be a multi-millionaire and not be. When Lot's wife desired the things she left behind, Its unlikely that it was a 12 roomed mansion with his and her Ferrari's she was walking away from.

I'm not trying to pick on you but what you say raised a question for me. I don't see myself as materialistic either but then I wonder why I carry homeowner's insurance.

I carry renters insurance so I can afford to replace anything that might get damaged by a power serge like my last TV and in case of fire or anything else of catastrophe. That's only being prepared for what might happen and pray that it doesn't. My husband and I can't afford to just go out and by things so we get everything from a rent to own place. Yes you pay more, but when you live pay day to payday you have to do what you can do with what you have. I have started all over again a few times in my life after losing everything I owned by different reasons and it's no fun starting over again, but yet the things I lost were only material with little or no attachment to them.

Back