Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

**The Word of Faith Movement.........Twisted scripture

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Danus

I thought it would be nice to give Ol' Calvin a well deserved break in this section for a change, and delve into truly twisted form of theology rarely brought up on this forum. The Word of Faith movement.

Ever hear of it? The simplest way to start and familiarize folks is to start with a few names of those who subscribe to this form of theology then we can talk about what it is. An interesting note; The vast majority of well known WOF preachers are very wealthy. Here are a few well known that have their own privet jets and mansions
- Benny Hinn
- Frederick K.C. Price
- Creflo Dollar
- Jan and Paul Crouch
- K.A. Paul
- Joyce Meyer
- Paula And Randy White
- Mike Murdock
- Kenny Copeland
- Rod Parsley

There are many others who are well known, but not so well known as to stand out. Just as wealthy, but have honed their preaching styles as to keep the WOF philosophy very subtle and inspiring. These are the two slick ones.
- Joel Osteen
- Joseph Prince

There have been others who are just blatantly nuts, and my favorite of the group - Bob Tilton

So what is The Word of Faith? There are varying degrees of WOF, but basically it suggest, if not flat out says, that we are little gods created in the image of God, and just as God spoke and it was so, so it is with us when we learn to harness the "faith". This theology runs neck and neck with the prosperity theology. This form of theology will often use scriptures found in the bible emphasizing speaking, stating, or confessing, back up their rhetoric.

Know of a WOF minister? Watch any of these guys on TV? Like anything you hear from them?

I've heard of a few of them, but I don't think I've actually listened to any of them except Joyce Meyers for any extended period of time. What I heard from Joyce wasn't bad or wrong etc from a biblical perspective (Though it was more of a motivational speech than a bible lesson ), but it just didn't resonate with me. Hey, some people need to hear that though.

....it was more of a motivational speech than a bible lesson

Agree. This is a technique often used. It draws an audience very well. While there are some very inspiring words in the bible....few are very motivational. :) Listen long enough and the message begins to change or take on a new form to the listener.

Agree. This is a technique often used. It draws an audience very well. While there are some very inspiring words in the bible....few are very motivational. :) Listen long enough and the message begins to change or take on a new form to the listener.

I can see that... Anything we invest our time in takes on a new form the longer we surround ourselves in it.

I have spent some time with Augustine, Calvin, Rob Bell, Snodgrass, Jeremias, House, John Paul 2, Wright and I've also spent some time with the Ramban, and other Jewish Rabbi's. But I always go back to the Bible and it amazes me all the different perspectives...

I often wonder what would happen if I spent as much time in prayer as I did simply reading the bible...

I have spent some time with Augustine, Calvin, Rob Bell, Snodgrass, Jeremias, House, John Paul 2, Wright and I've also spent some time with the Ramban, and other Jewish Rabbi's. But I always go back to the Bible and it amazes me all the different perspectives...

....:lol to be clear your not mixing all those names in the same company.

There are great Christian thinkers who I may not agree with totally, Luther for one, but never the less I hold in extreme high regard & respect.

Rob Bell would not even make my "Z" list. :) But I do like to hear what other believe. I think that's what you'er saying as well.

I edited my post above. I hate to say anything bad while praying for God to bless me and lead in my job stuff...... but two of the guys you list in the OP REALLY get undre my skin.

Of course, had I ever listened to the rest of them, they'd probably get to me as well. :nono2

When I think of hte people hurt by them, the faith that is destroyed in people by guys like this with their off-their-rocker "theology", I get mad. Yes, actually mad.

Gotta move to another thread.

WOF is a cancer in the church.

These guys make my skin crawl. Should i be so angry? NO. They skim off old ladies.

Just using one of them for example.

Jim Bakker cheated on Tammy, heard she may of had a fling with Gary Paxton.. Now he is married a second time. God forgives, our sins are as far east can be from west. I know this...

jim went to jail for accounting fraud.

Jim is back on TV raising money from old ladies again did he repent?

I know people personally, small time preachers, who lie, cheat, steal, etc. I know of the cover-ups because they are someones son etc. ( cover-ups coming from the higher ups in the Assemblies of God church) One way the AofG has taken care of the 'problem' is to send the guys to the mission field :shame

WoF and a the AofG are pretty intertwined.

To be fair i have met some great men /women of God via the AofG. I would not trade my AofG Sunday School classes of the 50s-60s for anything.

Stovebolts with his cool car! :thumbsup He loves his car he keeps it clean he fixes broken stuff. What is seen and what is under the hood. We the, guys in the pew, should care more than that for our churches.

Thank God for the Holy Spirit. There is a song that says: Holy Spirit, be my comforter...Holy Spirit, take control...
Once the Spirit is leading us we will never make mistakes.
We need a church - but all we have is churches - and everybody believes what s/he believes.

---
We can teach People how to apply Faith. It should not be a song - we should not make it a tradition.
---
Give a million dollar and get a billion! Fine! We must be careful. :biggrin

Thank God for the Holy Spirit.
And it should not sound as if christians are meant to be poor. The truth is that some People are doing the wrong thing. Some preachers are over-emphasizing material possessions. :confused
God made the world a mixture of King Solomon and Lazarus including People who fall in between.
We all live to help one another, don't we?

There is a grain of truth to what they say--that we are to ask God for what we need and believe for his provision. The problem is that they treat faith like it is a force to be controlled and God as a servant to give them not only what they need but everything they want.

I remember several years ago at a church that my wife and I attended, although not WOF but having many similar teachings, they had a guest speaker who said that we should never pray that God's will be done, since that is a sign of a lack of faith. :o

reba said:
WOF is a cancer in the church.
Probably the best way to put it.

I remember several years ago at a church that my wife and I attended, although not WOF but having many similar teachings, they had a guest speaker who said that we should never pray that God's will be done, since that is a sign of a lack of faith. :o
:shocked Didn't you run away?

run away, wip out the old shotgun, and slay him with the matthew 6 verse telling him that he is wrong.

and yes "steve" :) does take care of his car, if he would only put a heater core in it so that his wife wont freeze in that thing.lol

Danus;576515 Know of a WOF minister? Watch any of these guys on TV? Like anything you hear from them?[/QUOTE said:
There is only one listed in OP that I like and respect and that is Joyce Meyer. Never thought of her as a WOF minister - I just thought she taught God's word. I do watch her, listen to her CD's and give to her ministry. I see no problem.

run away, wip out the old shotgun, and slay him with the matthew 6 verse telling him that he is wrong.

and yes "steve" :) does take care of his car, if he would only put a heater core in it so that his wife wont freeze in that thing.lol

:thumbsup
They always have counter verses. :sad

There is only one listed in OP that I like and respect and that is Joyce Meyer. Never thought of her as a WOF minister - I just thought she taught God's word. I do watch her, listen to her CD's and give to her ministry. I see no problem.

Joyce Meyer is certainly very popular. However, she is closely associated to many WOF preachers. She rarely really teaches biblical scripture, but she speaks about it and intertwines bits into her show which is most often just anecdotes of life. However, if you have given to her ministry, you should know that 90% of any money you have given for the furthering of the kingdom of Christ, has actually gone to the furthering of the kingdom of Joice Myers. Have a look at her home, or should I say, family compound?

View attachment 2110

Back