Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Bible Study The Word of God.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
I really find this topic interesting. I am still not finding where the NT ever claims to be the "word of God" as the OT does.

The apostles went out and preached to the people. Then later they wrote this to them regarding the preaching/letters that they gave/sent to the people

1Th 2:13 And for this cause we also thank God without ceasing, that, when ye received from us the word of the message, even the word of God, ye accepted it not as the word of men, but, as it is in truth, the word of God, which also worketh in you that believe.Php 2:13 for it is God who worketh in you.....Joh 1:1 ....and the Word was God.

It worketh in those that believe. Only the Word of God can work in us, because Jesus said, the Word is the Seed and your heart is the ground it falls in.Luk 8:11 Now the parable is this: The seed is the word of God.

Plus of course we have the numeric pattern that backs this all up :)

The apostles went out and preached to the people. Then later they wrote this to them regarding the preaching/letters that they gave/sent to the people

1Th 2:13 And for this cause we also thank God without ceasing, that, when ye received from us the word of the message, even the word of God, ye accepted it not as the word of men, but, as it is in truth, the word of God, which also worketh in you that believe.Php 2:13 for it is God who worketh in you.....Joh 1:1 ....and the Word was God.

It worketh in those that believe. Only the Word of God can work in us, because Jesus said, the Word is the Seed and your heart is the ground it falls in.Luk 8:11 Now the parable is this: The seed is the word of God.

When God says "the word" or "His Word", of course the NT was not available yet, but God knew there would be a NT. Sometimes people forget He knows beginning to the end.
He speaks that of which has not happened yet as though it has already happened.
For what my 2 cents is worth.

When God says "the word" or "His Word", of course the NT was not available yet, but God knew there would be a NT. Sometimes people forget He knows beginning to the end.

Amen.

I forget the exact details , but I know that people have shown that the end chapters of all the gospels could only have been written, if each author read all the other gospels before he wrote the end of his own.That would be impossible, unless you.......knew the end from the beginning :)

blessings
I am off to bed.......its bed time where I live. :)

I agree. The Word of God works in us. But they were specifically speaking of the "OT" as we would call it. They never once mention their letters as the Word of God. So why does the 'OT' do it and not the 'NT'?

The "word of the message" is simply the expounding upon who Christ is in the Scriptures. "The Word became Flesh"

Could it be that there is a reason why the NT never claims this authority, and why it specifically attributes it to the OT?

What you propose sounds "good" on the outside, but could it be that there is a not so good undertone?

This is just me asking. I am not sure if you have ever dealt with these sort of questions so I figured I would ask in case you have. I only mean it as honest questions.

I agree, but it still does not give a reason why the NT does not claim the authority like the OT did, especially when it specifically states that the OT is inspired and written by the Spirit of God.

I have just always been leery of attributing something when it does not even hint at it. By all means, if the NT somewhere makes the claim in some way or another I would love to hear it, but so far I have found nothing.

Amen.

I forget the exact details , but I know that people have shown that the end chapters of all the gospels could only have been written, if each author read all the other gospels before he wrote the end of his own.That would be impossible, unless you.......knew the end from the beginning :)

blessings
I am off to bed.......its bed time where I live. :)

Interesting. No need to stay up when its time for bed. I am sure this thread will be here in the morning, if not we can talk about it there? :)

I agree, but it still does not give a reason why the NT does not claim the authority like the OT did, especially when it specifically states that the OT is inspired and written by the Spirit of God.

I have just always been leery of attributing something when it does not even hint at it. By all means, if the NT somewhere makes the claim in some way or another I would love to hear it, but so far I have found nothing.

If it's not the Word of God, then what do you think it is? What does the NT mean to you? Does the Spirit teach you when you read it?

If it's not the Word of God, then what do you think it is? What does the NT mean to you? Does the Spirit teach you when you read it?

I believe it is messages given to us by people of God. It is a description of what the Scriptures are talking about.

To me the NT means a view into the OT with the purpose fulfilled in Christ.

The Spirit teaches me truth that accompanies Salvation, grounded in the Scriptures(OT).

2Ti 3:16 All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness,

2Ti 3:17 that the man of God may be competent, equipped for every good work.

The NT teaches me this fact. The OT is the basis for what we must interpret the NT on. But what we do is use the NT for the basis of what we interpret the OT on.

I believe that if the separation of the two does not exist, then we can get them 'mixed' up. (no pun intended)

It's pretty obvious when you look carefully at the places where the 'word of God' or the 'word of the Lord' is used, that the NT means several things.

1 It is the title given to Jesus (as in the Revelation)

2 Most often, it refers to the preaching of the gospel.and the message that was preached - as in Acts quite clearly, where as one instance, the apostles would not leave the word of the Lord to serve tables.

3 The scriptures are the scriptures. 'Ye search the scriptures...' Jn 5.39

Acts 17.1 '...they searched the scriptures daily'

See also 2 Tim.3. 15,16

Yes, this is what I see and you are the only other person, who I have ever "met", see this, too. Although, I am young perhaps this is common knowledge and I am just now seeing.
It is huge, the entire Word full and then comes Revelation. :)
Thanks -
Jake

You have now met 3, Jake, I believe this, too. :)
Welcome to the board!

if that was the case nathan?

what of the fact that themes match perfectly

you can find the near or very close statements by the lord in the ot and paul as well

shall i show you all?

commonly quoted one , paul says this and isaih

1 cor 2:9

But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.

is 64:4
4For since the beginning of the world men have not heard, nor perceived by the ear, neither hath the eye seen, O God, beside thee, what he hath prepared for him that waiteth for him.

and paul is quoting isaiah in the first corinthian letters.

shall i continue theres a ton of these, especially in eschatology!

The OT is looking forward to the CROSS (cross meaning all that it stands for and the life of Jesus ect.)

The NT looks back to the same Cross.

Two facts stand out at least in just one Inspired verse of the Word of God. The Bible is God's Inspired Testimony which needs all of it to know His FINISHED Virgin Doctrines. Matt. 4:4 (like the pieces of a puzzel being put together for the 'total' picture. That indeed is one test for Truth as Isa. 8:20 teaches. But that was not the NUMBER ONE TEST, mentioned Huh?

Some on this site would even call the Godhead Legalist! (Ignorant ones;)) If you could only read my personal email!)

Anyway: We also are to TEST everything by the Law of the Godhead and if they speak not according to this Word (also) it is because there is no light in them.'

--Elijah

Psa 14:3 They are all gone aside, they are all together become filthy: there is none that doeth good, no, not one.

Rom 3:12 They are all gone out of the way, they are together become unprofitable; there is none that doeth good, no, not one.

A slip of the Calvin tongue

you can find the near or very close statements by the lord in the ot and paul as well

shall i show you all?

lol. No. I do not think we have enough room Jason. :lol

They do indeed match perfectly, in fact most of the NT is quoted from the OT. But just because it was quoted means it is the exact same?

How many verses were quoted on this thread so far? Does that make everything else the "word of God"?

My point is that the NT is Inspired by God, but has to be view as its own 'group'. The OT is inspired and the declared word of God. We do not find those same things in the NT. There must be a reason why.

They do indeed match perfectly, in fact most of the NT is quoted from the OT. But just because it was quoted means it is the exact same?

How many verses were quoted on this thread so far? Does that make everything else the "word of God"?

My point is that the NT is Inspired by God, but has to be view as its own 'group'. The OT is inspired and the declared word of God. We do not find those same things in the NT. There must be a reason why.

you do realise that ot/nt divide was never there till marcion the heretic.

the jews of them had the same faith, otherwise jesus couldnt say for if ye knew moses then you would have known me as he wrote of me.

you should read what the ot says and dig more.

Last edited by a moderator:

shall i show you all?

My point is that the NT is Inspired by God, but has to be view as its own 'group'. The OT is inspired and the declared word of God. We do not find those same things in the NT. There must be a reason why.?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back