Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

There is an alternative to trinitarianism/ non-trinitarianism.

The word in nature is not God because the word was made mortal flesh. Mortal flesh is not the nature of God.
John 1 begins with talking about the Word prior to the incarnation and then mentions the incarnation in verse 14. Their is a (mostly) chronological flow from 1:1-18. "The Word was with God, and the Word was God" and then the Word "became flesh and dwelt among us." Given that God can never cease to be God, Jesus retained the nature that is deity while also joining to it, not mixing, human nature.

My question was, “Is the Word a name of Jesus?”
Do you understand that when the Word took on flesh and became Jesus, He was no longer "the Word" ?
If He was still the Word, the world would be worshipping a quadrinity instead of a trinity.

Is that what Jesus is saying? We shouldn't be basing doctrine on something that isn't stated anywhere. Do you know where "Son of Man" comes from?
Why does this require Jesus pre-existing in heaven? Nothing here requires that. Nothing in any of the texts about Jesus coming from heaven require him having pre-existed there for some unspecified period of time. Just like the manna that did not exist eternally in heaven, but was rather sent from heaven by God, it's the same with Jesus.

John 3
13And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven.

We should be basing our doctrine on what is clearly stated. Jesus clearly stated that he came from heaven, more than once.
Then what was Jesus doing in heaven before coming to earth? Verse?

His disciples understood him to be saying that he came from heaven. John stated that the Word was already in existence when the beginning began,
In 1 John 1:1-3 that isn't what John was saying. He was referring to the Word as something that was revealed.

was with God, and was God in nature, and then "became [entered into existence at a point in time] flesh and dwelt among us."
Yes, compare it to 1 John 1:1-3.

John said that when Isaiah saw the glory of Yahweh, he saw the glory of Jesus (as the Son).
No never. That would be a pretty major contradiction with Jesus not being God.

Jesus said he shared in the Father's glory before the foundation of the world.
Clearly not in a literal sense.

Thomas calls Jesus his Lord and his God.
If that's what Thomas said then he was alone. None of the other disciples said that. The truth is that their God is the Father as Jesus said in John 20:17.

Again, from the beginning of John's gospel right through to the end, there are numerous explicit and implicit statements that Jesus is more than just human, that he is truly God in human flesh.
I disagree.

Do you understand that when the Word took on flesh and became Jesus, He was no longer "the Word" ?
If He was still the Word, the world would be worshipping a quadrinity instead of a trinity.
The Father has life in Himself, and has GIVEN the son to have life also in himself.
If the life that is in the son is given to him from the Father,, then that life could not have always existed in the son.
Jesus was given the name “the Word of God” which is the Word of life. And also given the Spirit which gives life.
This is why I believe Jesus can be recognized as God, as his God.

Why does this require Jesus pre-existing in heaven? Nothing here requires that. Nothing in any of the texts about Jesus coming from heaven require him having pre-existed there for some unspecified period of time. Just like the manna that did not exist eternally in heaven, but was rather sent from heaven by God, it's the same with Jesus.
Can't you see that your own argument proves my point and disproves yours? Did God create the manna on earth and then send it back into heaven so that it could come down from heaven? Manna came down from heaven. The Son came down from heaven, not up into heaven and then back down.

John 3
13And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven.
Just as the manna originated from heaven, not earth, so the Son of Man “originated” from heaven, not earth. That is rather his point; it makes no sense otherwise. And, again, do you know where "Son of Man" comes from and why Jesus refers to himself as such?

Then what was Jesus doing in heaven before coming to earth? Verse?
Not Jesus, the Son. I’ve pointed out before that wherever you see YHWH acting, you see the Son acting. Again, John 1:3, 1 Cor 8:6, Col 1:16-17, and Heb 1:2-3, 10-12, show the Son being involved in creating everything that has been created.

In 1 John 1:1-3 that isn't what John was saying.
Which isn't relevant to what he says in John 1:1-2.

He was referring to the Word as something that was revealed.
Of course, that is what John states in John 1:4, 9-17, and then expanded upon in the rest of his gospel as shown in the works of Jesus.

Yes, compare it to 1 John 1:1-3.
Yes, what? Are you now agreeing that the Word was (and is) a person who is in nature God? Compare to what, exactly, in 1 John 1:1-3?

No never. That would be a pretty major contradiction with Jesus not being God.
I agree it would be a major contradiction if Jesus wasn't God, but the fact remains that it isn't a contradiction at all. Why have you been ignoring my posts where I first implied and then showed that John states Isaiah saw the glory of the Son when Isaiah saw YHWH on his throne?

Again, I have been pointing out the continuous message of John--that Jesus is truly God in human flesh--which extends through the NT and has basis in the OT.

Clearly not in a literal sense.
That is only your unsubstantiated opinion. First, there is nothing to suggest that Jesus didn't mean it in a literal sense. The onus is on you to prove he didn't mean it in a literal sense. Second, I have given ample evidence that the writers of the NT certainly believed that Jesus preexisted with the Father (and, by extension, the Holy Spirit). And that is only because Jesus himself explicitly and implicitly stated that he preexisted with the Father.

Every single, clear proof, based on a plain reading of Scripture, you dismiss without basis nor evidence for your understanding.

If that's what Thomas said then he was alone. None of the other disciples said that.
Thomas alone said it, but he would have been far from the only one. Neither Jesus nor any of the other disciples rebuked Thomas. In fact, as I have pointed out previously, there are a few occasions where the disciples worshiped Jesus. All of it blasphemous, if Jesus wasn't also truly God.

The truth is that their God is the Father as Jesus said in John 20:17.
Which doesn't preclude Jesus from also being truly God in human flesh.

I disagree.
Of course you do, and you do so once again based on mere opinion, not evidence.

Can't you see that your own argument proves my point and disproves yours? Did God create the manna on earth and then send it back into heaven so that it could come down from heaven? Manna came down from heaven. The Son came down from heaven, not up into heaven and then back down.
Not at all. Let's not lose sight of the fact that Jesus, a human, was certifiably born on earth first. He didn't descend from heaven in the first place. The word "Son of man" refers to being a human and is used as such throughout the Bible.

Job 25​
6How much less man, that is a worm? and the son of man, which is a worm?
Psalm 144​
3LORD, what is man, that thou takest knowledge of him! or the son of man, that thou makest account of him!

Just as the manna originated from heaven, not earth, so the Son of Man “originated” from heaven, not earth. That is rather his point; it makes no sense otherwise. And, again, do you know where "Son of Man" comes from and why Jesus refers to himself as such?
Jesus was specific about being the "Son of Man" from heaven and not the "Son of God" from heaven. Jesus didn't pre-exist in heaven as a human. While the manna was literally rained down from the sky according to Exodus 16:4, Jesus didn't literally descend from heaven as the Son of Man. He was born in Bethlehem and his mother is Mary.

That's why Jesus said so as recorded by John. Jesus said he first ascended up to heaven and then came back down. God took Jesus, temporarily. This isn't unprecedented as God also took Enoch, Elijah, and Paul knew a man who ascended up to heaven as well.

John 3​
13And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven.​

While there are many comparisons to be made between Jesus and the manna, as Jesus pointed out in John 6, they are not identical because coming from heaven doesn't imply literally pre-existing. There is no record of manna pre-existing eternally in heaven.

Some examples. John the Baptist was sent from God, but we don't make a doctrine about John the Baptist being God or pre-existing. John 1:6.

John's water baptism was from heaven according to Luke 20:4-8 but it wasn't rained down from the sky. Being from heaven sometimes means from the authority of God.

So to even make your doctrine work, you should have clear examples of Jesus saying or doing anything in a pre-existent state. Yes it's required to have Biblical evidence to believe things.

The Father has life in Himself, and has GIVEN the son to have life also in himself.
If the life that is in the son is given to him from the Father,, then that life could not have always existed in the son.
True, Jesus didn't have human life until He was conceived in Mary.
Before He took on flesh, He was the Word.
Jesus was given the name “the Word of God”
Post-resurrection.
The only place in the bible that I see that phrase is 1 John 1:1..."That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we have looked upon, and our hands have handled, of the Word of life;"
John knew that the Word became Jesus when He was conceived in Mary.
which is the Word of life. And also given the Spirit which gives life.
This is why I believe Jesus can be recognized as God, as his God.
So Jesus worshipped Himself, and prayed to Himself in the garden of Gethsemane ?

Not at all. Let's not lose sight of the fact that Jesus, a human, was certifiably born on earth first.
Of course. No one has said otherwise.

The word "Son of man" refers to being a human and is used as such throughout the Bible.

Job 25​
6How much less man, that is a worm? and the son of man, which is a worm?
Psalm 144​
3LORD, what is man, that thou takest knowledge of him! or the son of man, that thou makest account of him!

Jesus was specific about being the "Son of Man" from heaven and not the "Son of God" from heaven.
Incorrect. Yes, the phrase is used most often of humans, but context determines meaning. Jesus is the Messiah, correct? Let's look at this Messianic passage:

Dan 7:13 “I saw in the night visions, and behold, with the clouds of heaven there came one like a son of man, and he came to the Ancient of Days and was presented before him.
Dan 7:14 And to him was given dominion and glory and a kingdom, that all peoples, nations, and languages should serve him; his dominion is an everlasting dominion, which shall not pass away, and his kingdom one that shall not be destroyed.

The "son of man" here is a divine being--"with the clouds of heaven there came" (see Ps 104:3 and Isa 19:1)--and not merely a man, as evidenced by "like," who resides in heaven, it would seem.

Given that Jesus is the Messiah and King, and refers to himself most often as the Son of Man, it is very clear that he is using that title as it is used in Dan 7:13.

Mat 12:8 For the Son of Man is lord of the Sabbath."

Mat 13:41 The Son of Man will send his angels, and they will gather out of his kingdom all causes of sin and all law-breakers,

Mat 16:27 For the Son of Man is going to come with his angels in the glory of his Father, and then he will repay each person according to what he has done.
Mat 16:28 Truly, I say to you, there are some standing here who will not taste death until they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom.”

Mat 19:28 Jesus said to them, “Truly, I say to you, in the new world, when the Son of Man will sit on his glorious throne, you who have followed me will also sit on twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel.

And, importantly:

Mat 26:63 But Jesus remained silent. And the high priest said to him, “I adjure you by the living God, tell us if you are the Christ, the Son of God.”
Mat 26:64 Jesus said to him, “You have said so. But I tell you, from now on you will see the Son of Man seated at the right hand of Power and coming on the clouds of heaven.”
Mat 26:65 Then the high priest tore his robes and said, “He has uttered blasphemy. What further witnesses do we need? You have now heard his blasphemy.
Mat 26:66 What is your judgment?” They answered, “He deserves death.”

That is a clear claim to be the divine being in Dan 7:13-14, rightly deserving of blasphemy if Jesus wasn't actually the Son of Man.

(All ESV.)

Jesus didn't pre-exist in heaven as a human.
Of course not; no one is making that argument.

Jesus didn't literally descend from heaven as the Son of Man.
Except that John1:14 and Phil 2:6-8 explicitly state otherwise. Many other passages which I have given imply the same.

That's why Jesus said so as recorded by John. Jesus said he first ascended up to heaven and then came back down. God took Jesus, temporarily. This isn't unprecedented as God also took Enoch, Elijah, and Paul knew a man who ascended up to heaven as well.

John 3​
13And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven.​
Jesus did not say he first ascended to heaven then came down. He ascends at the end of his ministry, not before. Again, context is important, as it always is. Jesus is saying that no one has been in heaven so as to understand heavenly things, except for him, which is why he understands and can teach on heavenly things.

While there are many comparisons to be made between Jesus and the manna, as Jesus pointed out in John 6, they are not identical because coming from heaven doesn't imply literally pre-existing. There is no record of manna pre-existing eternally in heaven.

Some examples. John the Baptist was sent from God, but we don't make a doctrine about John the Baptist being God or pre-existing. John 1:6.
You're completely ignoring context which results in poor reasoning. The Son is shown in Scripture to have preexisted, unlike John the Baptist. Whether or not manna preexisted in heaven is irrelevant.

Joh 6:32 Jesus then said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, it was not Moses who gave you the bread from heaven, but my Father gives you the true bread from heaven.
Joh 6:33 For the bread of God is he who comes down from heaven and gives life to the world.”
Joh 6:34 They said to him, “Sir, give us this bread always.”
Joh 6:35 Jesus said to them, “I am the bread of life; whoever comes to me shall not hunger, and whoever believes in me shall never thirst.
Joh 6:36 But I said to you that you have seen me and yet do not believe.
Joh 6:37 All that the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never cast out.
Joh 6:38 For I have come down from heaven, not to do my own will but the will of him who sent me.
Joh 6:39 And this is the will of him who sent me, that I should lose nothing of all that he has given me, but raise it up on the last day.
Joh 6:40 For this is the will of my Father, that everyone who looks on the Son and believes in him should have eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day.”
Joh 6:41 So the Jews grumbled about him, because he said, “I am the bread that came down from heaven.”
Joh 6:42 They said, “Is not this Jesus, the son of Joseph, whose father and mother we know? How does he now say, ‘I have come down from heaven’?”
Joh 6:43 Jesus answered them, “Do not grumble among yourselves.
Joh 6:44 No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him. And I will raise him up on the last day.
Joh 6:45 It is written in the Prophets, ‘And they will all be taught by God.’ Everyone who has heard and learned from the Father comes to me—
Joh 6:46 not that anyone has seen the Father except he who is from God; he has seen the Father.
Joh 6:47 Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever believes has eternal life.
Joh 6:48 I am the bread of life.
Joh 6:49 Your fathers ate the manna in the wilderness, and they died.
Joh 6:50 This is the bread that comes down from heaven, so that one may eat of it and not die.
Joh 6:51 I am the living bread that came down from heaven. If anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever. And the bread that I will give for the life of the world is my flesh.” (ESV)

Jesus clearly believes that he has come down from heaven, as the true, living bread, just as the manna came down from heaven. That is his whole point.

John's water baptism was from heaven according to Luke 20:4-8 but it wasn't rained down from the sky. Being from heaven sometimes means from the authority of God.
The clear meaning is that John's baptism was given by God, that his authority came from God, which is the very thing Jesus was trying to prove about himself in response to the question he was asked.

So to even make your doctrine work, you should have clear examples of Jesus saying or doing anything in a pre-existent state.
This is all just fallaciously begging the question. You would have a much better understanding of what the Bible says if you would stop using poor reasoning and get a grasp on basic hermeneutic principles.

Yes it's required to have Biblical evidence to believe things.
Yet, I've given you lots, but you either ignore it, dismiss it, or mistranslate it because you don't seem to understand basic hermeneutic principles, such as context and that clear Scripture interprets less clear Scripture. You take everything piecemeal and that will almost always lead to error.

Incorrect. Yes, the phrase is used most often of humans, but context determines meaning. Jesus is the Messiah, correct? Let's look at this Messianic passage:

Dan 7:13 “I saw in the night visions, and behold, with the clouds of heaven there came one like a son of man, and he came to the Ancient of Days and was presented before him.
Dan 7:14 And to him was given dominion and glory and a kingdom, that all peoples, nations, and languages should serve him; his dominion is an everlasting dominion, which shall not pass away, and his kingdom one that shall not be destroyed.

The "son of man" here is a divine being--"with the clouds of heaven there came" (see Ps 104:3 and Isa 19:1)--and not merely a man, as evidenced by "like," who resides in heaven, it would seem.

Given that Jesus is the Messiah and King, and refers to himself most often as the Son of Man, it is very clear that he is using that title as it is used in Dan 7:13.

Mat 12:8 For the Son of Man is lord of the Sabbath."

Mat 13:41 The Son of Man will send his angels, and they will gather out of his kingdom all causes of sin and all law-breakers,

Mat 16:27 For the Son of Man is going to come with his angels in the glory of his Father, and then he will repay each person according to what he has done.
Mat 16:28 Truly, I say to you, there are some standing here who will not taste death until they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom.”

Mat 19:28 Jesus said to them, “Truly, I say to you, in the new world, when the Son of Man will sit on his glorious throne, you who have followed me will also sit on twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel.

And, importantly:

Mat 26:63 But Jesus remained silent. And the high priest said to him, “I adjure you by the living God, tell us if you are the Christ, the Son of God.”
Mat 26:64 Jesus said to him, “You have said so. But I tell you, from now on you will see the Son of Man seated at the right hand of Power and coming on the clouds of heaven.”
Mat 26:65 Then the high priest tore his robes and said, “He has uttered blasphemy. What further witnesses do we need? You have now heard his blasphemy.
Mat 26:66 What is your judgment?” They answered, “He deserves death.”

That is a clear claim to be the divine being in Dan 7:13-14, rightly deserving of blasphemy if Jesus wasn't actually the Son of Man.

(All ESV.)

Of course not; no one is making that argument.

Except that John1:14 and Phil 2:6-8 explicitly state otherwise. Many other passages which I have given imply the same.

Jesus did not say he first ascended to heaven then came down. He ascends at the end of his ministry, not before. Again, context is important, as it always is. Jesus is saying that no one has been in heaven so as to understand heavenly things, except for him, which is why he understands and can teach on heavenly things.

You're completely ignoring context which results in poor reasoning. The Son is shown in Scripture to have preexisted, unlike John the Baptist. Whether or not manna preexisted in heaven is irrelevant.

Joh 6:32 Jesus then said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, it was not Moses who gave you the bread from heaven, but my Father gives you the true bread from heaven.
Joh 6:33 For the bread of God is he who comes down from heaven and gives life to the world.”
Joh 6:34 They said to him, “Sir, give us this bread always.”
Joh 6:35 Jesus said to them, “I am the bread of life; whoever comes to me shall not hunger, and whoever believes in me shall never thirst.
Joh 6:36 But I said to you that you have seen me and yet do not believe.
Joh 6:37 All that the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never cast out.
Joh 6:38 For I have come down from heaven, not to do my own will but the will of him who sent me.
Joh 6:39 And this is the will of him who sent me, that I should lose nothing of all that he has given me, but raise it up on the last day.
Joh 6:40 For this is the will of my Father, that everyone who looks on the Son and believes in him should have eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day.”
Joh 6:41 So the Jews grumbled about him, because he said, “I am the bread that came down from heaven.”
Joh 6:42 They said, “Is not this Jesus, the son of Joseph, whose father and mother we know? How does he now say, ‘I have come down from heaven’?”
Joh 6:43 Jesus answered them, “Do not grumble among yourselves.
Joh 6:44 No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him. And I will raise him up on the last day.
Joh 6:45 It is written in the Prophets, ‘And they will all be taught by God.’ Everyone who has heard and learned from the Father comes to me—
Joh 6:46 not that anyone has seen the Father except he who is from God; he has seen the Father.
Joh 6:47 Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever believes has eternal life.
Joh 6:48 I am the bread of life.
Joh 6:49 Your fathers ate the manna in the wilderness, and they died.
Joh 6:50 This is the bread that comes down from heaven, so that one may eat of it and not die.
Joh 6:51 I am the living bread that came down from heaven. If anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever. And the bread that I will give for the life of the world is my flesh.” (ESV)

Jesus clearly believes that he has come down from heaven, as the true, living bread, just as the manna came down from heaven. That is his whole point.

The clear meaning is that John's baptism was given by God, that his authority came from God, which is the very thing Jesus was trying to prove about himself in response to the question he was asked.

This is all just fallaciously begging the question. You would have a much better understanding of what the Bible says if you would stop using poor reasoning and get a grasp on basic hermeneutic principles.

Yet, I've given you lots, but you either ignore it, dismiss it, or mistranslate it because you don't seem to understand basic hermeneutic principles, such as context and that clear Scripture interprets less clear Scripture. You take everything piecemeal and that will almost always lead to error.
It was, after all, Jesus quoting that exact passage of Daniel that finalized his false conviction by the Sanhedrin, who weren't working for who they thought they were working for.

Yes and Jesus said later, "And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory..." in Matt 24:30. confirming that there is a connection between what Daniel 7:13,14 says.

But why is that a problem for the humanity of Jesus? Before his resurrection he is the Son of Man and then after his resurrection he is still the Son of Man.

Resurrected humans ascending or descending through the sky is a real Biblical concept but it doesn't occur under their own power. For example, Acts 1:11 says that Jesus was taken to heaven and will return in like manner. That means Jesus will be brought back still the Son of Man.

This is also the same thing that Paul believed and taught to people. He said so in 1 Thessalonians 4:14-18. God will bring Jesus back and those other post-resurrection folks will also be in the air like Jesus.

1 Thess. 4:14-18
14For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him. 15For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep. 16For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: 17Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord. 18Wherefore comfort one another with these words.

(All ESV.)
No problem with Jesus being Messiah, King, and Son of Man, but not equal to blaspheming God. In Matthew 12:31,32 Jesus was clear that speaking against the Son of Man, and all other sins for that matter, will be forgiven. However, speaking against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven.

So how there is distinction between the consequences of speaking against the Son of Man and God?

I was hoping you would take into account that even though your argument relies on Jesus being the divine Son of Man that you would address the fact that God said He isn't a son of man. So here's where I am at: manna, John the Baptist, John's water baptism, and the Son of Man are all sent by God. Whether they literally came from the sky may be literal some time. In any case, they were all sent by God.

What pretty much settles it for me is this is what is said in Numbers. Don't you think Daniel would have been cognizant of Numbers while writing his prophecies? Surely he would have.

Numbers 23
19God is not a man, that he should lie; neither the son of man, that he should repent: hath he said, and shall he not do it? or hath he spoken, and shall he not make it good?

Not at all. I have been saying all along that Jesus taught he is the Son of Man from heaven. Refers to being a human. Didn't he ascend to heaven as a fully resurrected man?

John 3
It seems your implying flesh and blood descended. Jesus made no such claim. "He" descended.
When Jesus spoke He was the Son of Man. The Son who was wasn't flesh and blood. That body was prepared for Him who descended from Heaven. It's clear to me His spirit was in that body. The flesh counts for nothing the spirit is life. That life from the Fathers presence appeared in flesh. The one who came from the Fathers presence as the only eyewitness of God and testified to what He saw and heard.

The resurrected glorified body of Jesus ascended to where He was before. We don't know alot about such spiritual bodies but those found worthy by God to be raised up on the last days will have a body like Jesus who is the beginning and first to be raised in that resurrection. (The firstborn from the dead), flesh and blood can't inherit the eternal life.

As was testified the Logos became flesh. (The Son of Man)
The nature of the Logos was Gods, nature. (Father's) (God was the Word)
For in Him, (The Son who was before all things), the fullness was pleased to dwell.

Yes and Jesus said later, "And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory..." in Matt 24:30. confirming that there is a connection between what Daniel 7:13,14 says.

But why is that a problem for the humanity of Jesus? Before his resurrection he is the Son of Man and then after his resurrection he is still the Son of Man.
It isn't a problem for his humanity. It very much shows his humanity, but it's not mere humanity, as the divine "human" in Dan 7 shows.

Here is yet another inconsistency in your position. You had stated: 'The word "Son of man" refers to being a human.'

So, why then, doesn't "Son of God" refer to being God?

Resurrected humans ascending or descending through the sky is a real Biblical concept but it doesn't occur under their own power. For example, Acts 1:11 says that Jesus was taken to heaven and will return in like manner. That means Jesus will be brought back still the Son of Man.

This is also the same thing that Paul believed and taught to people. He said so in 1 Thessalonians 4:14-18. God will bring Jesus back and those other post-resurrection folks will also be in the air like Jesus.

1 Thess. 4:14-18
14For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him. 15For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep. 16For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: 17Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord. 18Wherefore comfort one another with these words.
Yes, of course. I'm not sure what point you're making here.

No problem with Jesus being Messiah, King, and Son of Man, but not equal to blaspheming God. In Matthew 12:31,32 Jesus was clear that speaking against the Son of Man, and all other sins for that matter, will be forgiven. However, speaking against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven.

So how there is distinction between the consequences of speaking against the Son of Man and God?
Because they were attributing the work of the Holy Spirit through Christ to Satan. That is the unpardonable sin. Forgiveness of blasphemy against Christ is on the basis of his shed blood through repentance and faith in him.

I was hoping you would take into account that even though your argument relies on Jesus being the divine Son of Man that you would address the fact that God said He isn't a son of man.
This is just poor reasoning, as I have pointed out. See below.

So here's where I am at: manna, John the Baptist, John's water baptism, and the Son of Man are all sent by God. Whether they literally came from the sky may be literal some time. In any case, they were all sent by God.
Things said of Jesus generally have a different meaning than when said of others. Again, you're ignoring a lot of context.

What pretty much settles it for me is this is what is said in Numbers. Don't you think Daniel would have been cognizant of Numbers while writing his prophecies? Surely he would have.

Numbers 23
19God is not a man, that he should lie; neither the son of man, that he should repent: hath he said, and shall he not do it? or hath he spoken, and shall he not make it good?
Because God isn't a man or a son of man. There is no problem here. You're begging the question by presuming that God can't take on human flesh, but that is nowhere even implied in the above verse.

It seems your implying flesh and blood descended. Jesus made no such claim. "He" descended.
When Jesus spoke He was the Son of Man. The Son who was wasn't flesh and blood. That body was prepared for Him who descended from Heaven. It's clear to me His spirit was in that body. The flesh counts for nothing the spirit is life. That life from the Fathers presence appeared in flesh. The one who came from the Fathers presence as the only eyewitness of God and testified to what He saw and heard.

The resurrected glorified body of Jesus ascended to where He was before. We don't know alot about such spiritual bodies but those found worthy by God to be raised up on the last days will have a body like Jesus who is the beginning and first to be raised in that resurrection. (The firstborn from the dead), flesh and blood can't inherit the eternal life.

As was testified the Logos became flesh. (The Son of Man)
The nature of the Logos was Gods, nature. (Father's) (God was the Word)
For in Him, (The Son who was before all things), the fullness was pleased to dwell.
I am just saying what he taught, not what literally happened. Jesus didn't literally pre-exist as the Son of Man prior to his teaching that he as the Son of Man descended. He existed in God's foreknowledge before God's word manifested in a man which is to say the Word became flesh. The glory Jesus had with the Father before the world was was also in God's set plan and foreknowledge. So what does the Bible say Jesus' glory is? His crucifixion and resurrection, yet he was not crucified or resurrected before the world was.

John 17
1When Jesus had spoken these things, He lifted up His eyes to heaven and said, “Father, the hour has come. Glorify Your Son, that Your Son may glorify You. 2For You granted Him authority over all people, so that He may give eternal life to all those You have given Him. 3Now this is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom You have sent. 4I have glorified You on earth by accomplishing the work You gave Me to do. 5And now, Father, glorify Me in Your presence with the glory I had with You before the world existed.

I am just saying what he taught, not what literally happened. Jesus didn't literally pre-exist as the Son of Man prior to his teaching that he as the Son of Man descended. He existed in God's foreknowledge before God's word manifested in a man which is to say the Word became flesh. The glory Jesus had with the Father before the world was was also in God's set plan and foreknowledge. So what does the Bible say Jesus' glory is? His crucifixion and resurrection, yet he was not crucified or resurrected before the world was.

John 17
1When Jesus had spoken these things, He lifted up His eyes to heaven and said, “Father, the hour has come. Glorify Your Son, that Your Son may glorify You. 2For You granted Him authority over all people, so that He may give eternal life to all those You have given Him. 3Now this is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom You have sent. 4I have glorified You on earth by accomplishing the work You gave Me to do. 5And now, Father, glorify Me in Your presence with the glory I had with You before the world existed.
I’m including the next verse (6):

6 I manifested Your name to the men whom You have given Me out of the world. They were Yours, You gave them to Me, and they have kept Your word.(logos)

John 17
We are stating what He and the Apostles taught. He descended from above as the only eyewitness of God and spoke of things He saw and heard in His Fathers presence, that which was from the beginning, the eternal life appeared which they saw and heard and touched, they declare Him to the whole world. The Word of life. God was the Word. He appeared in flesh. I agree He did come to do His Fathers will not His own. The Father did speak to us in these last days by His Son. This truth has been made plain to the whole world and those who believe certify God is truthful.

The Glory and preeminence of the Son who was and is , which you seem not to hear even though you claim God is your Father.

The Son is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation. 16For in him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things have been created through him and for him. 17He is before all things, and in him all things hold together. 18And he is the head of the body, the church; he is the beginning and the firstborn from among the dead, so that in everything he might have the supremacy. 19For God was pleased to have all his fullness dwell in him, 20and through him to reconcile to himself all things, whether things on earth or things in heaven, by making peace through his blood, shed on the cross.

We are stating what He and the Apostles taught. He descended from above as the only eyewitness of God and spoke of things He saw and heard in His Fathers presence, that which was from the beginning, the eternal life appeared which they saw and heard and touched, they declare Him to the whole world. The Word of life. God was the Word. He appeared in flesh. I agree He did come to do His Fathers will not His own. The Father did speak to us in these last days by His Son. This truth has been made plain to the whole world and those who believe certify God is truthful.

The Glory and preeminence of the Son who was and is , which you seem not to hear even though you claim God is your Father.
I believe we just sorted out previous to this that Jesus didn't originate as a human being in heaven, yet he plainly taught he is the Son of Man from heaven and son of man refers to being a human in the Bible. It's also on record that God is not a son of man in Numbers 23:19.

We can rightly conclude that Jesus is referring to being from heaven in the sense that he was sent by God, but not that he pre-existed in heaven as the Son of Man. Notice Jesus was careful to never say he pre-existed as the Son of God. Why? The Son of Man is the Son of God. The way the Son of God descended from heaven is the same way John the Baptist was a man sent by God (John 1:6) and John's water baptism was from heaven (Luke 20:4-8). None of them literally came down from the sky, but were ordained by the authority of God and sent.

Now do you see why there are no examples of an alleged pre-existent Jesus saying or doing anything in the Bible? Nothing in the Old Testament, no clear examples in the New Testament.

The Son is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation. 16For in him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things have been created through him and for him. 17He is before all things, and in him all things hold together. 18And he is the head of the body, the church; he is the beginning and the firstborn from among the dead, so that in everything he might have the supremacy. 19For God was pleased to have all his fullness dwell in him, 20and through him to reconcile to himself all things, whether things on earth or things in heaven, by making peace through his blood, shed on the cross.
Begin with verse 15 that calls Jesus the "image of the invisible God." That means Jesus isn't the invisible God and is therefore not the God. 1 Timothy 1:17 says the only God is invisible, not an image. Someone who isn't God didn't create everything. This may be difficult for you to accept still, but if you will examine Colossians 1:15-20 it's specifically about the church being made "in" or "through" Jesus, not by Jesus as if he's the originator. Pay close attention to verse 20; the "all things" in heaven and earth were not reconciled by God to Himself until the sacrifice of Jesus.

1 Timothy 1
17Now to the King eternal, immortal, and invisible, the only God, be honor and glory forever and ever. Amen.

I would ask you to be a Berean here. The Bereans were good about searching the Scriptures daily to see if what Paul said was true. (Acts 17:11) Search the Scriptures and see. Where is Jesus the Creator in the Old Testament Scriptures?

I’m including the next verse (6):

6 I manifested Your name to the men whom You have given Me out of the world. They were Yours, You gave them to Me, and they have kept Your word.(logos)
yes and verse 22 Jesus said "the glory which Thou gavest Me I have given them." How could it be anything other than a resurrection?

I believe we just sorted out previous to this that Jesus didn't originate as a human being in heaven, yet he plainly taught he is the Son of Man from heaven and son of man refers to being a human in the Bible. It's also on record that God is not a son of man in Numbers 23:19.

We can rightly conclude that Jesus is referring to being from heaven in the sense that he was sent by God, but not that he pre-existed in heaven as the Son of Man. Notice Jesus was careful to never say he pre-existed as the Son of God. Why? The Son of Man is the Son of God. The way the Son of God descended from heaven is the same way John the Baptist was a man sent by God (John 1:6) and John's water baptism was from heaven (Luke 20:4-8). None of them literally came down from the sky, but were ordained by the authority of God and sent.

Now do you see why there are no examples of an alleged pre-existent Jesus saying or doing anything in the Bible? Nothing in the Old Testament, no clear examples in the New Testament.

Begin with verse 15 that calls Jesus the "image of the invisible God." That means Jesus isn't the invisible God and is therefore not the God. 1 Timothy 1:17 says the only God is invisible, not an image. Someone who isn't God didn't create everything. This may be difficult for you to accept still, but if you will examine Colossians 1:15-20 it's specifically about the church being made "in" or "through" Jesus, not by Jesus as if he's the originator. Pay close attention to verse 20; the "all things" in heaven and earth were not reconciled by God to Himself until the sacrifice of Jesus.

1 Timothy 1
17Now to the King eternal, immortal, and invisible, the only God, be honor and glory forever and ever. Amen.

I would ask you to be a Berean here. The Bereans were good about searching the Scriptures daily to see if what Paul said was true. (Acts 17:11) Search the Scriptures and see. Where is Jesus the Creator in the Old Testament Scriptures?
Jesus didn't separate Himself from Himself that's why He speaks as the Son of Man as that which was from the beginning and came down from Heaven. That life or His life appeared in flesh. He was seen, touched, and heard. The eternal life that was with the Father in the beginning.

"That which was from the beginning"

The Son of Man is who they touched, heard and witnessed with their eyes. Yet He is still the Word of life from the beginning.

That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we have looked at and our hands have touched--this we proclaim concerning the Word of life.
"In the beginning"

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and God was the Word.

"He is before all things"

He is before all things, and in him all things hold together

This testimony along with the testimony that the world was brought in existence through Him is very clear and not ambiguous. Those who accept and believe this testimony certify God is truthful.

"The fullness was pleased to dwell in Him"
For in Him all the fullness of the Deity dwells bodily

"The one from above who Speaks the words of God for God gave the Spirit without limit"

The one who comes from above is above all; the one who is from the earth belongs to the earth, and speaks as one from the earth. The one who comes from heaven is above all. 32He testifies to what he has seen and heard, but no one accepts his testimony. 33Whoever has accepted it has certified that God is truthful. 34For the one whom God has sent speaks the words of God, for God i gives the Spirit without limit. 35The Father loves the Son and has placed everything in his hands. 36Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life, but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God’s wrath remains on them.

He has been given Sovereign Authority.

To the one who is victorious, I will give the right to sit with me on my throne, just as I was victorious and sat down with my Father on his throne.

Jesus didn't separate Himself from Himself that's why He speaks as the Son of Man as that which was from the beginning and came down from Heaven. That life or His life appeared in flesh. He was seen, touched, and heard. The eternal life that was with the Father in the beginning.

"That which was from the beginning"

The Son of Man is who they touched, heard and witnessed with their eyes. Yet He is still the Word of life from the beginning.

That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we have looked at and our hands have touched--this we proclaim concerning the Word of life.
"In the beginning"

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and God was the Word.
1 John 1:1-3 refers to this "Word of life" as a thing. What you said only supports Jesus not having a iteral pre-existence. A person isn't a "that" or a "which".

As far as John 1:1 goes, doesn't that verse refer to the Word as a he? How would you account for the Word being a thing and then a he elsewhere? Why is the word (logos) not a he in 99% of the Bible? One word, personification.
"He is before all things"

He is before all things, and in him all things hold together

This testimony along with the testimony that the world was brought in existence through Him is very clear and not ambiguous. Those who accept and believe this testimony certify God is truthful.
Personification again. Before all things were created there was nothing else aside from God speaking words according to Genesis 1. In Genesis 1, God's words weren't referred to as a person. For your interpretation of John 1 to be about the Word actually being the Creator then the Bible would need to confirm this. What you're saying doesn't exist in Genesis or anywhere else in the Bible. That's personification.

"The fullness was pleased to dwell in Him"
For in Him all the fullness of the Deity dwells bodily
Being filled with the fullness of the deity applies to normal Christians too:

Ephesians 3
19of the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled with all the fullness of God.

"The one from above who Speaks the words of God for God gave the Spirit without limit"

The one who comes from above is above all; the one who is from the earth belongs to the earth, and speaks as one from the earth. The one who comes from heaven is above all. 32He testifies to what he has seen and heard, but no one accepts his testimony. 33Whoever has accepted it has certified that God is truthful. 34For the one whom God has sent speaks the words of God, for God i gives the Spirit without limit. 35The Father loves the Son and has placed everything in his hands. 36Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life, but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God’s wrath remains on them.
Just demonstrates he didn't have the words inherently, but had to get them from God.

He has been given Sovereign Authority.

To the one who is victorious, I will give the right to sit with me on my throne, just as I was victorious and sat down with my Father on his throne.
Jesus isn't the Only Sovereign Lord according to Scripture. The authority comes from the top (the Father,=) and goes downhill to His subordinates. This is also why the Father is called the Lord of heaven and earth in Matthew 11:25 and Jesus is never called that.

1 Timothy 6
14Keep this commandment without stain or reproach until the appearance of our Lord Jesus Christ, 15which the blessed and only Sovereign One—the King of kings and Lord of lords—will bring about in His own time.

1 John 1:1-3 refers to this "Word of life" as a thing. What you said only supports Jesus not having a iteral pre-existence. A person isn't a "that" or a "which".
How many times does the error of your reasoning on this as it relates to 1 John 1:1-3 have to be pointed out before you give up this argument? I've proven that it's based on a fundamental lack of understanding of the Greek.

As far as John 1:1 goes, doesn't that verse refer to the Word as a he? How would you account for the Word being a thing and then a he elsewhere? Why is the word (logos) not a he in 99% of the Bible? One word, personification.
Again, there is absolutely no reason to believe it is personification, especially when in Rev 19:13 Jesus appears with his name, The Word of God, on his thigh.

Personification again. Before all things were created there was nothing else aside from God speaking words according to Genesis 1. In Genesis 1, God's words weren't referred to as a person. For your interpretation of John 1 to be about the Word actually being the Creator then the Bible would need to confirm this. What you're saying doesn't exist in Genesis or anywhere else in the Bible. That's personification.
Again, poor argumentation. That Jesus, or rather the Son and the Word, was involved in the creation of everything that was ever created, is beyond a shadow of a doubt (John 1:1-3, 10; 1 Cor 8:6; Col 1:16-17; Heb 1:2, 10-12). Of course, all the other numerous verses that prove he is God in human flesh also imply the same. There is no support for the Word being personification.

Being filled with the fullness of the deity applies to normal Christians too:

Ephesians 3
19of the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled with all the fullness of God.
Again, phrases that apply to Jesus have a different, more significant meaning than when applied to people. Context actually matters.

Just demonstrates he didn't have the words inherently, but had to get them from God.
Of course. Phil 2:5-8.

Jesus isn't the Only Sovereign Lord according to Scripture. The authority comes from the top (the Father,=) and goes downhill to His subordinates. This is also why the Father is called the Lord of heaven and earth in Matthew 11:25 and Jesus is never called that.

1 Timothy 6
14Keep this commandment without stain or reproach until the appearance of our Lord Jesus Christ, 15which the blessed and only Sovereign One—the King of kings and Lord of lords—will bring about in His own time.
Except that according to your reasoning regarding 1 Cor 8:6, since "one God the Father" precludes Jesus from being God, it necessarily follows that "one Lord, Jesus Christ" precludes the Father from being Lord. You cannot have it both ways.

Rev 17:14 They will make war on the Lamb, and the Lamb will conquer them, for he is Lord of lords and King of kings, and those with him are called and chosen and faithful.” (ESV)

Rev 19:16 On his robe and on his thigh he has a name written, King of kings and Lord of lords. (ESV)

Back