Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Things to Ponder

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Any ideas?

I have gotten a correct response from Deborah13, though she did have a little help coming up with it.

The match.

The answer to the previous little riddle is as follows: you take the saw and cut the block of wood in half, two halves make a hole and crawl out. ;)

If you divide 30 by half and add ten. What do you get?

Order of Operations are very interesting. If we express your question as 30 ÷ ½ + 10, it is different than if we were to express it as 30 / ½ + 10 and still different when expressed 30 / 1 ÷ 2 + 10 or 30 ÷ 1 ÷ 2 + 10 or even 30 / 1 / 2 + 10. We may properly arrive as the same or differing (yet still correct, for instance, the 2nd and the 5th iterations are essentially the same) answers because technically the expressions themselves are different especially as they relate to the order of operations.

The obelus (÷) was first used as a division symbol by Johann Rahn (or Rhonius) (1622-1676) in 1659 in Teutsche Algebra (Cajori vol. 2, page 211).
The symbol (÷) is placed between two quantities written on a single line to indicate the division of the first by the second. The bar within the sign itself carries the same weight in the order of operations as does the parenthesis.
The vinculum ( / ) or horizontal indicator of division (but not when used as part of an integral fraction) is mentioned in 1882 in Complete Graded Arithmetic by James B. Thomson.

One demands that the operation be treated on the same level as all Multiplication and Division (from left to right) and the other contains un-expressed but implicit parenthesis.

sparrah's thimking . o O (I larned me tha' one hare on dis sight whale resmearching a classic by Classik.)
. o O (I hope I said that well enuf, getting tired now. G'night brothers & sisters. G'night Joe-Bob, g'night Mary-Ellen)

Nope, I must retract.

The slanted line in 1/2 is called a virgule or solidus.

This is different than:

__

2​

This thing that I've centered above does not have a name but might be called "a close parenthesis attached to a vinculum"! See Jeff Miller's "Earliest Uses of Symbols of Operation":
:grumpy Sheesh... I'd call it a fraction but, well... there is a difference and I read it as spoken by a now unknown professor who also included his credentials (quite impressive unlike me).

Last edited by a moderator:
Any other details you are willing to share about the island, [MENTION=90700]Edward[/MENTION]?

Is there a stream running through the island, are there any shelters, what does he have with him?

A man crashes in his helicopter on a deserted island The helicopter is useless, he has high cliffs all around so he can't jump into the sea without dying. Lightning strikes the west side of the island and starts a forest fire. The island is covered in forest. The wind blows from the west spreading the fire. The fire is devouring everything in it's path. How does he survive?

She could light a fire on the eastern end of the island (the wind would drive the fire off the cliffs quickly and leave a burnt spot that wouldn't have anything left to nourish the big forest fire anymore, so the forest fire would stop there. I think in older days that was one way how fire fighters used to stop bush fires from spreading to settlements or fields, that's why I'm guessing you could stop an island fire that way.) and then hide there and wait til it's over. She can also hope someone's seen the fire and coming to rescue her. Else she'll have to eat burnt forest animals for a whole while.

[MENTION=90700]Edward[/MENTION], it was only mock anger. I do not upset that easily.

As to the answer to your question, I really haven't had time to consider it, but at first blush I would guess that the assistant would end up owing you money, based on the parameters at play.

Hardware store is significant.

I've heard this before and so disqualify myself from answering. Oh and as for me? No worries about "making me look" one way or another. I do a fine job all by myself in the 'ridiculous' area and don't mind help. In fact, it is welcomed.

She could light a fire on the eastern end of the island (the wind would drive the fire off the cliffs quickly and leave a burnt spot that wouldn't have anything left to nourish the big forest fire anymore, so the forest fire would stop there. I think in older days that was one way how fire fighters used to stop bush fires from spreading to settlements or fields, that's why I'm guessing you could stop an island fire that way.) and then hide there and wait til it's over. She can also hope someone's seen the fire and coming to rescue her. Else she'll have to eat burnt forest animals for a whole while.

Well, it's not a she, but I will accept that as a correct answer. Take a burning stick and start a fire line (pretty sure that's what they call them) and the fire will stop while he is safely on the burnt spot. Dang. Claudya again! Must you be so smart girl?! (Well done).

I have to come up with one that will stump Claudya. :chin

This one is probably too easy but might just stump a girl for one reason or another.

I asked the assistant in the hardware store, "How much will one cost?" "Twenty cents" she replied. "And how much will twelve cost?" I asked. "Forty cents." she replied. "OK, I'll take one hundred and twelve." How much did I pay?

Oh I didn't see that one before. *rubs hands*
Is a hardware store a store that sells computer stuff, or a store that sells building and repair supplies, like nails, hammers, locks, and so on?

Ok Caudya I have another one for you. (This one is sure to stump her) :toofunny

"What have I got in me pocket?"

(Hint: how many books have you read? LOL)

I'm gonna die if she gets this right! LOL!

How many books have I read... many?
Hm isn't that a quote from the Hobbit?

Edit: I didn't read Sparrowhawk's post before posting this.

Ring-a-ring o' roses,
A pocket full of posies,
A-tishoo! A-tishoo!
We all fall down.

Was it a rose? No
Was it a pocket full of posies? No.
A 'tishoo' then? No.
What could it be?

T'was a ring.

The One Ring said:
Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.​

There was some Hobbit lint there too, but that's not what you were looking for.
I also heard that he had computer schematics for a Tolkien-Ring network too?

I know nothing about the Tolkien network though.

It's a play on words for the computer geek. Token-Ring networks are an IBM scheme whereas Ethernet bases networks are the more popular. I like the concept of the JRR Tolkien-Ring as a network method. The IBM method involves passing a 'token' much like we see when we watch foot races that use a baton. Ethernet would involve a concept of "shouting down a hallway" and "collision". The Tolkien-Ring method would involve heroic action and effort made by tiny ones who oppose world domination. Kind'of like Tron.

Here's the current "stumper" - which I have heard and will not resolve:

I asked the assistant in the hardware store, "How much will one cost?" "Twenty cents" she replied. "And how much will twelve cost?" I asked. "Forty cents." she replied. "OK, I'll take one hundred and twelve." How much did I pay?

Back