Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Things to Ponder

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Edward said:
I asked the assistant in the hardware store, "How much will one cost?" "Twenty cents" she replied. "And how much will twelve cost?" I asked. "Forty cents." she replied. "OK, I'll take one hundred and twelve." How much did I pay?

So I'Ve been thinking about what kind of stuff hardware stores sell.... maybe the 12 is only twice as expensive because it has two times as many digits, maybe it's some numeral bumper sticker for your car or a house number/ room number sign or so. Hardware stores sell house number signs, do they? So 100 and 12 would be one three digit number and one two digit nummber, so 60 for the 1-0-0 and 40 for the 1-2? So you pay 1€?

Edward said:
I asked the assistant in the hardware store, "How much will one cost?" "Twenty cents" she replied. "And how much will twelve cost?" I asked. "Forty cents." she replied. "OK, I'll take one hundred and twelve." How much did I pay?

So I'Ve been thinking about what kind of stuff hardware stores sell.... maybe the 12 is only twice as expensive because it has two times as many digits, maybe it's some numeral bumper sticker for your car or a house number/ room number sign or so. Hardware stores sell house number signs, do they? So 100 and 12 would be one three digit number and one two digit nummber, so 60 for the 1-0-0 and 40 for the 1-2? So you pay 1€?

Edward are you being overly picky here? Or did I miss something? Shall I explain what I think it means because to me, her thought is 'close enough' to be counted as right. Seeking your permission before I speak because I think I know (and would like your confirmation) but will abide in my statement that I will not reply if I do not have permission to retract my promise first.

Dis dat even makes a sensible? Awk! Yikes, words, don't 'cha love 'em? Babel on, birdie, babble on, right?

"Sparrow said:
Sure, go ahead Sparrow.

The overly precise and technical answer to your question/riddle/'thing to ponder':
Edward said:

...Answer to your question/riddle/'thing to ponder' is: that we do not know and may not say because there is insufficient information given to be able to give an accurate reply. If, for instance, the question/riddle/'thing to ponder' had been worded to include location such as my fair city of Bellingham, WA, USA the answer would include 8.7 % sales tax and thus be: 65¢

If an alternate location (one that didn't have local state, city, county or other sales tax, or sur-charge, or delivery charge etc.) were given, and if the location was still in the United States, the amount 'you' paid would be a flat 60¢ or in US dollars: $0.60.

The price for a single SKU item for a #1 would be 20¢ (pre-tax). If there were two (2) SKU's rung up (to purchase the numerals needed to indicate the number 12 in standard manner), the total amount (pre-tax) would be 40¢ and for the three SKU's needed to form the number 112, there would be paid 60¢. This assumes that you are a law abiding citizen and did no slight-of-hand to defraud the clerk or the owner of the hardware store.

ANSWER: 60¢

http://www.cob.org/documents/finance/publications/sales-tax-distribution.pdf

The Fine Print:
Yet another answer (altogether correct as well) might be given from the perspective on an Economist instead of an Accountant (who examines transaction costs based on receipts alone). The Economist who specialized in Micro Economy might wish to consider and include the opportunity cost. Such things as what 'you' could have done instead of purchasing things at the hardware store. For instance, what if you had experienced recent car troubles? Would it be correct to include the cost of not performing needed car repair(s) that need-be rightly included in the 'total cost' of the numeric placards? What about the extra cost of neglect and subsequent damage to your vehicle and the cost of a taxi or bus or the cost of the shoe leather used and worn out partially if you avoided the more conventional means of transportation? What about the cost to your lifespan for the worry that these troubling thoughts may have contributed to shortening your life expectancy or the cost for the massage that you bought afterwards in your effort to turn debilitating stressors into facilitation? Is there an associated cost to your deep breathing exercise while even reading such things? What about the corresponding benefit(s)? Or the cost to others who may or may not respond to such things. Would it be correct to assign a portion (a very small portion) of my 'opportunity cost' to you? Could we devise an 'economy of scale' that factors such things in? We could! But such things are too much for this little bird to calculate hence the answer again = 6/100ths of a sawbuck (or 1,000 x .06 = 60) or sixty cents. Of course this answer does not include the cost of going to the hardware store, the associated costs of transportation and necessary calculations to compute the insurance, gasoline use (or mileage factors, federal or otherwise, approved by the IRS or not) and/or other factors. It also does not consider the possibility that you purchased under the auspices of another agency, such as an employer where you may have included portions of the cost (or the total amount thereof) on an expense report to be included in an expense account (nor the delay this would introduce and the cost of the use of your money, or if you paid by credit card or not) for partial and/or total reimbursement. Said Economist may also wish to offset the cost by considering your support of the hardware store owner and their effort to reduce unemployment by hiring and paying the salary and associated taxes for their employee. But with that thought, we now cross from Micro to Macro Economics and yet another segue (sequel and subsequent) boundary that would not likely profit us much but could be 'fun'. Nor does the Micro Economist's thought include the cost of an aspirin needed after having read my detailed but only partial considerations contained herein. Whew!

PS. The Term "SKU" is yet another technical term meaning, "Store Keeping Unit," or "Store Keeper's Unit," and is widely used in the Retail Industry.

Last edited by a moderator:

$3.73 pre/tax ?

I could ask what am I holding in my hand at this moment, but what fun would that be?

♫♫ He's got the whole world in His hand, He's got the whole wide world in His hands... He's got you and me baby, in His hands He's got the whole world in His hands. ♫♫

And by extension, brother:

♫♫ We've got the whole world in our prayers, we've got the whole wide world, in our prayers... we've got you and me, baby... in our prayers we've got the whole world in our hands. ♫♫

Remember when, as an infant you looked at your hands? It was a moment of 'otherness' a moment of 'strange' and 'ponder this!' If you do not, there is One who does. During that moment when the idea and the question occurred to you another, perhaps better expressed concept and idea, joined yours.

:chin
Psalm 8:4 what is mankind that you are mindful of them, human ...
What are mere mortals that you should think about them, human beings that... -or- what is man that you are mindful of him, and the son of man that you care for him?

Other thoughts were joined there too: Job 7:17 "What is mankind that you make so much of them, that you give them so much attention,
And thoughts that did not even take place yet may be joined to the infant's contemplation of their "actions" as seen in their study of the "hand" and what it may contain:
Isaiah 2:22 Stop trusting in mere humans, who have but a breath in their nostrils. Why hold them in esteem?

Many things thought and yet unexpressed there and then.

As you grew and were frustrated because you were tall enough to see what was on the table spread before you, but not tall enough to reach it all... even more thoughts were joined there.
You and I were just about there, almost within reach and what else? Our conversational skills had not been sharpened sufficiently so that we might be able to speak about the frustration and shortness of our stature. Perhaps we could only thud ourselves down and cry.

:thud:

And yet, the Lord is Good and patient and understands where each of us are in our walk with Him. He knows our frustrations and our fears and yes, our Joys and our Heavenly Father does have these thoughts, similar to those thoughts that you had as a father to your children as you watched entranced by their initial study of hands...

♫ "We've got you and me, baby... in our hands..." And I praise God for you.

I doubt if I could come up with one that Sparrow couldn't answer.

Of these three States, which one is considered easternmost? (Think real hard now) Alaska, Washington, Oregon.

I'm glad that Deborah13 answered for us there. (Notice how I slipped that 'us' into it?) My only correct answer is "Duh, I dunno, you've stumped me on that one." I'm still trying to imagine maps of the states and trace the route of the Columbia River and the eastern boundaries of Washington and Oregon where the "R" in Washington is silent and the "Gun" in Oregon is pronounced (except on the East Coast of the US where they say 'Waar-shing-ton' and 'Or-E-gone'). And I can't even place the Easternmost boundaries of the great state of Alaska. My first thought went to "Hawaii" because my silly mind read "westernmost" when my eye saw "easternmost". Sheesh.

Ok Caudya I have another one for you. (This one is sure to stump her) :toofunny

"What have I got in me pocket?"

(Hint: how many books have you read? LOL)

I'm gonna die if she gets this right! LOL!

Claudya:

You're very well read!

Anyway, as far as reading is concerned, there are:

i) books

ii) The Book, the central theme of which is the Word Himself

Some more geography perhaps? Let's leave the United states for this one, shall we? Which of the following countries is largest in land area? Switzerland, Denmark, Holland (aka The Netherlands)?

With a stab in the dark I am going to guess Denmark.

Greenland belongs to the kingdom of Denmark, doesn't is?

Exactly.

Of course, geographically Greenland sometimes counts as part of North America. (Also, since some of the former Netherlands Antilles have been incorporated directly into The Kingdom of The Netherlands, people now speak of the Continental Netherlands when referring exclusively to European Dutch geography.)

So it all depends what one is referring to, really.

Denmark is indeed the correct answer, and because of Greenland. Good catch! Can't get nothing past you guys (and gals!)...

About how many people speak Chinese as their native language?
Over 1 Billion?
Between 500 Million and 1 Billion?
Less that 500 Million?

Answer: Over 1 billion.

But a further question: can this one billion necessarily understand each other? Answer, no, because some of the Chinese dialects are widely divergent...

(To paraphrase former Vice President Spiro Agnew 'Things are more complicated today than they have ever been before'...) :)

Answer: Over 1 billion.

But a further question: can this one billion necessarily understand each other? Answer, no, because some of the Chinese dialects are widely divergent...

(To paraphrase former Vice President Spiro Agnew 'Things are more complicated today than they have ever been before'...)

Over 1 billion is not the correct answer! (you would think so huh?) but it is not so. Regional dialects and such are not to be taken into account here for this question because it would probably make it unanswerable.

Of course, linguists and quizmasters might have different answers to the questions: when is a dialect not a dialect? and when is a language not a language? People have been talking about this for centuries and no one has yet come up with a conclusive answer, at least, linguistically speaking! :)

Blessings.

So, um, why DID God create women?

I read an interesting take on that question a while ago. I think it's some kabbalah idea.

According to that idea God did not "create the woman" when he put Adam to sleep to cut out his rib, but rather seperated both sexes/ genders through that divine surgery. So Adam was originally not a male, but a "both-genders" creation, a hermaphrodite or androgynic being. S/he included all of humankind, male and female, in one being: Adam. Only after God sedated him/her and extracted the female aspect, contained in a rib, from him and created a seperate being as an opposite, partner and helper, only then Adam became an actual male.

So if you think of it that way the question why woman was made is just an invalid question. She was made when man was made, they started being united in one, but they were seperated when God decreed that the human shouldn't be a single, but a gender dimorphic being so Adam wouldn't be alone.

I'm not promoting that idea as biblical doctrine. But I like that idea because it rebuts the thought that humankind is somehow "male by default", and females were only an addition or a special form. The "male by default" concept is one of the reasons sexism persists, and thus I personally like that teaching about Adam being both female and male at first, because that way female is just as "default" as male is.

Here is something to ponder:

If the Death Star could blow away entire planets, as Darth Vader demonstrated on Princess Leia's homeworld, why didn't it just blow away that planet in front of the rebel base moon instead of waiting 30 minutes for the moon to be in line of sight?

If the Death Star could blow away entire planets, as Darth Vader demonstrated on Princess Leia's homeworld, why didn't it just blow away that planet in front of the rebel base moon instead of waiting 30 minutes for the moon to be in line of sight?

Did you see how long it took to shoot it even once? In Return of the Jedi the Death Star, which was more than twice the size of the original, took at least 5 to 10 minutes to be able to fire again. They wanted to take it out in one shot. Plus it added to the suspense.

Didn't the laser have to charge for several hours before it was powerful enough to take out a planet?
I haven't watched that movie in a couple years, so I could be wrong.

F7r1y.jpg

Hm did they actually mention the recharge time in the movie or is that a fan made explanation? Because I can't remember.
It always looked like a plot whole to me.

And why didn't the Empire guys drop the Death Star out of hyperspace right next to the moon?

F7r1y.jpg

Hm did they actually mention the recharge time in the movie or is that a fan made explanation? Because I can't remember.
It always looked like a plot whole to me.

And why didn't the Empire guys drop the Death Star out of hyperspace right next to the moon?
Iunno. xD I'd have to start spending time on the Star Wars forum or Wookieepedia again to see all the fan explanations.

Back