Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

Three person God identified in the Bible?

Where is the three person God identified in the Bible?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
It is clear to me that people who are unable to understand a triune God need to search the Scriptures and their own veiled minds. It is abundantly clear to all who have sought the truth.

Don't forget, Jesus is both man in the flesh, and God in the Spirit.
He is God in human flesh, if that's what you mean.

When Jesus speaks of the Father he is talking about the immaculate conception.
I don't understand what you're saying here. The Father and the Son have been distinct persons from before creation, from eternity past.

Scripture declares just the opposite of what you claim.

For there are three that bear witness in heaven: the Father, the Word, and the Holy Spirit; and these three are one. 1 John 5:7

• and these three are one.

If this scripture said this one is three, then you would be correct.

But since it plainly says these three are one, then you are in error.

The three persons of the Godhead are one.

JLB
We are three. We are body, soul and spirit, but are One person, the same as Jesus in whose image we are. The difference is that unlike Jesus we are not born of the Holy Spirit. "The Father is in me" Jesus said. I have a human father and unlike Jesus, my father is not deity. Jesus said it is not me who does these things, but the Father in me.

Last edited:
We are three. We are body, soul and spirit, but are One person, the same as Jesus in whose image we are. The difference is that unlike Jesus we are not born of the Holy Spirit. "The Father is in me" Jesus said. I have a human father. Jesus said it is not me who does these things, but the Father in me.
Ontologically God is three persons, which means there never has been a time when he was not three persons.

He is God in human flesh, if that's what you mean.

I don't understand what you're saying here. The Father and the Son have been distinct persons from before creation, from eternity past.
Jesus is the Word who created the heavens and the earth. Two thousand plus years ago he humbled himself and came among us in the likeness and image of man. If we had Xray eyes we would see the spirit of the Father (the Word) in Jesus. Jesus is the Word from the beginning. He is the invisible, "God with us" made visible.

Last edited:
Jesus is the Word who created the heavens and the earth. Two thousand plus years ago he humbled himself and came among us in the likeness and image of man. If we had Xray eyes we would see the spirit of Father (the Word) in Jesus, who is "God with us."
If "Jesus is the Word" then the Word is not "the spirit of Father." The Word is the pre-incarnate Son of God, yes, but he is not "the spirit of Father." The Holy Spirit is eternally distinct from the Father and the Son, just as the Son is from the Father. Jesus is "God with us" because he is the incarnate Word.

If "Jesus is the Word" then the Word is not "the spirit of Father." The Word is the pre-incarnate Son of God, yes, but he is not "the spirit of Father." The Holy Spirit is eternally distinct from the Father and the Son, just as the Son is from the Father. Jesus is "God with us" because he is the incarnate Word.
God is One. God cannot be divided.

Yes, there is one true God. That is repeatedly affirmed throughout Scripture.
And the invisible one true God came among us in the image of man.

So we have (1) the Word who is invisible, (2) Jesus, the Word, made visible in the image of man, and (3) the Holy Spirit, who is also invisible.

Last edited:
Read my post again. I said three persons.
You also stated previously: "We are three. We are body, soul and spirit, but are One person, the same as Jesus in whose image we are."

Also, when I said, "Ontologically God is three persons, which means there never has been a time when he was not three persons," you replied with, "And those three persons are ONE, the soul and the spirit being invisible."

In other words, every time I have mentioned that God is three persons, you reply with saying that they are all one. If you really believe that they are three co-eternal, coequal persons, within the one Being that is God, then I don't understand why you are responding the way you are. It would mean that we are in agreement, yet you seem to be trying to rebut what I'm saying.

And the invisible one true God came among us in the image of man.

So we have the one omnipresent, invisible God, the Word, made visible in the image of man, and the Holy Spirit, who is also invisible, makes three.
The one true God has always existed as three co-eternal, coequal persons--the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. If you agree with that, then we are saying the same thing.

You also stated previously: "We are three. We are body, soul and spirit, but are One person, the same as Jesus in whose image we are."

Also, when I said, "Ontologically God is three persons, which means there never has been a time when he was not three persons," you replied with, "And those three persons are ONE, the soul and the spirit being invisible."

In other words, every time I have mentioned that God is three persons, you reply with saying that they are all one. If you really believe that they are three co-eternal, coequal persons, within the one Being that is God, then I don't understand why you are responding the way you are. It would mean that we are in agreement, yet you seem to be trying to rebut what I'm saying.

The one true God has always existed as three co-eternal, coequal persons--the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. If you agree with that, then we are saying the same thing.
It is difficult to express. Let me try again.

I am one person comprising body, soul, and spirit the same as God, but I am human

Likewise for Jesus, who although he has the flesh of Mary, has the soul and spirit of the omnipresent God, making him "God with us."

If someone tried to divide me, being one person, I would be dead. Neither can God be divided.

Are we in agreement so far?

Last edited:
It is difficult to express. Let me try again.

I am one person comprising body, soul, and spirit the same as God, but I am human

Likewise for Jesus, who although he has the flash of Mary, has the soul and spirit of the omnipresent God, making him "God with us."

If someone tried to divide me, I would be dead.

Are we in agreement so far?
As soon as you mention that you are "one person comprising body, soul, and spirit, the same as God," it implies that God is one person. When I mention God as he is ontologically, that means God as he actually is, that is, prior to the incarnation. He has always existed as three coequal, co-eternal persons.

When you say that "If someone tried to divide me, I would be dead," that implies that each person of the Trinity comprises some part of God, that together, all three make complete the one God. However, each person is truly and fully God, of one indivisible essence or nature, but distinct one from the other. It isn't all three that make up the one God.

How is that?

As soon as you mention that you are "one person comprising body, soul, and spirit, the same as God," it implies that God is one person. When I mention God as he is ontologically, that means God as he actually is, that is, prior to the incarnation. He has always existed as three coequal, co-eternal persons.

When you say that "If someone tried to divide me, I would be dead," that implies that each person of the Trinity comprises some part of God, that together, all three make complete the one God. However, each person is truly and fully God, of one indivisible essence or nature, but distinct one from the other. It isn't all three that make up the one God.

How is that?
There was only the Word, and the Word was God, and the Word became flesh.

Anything else are God's attributes.

Last edited:

You don’t have that exactly right.
Unchecked Copy Box
Jhn 1:1 - In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
Unchecked Copy Box
Jhn 1:2 - The same was in the beginning with God

So you do believe God is only one person ontologically, which is not the Trinity. Your position is akin to Modalism. You have also left out a significant part of John 1:1:

Joh 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
Joh 1:2 He was in the beginning with God. (ESV)

It would be nonsense to say that there was only the Word and the Word was with himself. As I have stated at least twice in this thread, which every anti-trinitarian avoided answering, is that "with" (pros in Greek) denotes "direction toward," as in intimacy and relationship. And that is the only thing that makes sense. A person is with another person; we never say a person is with themself.

This also leads to other nonsense, such as that as I have pointed out already--that a son is never his own father nor a father his own son.

What do you mean by "anything else are God's attributes"? This is probably the most important topic there is--if we get God wrong, a whole lot else goes wrong, such as worshiping a false god--so we need to be as clear and specific as we can.

So you do believe God is only one person ontologically, which is not the Trinity. Your position is akin to Modalism. You have also left out a significant part of John 1:1:

Joh 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
Joh 1:2 He was in the beginning with God. (ESV)

It would be nonsense to say that there was only the Word and the Word was with himself. As I have stated at least twice in this thread, which every anti-trinitarian avoided answering, is that "with" (pros in Greek) denotes "direction toward," as in intimacy and relationship. And that is the only thing that makes sense. A person is with another person; we never say a person is with themself.

This also leads to other nonsense, such as that as I have pointed out already--that a son is never his own father nor a father his own son.

What do you mean by "anything else are God's attributes"? This is probably the most important topic there is--if we get God wrong, a whole lot else goes wrong, such as worshiping a false god--so we need to be as clear and specific as we can.
Regarding John 1:2 Albert Barnes says:

The same - The Word, or the λόγος Logos.
Was in the beginning with God - This is a repetition of what was said in the first verse; but it is stated over again to “guard the doctrine,” and to prevent the possibility of a mistake.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Some of God's attributes
God Is Infinite – He is Self-Existing, Without Origin. "And he is before all things, …
God Is Immutable – He Never Changes. “I the Lord do not change. So you, the …
God Is Self-Sufficient – He Has No Needs. “For as the Father has life in …
God is Omnipotent – He Is All Powerful. “By the word of the LORD the heavens …
See full list on biblestudytools.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back