Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

Three person God identified in the Bible?

Where is the three person God identified in the Bible?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to run this past you if I may, and it is about Deuteronomy 6:4.

We know there is one God, and we know God came among us in the image and likeness of man, as promised in Isaiah and fulfilled in the Gospels.
Deut 6:4 states that there is only one God, which is a statement of monotheism only. It says nothing of the ontological composition of God, although it actually leaves the door open for God to be triune.

What troubles me is when people make a hierarchy by saying the Son is not the Father, and the Son is not the Holy Spirit, etc, and really Jesus is no different from any prophet.
Why does it bother you when the Bible clearly keeps the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit distinct one from the other, and that from eternity past? Also, again, is a father ever his own son or a son ever his own father?

We know God humbled himself for a season, and those 33 years were but a blink of an eye to God. But to demote Jesus to the level of man is to do the creator a terrible disservice.
No one has demoted Jesus to only the level of a man. That is only Arianism, not Trinitarianism, which clearly teaches that Jesus is both God and man.

At the same time, it provides the cults with the ammunition they need to deny Jesus, and furthermore to claim that Christians worship three gods.
Yes, people continually misunderstand what the doctrine of the Trinity states; it is not polytheism.

The denial of Jesus is seen everywhere across the forums.
These forums? How is Jesus being denied?

The opposer must love it, but we assist them in their efforts to reduce Jesus to our level by stating that Jesus is not the Father, and is not the Holy Spirit. So, who is Jesus if he is not the Father and is not the Holy Spirit?
He is the Son, the Son of God and God the Son, who has existed for eternity past being coequal and co-eternal with the Father and the Holy Spirit. That is what Scripture ultimately reveals.

The kindest answer I have seen over the years is that Jesus is the sacrificial lamb. So, my question is this, do you think that to divide the One God into three parts is the right thing to do?
This is to create a straw man of the doctrine of the Trinity, or at least to show that one does not understand it. God is never divided into three parts. He is of one indivisible substance, so that each of the three persons are fully and truly God. It is not to be understood that all three are needed together to make up the one God; he is not tripartite.

Oh!

Do the Scriptures plainly teach that God is three persons now?

Do tell.

Please present that plain teaching for all of us who have been mislead. That will clear things up quickly and put this 2,000 year old debate to rest right now.

The scriptures plainly teach these three are one.

The scriptures do not teach, this one is three.

For there are three that bear witness in heaven: the Father, the Word, and the Holy Spirit; and these three are one. 1 John 5:7

• and these three are one.

If this scripture said this one is three, then you would be correct.

“Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, (Elohim; three) the LORD is one!
Deuteronomy 6:4

God = Strong's H430 - 'ĕlōhîm
E7B01616-98AE-4BCA-BBEF-C9346049522D.jpeg

As we see Elohim is plural.

JLB

Please speak for yourself, because I am born of the Holy Spirit.

That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. John 3:6

The wind blows where it wishes, and you hear the sound of it, but cannot tell where it comes from and where it goes. So is everyone who is born of the Spirit.” John 3:8

If you are not born of the Spirit then you are not saved.

JLB
What is this about? I had a human father.

Again, you will need to address the scripture I quoted, if you want your perspective to be considered valid.

For there are three that bear witness in heaven: the Father, the Word, and the Holy Spirit; and these three are one. 1 John 5:7

But since it plainly says these three are one, then you are in error.

The three persons of the Godhead are one.

JLB
As you correctly say, according to scripture, these three are One, so why does the trinitrian diagram say the Father is NOT the Son, the Holy Spirit is NOT THE Father ETC?

As you correctly say, according to scripture, these three are One, so why does the trinitrian diagram say the Father is NOT the Son, the Holy Spirit is NOT THE Father ETC?
Three persons, one God; three persons, one essence. That is what the doctrine of the Trinity states.

It’s called being born again, born of the Spirit.

JLB
I was comparing our birth with the birth of Jesus. I have a human Father, while Jesus was born of the Holy Spirit.

I feel quite incensed you spoke to me in that way, and then you accuse me of not being a Christian. Goodness gracious me!

Deut 6:4 states that there is only one God, which is a statement of monotheism only. It says nothing of the ontological composition of God, although it actually leaves the door open for God to be triune.

Why does it bother you when the Bible clearly keeps the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit distinct one from the other, and that from eternity past? Also, again, is a father ever his own son or a son ever his own father?

No one has demoted Jesus to only the level of a man. That is only Arianism, not Trinitarianism, which clearly teaches that Jesus is both God and man.

Yes, people continually misunderstand what the doctrine of the Trinity states; it is not polytheism.

These forums? How is Jesus being denied?

He is the Son, the Son of God and God the Son, who has existed for eternity past being coequal and co-eternal with the Father and the Holy Spirit. That is what Scripture ultimately reveals.

This is to create a straw man of the doctrine of the Trinity, or at least to show that one does not understand it. God is never divided into three parts. He is of one indivisible substance, so that each of the three persons are fully and truly God. It is not to be understood that all three are needed together to make up the one God; he is not tripartite.
Jesus is the Word, who created heaven and earth. He is the Son of Mary. Jesus existed from before the foundation of the earth, the self existent one.

Jesus is the Word, who created heaven and earth. He is the Son of Mary. Jesus existed from before the foundation of the earth, the self existent one.

Yes, all that is true, but he is also distinct from the Father and the Holy Spirit, who were also involved in creation and are self-existent; all three being of the one indivisible essence that is God. Three persons, one God.

I don’t know anything about a “Trinitarian diagram”.

I don’t use the word Trinity. I use the word Godhead.

The scripture says these three are one, not this one is three.

That’s Modalism.

If the scripture said this one is three, then that would make your theory correct.

Do you understand that the Son and is God, and is YHWH the Lord God?

The Son created the heavens and the earth.

But to the Son He says:
“Your throne, O God, is forever and ever;
A scepter of righteousness is the scepter of Your kingdom.
You have loved righteousness and hated lawlessness;
Therefore God, Your God, has anointed You
With the oil of gladness more than Your companions.”
And:
You, LORD, in the beginning laid the foundation of the earth,
And the heavens are the work of Your hands.

Hebrews 1:-10

Jesus is the only begotten Son of God.

Here He is in the Old Testament.

Now Moses was tending the flock of Jethro his father-in-law, the priest of Midian. And he led the flock to the back of the desert, and came to Horeb, the mountain of God. And the Angel of the LORD appeared to him in a flame of fire from the midst of a bush. So he looked, and behold, the bush was burning with fire, but the bush was not consumed. Then Moses said, “I will now turn aside and see this great sight, why the bush does not burn.”
So when the LORD saw that he turned aside to look, God called to him from the midst of the bush and said, “Moses, Moses!”
And he said, “Here I am.”
Then He said, “Do not draw near this place. Take your sandals off your feet, for the place where you stand is holy ground.” Moreover He said, “I am the God of your father—the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob.” And Moses hid his face, for he was afraid to look upon God. Exodus 3:1-6

JLB

I was comparing our birth with the birth of Jesus. I have a human Father, while Jesus was born of the Holy Spirit.

The Man Jesus Christ was born of a virgin.

The Son of God was begotten of the Father, before the foundation of the world.

The Word (the Son), God was made flesh, not the Father.

JLB

I know what the misunderstanding is. People are going back to the birth of Jesus, but if we go back to the beginning, we read that God's spirit covered the waters, and we know who the Word is, don't we.

Last edited:
The scriptures plainly teach these three are one.

The scriptures do not teach, this one is three.

“Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, (Elohim; three) the LORD is one!
Deuteronomy 6:4

God = Strong's H430 - 'ĕlōhîm
E7B01616-98AE-4BCA-BBEF-C9346049522D.jpeg

As we see Elohim is plural.
Take your time. I'll keep checking back.

Let us know when you find that Scripture that teaches that God is three persons.

There are millions standing by waiting for that one.

I don’t know anything about a “Trinitarian diagram”.

I don’t use the word Trinity. I use the word Godhead.

The scripture says these three are one, not this one is three.

That’s Modalism.

If the scripture said this one is three, then that would make your theory correct.

Do you understand that the Son and is God, and is YHWH the Lord God?

The Son created the heavens and the earth.

But to the Son He says:
“Your throne, O God, is forever and ever;
A scepter of righteousness is the scepter of Your kingdom.
You have loved righteousness and hated lawlessness;
Therefore God, Your God, has anointed You
With the oil of gladness more than Your companions.”
And:
You, LORD, in the beginning laid the foundation of the earth,
And the heavens are the work of Your hands.

Hebrews 1:-10

Jesus is the only begotten Son of God.

Here He is in the Old Testament.

Now Moses was tending the flock of Jethro his father-in-law, the priest of Midian. And he led the flock to the back of the desert, and came to Horeb, the mountain of God. And the Angel of the LORD appeared to him in a flame of fire from the midst of a bush. So he looked, and behold, the bush was burning with fire, but the bush was not consumed. Then Moses said, “I will now turn aside and see this great sight, why the bush does not burn.”
So when the LORD saw that he turned aside to look, God called to him from the midst of the bush and said, “Moses, Moses!”
And he said, “Here I am.”
Then He said, “Do not draw near this place. Take your sandals off your feet, for the place where you stand is holy ground.” Moreover He said, “I am the God of your father—the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob.” And Moses hid his face, for he was afraid to look upon God. Exodus 3:1-6

JLB
You accuse me of things I am not, probably because I am discussing from other people's point of view, and you think that is my position. It is not. My position is also with the Godhead that appears, I think four times in scripture. The word trinity, not at all.

You accuse me of things I am not, probably because I am discussing from other people's point of view, and you think that is my position. It is not. My position is also with the Godhead that appears, I think four times in scripture. The word trinity, not at all.
Actually, Godhead is only truly in Scripture once and it refers to Jesus' Father being the head of Jesus, just as Jesus is the head of the man and the man is head of the woman.

The other two uses of Godhead in modern Bibles is faulty. The original wording there was divine nature. Nothing whatsoever to do with a trinity at all.

Take your time. I'll keep checking back.

Let us know when you find that Scripture that teaches that God is three persons.

There are millions standing by waiting for that one.

I have posted scripture. If you deny what the scripture says that these three are one, then that is on you.

Do you agree that these three; the Father, the Word, and the Holy Spirit are one?

JLB

I accused you of nothing.

I simply stated that this one is three, is the doctrine of Modalism.

JLB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back