Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

Three person God identified in the Bible?

Where is the three person God identified in the Bible?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pure speculation, but ....
The Old Testament doesn't, hmmm ... shall we say doesn't HIGHLIGHT the idea of the Trinity. It seems that the New Testament gave cause to seek the few spots in the Old Testament that alludes to the Trinity. So, getting to the wild speculation, is it not possible that there are more than 3 'persons' making up the God-head? (not that I have any proof but neither is there proof that this speculation is false to my knowledge.)

... thought I'd put that out there 'cause jaybo wants to get to 20,000 posts on this thread :eek2

Let's look at that

Your father Abraham rejoiced to see My day, and he saw it and was glad.” Then the Jews said to Him, “You are not yet fifty years old, and have You seen Abraham?” Jesus said to them, “Most assuredly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I AM.” Then they took up stones to throw at Him; but Jesus hid Himself and went out of the temple, going through the midst of them, and so passed by.
John 8:56-59

Jesus said He is I AM.

The Jews picked up stones to stone Him to death for blasphemy.

Now Moses was tending the flock of Jethro his father-in-law, the priest of Midian. And he led the flock to the back of the desert, and came to Horeb, the mountain of God. And the Angel of the LORD appeared to him in a flame of fire from the midst of a bush. So he looked, and behold, the bush was burning with fire, but the bush was not consumed. Then Moses said, “I will now turn aside and see this great sight, why the bush does not burn.” So when the LORD saw that he turned aside to look, God called to him from the midst of the bush and said, “Moses, Moses!” And he said, “Here I am.” Then He said, “Do not draw near this place. Take your sandals off your feet, for the place where you stand is holy ground.” Moreover He said, “I am the God of your father—the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob.” And Moses hid his face, for he was afraid to look upon God.

And God said to Moses, “I AM WHO I AM.” And He said, “Thus you shall say to the children of Israel, I AM has sent me to you.’ Exodus 3:1-6,14

The Angel of the Lord, is the LORD, and God as well as the great I AM.

Do you believe the Angel of the Lord is the Father or the Son?

JLB
Yes,Jesus said He saw Abraham
“You are not yet fifty years old,” they said to him, “and you have seen Abraham
Jesus's response to their sarcasm/unbelief
Gods firstborn is a being not a people and such a being makes such statements
“Very truly I tell you,” Jesus answered, “before Abraham was born, I am!”

As opposed to a name asked
Moses said to God, "Suppose I go to the Israelites and say to them, `The God of your fathers has sent me to you,' and they ask me, `What is his name?' Then what shall I tell them?" God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM. This is what you are to say to the Israelites: `I AM has sent me to you.

Everything Jesus is including that which is living in Him He received from His God and Father. He is begotten.

Pure speculation, but ....
The Old Testament doesn't, hmmm ... shall we say doesn't HIGHLIGHT the idea of the Trinity. It seems that the New Testament gave cause to seek the few spots in the Old Testament that alludes to the Trinity. So, getting to the wild speculation, is it not possible that there are more than 3 'persons' making up the God-head? (not that I have any proof but neither is there proof that this speculation is false to my knowledge.)

... thought I'd put that out there 'cause jaybo wants to get to 20,000 posts on this thread :eek2
Jesus answered them, “Is it not written in your law, ‘I said, you are all gods’? 35 If he called them gods to whom the word of God came (and scripture cannot be broken), 36 do you say of him whom the Father consecrated and sent into the world, ‘You are blaspheming,’ because I said, ‘I am the Son of God’

But most of the people discussing this are Christians, yet there is much disagreement.
Most people who are baptized in Jesus' Name normally come around to a point of view on the Trinity that is distinctly Oneness.

I would say that even my view is distinctly Oneness while I do not deny the distinctions between the Persons in the Trinity.

Some deny the Godhead, others divide, and still more do both.
But you do realize that the hymn supports everything I have said, right? It mentions the Trinity, which means it is speaking of the one being that is God having always existed as three coequal, co-eternal, consubstantial persons.

As opposed to a name asked
Moses said to God, "Suppose I go to the Israelites and say to them, `The God of your fathers has sent me to you,' and they ask me, `What is his name?' Then what shall I tell them?" God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM. This is what you are to say to the Israelites: `I AM has sent me to you.

Who do you believe the Angel of the Lord is in Exodus 3:1-14?

The Father or the Son?

But you do realize that the hymn supports everything I have said, right? It mentions the Trinity, which means it is speaking of the one being that is God having always existed as three coequal, co-eternal, consubstantial persons.
I remember the words thrice repeated, "is not."

I remember the words thrice repeated, "is not."
Yes, exactly. As I’ve pointed out, the words “is not” refer to “having always existed as three, coequal, co-eternal . . . persons.” They have always been distinct from each other. That is precisely what the doctrine of the Trinity states, hence why the hymn agrees with what I’ve said.

Yes, exactly. As I’ve pointed out, the words “is not” refer to “having always existed as three, coequal, co-eternal . . . persons.” They have always been distinct from each other. That is precisely what the doctrine of the Trinity states, hence why the hymn agrees with what I’ve said.
The hymn says, "God IN three persons." Not IS three persons. Consequently, the One God who is IN three persons cannot be divided.

The Shema is correct. Praise his Holy name. Jew and Gentile unite.

Last edited:
The hymn says, "God IN three persons." Not IS three persons. Consequently, the One God who is IN three persons cannot be divided.
In speaking of the Trinity, “God in three persons” is the exact same as “God is three persons.”

The Shema is correct. Praise his Holy name. Jew and Gentile unite.
Of course it is correct and the doctrine of the Trinity fully affirms it.

No. There is only One God.
Yes, I know. That is exactly what I am saying. The one God has always existed as three coequal and co-eternal persons, just as the hymn alludes to. Again, in the context of talking about the Trinity, "God in three persons" is the same as "God is three persons," even if one is slightly less accurate than the other.

Yes, I know. That is exactly what I am saying. The one God has always existed as three coequal and co-eternal persons, just as the hymn alludes to. Again, in the context of talking about the Trinity, "God in three persons" is the same as "God is three persons," even if one is slightly less accurate than the other.
We have been here before Free. To say God is three persons leads to accusations of polytheism which puts Christians in a position of ridicule. It causes division between different denominations and beliefs, not least of all with Jews. I would love for God to use the forums in the furtherance of His kingdom and for that to happen we need to speak with one voice, and you are in a position where you can bring people together. Put God first in all things His will to do. May God bless. So be it Lord.

We have been here before Free. To say God is three persons leads to accusations of polytheism which puts Christians in a position of ridicule. It causes division between different denominations and beliefs, not least of all with Jews. I would love for God to use the forums in the furtherance of His kingdom and for that to happen we need to speak with one voice, and you are in a position where you can bring people together. Put God first in all things His will to do. May God bless. So be it Lord.
GREAT POST!

We have been here before Free. To say God is three persons leads to accusations of polytheism which puts Christians in a position of ridicule.
Only if it is not taught properly and misunderstood. Besides, people ridicule Christianity anyway, so what is better, change what the Bible says or stick with it? The Trinity has been the official understanding of God, in the Church, for centuries, based on all that the Bible reveals, so on what grounds can we change it now? There are no grounds that I can see.

It causes division between different denominations and beliefs, not least of all with Jews.
None of which is relevant as well. Things necessary and things unnecessary cause divisions in the Church. So, again, what is most important--adhering to what the Bible states or changing it? The Bible says what it does and we either preach it or we are preaching something else.

I would love for God to use the forums in the furtherance of His kingdom and for that to happen we need to speak with one voice, and you are in a position where you can bring people together. Put God first in all things His will to do. May God bless. So be it Lord.
I'm not going to not affirm the Trinity, as I believe it best describes the nature of God as revealed in Scripture. I'm not going to compromise truth in the name of "speaking with one voice" or in the name of "unity." Unity that is not based on truth is an illusion.

To say God is three persons leads to accusations of polytheism which puts Christians in a position of ridicule.
I agree with this statement. This may be why many trinitarians use the terms “subsistence” or “hypostasis" instead of “person”.
A note on the use of the word “person”. Some theologians (reformed) avoid defining “person” as an individual essence; otherwise the charge of tritheism would stand. The three persons are distinct from the essence of God per Francis Turretin “because essence is one only, while the persons are three. The former is absolute, the latter are relative; the former is communicable (as to identity), the latter are incommunicable.” One will often find writers using words such as “subsistence” or “hypostasis" instead of “person” in an attempt to safeguard biblical trinitarian monotheism. The word “person” in regard to the trinity is not found in the bible except King James for Hebrews 1:3.

1689 London Confession of Faith
In this divine and infinite Being there are three subsistence’s, the Father, the Word or Son, and Holy Spirit, of one substance, power, and eternity, each having the whole divine essence, yet the essence undivided: the Father is of none, neither begotten nor proceeding; the Son is begotten (eternally generated) of the Father; the Holy Spirit proceeding from the Father and the Son; all infinite, without beginning, therefore but one God, who is not to be divided in nature and being, but distinguished by several peculiar relative properties and personal relations; which doctrine of the Trinity is the foundation of all our communion with God, and comfortable dependence on him. (1 John 5:7; Matthew 28:19; 2 Corinthians 13:14; Exodus 3:14; John 14:11; 1 Corinthians 8:6; John 1:14,18; John 15:26; Galatians 4:6 )

Back to munching my popcorn and hoping we get to 20,000 posts for jaybo

Who do you believe the Angel of the Lord is in Exodus 3:1-14?

The Father or the Son?
Not coeternal Col 1:19 was written about Jesus not trying to logic Him from the OT.
God is unbegotten
Neither - the Spirit of God and a Angel
It suggests to me a Angel who stands in the presence of God (His Spirit). Jesus is not a angel nor a arch angel. God's presence was their Via the Spirit of God.

I suggest you focus on their relationship not the trinity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back