Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Three person God identified in the Bible?

Where is the three person God identified in the Bible?

• Total voters

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Status
Not open for further replies.
RoS,

But the word of God clearly says nothing about a truine God.

It never states that he is an absolute one either.

I understand that you beleive that there is One God , but that he is divided between three distinctions....The word says nowhere that Jesus Christ is a second divine demi-God NEXT to God almighty.

It is stuff like this that shows me you don't understand the Trinity. God is not "divided" between three distinctions, nor is Christ a demigod. That is a blatant misrepresentation of trinitarian doctrine.

But the trinitarian is saying Jesus is the second person in the Godhead . Col. 2:9 says much differnet.

That verse doesn't say anything regarding Oneness or trinitarianism.

Isa 9:6 For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.

let's chew on this one a while :tongue

Rose of Sharon Said:
"Of course the dictionary says that truine means 3, duh."

I think that this is a fairly clear example of what I was referring to.
BTW it it Triune, not truine.

Free said:
RoS,

But the word of God clearly says nothing about a truine God.

[quote:2fd87]I understand that you beleive that there is One God , but that he is divided between three distinctions....The word says nowhere that Jesus Christ is a second divine demi-God NEXT to God almighty.

It is stuff like this that shows me you don't understand the Trinity. God is not "divided" between three distinctions, nor is Christ a demigod. That is a blatant misrepresentation of trinitarian doctrine.

But the trinitarian is saying Jesus is the second person in the Godhead . Col. 2:9 says much differnet.

That verse doesn't say anything regarding Oneness or trinitarianism.[/quote:2fd87]

_____________________--

Rose said;
[quote:2fd87]But the word of God clearly says nothing about a truine God.

Free;
[/quote:2fd87]

Excuse me. The bible has NUMEROUS places that say God is One.
What do you not understand about the word ONE?

Lets see;

Old Testament:

* "Know therefore this day, and consider it in your heart, that the LORD Himself is God in heaven above, and on the earth beneath: there is no other." (Deuteronomy 4:39 NKJV)
* "I am the LORD, and there is no other, there is no God beside Me." (Isaiah 45:5)
* "Have we not all one Father? Has not one God created us?" (Malachi 2:10)
* "Hear, O Israel: the Lord our God, the LORD is one! You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your strength." (Deuteronomy 6:4,5)

New Testament:

* "It is written, ‘You shall worship the LORD your God, and Him only you shall serve.’" (Matthew 4:10)
* "There is one God; and there is no other but He." (Mark 12:32)
* "You believe that there is one God; you do well." (James 2:19)
* "Now a mediator does not mediate for one only, but God is one." (Galatians 3:20)
* "For there is one God, and one Mediator between God and men." (1 Timothy 2:5)

There are many more like this that claim the absolute oneness of God.

I understand trinity very well. Its HOW you all explain it that causes folks to think you beleive in three separate divine gods. I have even had folks TELL me that they beleive there are three distinct persons in the God head.

Trinity is this; Tell me if I'm wrong.

Trinity beleives that there is only one God.

Trinity beleives that there are three distinct persons called God, known as the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

Trinity beleives that the three persons, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are the one God.

Contradictorial .. It goes from ' three distinct persons' to ' One God'.

Which is it? :crazyeyes:

[quote:2fd87]But the trinitarian is saying Jesus is the second person in the Godhead . Col. 2:9 says much differnet.

That verse doesn't say anything regarding Oneness or trinitarianism.[/quote:2fd87]
[/quote]

Col. 2:9 is very clear about WHO Jesus is.

For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.

Its very plain.

God bless free :biggrin

Jcharlesscott said:
Rose of Sharon Said:
"Of course the dictionary says that truine means 3, duh."

I think that this is a fairly clear example of what I was referring to.
BTW it it Triune, not truine.

And what pray tell were you referring to?

:smt090

nuhmmie said:
Isa 9:6 For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.

Well, lets see, the mighty God part and the everlasting father part just might give the fact away that Jesus is truly God in the flesh and that there are no other gods beside him......

:smt106 chew on that for awhile.......... hehe..

Eve777 said:
let's chew on this one a while

I have served that one up to be chewed many times....but some people just can't swallow it... :-D Welcome to the forums.

Thanks Eve! :tongue Pleased to meet you.

There's always something each of us choke on. This may be one for some and the relationship between The Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit is a difficult one for most (for a while anyway) no matter how small the piece. Then again, it isn't easy for a reason. I suppose none of us should sit satisified as though we understand any facet of Him well enough. True?

RoS said:
Free said:
;

Excuse me. The bible has NUMEROUS places that say God is One.
What do you not understand about the word ONE?

Lets see;

Old Testament:

* "Know therefore this day, and consider it in your heart, that the LORD Himself is God in heaven above, and on the earth beneath: there is no other." (Deuteronomy 4:39 NKJV)
* "I am the LORD, and there is no other, there is no God beside Me." (Isaiah 45:5)
* "Have we not all one Father? Has not one God created us?" (Malachi 2:10)
* "Hear, O Israel: the Lord our God, the LORD is one! You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your strength." (Deuteronomy 6:4,5)

New Testament:

* "It is written, ‘You shall worship the LORD your God, and Him only you shall serve.’" (Matthew 4:10)
* "There is one God; and there is no other but He." (Mark 12:32)
* "You believe that there is one God; you do well." (James 2:19)
* "Now a mediator does not mediate for one only, but God is one." (Galatians 3:20)
* "For there is one God, and one Mediator between God and men." (1 Timothy 2:5)

There are many more like this that claim the absolute oneness of God.

You really need to do some studying and actually read what I wrote. None of those verses speak of the "absoluteness" of God in that he is only one person, not three. They only speak of monothesim which agrees with trinitarianism. There are different words for "one" that could have been used which indicate "absolute oneness," but the words used do not indicate this.

Ros said:
I have even had folks TELL me that they beleive there are three distinct persons in the God head.

And that is correct.

RoS said:
Trinity is this; Tell me if I'm wrong.

Trinity beleives that there is only one God.

Trinity beleives that there are three distinct persons called God, known as the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

Trinity beleives that the three persons, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are the one God.

Contradictorial .. It goes from ' three distinct persons' to ' One God'.

Which is it? :crazyeyes:

This is not contradictorial. If it was three gods in the one God, that would be a contradiction. The term "person" is only a human way to add some understanding to an extremely complex doctrine. The Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, are all God, but yet they are all distinct from one another. They are all in the one Being that is God.

Trinitarianism acknowledges that there is only one God, but it also accounts for the obvious distinctions between the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.

I suppose none of us should sit satisified as though we understand any facet of Him well enough. True?

Absolutlely true....it took me a while to learn that....the more I know, the less I understand it all..... I have become like a feather in the wind...I go where he wants me too.........and speak what I think he wants me to say........someday I will know everything....and I just know I will be surprised about something I thought I knew.... :)

Rose of Sharon said:

Well, lets see, the mighty God part and the everlasting father part just might give the fact away that Jesus is truly God in the flesh and that there are no other gods beside him......

:smt106 chew on that for awhile.......... hehe..

yep. So, we are for the moment contented that Jesus is God made Flesh. No quarrels here. Heck, many can't get that far. If nothing else, let's all be happy we are in agreement with THAT! :-D

I suppose some confusion within the posts seem to reveal one 'side' (if you will) says "Jesus is God" and the other side says "Jesus is God" but a question is being raised as whether you count him as ANOTHER God because He is a separate person or whether or not you count Him as one God because He and His father are ONE. As the Isiah passage would show (Jesus being called 'the father').

Well, we know that God CANNOT lie. But it's working out the logic so much as our puny created human brains can understand ANYTHING of God in the first place. So, the work to do, is to work out how God can exist as Himself AND His Son at the same time. Why?
because there are issues to be resolved. God cannot be in the presence of sin, and the fleshly world is all about it. Jesus could be and was His entire life here. God cannot be tempted BUT Jesus was in the desert. So, how is it that The Father AND Jesus exist as themselves and eachother all at the very same time WITHOUT a single word of God being undone?

how's that for chewing? :smt023
see, I'm a good chewer! LOL Please, just be patient, I'm trying to catch up on 4 pages of posts. And I hope I've captured the jist of it.

how God can exist as Himself AND His Son at the same time.

God is spirit........only the manifestation in the flesh as Jesus the man, was tempted...spirit can not be tempted...only flesh.....

Eve777 said:
I suppose none of us should sit satisified as though we understand any facet of Him well enough. True?

Absolutlely true....it took me a while to learn that....the more I know, the less I understand it all..... I have become like a feather in the wind...I go where he wants me too.........and speak what I think he wants me to say........someday I will know everything....and I just know I will be surprised about something I thought I knew.... :)

I look forward to the day when I become like a feather in the wind. Sounds so peaceful! The day I get over myself, I don't even want to know I did, just so I can enjoy the peace of God in my heart instead of the anguish of being to busy for Him with instead, fighting myslef. It'll happen. I have no doubt about it. ;-)

Eve777 said:
how God can exist as Himself AND His Son at the same time.

God is spirit........only the manifestation in the flesh as Jesus the man, was tempted...spirit can not be tempted...only flesh.....

I threw out the question as to hopefully incite a desire to approach things from another perspective. It's an exercise that helps me. I figure, if one perspective doesn't provide what I need, I'll investigate what can be seen from as many different perspectives as I can contemplate and decide how far I can go from there.

Persoanlly, this quesiton doesn't bother me. If God says He's the Father and that the Son is also the Father then, okay by me! God the Father is God and so is Jesus. Will do.

I figure when the relationship that I can't wrap my brain around becomes crucial information for a task He has lined up for me, He'll explain it to me. And that He won't bother if it's not essential or important that I truly do or don't comprehend it now. I can't understand it without Him literally telling me, so I'm not going to kill myself over it.

God's word is true. I'll let Him work out the details, because even if I work it out for myself, I alone have not the power to convince not one other living soul.

Sometimes I think we Analyze things to death instead of just letting the spirit lead us. Too much knowledge can be as dangerous as too little....I refer to all those who take each word and break it down until they are blue in the face....they just spin their wheels and never seem to understand that the scriptures are spiritually discerned....in other words,,,we need the Spirit to lead us when we read them.....not a stack of books and dictionaries by our side.... :) Didn't Jesus tell us, the Holy Spirit would lead us to ALL truth.....? IF we just trust and obey. There's the kicker....learning to listen for that still quite voice....learning to recognize his voice and know that it is not our thoughts but his...

Even Paul and the Early Church didn't understand it all....but they understood what was important for them to know....

1Cr 2:2 For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified.

Gal 6:14 But God forbid that I should glory, save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world is crucified unto me, and I unto the world.

Romans 12:14....in the Living Bible,,,I generally prefer the KJV, but this scripture sounds more to the point in the NLB

14 If people persecute you because you are a Christian, don't curse them; pray that God will bless them. 15 When others are happy, be happy with them. If they are sad, share their sorrow. 16 Live in harmony with each other. Don't try to act important, but enjoy the company of ordinary people. And don't think you know it all

This is to no one in particular...just a though on my mind today....

It's a long journey from when you first believed until the day you die, for most of us and we learn along the way....some things I hold firm but I have changed my mind on some things when I got more understanding on them or perhaps, it was time to grow.....don't ever stop seeking and think you know it all.......Paul didn't profess to knowing it all....maybe you shouldn't :) either......

Adams son said:
evanman said:
We know from the scriptures that God is one.

We know from the scriptures that Jesus Christ is the Son of God. he is also shown as being the Word of God and, by virtue of this He is God.

The scriptures also show us that the Holy Ghost/Spirit is God.

By virtue of this we believe that the Father is God, The Son is God and the Holy Ghost/Spirit is God. All three are God.

The risen and ascended Jesus states that he will intercede on the behalf of people with His Father, so we conclude that this Father/Son relastionship continues within the Godhead..

Show me ONE place in the Bible where a three person God is identified without asking me to imagine an extraneous notion into the text.

ohhhh...please adam, give him a easier question to start with, then throw that one in at he end

Its all about eggs apparantly, lets see if i can remember it; There is fried, scrambled, and boiled, no, no, poached, that was it, lol.

There are many things in the world that are in three adam that explain the trinity, you dont need the bible for that. For example, hmm, hmm, hang on.................... oh yeah, sea, lake, pond.... yeahhhhh, the trinity...i believe it. lol

nuhmmie said:

ias 9.6, God is translated to name just one place gen21.39 as 'power' , so we cannot be certain that God in that instance is indeed correct. Nor ofcourse can we be certain that it is not..

below strongs for God #410

H410
אל
'êl
ale
Shortened from H352; strength; as adjective mighty; especially the Almighty (but used also of any deity): - God (god), X goodly, X great, idol, might (-y one), power, strong. Compare names in “-el.â€Â

Lot of words there, eh. I chewed, as you said for a while, but not long.

your
45rt

Re: Who does this edify?

Rose of Sharon said:
Jcharlesscott said:
I apologize for being a bit taken back here, but do you all remember the "simple" teachings of our saviour?

I have only recently joined this forum and have been utterly amazed at the lack of love and respect shown by its membership. Perhaps too much time is being spent in the deep topics of the Word by those who need to focus primarily on the "milk" of the word and having mastered the ability to rebuke or teach in love return to topics that may require a bit more Christian love to discuss in a respectful manor.

This being said I must also mention that biblical interpretation is both an art and a science. It is a science in that it has specific rules and regulations governing it, but remains an art in that the more you do it the better at it you become.

I believe that there has been a great deal of isogesis going on. Perhaps what is needed is a firm grasp of biblical hermeneutics prior to tackling these weighty issues. I do not mean to imply that someone does not have the intelligence to understand scripture, rather that if you rightly apply the rules of hermeneutics many difficult doctrines become less so.

I apologize sincerely if anyone is offended by this posting.

Peace be with you.

To 'whom' are you referring to might I ask? All of us? What in particular are you offended at?
:sad

I think it is the hermeneutics that Jesus was always talking about. lol [ no offence original writer]

Such as that famous verse; blessed is he that knows his hermeneutics. No wonder the Jews could not understand, i cant either. But thats theology for yah. Why dont we go back to the old way. Believing what the bible says?

Tis difficult sometimes to put in type in short without sounding as if blunt. No body launguage. Ah well, such is life
45rt

[quote="45rt]Lot of words there, eh. I chewed, as you said for a while, but not long.

your
45rt[/quote]

yeah, okay man.
it's like I was dead asleep and you just woke me up to be mean to me. I wasn't even being smart when I said it. glad you got your moment to shine.

in anycase, NOW I would have to go back and read what was posted to figure out why you had to bother me. but I don't feel like it. like I keep every post ever written neatly tucked away in some super subconscious file or something.

no hello, no how are ya, just "you need someone to show how superior they are to ya, here, let me give it a whirl" crap.

yippee.

:evil:

One name, Three Persons???

I believe that the closest to an actually referencee to a three person God is going to be found in Matthew 28:19, aka The Great Commission. Note that I say the closest, because it doesn't actually say that the Three are one God, nor does it mention anything about a triune God, but the use of the singular 'name' and yet three Persons are mentioned makes one say, Hmmmm.

"Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, eve to the end of the age."

I am not going to claim that this is an end-all, conclusive proof text for the Trinity. I will, however, ask that you look at the verse a bit more objectively than before. What does it truly say? What does 'in the name of' mean? Why only one name but three identities? What is the connection between the Three? Why are all Three mentioned here, but Peter only baptized in Jesus' name?

In Christ,
Matthew

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back