Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

Bible Study Was the world really created in 6 days according to the old testament.

StoveBolts
thanks for the reply

So what; this isn’t religion comparison is it? You know, my religion is better then your’s contest.

Actually, it was much in the same way that the Exodus was about all the gods of Egypt. I don't want to go down some bunny trail here, but within the cultural context which Genesis 1 and 2 were written, it is easy to see what is driving the text. Remember, YHVH wasn't the only deity within that day.
We can elaborate further from the link provided below if you wish.
http://www.christianforums.net/showthread.php?t=20251

Scripture is clear but do we understand it clearly? Is the question. Since evening and morning were the first day. And there was no sun light to constitute a day as in one revolution of the earth about it’s axis. Then what is a evening and a day in God’s site? Since He saw that what He made was good. You know evening: "and darkness was upon the face of the deep" then there was day as in light where there was no light "And God said, Let there be light: and there was light." but yet there was still darkness. So what is a day unto the Lord God that there would be a next day (evening and morning)?

We can use scripture to define scripture.
Exodus 20:11 For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

It has always been understood that this was a literal 6 days which is why every 7th day was a day of rest.

Why is it that if you live unto the eighth day, you must be circumcised? When is the eighth day?
This is just kind of a silly question. It all depends on where your at in the calendar. The 8th day as far as circumcision could be any day of the week depending on what day the child was born.

We really don’t care what someone else’s theories are, but if you speak like the text says something other then what it says, then who’s going to take you seriously, as one who seeks to speak the Truth of a matter?

If you had never been taught evolution (which is a theory, not fact) then we wouldn't even be having this conversation.... Again, it is only evangelical Christians that try to manipulate the text to say a day is an age to fit the creation account into an evolutionary view.

This is all i know about it and have not armed myself with any other scripture information but i would like to point that the original hebrew word used for "day" also serves for "age". Which brings you to think, Was the world created in a litteral six days that human beings perceive? Or was it created over a longer time?

________

The above is your posting, right?? The way that 'i' see it (1 Cor. 12:10's last part of the verse) from this post on has me wondering about being 'armed' with perhaps the Jer. 17:5 ammunition?:sad

Hey, is that straight enough for your other post question???

---Elijah

Actually, it was much in the same way that the Exodus was about all the gods of Egypt. I don't want to go down some bunny trail here, but within the cultural context which Genesis 1 and 2 were written, it is easy to see what is driving the text. Remember, YHVH wasn't the only deity within that day.
We can elaborate further from the link provided below if you wish.
http://www.christianforums.net/showthread.php?t=20251

Exodus 20:11 For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

It has always been understood that this was a literal 6 days which is why every 7th day was a day of rest.

This is just kind of a silly question. It all depends on where your at in the calendar. The 8th day as far as circumcision could be any day of the week depending on what day the child was born.

If you had never been taught evolution (which is a theory, not fact) then we wouldn't even be having this conversation.... Again, it is only evangelical Christians that try to manipulate the text to say a day is an age to fit the creation account into an evolutionary view.

StoveBolts
thanks for the reply

Ok, if you like, just for grins, and maybe some understanding lets go through some of this. A side note: in your ref. To "YHVH" notice that "YHVH" it is not said in scripture until Gen:2:4. So through out creation or the act of it, it is only Elohim (Creator and Judge) that is mentioned in the first chapter of Gen.

There are some who look at the first verse in Gen:1 as the elements of creation, meaning:
in the Beginning = Time
God = something that started it.
Created = energy
the Heavens = Space
and Earth = Matter

Though one can agree or disagree with that, it is of no matter, what is more important to understand is. Was God’s Presence inside or out side of His creation before the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters?

StoveBolts
thanks for the reply

Ok, if you like, just for grins, and maybe some understanding lets go through some of this. A side note: in your ref. To "YHVH" notice that "YHVH" it is not said in scripture until Gen:2:4. So through out creation or the act of it, it is only Elohim (Creator and Judge) that is mentioned in the first chapter of Gen.

There are some who look at the first verse in Gen:1 as the elements of creation, meaning:
in the Beginning = Time
God = something that started it.
Created = energy
the Heavens = Space
and Earth = Matter

Though one can agree or disagree with that, it is of no matter, what is more important to understand is. Was God’s Presence inside or out side of His creation before the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters?

_______

'.. is all i know about it and have not armed myself with any other scripture information but i would like to point that the original hebrew word used for "day" also serves for "age". Which brings you to think, Was the world created in a litteral six days that human beings perceive? Or was it created over a longer time?

________

The above is your posting, right?? The way that 'i' see it (1 Cor. 12:10's last part of the verse) from this post on has me wondering about being 'armed' with perhaps the Jer. 17:5 ammunition?:sad

---Elijah

Me again!
It sure does seem that you were ARMED for this CREATION WEEK posting with all kinds of the Jer. 17:5 material? (2 Cor. 4:2) And you say: 'and have not armed myself ..':sad

2 Cor. 4
[2] But have renounced the hidden things of dishonesty, not walking in craftiness, nor handling the word of God deceitfully; but by manifestation of the truth commending ourselves to every man's conscience in the sight of God.
[3] But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost:
[4] In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.

Let me just make one more thought forum?? And that is that this just might turn into a 'hobby/horse' thread with a huge amount of armed material from the Jer. 17:5 ones as stated above?

---Elijah

Jer. 17
[5] Thus saith the LORD; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeth from the LORD.
[6] For he shall be like the heath in the desert, and shall not see when good cometh; but shall inhabit the parched places in the wilderness, in a salt land and not inhabited.
[7] Blessed is the man that trusteth in the LORD, and whose hope the LORD is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Where do the dinosaurs and neanderthals fit into this literal six day picture? Given that God is a completely unfathomable entity, is it possible the message was some how lost in the translation?

_______

'.. is all i know about it and have not armed myself with any other scripture information but i would like to point that the original hebrew word used for "day" also serves for "age". Which brings you to think, Was the world created in a litteral six days that human beings perceive? Or was it created over a longer time?

________

---Elijah

Me again!
It sure does seem that you were ARMED for this CREATION WEEK posting with all kinds of the Jer. 17:5 material? (2 Cor. 4:2) And you say: 'and have not armed myself ..':sad

2 Cor. 4
[2] But have renounced the hidden things of dishonesty, not walking in craftiness, nor handling the word of God deceitfully; but by manifestation of the truth commending ourselves to every man's conscience in the sight of God.
[3] But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost:
[4] In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.

Let me just make one more thought forum?? And that is that this just might turn into a 'hobby/horse' thread with a huge amount of armed material from the Jer. 17:5 ones as stated above?

---Elijah

Jer. 17
[5] Thus saith the LORD; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeth from the LORD.
[6] For he shall be like the heath in the desert, and shall not see when good cometh; but shall inhabit the parched places in the wilderness, in a salt land and not inhabited.
[7] Blessed is the man that trusteth in the LORD, and whose hope the LORD is.

And what does one see instead? Just more of the devil's stuff with his cranking up doubts! First God's Word on creation week, and now the dinosaur? + 'did God say..?' Well here is what this post said...
'and have not armed myself ':fullauto he says?? Wheeze!! --Elijah

Where do the dinosaurs and neanderthals fit into this literal six day picture?

Literal in what sense? Man's view or God's view?

Given that God is a completely unfathomable entity, is it possible the message was some how lost in the translation?

Not necessarily, the message is retained, but is it possible the rest is disregarded or buried, and of no consequence, to whom the message is told to?

I believe John 3 16 , do i understand it completely nope.

I believe the Genesis just the same way .... Plain and simple

This OP brings once again scofield to mind :sad

'Was the world really created in 6 days..'
Just wondering, is Bible Studies the place to teach 'doubts of Gods Word'?:sad
--Elijah

'Was the world really created in 6 days..'
Just wondering, is Bible Studies the place to teach 'doubts of Gods Word'?:sad
--Elijah

But it might be a place to respond to doubts and questions of God’s Word, in a Graceful, and peaceful manner when possible. Wha do ya think?

I remember posting in other threads, a day is defined by God. It is indeed literal 6 days. But the length of each day for the first 4 days of creation could vary for they did not have the sun. The sun began to rule the day from the fifth day.

(Gen 1:5) God called the light "day," and the darkness he called "night."

Where does one find that remark??? 'But the length of each day for the first 4 days of creation could vary for they did not have the sun.'

It kind of sounds like Christ of Matt. 4:4 & His that day documentation. And then us being told by some that the NT was not recorded yet, so Christs WORD (Eternal Word) needed to be just understood from that day forword.

And you might just give us the Truth as for what this LIGHT was? 2 Cor.4:6
[6] For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.

Just one more verse to ponder for the earth's only need until God finished His creation in SIX DAYS.
Rev. 21:23 ('i' almost fear to post this for others misunderstanding. But this verse is ONLY for the Heavenly cities light, not the recreated earth!)

[22] And I saw no temple therein: for the Lord God Almighty and the Lamb are the temple of it.
[23] And the city had no need of the sun, neither of the moon, to shine in it: for the glory of God did lighten it, and the Lamb is the light thereof.
[24] And the nations of them which are saved shall walk in the light of it:..'

And the 2 Thess. verse??
[8] And then shall that Wicked be revealed, whom the Lord shall consume with the spirit of his mouth, and shall destroy with the brightness of his coming:
[9] Even him, whose coming is after the working of Satan with all power and signs and lying wonders,

So what on earth needed the sun untile the time was ready?????

--Elijah

What about this scripture?

2 Peter 3:8

(NIV)

8 But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day.

Then how long was Jesus in the grave 3 days or 3thousand years?

I support literal creation in 6 days.

Then how long was Jesus in the grave 3 days or 3thousand years?

I support literal creation in 6 days.

Me to!;)
Jude's 'winds' are blowing all over the place today! (both physical & spiritual) We surely need to be prepared for what is ahead of the Matt. 24:21 on, prophecy! For we have not seen much of anything yet for what is on the horizon. Matt. 24:21 is just the escalating start.
--Elijah

Every Hebrew scholar agrees that the word Day in Genesis 1 means a literal day. You only find a variance from this view from Evangelical Christians.

Apparently, even Jesus took day as literal...

Mark 10:6 But from the beginning of the creation God made them male and female.

Jesus does not say, "4.5 billion years after the earth was created, God made them male and female".

No i dont take the 4.6B years story, I just think it might go a little farther back than we think. I doubt the world is billions of years old though.

No i dont take the 4.6B years story, I just think it might go a little farther back than we think. I doubt the world is billions of years old though.

I understand Abrose.

Your Opening Statement is titled, "Was the world really created in 6 days according to the old testament."

The key here being, "according to the old testament"

Exodus 20:9 Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:
Exodus 20:10a But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God:

Apparently Moses believed the earth was created in 6 days, and it is Moses who is credited for recording Genesis.

But it might be a place to respond to doubts and questions of God’s Word, in a Graceful, and peaceful manner when possible. Wha do ya think?

Hi, well NO, 'i' do not think that this fits in Bible Study.:sad

If so, then I would call this 'stuff' down immediately as is done by God in Numbers 16. And you say GRACEFUL, and PEACEFUL + what do I think?? Here are some Inspired verses of Gospel Truth, you decide which side that you agree with???

Numbers 16
[1] Now Korah, the son of Izhar, the son of Kohath, the son of Levi, and Dathan and Abiram, the sons of Eliab, and On, the son of Peleth, sons of Reuben, took men:
[2] And they rose up before Moses, with certain of the children of Israel, two hundred and fifty princes of the assembly, famous in the congregation, men of renown:
[3] And they gathered themselves together against Moses and against Aaron, and said unto them, Ye take too much upon you, seeing all the congregation are holy, every one of them, and the LORD is among them: ..'

And to cast any doubt upon creation week not being as the Word Of God Documented, has me believing in the Matt. 18:14-18 responsibility. And that chapter is for the Spirit/filled Church Body to act upon. (and not in 'forum' Bible study!)

--Elijah

If so, then I would call this 'stuff' down immediately as is done by God in Numbers 16. And you say GRACEFUL, and PEACEFUL + what do I think?? Here are some Inspired verses of Gospel Truth, you decide which side that you agree with???

Numbers 16
[1] Now Korah, the son of Izhar, the son of Kohath, the son of Levi, and Dathan and Abiram, the sons of Eliab, and On, the son of Peleth, sons of Reuben, took men:
[2] And they rose up before Moses, with certain of the children of Israel, two hundred and fifty princes of the assembly, famous in the congregation, men of renown:
[3] And they gathered themselves together against Moses and against Aaron, and said unto them, Ye take too much upon you, seeing all the congregation are holy, every one of them, and the LORD is among them: ..'

And to cast any doubt upon creation week not being as the Word Of God Documented, has me believing in the Matt. 18:14-18 responsibility. And that chapter is for the Spirit/filled Church Body to act upon. (and not in 'forum' Bible study!)

--Elijah

Elijah

Well my friend, you are certainly not Moses or Aaron, nor is there a pillar of smoke and or fire that is of God standing next to you or with you that all can see. Is there? Nor were you commissioned by God to lead God’s People, the "Children of Israel" to the promised land by way of 40 years in the desert, establishing that which the Lord Himself was to fulfill in the mist of the "Children of Israel". So justification, to be hostile is something you seek, not something the Lord is blessing is it?

I understand Abrose.

Your Opening Statement is titled, "Was the world really created in 6 days according to the old testament."

The key here being, "according to the old testament"

Exodus 20:9 Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:
Exodus 20:10a But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God:

Apparently Moses believed the earth was created in 6 days, and it is Moses who is credited for recording Genesis.

Point taken and accepted, But perhaps our six days of work and then the sabbath is maybe symbolic of the six of "Gods days" that he created it in. Perhaps it was litterally 6 of our actual days. Just a thought

Point taken and accepted, But perhaps our six days of work and then the sabbath is maybe symbolic of the six of "Gods days" that he created it in. Perhaps it was litterally 6 of our actual days. Just a thought

Hi again Ambrose,
While I appreciate your reply, where in the bible, notably the Old Testament do you get this idea from? Or is this idea foreign to the Bible and it's just an idea your entertaining based on modern evolutionary thought?

Thanks!

Elijah

Well my friend, you are certainly not Moses or Aaron, nor is there a pillar of smoke and or fire that is of God standing next to you or with you that all can see. Is there? Nor were you commissioned by God to lead God’s People, the "Children of Israel" to the promised land by way of 40 years in the desert, establishing that which the Lord Himself was to fulfill in the mist of the "Children of Israel". So justification, to be hostile is something you seek, not something the Lord is blessing is it?

--Elijah again:
You did get the point above though, right? (and is not rebellion always rebellion?) Was Gods Word correct or was it that of these rebellous ones?

And yes, you sure do post 'doubting [[[material'!]]]
Mankind lived around 1000 yrs. before the flood, and that makes them how old in your posting reality?:lol And that is [[good for Bible Study]]???:shame

And Mary told Christ in John 11:39...
[37] And some of them said, Could not this man, which opened the eyes of the blind, have caused that even this man should not have died?
[38] Jesus therefore again groaning in himself cometh to the grave. It was a cave, and a stone lay upon it.

[39] Jesus said, Take ye away the stone. Martha, the sister of him that was dead, saith unto him, Lord, by this time he stinketh: for he hath been dead four days.

And that is thousands of years??:sad And is Bible Study Material??

Was the world really created in 6 days according to the old testament.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Elijah674

Numbers 16

--Elijah

Back