Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Depending upon the Holy Spirit for all you do?

Read through the following study by Tenchi for more on this topic

https://christianforums.net/threads/without-the-holy-spirit-we-can-do-nothing.109419/

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

https://christianforums.net/forums/questions-and-answers/

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Bible Study WELCOME TO A DEEP LOOK AT GENESIS

Day 20 5/6/14 Genesis 6:1-4 Giants In The Land.

First, we need to identify who are the "sons of God" and the daughters of man.

Sons of God - I like what the Arabic Writers had to say about these people. "Immediately after the death of Adam, the family of Seth was separated from the family of Cain; Seth took his sons and their wives to a high mountain (Hermon), on the top of which Adam was buried, and Cain and his sons lived in the valley beneath where Abel was slain. And they on the mountain obtained a name for holiness and purity. They and their wives and children went by the common name of the sons of God. Seth and the succeeding patriarchs charged them by no means to go down from the mountain and join the Cainites; but in the times of Jared, some did go down, and after that others, and at this time it became general; and being taken with the beauty of the daughters of Cain and his posterity. and they took them wives of all that they chose." (The following are my thoughts).

Daughters of man - Were the beautiful daughters of Cain who lived in the valley beneath the mountain.

Even though the sons of God or sons of Seth were charged not to go down (going DOWN never seems good) to the Cainites, the lust of the eyes and lust of the flesh won out over being charged not to go down.

"His days shall be 120 years" There are two theories about this time period. One, This would be the average life span of man since so much sin had entered what God had created to be good. Second, The "flood" would occur 120 years from this statement from the Almighty God. Take your pick!

Giants in the earth, The sons of Seth would go down to the daughters of Cain and lay with them producing these giants. I personally see the hand of Satan in all of this, from inciting lust in Seth's sons, the sons of God, and somehow alerting them to the desirable, beautiful daughters of Cain. Because Satan's hand is in this, these giants were the result. These giant's as they are called were, Tall, very strong and powerful, and very cruel like their grandparent Cain. They fit the pattern of Cain's life, and even worse, as time went on.

Gill, in his Commentary says "The sons of God were not angels because angels are incorporeal (not having a material body) beings, and cannot be affected with fleshly lusts, or marry and be given in marriage, or generate and be generated."

Gen 6:1 And it came to pass, when men began to multiply on the face of the earth, and daughters were born unto them,
Gen 6:2 That the sons of God saw the daughters of men that they were fair; and they took them wives of all which they chose.
Gen 6:3 And the LORD said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh: yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years.
Gen 6:4 There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown.

An admin note.... This thread will not be allowed to go way off into Nephilim land...

:biggrin oh now that was a wise input Sister Rebs.

Gen 6:1 And it came to pass, when men began to multiply on the face of the earth, and daughters were born unto them,
Gen 6:2 That the sons of God saw the daughters of men that they were fair; and they took them wives of all which they chose.
Gen 6:3 And the LORD said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh: yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years.
Gen 6:4 There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown.

No comment :x

Oh aside from the 120 years part this has been a confusing scripture over the years and still is a bit. Was it ~ 120 years that Noah took to build the Ark ? ( if it was we can see how incredibly patient Yahweh has been with us )

Getting back to the topic of Genesis, that is why that God created the earth for people to be in the world. And that God did not make the world. For the world to be left alone. And for men and women, first Adam and Eve to multiply over it. due to His creation of the world and people.

Daughters of men is literally daughters of Adam...are not Seth's females also daughters of Adam? Yes they are! And the phrase Sons of God are only used for angels, those born of His Spirit. Without the death, burial, and resurrection of Christ, it is not possible to be born of His Spirit or you would be so born with your sins still un-remissed! So I have to disagree...silence me if you wish but there are three theories and I pick the one that believes these are fallen angels that assumed human forms...

You are not silenced just not this thread, reba

Last edited by a moderator:
Day 21 5/7/14 Genesis 6:5-10 Noah, The Favored One.

As I begin this particular segment of God's Word, I'm surprised at the power of Satan who was able to deceive Adam and Eve so early in the beginning. I have heard that at this time in the history of mankind, we only use 10% of our brain. Our first parents must have had much more than we, and still didn't didn't figure out what the serpent was up to. And now look at what has happened to mankind. "Every intention of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually." If it was not for the Holy Spirit in our hearts, so go I! Considering this power of the evil one, I should always be on guard that I don't get deceived by one of his schemes.

I suspect that Cain's family tree has a lot of these wicked giants in it and contribute greatly to the violence that effected the entire population at that time.

IMO, I see sin being passed from generation to generation. Cain slew Abel, Lamech slew a young man. It is obvious to me that at some point Seth's family members on the mountain became more and more mixed with the Cainites which led to this terrible indictment on the whole human race, that they were wicked, all the time!

It causes me to wonder, what happened to the idea that holy people's life style will have a great effect on unholy people?

Even though God already knew how His creation would end up, He was still deeply affected by man's actions. Praise God for Noah! He walked with God, blameless in his generation. I thought I would add what Gills Commentary said about Noah.
Genesis 6:8
But Noah found grace in the eyes of the Lord. This man and his family were the only exception to the general apostasy; God always reserves some, in the worst of times, for himself; there is a remnant, according to the election of grace; it was but a small one, and that now appeared; and this was owing to the grace of God, and his choice upon that, and not to the merits of the creature. This grace, which Noah found and shared in, was the favour and good will of God; Noah was grateful and acceptable to him; he was well pleased with him in Christ; his person, services, and sacrifices, were acceptable to him through the Beloved; though he might not be acceptable in the eyes of men, who derided him for his piety and devotion, and especially for his prediction of the flood, and making an ark to save him and his family from it; yet he was very acceptable in the eyes of the Lord, and grateful in his sight, and was favoured with grace from him, who is the God of all grace, and with all the supplies of it: the Jerusalem Targum is, he"found grace and mercy;''the grace he found was not on account of his own merit, but on account of the mercy of God: and this shows that he was not without sin, or he would have stood in no need of the mercy and grace of God to save him; and as he found grace and favour in things spiritual, so in things temporal; he found favour with God, and therefore he and his family were spared, when the whole world of the ungodly were destroyed; he found favour with God, and therefore was directed by him to build an ark, for the saving of himself and his; he found favour with him, and therefore he had the honour of being the preserver of mankind, and the father of a new world.

Gen 6:5 And GOD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.
Gen 6:6 And it repented the LORD that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart.
Gen 6:7 And the LORD said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast, and the creeping thing, and the fowls of the air; for it repenteth me that I have made them.
Gen 6:8 But Noah found grace in the eyes of the LORD.
Gen 6:9 These are the generations of Noah: Noah was a just man and perfect in his generations, and Noah walked with God.
Gen 6:10 And Noah begat three sons, Shem, Ham, and Japheth.

Joh_1:17 For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.
Rom_5:21 That as sin hath reigned unto death, even so might grace reign through righteousness unto eternal life by Jesus Christ our Lord.
Eph_2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

Gen_1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Joh 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
Joh 1:2 The same was in the beginning with God.

Gen 6:5 And GOD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.
Gen 6:6 And it repented the LORD that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart.
Gen 6:7 And the LORD said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast, and the creeping thing, and the fowls of the air; for it repenteth me that I have made them.
Gen 6:8 But Noah found grace in the eyes of the LORD.
Gen 6:9 These are the generations of Noah: Noah was a just man and perfect in his generations, and Noah walked with God.
Gen 6:10 And Noah begat three sons, Shem, Ham, and Japheth.

Joh_1:17 For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.
Rom_5:21 That as sin hath reigned unto death, even so might grace reign through righteousness unto eternal life by Jesus Christ our Lord.
Eph_2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

Gen_1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Joh 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
Joh 1:2 The same was in the beginning with God.
:thumbsup

ooops = kekyboard moved.

was supposed to be "this is still true" .... (although not always a 'good' effect, btw) as in a fragrant aroma for the redeemed is an odor of death to the lost who remain in rebellion against Jesus. (looking it up)

now think, who do you know leads an observably holy(set apart) life that others can see ? ... ... ... (quite different from their fellow neighbors or countrymen who live a pagan life)

2 Corinthians 2:14-16
Expanded Bible (EXB)

Victory Through Christ
14 But thanks be to God, who always leads us as captives in Christ’s victory ·parade [procession; C the image is of a victorious Roman general leading his army and his captives through the streets]. God uses us to spread ·his knowledge everywhere like a sweet-smelling perfume [L the aroma/fragrance of the knowledge of him; C incense or spices were burned during such victory parades]. 15 ·Our offering to God is this: [or For God’s sake; or To God] We are the ·sweet smell [aroma; fragrance] of Christ among those who are being saved and among those who are ·being lost [perishing; headed for destruction]. 16 To those who are ·lost [perishing; headed for destruction], we are the ·smell [aroma] of death that brings death, but to those who are being saved, we are the ·smell [aroma] of life that brings life. So who is ·able [qualified; adequate] to do this work?

Day 21 5/7/14 Genesis 6:5-10 Noah, The Favored One.

As I begin this particular segment of God's Word, I'm surprised at the power of Satan who was able to deceive Adam and Eve so early in the beginning. I have heard that at this time in the history of mankind, we only use 10% of our brain. Our first parents must have had much more than we, and still didn't didn't figure out what the serpent was up to. And now look at what has happened to mankind. "Every intention of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually." If it was not for the Holy Spirit in our hearts, so go I! Considering this power of the evil one, I should always be on guard that I don't get deceived by one of his schemes.

I suspect that Cain's family tree has a lot of these wicked giants in it and contribute greatly to the violence that effected the entire population at that time.

IMO, I see sin being passed from generation to generation. Cain slew Abel, Lamech slew a young man. It is obvious to me that at some point Seth's family members on the mountain became more and more mixed with the Cainites which led to this terrible indictment on the whole human race, that they were wicked, all the time!

It causes me to wonder, what happened to the idea that holy people's life style will have a great effect on unholy people?

Even though God already knew how His creation would end up, He was still deeply affected by man's actions. Praise God for Noah! He walked with God, blameless in his generation. I thought I would add what Gills Commentary said about Noah.
Genesis 6:8
But Noah found grace in the eyes of the Lord. This man and his family were the only exception to the general apostasy; God always reserves some, in the worst of times, for himself; there is a remnant, according to the election of grace; it was but a small one, and that now appeared; and this was owing to the grace of God, and his choice upon that, and not to the merits of the creature. This grace, which Noah found and shared in, was the favour and good will of God; Noah was grateful and acceptable to him; he was well pleased with him in Christ; his person, services, and sacrifices, were acceptable to him through the Beloved; though he might not be acceptable in the eyes of men, who derided him for his piety and devotion, and especially for his prediction of the flood, and making an ark to save him and his family from it; yet he was very acceptable in the eyes of the Lord, and grateful in his sight, and was favoured with grace from him, who is the God of all grace, and with all the supplies of it: the Jerusalem Targum is, he"found grace and mercy;''the grace he found was not on account of his own merit, but on account of the mercy of God: and this shows that he was not without sin, or he would have stood in no need of the mercy and grace of God to save him; and as he found grace and favour in things spiritual, so in things temporal; he found favour with God, and therefore he and his family were spared, when the whole world of the ungodly were destroyed; he found favour with God, and therefore was directed by him to build an ark, for the saving of himself and his; he found favour with him, and therefore he had the honour of being the preserver of mankind, and the father of a new world.

Good point Chop. 1Peter tells us we will need to put up with being treated badly, as Noah did. because of our faith.

1Pe 3:13-17 KJV And who is he that will harm you, if ye be followers of that which is good? (14) But and if ye suffer for righteousness' sake, happy are ye: and be not afraid of their terror, neither be troubled; (15) But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear: (16) Having a good conscience; that, whereas they speak evil of you, as of evildoers, they may be ashamed that falsely accuse your good conversation in Christ. (17) For it is better, if the will of God be so, that ye suffer for well doing, than for evil doing.

Considering Jesus said the end times will be like in the days of Noah I also wonder about what you said. Sometimes the effect is Baptism with Spirit and sometimes with fire maybe.

Back