Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Depending upon the Holy Spirit for all you do?

Read through the following study by Tenchi for more on this topic

https://christianforums.net/threads/without-the-holy-spirit-we-can-do-nothing.109419/

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

https://christianforums.net/forums/questions-and-answers/

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Bible Study WELCOME TO A DEEP LOOK AT GENESIS

Gen 9:18 And the sons of Noah, that went forth of the ark, were Shem, and Ham, and Japheth: and Ham is the father of Canaan.
Gen 9:19 These are the three sons of Noah: and of them was the whole earth overspread.
Gen 9:20 And Noah began to be an husbandman, and he planted a vineyard:
Gen 9:21 And he drank of the wine, and was drunken; and he was uncovered within his tent.
Gen 9:22 And Ham, the father of Canaan, saw the nakedness of his father, and told his two brethren without.
Gen 9:23 And Shem and Japheth took a garment, and laid it upon both their shoulders, and went backward, and covered the nakedness of their father; and their faces were backward, and they saw not their father's nakedness.
Gen 9:24 And Noah awoke from his wine, and knew what his younger son had done unto him.
Gen 9:25 And he said, Cursed be Canaan; a servant of servants shall he be unto his brethren.
Gen 9:26 And he said, Blessed be the LORD God of Shem; and Canaan shall be his servant.
Gen 9:27 God shall enlarge Japheth, and he shall dwell in the tents of Shem; and Canaan shall be his servant.
Gen 9:28 And Noah lived after the flood three hundred and fifty years.
Gen 9:29 And all the days of Noah were nine hundred and fifty years: and he died.

No it is not written so... Thess2:8 says nothing of an antichrist. .... back to Noah...

II Thess. 2:8 says "And then shall that Wicked be revealed (this is the Anti-Christ), whom the Lord shall consume with the spirit of his mouth, and shall destroy with the brightness of his coming ("coming" is Greek word "parousia")

The comment was to another post...not anything you had posted

Day 27 5/13/14 Genesis 9:18-28 He Drank Too Much.

Here we have a very interesting series of events. First, I'd like to point out a few facts that have a great deal of influence on these happenings....First Gen. 2:5 & 6 (KJV) V.5 "for Jehovah Elohim had not caused it to rain upon the earth." V.6 "But there went up a mist from the earth and watered the whole face of the ground."

What this means is, "rain" was a completely strange event to the population at this time in history. What makes these words of God to Noah so strange is, God is telling him about what He wants done with a craft to big for the little rivers around them, and something called "rain" that had not yet occurred. Wow! talk about faith and trust in God. Certainly Noah stands out among all the people of faith mentioned in Hebrews Chapter 11.

OK, you say, what does the first ever "rain" have anything to do with our study? I'm glad you asked! The elimination of the "mist" that went up to water the earth, we now have rain to water the earth. Second, With that great change came, an atmospheric change. This change, Noah knew nothing about because it was new to him and his sons. V.20 says that Noah planted a vineyard. A few men and their works that I have studied, like John Gill and Albert Barnes to mention a few state that before the flood, little is known of wine, and if they did drink wine, it was not intoxicating. BUT, with the atmospheric change, grapes now will ferment.

I have read in a few commentary's of the occasion of Noah being drunk as "Noah's Fall" or Noah's "great sin". I would like to give Noah the benefit of doubt. If what I purpose is true, Noah had no idea that drinking his wine would make him drunk. Therefore his so called sin would be classified as a sin out of ignorance.

The real sin came when Ham saw his father drunk in his tent and went out and apparently was amused with that and told his brothers. Noah, once he found out what Ham, the father of Canaan, had done, he pronounced a curse on Canaan to be a servant to his brothers. There are some who believe that the Black African people are the Canaanites. I don't think so.

V.29 Records Noah's death.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gen 9:22 And Ham, father of Canaan, seeth the nakedness of his father, and declareth to his two brethren without.
Gen 9:23 And Shem taketh--Japheth also--the garment, and they place on the shoulder of them both, and go backward, and cover the nakedness of their father; and their faces are backward, and their father's nakedness they have not seen.

Gen 3:21 Unto Adam also and to his wife did the LORD God make coats of skins, and clothed them.

Ham actions not only showed disrespect for his father he seems to have taken a morbid delight in seeing his father this way and then proceeded to pass that information on rather like backbiting his father.
While Shem and Japheth honored their father even in his nakedness and performed an act of redemption on his part. They did not glory in their father's weaken state.

I see that I should be careful myself not to be a Ham who delights in the weakness of another but perform an act of redemption by praying for them that the Lord in His mercy strengthens them in times of temptations. I should not gossip about this person but lift them up to the Lord.

Last edited:
From something I posted 2yrs ago:

When deciding what is meant by Noah's nakedness, it is a mistake to look at its use in Leviticus as a direct synonym. This is because where nakedness is restricted, in every case it is combined with a form of the verb 'uncover'. Ham did not uncover Noah's nakedness; Ham perceived Noah's nakedness and blabbed about it.

Nakedness is only perceived through original sin. It is the shame in being exposed as a sinner; made in God's image yet only human.

Ham had contempt for Noah's human faults and allowed it to corrupt his view of Noah's God. This corruption is still evident today, though there is now a remedy as prophesied through the action of Shem and Japheth.​

compare:

Leviticus 18
English Standard Version (ESV)

Unlawful Sexual Relations
18 And the Lord spoke to Moses, saying, 2 “Speak to the people of Israel and say to them, I am the Lord your God. 3 You shall not do as they do in the land of Egypt, where you lived, and you shall not do as they do in the land of Canaan, to which I am bringing you. You shall not walk in their statutes. 4 You shall follow my rules and keep my statutes and walk in them. I am the Lord your God. 5 You shall therefore keep my statutes and my rules; if a person does them, he shall live by them: I am the Lord.

6 “None of you shall approach any one of his close relatives to uncover nakedness. I am the Lord. 7 You shall not uncover the nakedness of your father, which is the nakedness of your mother; she is your mother, you shall not uncover her nakedness. 8 You shall not uncover the nakedness of your father's wife; it is your father's nakedness. 9 You shall not uncover the nakedness of your sister, your father's daughter or your mother's daughter, whether brought up in the family or in another home. 10 You shall not uncover the nakedness of your son's daughter or of your daughter's daughter, for their nakedness is your own nakedness. 11 You shall not uncover the nakedness of your father's wife's daughter, brought up in your father's family, since she is your sister. 12 You shall not uncover the nakedness of your father's sister; she is your father's relative. 13 You shall not uncover the nakedness of your mother's sister, for she is your mother's relative. 14 You shall not uncover the nakedness of your father's brother, that is, you shall not approach his wife; she is your aunt. 15 You shall not uncover the nakedness of your daughter-in-law; she is your son's wife, you shall not uncover her nakedness. 16 You shall not uncover the nakedness of your brother's wife; it is your brother's nakedness. 17 You shall not uncover the nakedness of a woman and of her daughter, and you shall not take her son's daughter or her daughter's daughter to uncover her nakedness; they are relatives; it is depravity. 18 And you shall not take a woman as a rival wife to her sister, uncovering her nakedness while her sister is still alive.

19 “You shall not approach a woman to uncover her nakedness while she is in her menstrual uncleanness. 20 And you shall not lie sexually with your neighbor's wife and so make yourself unclean with her. 21 You shall not give any of your children to offer them to Molech, and so profane the name of your God: I am the Lord. 22 You shall not lie with a male as with a woman; it is an abomination.

Leviticus 18

Complete Jewish Bible (CJB)

18 Adonai said to Moshe, 2 “Speak to the people of Isra’el; tell them, ‘I am Adonai your God. 3 You are not to engage in the activities found in the land of Egypt, where you used to live; and you are not to engage in the activities found in the land of Kena‘an, where I am bringing you; nor are you to live by their laws. 4 You are to obey my rulings and laws and live accordingly; I am Adonai your God. 5 You are to observe my laws and rulings; if a person does them, he will have life through them; I am Adonai.

(LY: vi) 6 “‘None of you is to approach anyone who is a close relative in order to have sexual relations; I am Adonai. 7 You are not to have sexual relations with your father, and you are not to have sexual relations with your mother. She is your mother — do not have sexual relations with her. 8 You are not to have sexual relations with your father’s wife; that is your father’s prerogative. 9 You are not to have sexual relations with your sister, the daughter of your father or the daughter of your mother, whether born at home or elsewhere. Do not have sexual relations with them. 10 You are not to have sexual relations with your son’s daughter or with your daughter’s daughter. Do not have sexual relations with them, because their sexual disgrace will be your own. 11 You are not to have sexual relations with your father’s wife’s daughter, born to your father, because she is your sister; do not have sexual relations with her. 12 You are not to have sexual relations with your father’s sister, because she is your father’s close relative. 13 You are not to have sexual relations with your mother’s sister, because she is your mother’s close relative. 14 You are not to disgrace your father’s brother by having sexual relations with his wife, because she is your aunt. 15 You are not to have sexual relations with your daughter-in-law; because she is your son’s wife. Do not have sexual relations with her. 16 You are not to have sexual relations with your brother’s wife, because this is your brother’s prerogative.

17 “‘You are not to have sexual relations with both a woman and her daughter, nor are you to have sexual relations with her son’s daughter or her daughter’s daughter; they are close relatives of hers, and it would be shameful. 18 You are not to take a woman to be a rival with her sister and have sexual relations with her while her sister is still alive. 19 You are not to approach a woman in order to have sexual relations with her when she is unclean from her time of niddah. 20 You are not to go to bed with your neighbor’s wife and thus become unclean with her.

21 “‘You are not to let any of your children be sacrificed to Molekh, thereby profaning the name of your God; I am Adonai.

(RY: iv, LY: vii) 22 “‘You are not to go to bed with a man as with a woman; it is an abomination.

From something I posted 2yrs ago:

When deciding what is meant by Noah's nakedness, it is a mistake to look at its use in Leviticus as a direct synonym. This is because where nakedness is restricted, in every case it is combined with a form of the verb 'uncover'. Ham did not uncover Noah's nakedness; Ham perceived Noah's nakedness and blabbed about it.

Nakedness is only perceived through original sin. It is the shame in being exposed as a sinner; made in God's image yet only human.

Ham had contempt for Noah's human faults and allowed it to corrupt his view of Noah's God. This corruption is still evident today, though there is now a remedy as prophesied through the action of Shem and Japheth.​

Very interesting my friend. I have, in the past, read from different expositors, their view of nakedness. When I think of being naked, it means absolutely without cloths on. Apparently, at this time in history, and the clothing customs of the men, there were quite a few layers of clothing. Some say that his robe or skirt may have slipped up exposing his privates. When folk are intoxicated, their sense of modesty sometimes is not even thought of. There were other opinions, I just thought it was interesting, the different views.

Thank you for your post, I did find it informative and needed.

Very interesting my friend. I have, in the past, read from different expositors, their view of nakedness. When I think of being naked, it means absolutely without cloths on. Apparently, at this time in history, and the clothing customs of the men, there were quite a few layers of clothing. Some say that his robe or skirt may have slipped up exposing his privates. When folk are intoxicated, their sense of modesty sometimes is not even thought of. There were other opinions, I just thought it was interesting, the different views.

Thank you for your post, I did find it informative and needed.

2 Sam 6 gives us another look at 'nakedness' and how people can be self righteously offended by the seeming foolish joy of others. Also how this view has consequences.

2 Sam 6 gives us another look at 'nakedness' and how people can be self righteously offended by the seeming foolish joy of others. Also how this view has consequences.

Thanks for that Scripture, Wow, David sure got excited, and his heart was in a good place. All in the eye of the beholder.

12 And this shall be the plague wherewith the Lord will smite all the peoples that have warred against Jerusalem: their flesh shall rot away while they stand upon their feet and their eyes shall corrode away in their sockets and their tongue shall decay away in their mouth.
That is disgusting.
Where is that in the Bible?

Gen 9:18 And the sons of Noah, that went forth of the ark, were Shem, and Ham, and Japheth: and Ham is the father of Canaan.
Gen 9:19 These are the three sons of Noah: and of them was the whole earth overspread.
Gen 9:20 And Noah began to be an husbandman, and he planted a vineyard:
Gen 9:21 And he drank of the wine, and was drunken; and he was uncovered within his tent.
Gen 9:22 And Ham, the father of Canaan, saw the nakedness of his father, and told his two brethren without.
Gen 9:23 And Shem and Japheth took a garment, and laid it upon both their shoulders, and went backward, and covered the nakedness of their father; and their faces were backward, and they saw not their father's nakedness.
Gen 9:24 And Noah awoke from his wine, and knew what his younger son had done unto him.
Gen 9:25 And he said, Cursed be Canaan; a servant of servants shall he be unto his brethren.
Gen 9:26 And he said, Blessed be the LORD God of Shem; and Canaan shall be his servant.
Gen 9:27 God shall enlarge Japheth, and he shall dwell in the tents of Shem; and Canaan shall be his servant.
Gen 9:28 And Noah lived after the flood three hundred and fifty years.
Gen 9:29 And all the days of Noah were nine hundred and fifty years: and he died.

Why did Noah curse Canaan? Seems harsh to me... So what if he saw his dad naked? They're both men.

to "uncover his father's nakedness" meant to sleep with his father's wife. that was bad. (see the bible quoted earlier)

Back