Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Depending upon the Holy Spirit for all you do?

Read through the following study by Tenchi for more on this topic

https://christianforums.net/threads/without-the-holy-spirit-we-can-do-nothing.109419/

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

https://christianforums.net/forums/questions-and-answers/

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Bible Study WELCOME TO A DEEP LOOK AT GENESIS

2Co 6:16 And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.
2Co 6:17 Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you,
2Co 6:18 And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty.
:woot3

Gen 12:5 And Abram took Sarai his wife, and Lot his brother's son, and all their substance that they had gathered, and the souls that they had gotten in Haran; and they went forth to go into the land of Canaan; and into the land of Canaan they came.

So they gathered more people to them as they went. Abram had been evangelizing? I think so.

Quote:
"Canaan: So called from Canaan the son of Ham, lies between the Mediterranean sea on the west, the wilderness of Paran, Idumea, and Egypt on the south, the mountains of Arabia on the east, and the mountains of Lebanon and Phoenicia on the north. Its length, from Dan to Beersheba, is about 200 miles, and its breadth, from the Mediterranean sea to its eastern borders, about 90."
[complements of esword]

2Co 6:16 And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.
2Co 6:17 Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you,
2Co 6:18 And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty.

If only Abram had known these Scriptures, he never would have gone down to Egypt.

Gen 12:5 And Abram took Sarai his wife, and Lot his brother's son, and all their substance that they had gathered, and the souls that they had gotten in Haran; and they went forth to go into the land of Canaan; and into the land of Canaan they came.

So they gathered more people to them as they went. Abram had been evangelizing? I think so.

Quote:
"Canaan: So called from Canaan the son of Ham, lies between the Mediterranean sea on the west, the wilderness of Paran, Idumea, and Egypt on the south, the mountains of Arabia on the east, and the mountains of Lebanon and Phoenicia on the north. Its length, from Dan to Beersheba, is about 200 miles, and its breadth, from the Mediterranean sea to its eastern borders, about 90."
[complements of esword]

I really like e-Sword. I have found many little tricks in it. It pays to go to the help.

Genesis 12:5
Amplified Bible (AMP)

5 Abram took Sarai his wife, and Lot his brother’s son, and all their possessions that they had gathered, and the persons [servants] that they had acquired in Haran, and they went forth to go to the land of Canaan. When they came to the land of Canaan,

Expanded Bible (EXB)

5 He took his wife Sarai, ·his nephew [L the son of his brother] Lot, and everything they owned, as well as all the ·servants [L people] they had gotten in Haran. They set out from Haran, planning to go to the land of Canaan, and in time they arrived there.

Easy-to-Read Version (ERV)

5 He took his wife Sarai, his nephew Lot, all the slaves, and all the other things he had gotten in Haran. Then he and his group moved to the land of Canaan.

Contemporary English Version (CEV)

4-5 Abram was seventy-five years old when the Lord told him to leave the city of Haran. He obeyed and left with his wife Sarai, his nephew Lot, and all the possessions and slaves they had gotten while in Haran.

Amplified Bible (AMP)

5 Abram took Sarai his wife, and Lot his brother’s son, and all their possessions that they had gathered, and the persons [servants] that they had acquired in Haran, and they went forth to go to the land of Canaan. When they came to the land of Canaan,

Expanded Bible (EXB)

5 He took his wife Sarai, ·his nephew [L the son of his brother] Lot, and everything they owned, as well as all the ·servants [L people] they had gotten in Haran. They set out from Haran, planning to go to the land of Canaan, and in time they arrived there.

Easy-to-Read Version (ERV)

5 He took his wife Sarai, his nephew Lot, all the slaves, and all the other things he had gotten in Haran. Then he and his group moved to the land of Canaan.

Contemporary English Version (CEV)

4-5 Abram was seventy-five years old when the Lord told him to leave the city of Haran. He obeyed and left with his wife Sarai, his nephew Lot, and all the possessions and slaves they had gotten while in Haran.

Quite right, thank you for pointing that out!
I was looking at got and gathered. Looked in the Hebrew and it means acquired or property.

Day 31 5/17/14 Genesis 12:10-20.

So far Abram has been a great example of faith and trust in God. Now, there is a great famine in the land where he is staying in the hill country on the east of Bethel. As a result, he decided to go down to Egypt. I have learned from the past Scriptures that Egypt is not a good place for God's people.

Now Abram, full of faith and trust in God, lets it all go and starts thinking about his own safety. All of us are in the same boat. It seems that when we are convinced that God is leading us to somewhere or something special, we can somehow have trust. Its in the middle of starting and arriving that many times our faith & trust are tested.

What in the world was Abram thinking? Apparently he didn't think God was able to protect him. Didn't God promise him that thru him God would make him a great Nation? How would God do that if the Egyptians killed him? There are times when a perceived threat can drive us to deeds that we wouldn't do when our eyes and thoughts are on the Lord instead of conditions around us, like Peter trying to walk on water.

Abram failed God's protection, but God did not fail Abram in protecting his wife Sarai and his own skin.

Considering the following scripture, should there be a parallel example of our walk in Christ applied to us now from what we read of Egypt? 1 Cor 10:11 Now all these things happened unto them for ensamples: and they are written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the world are come. Egypt represents the world and we are to look unto God instead.

Isa 19:25 Whom the LORD of hosts shall bless, saying, Blessed be Egypt my people, and Assyria the work of my hands, and Israel mine inheritance.

I dont believe this is a casual story of Abe taking off to Egypt for lack of faith.... there is something more here...Not at all saying i know what it is just that there is something...

It was not a trip to Egypt like it would be today. Leaving with your live stock the 'ranch hands' all the servants etc was not a 1 hour flight . He was still a rich man on his return ... the famine did not cost him his wealth...

What he did to Sarah, Abe was a creep.

PS Eugene i peeked :) your post was fine...

Genesis 50:20 where Joseph says God meant it for good seems to parallel also and I think indicate that God will use egypt or other countries to satisfy the needs of His set apart people when He wants to....

oh oh.... careful, (gently) ... Abraham was a man of faith. God's 'anointed' very dramatically chosen by God. Remember what happened when Aaron spoke against God's anointed... ? (leprosy,I think)...... be careful at least, what is spoken against any of God's people set apart. and when King David's wife spoke against David dancing ... ... ... consider God's viewpoint, what is in Scripture...

As in the trip to Egypt that is more to the story of Abraham lying about who Sarah was.. There is reason this story is told... It does show Abraham as a man it shows his weakness...Why? Why is this story in the scripture?
As a wife what he did was really really bad... Giving over his wife to be used as a concubine .... in a strange land ...there is some reason this story is here...

She was never used as a concubine('known' biblically by pharaoh or anyone but Abraham). He didn't give her over to be used as a concubine. (or does Scripture say so somewhere ? )
and the reason for the Scripture is just as Yhwh says, for us to learn from :) . Like about God's Sovereignty, Sarah's faith and obedience, God's control over the authorities we have to live in , under, near, by , or whatever.... (He shut all the wombs of Pharaoh's household for two years I think, not sure of the details, but it was sure Divine Action and recognized as such.... )

Last edited by a moderator:
Considering the following scripture, should there be a parallel example of our walk in Christ applied to us now from what we read of Egypt? 1 Cor 10:11 Now all these things happened unto them for ensamples: and they are written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the world are come. Egypt represents the world and we are to look unto God instead.

Absolutely old Buddy, There are so many lessons that can be learned from these studies of early life on earth. Now if only we can put to use these things and not forget them.

Genesis 50:20 where Joseph says God meant it for good seems to parallel also and I think indicate that God will use egypt or other countries to satisfy the needs of His set apart people when He wants to....

oh oh.... careful, (gently) ... Abraham was a man of faith. God's 'anointed' very dramatically chosen by God. Remember what happened when Aaron spoke against God's anointed... ? (leprosy,I think)...... be careful at least, what is spoken against any of God's people set apart. and when King David's wife spoke against David dancing ... ... ... consider God's viewpoint, what is in Scripture...

Good advise Jeff.

She was never used as a concubine('known' biblically by pharaoh or anyone but Abraham). He didn't give her over to be used as a concubine. (or does Scripture say so somewhere ? )
and the reason for the Scripture is just as Yhwh says, for us to learn from :) . Like about God's Sovereignty, Sarah's faith and obedience, God's control over the authorities we have to live in , under, near, by , or whatever.... (He shut all the wombs of Pharaoh's household for two years I think, not sure of the details, but it was sure Divine Action and recognized as such.... )
I agree with what you say note i did not say she was used as a concubine... or did not mean for my words to imply she was ..God intervened they were safe.. They would not take his wife they would take his sister ... he put her out there.

Thinking about this.... I Believe Abraham was a Godly man .. a wonderful man of faith..IMO this shows that he was also human and made a mistake. It does not diminish Abe in my eyes. It is akin to the Story of King David (the cheater murderer ) yet a man after God's own heart...

I am not aniti Abraham ...

Last edited:
As in the trip to Egypt that is more to the story of Abraham lying about who Sarah was.. There is reason this story is told... It does show Abraham as a man it shows his weakness...Why? Why is this story in the scripture?
As a wife what he did was really really bad... Giving over his wife to be used as a concubine .... in a strange land ...there is some reason this story is here...

I'm glad that you brought this up Reba. IMO this whole event has been set up by the Almighty. First, God tested Abram's resolve to continue on his trip to Canaan and not return to Haran where he and Sarai had lived for five years. There was plenty of food there, and this famine might have caused Abram to think that it was a sign from God to return. Abram passed the test but God had more for Abram to learn about himself.

I believe that "the rest of the story" is wrapped up in how Abram would handle going down to Egypt. I would imagine that Abram must have thought that he was special because God wasn't speaking to anyone else, just him. Since God understands what is in a mans heart and thoughts, Abram might have developed some pride and self worth. Since Egypt was noted for a nation of lustful people, and even though Sarai was 65 years old, she was probably fair skinned with good features. Egyptian women's skin was a darkened complexion making Sarai more desirable.

Instead of trusting God for the outcome of their temporary stay in Egypt, Abram looked within himself for a remedy. They were expelled from Egypt, but not without an important lesson learned about faith in God that when He directs someone to go somewhere, He has already prepared the way. Abram learned this important lesson which will help him in the future. Therefore I believe the whole event was designed to teach Abram & Sarai to trust God for everything and not their own strength or wisdom.

Hey Rebs. I think we have a clue in why Abraham did this.

Gen 12:12 KJV Therefore it shall come to pass, when the Egyptians shall see thee, that they shall say, This is his wife: and they will kill me, but they will save thee alive.

I'm guessing back then if you pinched another man's wife the usual thing was to kill him to avoid retribution from the husband. ( pagans ) So either way he thought Sarah would be taken because she was a stunner ( apologies Sister Sarah ) and it would be better for them both if he remained alive maybe ?

Back