Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Depending upon the Holy Spirit for all you do?

Read through the following study by Tenchi for more on this topic

https://christianforums.net/threads/without-the-holy-spirit-we-can-do-nothing.109419/

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

https://christianforums.net/forums/questions-and-answers/

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Bible Study WELCOME TO A DEEP LOOK AT GENESIS

So either way he thought Sarah would be taken because she was a stunner ( apologies Sister Sarah ) and it would be better for them both if he remained alive maybe ?

In Gen. 17:17 we see that Sarah was 10 years younger than Abraham. Gen. 12:4 tells us that Abraham was 75 when he left Haran, and this is sometime after that. Sarah was at least 65 years old when this happened. That doesn't mean she couldn't have been a "stunner", as you put it. Since they were both past the normal age for having children, some people believe that God made them both physically younger so that they could have a child.

The TOG​

ooops.... dead a thousand years ??? >>> what about >>>
:)

Matthew 22:31-32
Contemporary English Version (CEV)

31 And as for people being raised to life, God was speaking to you when he said, 32 “I am the God worshiped by Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.” He isn’t the God of the dead, but of the living.

Footnotes:

1. 22.32 I am the God worshiped by Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob: Jesus argues that if God is worshiped by these three, they must still be alive, because he is the God of the living.

............................................................................................................
Matthew 22:31-32
Amplified Bible (AMP)
31 But as to the resurrection of the dead—have you never read what was said to you by God,
32 I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob? He is not the God of the dead but of the living!

:) Maybe Abraham has talked with @Auga huh? I do agree ... His is the God of the living....

Sometimes I question that Reba, especially when I look in the mirror in the morning. It looks like He's the God of the dying. :hysterical Anyway, I have stopped looking in the mirror so I believe He's the God of the living, err, almost! :couch

you men stick together :hips even when one is dead a few thousand years...

I think you understand my thinking Chopper thanks

You better believe it Sister :D

:) Maybe Abraham has talked with @Auga huh? I do agree ... His is the God of the living....

Rebs what would be better in your eyes. Brother Abraham says " no you can't have Sarah she's my wife" and be killed and they take her or " Sarah is my sister" and not be killed and they take her. I know I know you probably prefer the chivalrous one and I spose we could say Abraham wasn't trusting God would protect him etc. I think common sense still has it's place even though most men would rather die. Can we maybe think Abraham knew God would return Sarah to him ?

In Gen. 17:17 we see that Sarah was 10 years younger than Abraham. Gen. 12:4 tells us that Abraham was 75 when he left Haran, and this is sometime after that. Sarah was at least 65 years old when this happened. That doesn't mean she couldn't have been a "stunner", as you put it. Since they were both past the normal age for having children, some people believe that God made them both physically younger so that they could have a child.

The TOG​
I personally believe Abrahamm and Sarah were made young again because we read in Genesis 18:10 And he said, I will certainly return unto thee according to the time of life; and, lo, Sarah thy wife shall have a son. And Sarah heard it in the tent door, which was behind him.

It happens again and at ninety years of age Sarah is taken from Abraham again.
Genesis 20:2 And Abraham said of Sarah his wife, She is my sister: and Abimelech king of Gerar sent, and took Sarah.

Sarah lives to be one hundred and twenty-seven yearas old. Gen 23:1 And Sarah was an hundred and seven and twenty years old: these were the years of the life of Sarah. This means Abraham was chronologically one hundred and thirty-seven years old.
Gen 24:1 And Abraham was old, and well stricken in age: and the LORD had blessed Abraham in all things. Before being made young again Abraham just couldn't produce chrildren.

BUT
Gen 25:1 Then again Abraham took a wife, and her name was Keturah.
Gen 25:2 And she bare him Zimran, and Jokshan, and Medan, and Midian, and Ishbak, and Shuah.
Pretty good for a man Abraham's age huh?

Last edited:
You better believe it Sister :biggrin

Rebs what would be better in your eyes. Brother Abraham says " no you can't have Sarah she's my wife" and be killed and they take her or " Sarah is my sister" and not be killed and they take her. I know I know you probably prefer the chivalrous one and I spose we could say Abraham wasn't trusting God would protect him etc. I think common sense still has it's place even though most men would rather die. Can we maybe think Abraham knew God would return Sarah to him ?
He was worried about his own skin...
Gen 12:12 KJV Therefore it shall come to pass, when the Egyptians shall see thee, that they shall say, This is his wife: and they will kill me, but they will save thee alive.

He was willing to give her to them to save his life this great and powerful God honored man did what most of us would do sorta like Adam toss it off to the woman.... Thank you Lord for the grace you have shown to women. Jesus is our friend :hug....... The same grace that saved them both he did not trust... we often do the same today. The fact that Abe was a failed human does in no way lessen his greatness as a man of faith ( not sure how to say this) it makes him more real and there a better study of faith... Sarah should have blasted him with the frying pan ...

Can we maybe think Abraham knew God would return Sarah to him ?
sure you can say that you just did. :tongue
It does not ring true to me... if that was the case he would have trusted from the beginning.

I personally believe Abrahamm and Sarah were made young again because we read in Genesis 18:10 And he said, I will certainly return unto thee according to the time of life; and, lo, Sarah thy wife shall have a son. And Sarah heard it in the tent door, which was behind him.
That is what i have been taught...:thumbsup

:chair
He was worried about his own skin...
Gen 12:12 KJV Therefore it shall come to pass, when the Egyptians shall see thee, that they shall say, This is his wife: and they will kill me, but they will save thee alive.

He was willing to give her to them to save his life this great and powerful God honored man did what most of us would do sorta like Adam toss it off to the woman.... Thank you Lord for the grace you have shown to women. Jesus is our friend :hug....... The same grace that saved them both he did not trust... we often do the same today. The fact that Abe was a failed human does in no way lessen his greatness as a man of faith ( not sure how to say this) it makes him more real and there a better study of faith... Sarah should have blasted him with the frying pan ...

sure you can say that you just did. :tongue
It does not ring true to me... if that was the case he would have trusted from the beginning.

Ok Rebs it's fine to always think with the heart instead of the head. Or is it :biggrin Sarah maybe wouldn't have had a hubby to :chair if Abraham didn't do what he did but at least Sarah could say " Oh my man did the right thing I love him so much wish he wasn't dead ". I'm thinking now will be a good time to shut my cake hole :D

Abram didn't just keep his life, he left a much wealthier man.

Gen 12:13 say, I pray thee, thou art my sister, so that it is well with me because of thee, and my soul hath lived for thy sake.'
Gen 12:16 and to Abram he hath done good because of her, and he hath sheep and oxen, and he-asses, and men-servants, and handmaids, and she-asses, and camels.

I wonder if one of those handmaids was Hagar?
Gen 16:1 And Sarai, Abram's wife, hath not borne to him, and she hath an handmaid, an Egyptian, and her name is Hagar;

Gen 13:1 And Abram went up out of Egypt, he, and his wife, and all that he had, and Lot with him, into the south.
Gen 13:2 And Abram was very rich in cattle, in silver, and in gold.
Gen 13:3 And he went on his journeys from the south even to Bethel, unto the place where his tent had been at the beginning, between Bethel and Hai;
Gen 13:4 Unto the place of the altar, which he had made there at the first: and there Abram called on the name of the LORD.
Gen 13:5 And Lot also, which went with Abram, had flocks, and herds, and tents.
Gen 13:6 And the land was not able to bear them, that they might dwell together: for their substance was great, so that they could not dwell together.
Gen 13:7 And there was a strife between the herdmen of Abram's cattle and the herdmen of Lot's cattle: and the Canaanite and the Perizzite dwelled then in the land.
Gen 13:8 And Abram said unto Lot, Let there be no strife, I pray thee, between me and thee, and between my herdmen and thy herdmen; for we be brethren.
Gen 13:9 Is not the whole land before thee? separate thyself, I pray thee, from me: if thou wilt take the left hand, then I will go to the right; or if thou depart to the right hand, then I will go to the left.
Gen 13:10 And Lot lifted up his eyes, and beheld all the plain of Jordan, that it was well watered every where, before the LORD destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah, even as the garden of the LORD, like the land of Egypt, as thou comest unto Zoar.
Gen 13:11 Then Lot chose him all the plain of Jordan; and Lot journeyed east: and they separated themselves the one from the other.
Gen 13:12 Abram dwelled in the land of Canaan, and Lot dwelled in the cities of the plain, and pitched his tent toward Sodom.
Gen 13:13 But the men of Sodom were wicked and sinners before the LORD exceedingly.
Gen 13:14 And the LORD said unto Abram, after that Lot was separated from him, Lift up now thine eyes, and look from the place where thou art northward, and southward, and eastward, and westward:
Gen 13:15 For all the land which thou seest, to thee will I give it, and to thy seed for ever.
Gen 13:16 And I will make thy seed as the dust of the earth: so that if a man can number the dust of the earth, then shall thy seed also be numbered.
Gen 13:17 Arise, walk through the land in the length of it and in the breadth of it; for I will give it unto thee.
Gen 13:18 Then Abram removed his tent, and came and dwelt in the plain of Mamre, which is in Hebron, and built there an altar unto the LORD

Day 32 5/18/14 Genesis 13:1-18 Abram & Lot separate.

Here we have Abram, Sarai, and their possessions, and herds, along with Lot, his possessions and herds. Since they are in a land already inhabited by the Canaanites & Perizzites, the pastureland would be challenged.

It's a sad fact that when two groups of people share the same space, in time, problems arise for one reason or another. Here, the herdsmen of both camps found reasons to argue and cause strife between Abram and Lot.

At this point, I assume that Abram was chewing on "humble pie" because back in Egypt he failed to protect Sarai. In doing so, he put Sarai in great danger with these lustful Egyptian men. She could have been raped, or even killed, Abram had no way to tell. I can tell you, I would never put my wife in that situation. I can just imagine that Sarai feared for her life. Perhaps she had more faith in the protection of God than her husband. Anyway, Abram did it to save his own life.

Not only did Abram have that failure, and sin against his Wife IMO, but he probably was reminded of his failure every time he looked at her. Sarai probably didn't let him forget it for a while, although she was a very godly woman.

Abram does a very unselfish deed by allowing Lot to choose first a permanent dwelling place for him, and all that he possessed. Unfortunately, he chose the very wicked city of Sodom to dwell near or in.

Abram chose Canaan to dwell at the Oaks of Mamre at Hebron. He built an altar so he could worship and call upon the Lord.

Back