Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Depending upon the Holy Spirit for all you do?

Read through the following study by Tenchi for more on this topic

https://christianforums.net/threads/without-the-holy-spirit-we-can-do-nothing.109419/

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

https://christianforums.net/forums/questions-and-answers/

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Bible Study WELCOME TO A DEEP LOOK AT GENESIS

Sorry folks, not having a good day! I'll try and post this.

Day 33 5/19/14 Genesis 14:1-16 Abram to the rescue.

Here we have the first trouble that Lot experiences because of his decision to live close to a wicked city, with ungodly people. It reminds me of whenever one of my nephews got into a jam, uncle Chopper had to come to the rescue.

When five Canaanite cities rebelled against their four Mesopotamian overlords, the four kings led a campain to recover their control over the regeon. The campain came to a head at the Siddim Valley, and Abram's nephew Lot who decided to live in, or near, Sodom, was captured. When Abram found out, he and his trained fighting men, 318 of them, pursued the four kings and their armies to Dan, where they attacked and rescued Lot, and chased the kings a little North of Damascus.

The amazing thing to me is the vast area covered by Abram and his little "band of brothers". I'm not sure if they had horses or not. It looks to me like about a 100 mile march from Mamre, where Abram was living, to Dan where the battle took place to rescue Lot, then went another 55 or 60 miles where they chased the kings and their armies to Habah.

Not only were the men in Abram's little army strong and able to march long distances, but Abram was a military geneous to defeat many men with so few. Certainly the "Captain of the Host" was with them!

Sorry folks, not having a good day! I'll try and post this.

Day 33 5/19/14 Genesis 14:1-16 Abram to the rescue.

Here we have the first trouble that Lot experiences because of his decision to live close to a wicked city, with ungodly people. It reminds me of whenever one of my nephews got into a jam, uncle Chopper had to come to the rescue.

When five Canaanite cities rebelled against their four Mesopotamian overlords, the four kings led a campain to recover their control over the regeon. The campain came to a head at the Siddim Valley, and Abram's nephew Lot who decided to live in, or near, Sodom, was captured. When Abram found out, he and his trained fighting men, 318 of them, pursued the four kings and their armies to Dan, where they attacked and rescued Lot, and chased the kings a little North of Damascus.

The amazing thing to me is the vast area covered by Abram and his little "band of brothers". I'm not sure if they had horses or not. It looks to me like about a 100 mile march from Mamre, where Abram was living, to Dan where the battle took place to rescue Lot, then went another 55 or 60 miles where they chased the kings and their armies to Habah.

Not only were the men in Abram's little army strong and able to march long distances, but Abram was a military geneous to defeat many men with so few. Certainly the "Captain of the Host" was with them!

I think you are right on in the miles Abram traveled. I don't think they had horses only donkeys and camels. Here's a kinda' neat site with a Barnes Bible Chart of all Abraham's travels. I hadn't thought about these distances before. http://biblecharts.org/oldtestament/journeysofabrahamone.pdf

I think you are right on in the miles Abram traveled. I don't think they had horses only donkeys and camels. Here's a kinda' neat site with a Barnes Bible Chart of all Abraham's travels. I hadn't thought about these distances before. http://biblecharts.org/oldtestament/journeysofabrahamone.pdf

Thanks for that Deb. I looked at a map while I was studying, and was surprised at the many miles that they had to travel. Sometimes we don't realize just how capable these early men and women were.

Gen 14:1 And it came to pass in the days of Amraphel king of Shinar, Arioch king of Ellasar, Chedorlaomer king of Elam, and Tidal king of nations;
Gen 14:2 That these made war with Bera king of Sodom, and with Birsha king of Gomorrah, Shinab king of Admah, and Shemeber king of Zeboiim, and the king of Bela, which is Zoar.
Gen 14:3 All these were joined together in the vale of Siddim, which is the salt sea.
Gen 14:4 Twelve years they served Chedorlaomer, and in the thirteenth year they rebelled.
Gen 14:5 And in the fourteenth year came Chedorlaomer, and the kings that were with him, and smote the Rephaims in Ashteroth Karnaim, and the Zuzims in Ham, and the Emims in Shaveh Kiriathaim,
Gen 14:6 And the Horites in their mount Seir, unto Elparan, which is by the wilderness.
Gen 14:7 And they returned, and came to Enmishpat, which is Kadesh, and smote all the country of the Amalekites, and also the Amorites, that dwelt in Hazezontamar.
Gen 14:8 And there went out the king of Sodom, and the king of Gomorrah, and the king of Admah, and the king of Zeboiim, and the king of Bela (the same is Zoar;) and they joined battle with them in the vale of Siddim;
Gen 14:9 With Chedorlaomer the king of Elam, and with Tidal king of nations, and Amraphel king of Shinar, and Arioch king of Ellasar; four kings with five.
Gen 14:10 And the vale of Siddim was full of slimepits; and the kings of Sodom and Gomorrah fled, and fell there; and they that remained fled to the mountain.
Gen 14:11 And they took all the goods of Sodom and Gomorrah, and all their victuals, and went their way.
Gen 14:12 And they took Lot, Abram's brother's son, who dwelt in Sodom, and his goods, and departed.
Gen 14:13 And there came one that had escaped, and told Abram the Hebrew; for he dwelt in the plain of Mamre the Amorite, brother of Eshcol, and brother of Aner: and these were confederate with Abram.
Gen 14:14 And when Abram heard that his brother was taken captive, he armed his trained servants, born in his own house, three hundred and eighteen, and pursued them unto Dan.
Gen 14:15 And he divided himself against them, he and his servants, by night, and smote them, and pursued them unto Hobah, which is on the left hand of Damascus.
Gen 14:16 And he brought back all the goods, and also brought again his brother Lot, and his goods, and the women also, and the people.

Day 34 5/20/14 Genesis 14:17-24 Melchizedek.

In this section, I'd like everyone to post who you think Melchizedek is?

There are quite a few opinions as to who this Priest is. Jewish writers have their belief, and Christian writers have theirs. Who do you say he is?

Day 34 5/20/14 Genesis 14:17-24 Melchizedek.

In this section, I'd like everyone to post who you think Melchizedek is?
Dear Brother Chopper, somewhere I believe I have posted this thought before, but will go into this again here.

Jesus was not Melchisedec, His priesthood was after the order of Melchisedec; in other words it was the same type of priesthood. That priesthood of Melchisedec didn't have a beginning of days; there is no record of his birth or death, and no family history was needed such as with the Aaronic priesthood requiring they be a Levite. There was no ending of days for Melchisedec's priesthood such as the 20 year duration of the Aaronic priesthood. Melchisedec was a king, and Jesus is a king; the earthly kingdom of Jerusalem was not the heavenly Jerusalem.

Hebrews 7:3 says Melchisedec was "made like unto the Son of God;" abideth a priest continually. Why would Melchisedec have to be made like unto the Son of God if He was the Son of God? We also are changed from glory to glory into the image of Christ, and our lives like unto the Son of God has no end.

Shem
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melchizedek (avoid the obvious faults and falsehoods, prayerfully; test everything)
very delightful reading (found in 3 seconds web search, then a while to peruse and read).
no known way to verify or prove one or the other.

but Shem sure looks interesting. and happy reading :) ....... .... ...

Gen 14:17 And the king of Sodom went out to meet him after his return from the slaughter of Chedorlaomer, and of the kings that were with him, at the valley of Shaveh, which is the king's dale.
Gen 14:18 And Melchizedek king of Salem brought forth bread and wine: and he was the priest of the most high God.
Gen 14:19 And he blessed him, and said, Blessed be Abram of the most high God, possessor of heaven and earth:
Gen 14:20 And blessed be the most high God, which hath delivered thine enemies into thy hand. And he gave him tithes of all.
Gen 14:21 And the king of Sodom said unto Abram, Give me the persons, and take the goods to thyself.
Gen 14:22 And Abram said to the king of Sodom, I have lift up mine hand unto the LORD, the most high God, the possessor of heaven and earth,
Gen 14:23 That I will not take from a thread even to a shoelatchet, and that I will not take any thing that is thine, lest thou shouldest say, I have made Abram rich:
Gen 14:24 Save only that which the young men have eaten, and the portion of the men which went with me, Aner, Eshcol, and Mamre; let them take their portion.

Dear Brother Chopper, somewhere I believe I have posted this thought before, but will go into this again here.

Jesus was not Melchisedec, His priesthood was after the order of Melchisedec; in other words it was the same type of priesthood. That priesthood of Melchisedec didn't have a beginning of days; there is no record of his birth or death, and no family history was needed such as with the Aaronic priesthood requiring they be a Levite. There was no ending of days for Melchisedec's priesthood such as the 20 year duration of the Aaronic priesthood. Melchisedec was a king, and Jesus is a king; the earthly kingdom of Jerusalem was not the heavenly Jerusalem.

Hebrews 7:3 says Melchisedec was "made like unto the Son of God;" abideth a priest continually. Why would Melchisedec have to be made like unto the Son of God if He was the Son of God? We also are changed from glory to glory into the image of Christ, and our lives like unto the Son of God has no end.

Cool Eugene. There's another possibility imo about who Melchisedec was that is even more controversial for some. "Made like unto the Son of God " may also imply an Angel and would explain his heritage etc. Apparently at Qumran there was some evidence that people saw him as an Angel. Interesting.

Oh my answer is I don't know who he was really.

Cool Eugene. There's another possibility imo about who Melchisedec was that is even more controversial for some. "Made like unto the Son of God " may also imply an Angel and would explain his heritage etc. Apparently at Qumran there was some evidence that people saw him as an Angel. Interesting.
Oh my answer is I don't know who he was really.

He was the pre-incarnate manifestation of Jesus.
Heb 7:2-3
First, the name Melchizedek means “king of righteousness”; then also, “king of Salem” means “king of peace.” Without father or mother, without genealogy, without beginning of days or end of life, resembling the Son of God, he remains a priest forever.

I'm with you Stan, my bearded friend. We belong to the "Bearded Bush Brethren" and we know all things! :lol Another sign is what this Melchizedek did, He brought out bread and wine to the weary yet victorious warriors. Sort of an early communion service. I also believe that Jesus, being the Captain of the host was responsible for the victory of such a small band of men conquering such a large army of the four kings. So an pre-incarnate appearance of Jesus Christ make sense to me. Plus, being a faithful Baptist, that is what I was taught at my Baptist Bible College, got to be right, right? :rolleyes

I've never heard of him being Shem before, but I don't believe that Melchizedek was Jesus, as some say. He was a priest of God Most High (Gen. 14:18). That shows that, although God specifically chose Abram, He also had other worshipers and even priests. God is not only God of the Jews, but also of the Gentiles (Rom. 3:29).

The TOG​

My pastor made the statement: “Melchizedek presents only the memorials of sacrifice, bread and wine.” My thoughts on that is that Jesus is the bread and the wine.

John 6:33 For the bread of God is he which cometh down from heaven, and giveth life unto the world.

1 Cor 10:16 The cup of blessing which we bless, is it not the communion of the blood of Christ? The bread which we break, is it not the communion of the body of Christ?

Back