Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Depending upon the Holy Spirit for all you do?

Read through the following study by Tenchi for more on this topic

https://christianforums.net/threads/without-the-holy-spirit-we-can-do-nothing.109419/

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

https://christianforums.net/forums/questions-and-answers/

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Bible Study WELCOME TO A DEEP LOOK AT GENESIS

I'm with you Stan, my bearded friend. We belong to the "Bearded Bush Brethren" and we know all things! :lol Another sign is what this Melchizedek did, He brought out bread and wine to the weary yet victorious warriors. Sort of an early communion service. I also believe that Jesus, being the Captain of the host was responsible for the victory of such a small band of men conquering such a large army of the four kings. So an pre-incarnate appearance of Jesus Christ make sense to me. Plus, being a faithful Baptist, that is what I was taught at my Baptist Bible College, got to be right, right? :rolleyes

LOL....yours looks more kept than mine chopper but OK by me. I'm a joiner.
Now I want to be clear here. Melchizedek was NOT Jesus as Jesus was born, but He was a pre-incarnate manifestation of the Word. I trust all will see the difference. As I am a Pentecostal, I won't touch the Baptist comment. :cool2

I've never heard of him being Shem before, but I don't believe that Melchizedek was Jesus, as some say. He was a priest of God Most High (Gen. 14:18). That shows that, although God specifically chose Abram, He also had other worshipers and even priests. God is not only God of the Jews, but also of the Gentiles (Rom. 3:29).

The TOG​

I'm getting slow, I just got your signature file. :biggrin2
Seriously though, I should have been clearer, He was NOT Jesus, He was a pre-incarnate manifestation of The WORD.

LOL....yours looks more kept than mine chopper but OK by me. I'm a joiner.
Now I want to be clear here. Melchizedek was NOT Jesus as Jesus was born, but He was a pre-incarnate manifestation of the Word. I trust all will see the difference. As I am a Pentecostal, I won't touch the Baptist comment. :cool2

LOL, I studied under a Pentecostal Pastor/Teacher who was the president of a Bible Institute in Portland Maine. I am now called a Bapti-Costal. :woot2

ok the meribah and the word are the same. jesus. so melchiizadek isn't jesus then because of what?

ok the meribah and the word are the same. jesus. so melchiizadek isn't jesus then because of what?

No the Word BECAME flesh, Jesus, and dwelt among us. Before Jesus, the Word manifested Himself in a few ways, as in Melchizedek and the human manifestation that wrestled with Jacob.

No the Word BECAME flesh, Jesus, and dwelt among us. Before Jesus, the Word manifested Himself in a few ways, as in Melchizedek and the human manifestation that wrestled with Jacob.
ok but that is still god. I misunderstood you earlier

In Gen. 17:17 we see that Sarah was 10 years younger than Abraham. Gen. 12:4 tells us that Abraham was 75 when he left Haran, and this is sometime after that. Sarah was at least 65 years old when this happened. That doesn't mean she couldn't have been a "stunner", as you put it. Since they were both past the normal age for having children, some people believe that God made them both physically younger so that they could have a child.

The TOG​
Just now heard this spoken from the computer /biblegateway/ audio reading through Scripture. >
(knew it before, but didn't know specific)(that's why this post is 'late')

Bereshis 21:7
Orthodox Jewish Bible (OJB)

7 And she said, Who would have said unto Avraham, that Sarah should nurse banim? for I have borne him ben in his old age.

Day 35 5/21/14 Genesis 15:1-21 A Covenant.

This Chapter opens with Abram's concern that he is without a son, after all, God was making great claims about land and descendents who would come thru his son to occupy this new land.

Perhaps there was a little fear in his mind because he and Sarai were not "spring chickens". For whatever reasons, the Lord said "fear not". Several things come to my mind, God will produce a son thru him and Sarai, and the Lord being his "Shield" meant that even though Abram had defeated the armies of the four kings, and there would be a threat that they would re-group and wage war against Abram, God would protect them as He had done before.

In V.6, Abram's faith in God was monumental! "He believed the Lord, and He counted it to him as righteousness." Abram received a prophecy of the future 400 years as well as a binding Covenant from the Lord to Abram that all these things will come to pass.

Gen 15:1 After these things the word of the LORD came unto Abram in a vision, saying, Fear not, Abram: I am thy shield, and thy exceeding great reward.
Gen 15:2 And Abram said, Lord GOD, what wilt thou give me, seeing I go childless, and the steward of my house is this Eliezer of Damascus?
Gen 15:3 And Abram said, Behold, to me thou hast given no seed: and, lo, one born in my house is mine heir.
Gen 15:4 And, behold, the word of the LORD came unto him, saying, This shall not be thine heir; but he that shall come forth out of thine own bowels shall be thine heir.
Gen 15:5 And he brought him forth abroad, and said, Look now toward heaven, and tell the stars, if thou be able to number them: and he said unto him, So shall thy seed be.
Gen 15:6 And he believed in the LORD; and he counted it to him for righteousness.
Gen 15:7 And he said unto him, I am the LORD that brought thee out of Ur of the Chaldees, to give thee this land to inherit it.
Gen 15:8 And he said, Lord GOD, whereby shall I know that I shall inherit it?
Gen 15:9 And he said unto him, Take me an heifer of three years old, and a she goat of three years old, and a ram of three years old, and a turtledove, and a young pigeon.
Gen 15:10 And he took unto him all these, and divided them in the midst, and laid each piece one against another: but the birds divided he not.
Gen 15:11 And when the fowls came down upon the carcases, Abram drove them away.
Gen 15:12 And when the sun was going down, a deep sleep fell upon Abram; and, lo, an horror of great darkness fell upon him.
Gen 15:13 And he said unto Abram, Know of a surety that thy seed shall be a stranger in a land that is not theirs, and shall serve them; and they shall afflict them four hundred years;
Gen 15:14 And also that nation, whom they shall serve, will I judge: and afterward shall they come out with great substance.
Gen 15:15 And thou shalt go to thy fathers in peace; thou shalt be buried in a good old age.
Gen 15:16 But in the fourth generation they shall come hither again: for the iniquity of the Amorites is not yet full.
Gen 15:17 And it came to pass, that, when the sun went down, and it was dark, behold a smoking furnace, and a burning lamp that passed between those pieces.
Gen 15:18 In the same day the LORD made a covenant with Abram, saying, Unto thy seed have I given this land, from the river of Egypt unto the great river, the river Euphrates:
Gen 15:19 The Kenites, and the Kenizzites, and the Kadmonites,
Gen 15:20 And the Hittites, and the Perizzites, and the Rephaims,
Gen 15:21 And the Amorites, and the Canaanites, and the Girgashites, and the Jebusites.

Gen 15:13 And he said unto Abram, Know of a surety that thy seed shall be a stranger in a land that is not theirs, and shall serve them; and they shall afflict them four hundred years;
Gen 15:16 But in the fourth generation they shall come hither again: for the iniquity of the Amorites is not yet full.
Gen 15:18 In the same day the LORD made a covenant with Abram, saying, Unto thy seed have I given this land, from the river of Egypt unto the great river, the river Euphrates:

"..... Unto thy seed. " :) not "seeds" (becomes important later, not that it's not important to start with ("..every Word of God..").

Does anyone have insight into verses ?

Why did Abram cut them in half?

Gen 15:9 And he said unto him, Take me an heifer of three years old, and a she goat of three years old, and a ram of three years old, and a turtledove, and a young pigeon.
Gen 15:10 And he took unto him all these, and divided them in the midst, and laid each piece one against another: but the birds divided he not.

And this one?
Gen 15:17 And it came to pass, that, when the sun went down, and it was dark, behold a smoking furnace, and a burning lamp that passed between those pieces.

Back