Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Depending upon the Holy Spirit for all you do?

Read through the following study by Tenchi for more on this topic

https://christianforums.net/threads/without-the-holy-spirit-we-can-do-nothing.109419/

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

https://christianforums.net/forums/questions-and-answers/

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Bible Study WELCOME TO A DEEP LOOK AT GENESIS

LOL, I studied under a Pentecostal Pastor/Teacher who was the president of a Bible Institute in Portland Maine. I am now called a Bapti-Costal. :woot2

The first church I joined was a Reformed Presbyterian church. From there I went to a Charismatic fellowship that worked with Lutehran churches. While there, I got temporarily involved with the Word of Faith movement and the Toronto Blessing. Today I don't formaly belong to any specific group or denomination, but my current beliefs and practices could probably be best described as a cross betwee Messianic Christian, Hebrew Roots, Home Church and Torah Movement. I guess that woudl make me a...

Presbycharislutherwoftorontomessihebrewhometorah Christian... Or something... :confused2

The TOG​

Does anyone have insight into verses ?

Why did Abram cut them in half?

Gen 15:9 And he said unto him, Take me an heifer of three years old, and a she goat of three years old, and a ram of three years old, and a turtledove, and a young pigeon.
Gen 15:10 And he took unto him all these, and divided them in the midst, and laid each piece one against another: but the birds divided he not.

And this one?
Gen 15:17 And it came to pass, that, when the sun went down, and it was dark, behold a smoking furnace, and a burning lamp that passed between those pieces.

That was how people made covenants back then. They would take a sacrifice, cut it in two pieces, and the parties to the covenant would walk between the pieces. It's called "cutting a covenant". I once read somethign interesting having to do with that. Ishmael was Abram's first born, but he wasn't part of the covenant. Isaac, Abram's second son, was part of the covenant. Why? It's because Ismael never "passed through the cutting", but Isaac did. Abram wasn't circumcized when Ishmael was born.

The TOG​

The first church I joined was a Reformed Presbyterian church. From there I went to a Charismatic fellowship that worked with Lutehran churches. While there, I got temporarily involved with the Word of Faith movement and the Toronto Blessing. Today I don't formaly belong to any specific group or denomination, but my current beliefs and practices could probably be best described as a cross betwee Messianic Christian, Hebrew Roots, Home Church and Torah Movement. I guess that woudl make me a...

Presbycharislutherwoftorontomessihebrewhometorah Christian... Or something... :confused2

The TOG​
:eek

That was how people made covenants back then. They would take a sacrifice, cut it in two pieces, and the parties to the covenant would walk between the pieces. It's called "cutting a covenant". I once read somethign interesting having to do with that. Ishmael was Abram's first born, but he wasn't part of the covenant. Isaac, Abram's second son, was part of the covenant. Why? It's because Ismael never "passed through the cutting", but Isaac did. Abram wasn't circumcized when Ishmael was born.

The TOG​

Thanks TOG. I understand now and it makes sense about Ishmael and Isaac, too.

The TOG​

lol, you joined the denomination of 'mutts', me too. But there is much to say for mutts, they are friendly. :)

Reactions: TOG
Day's 36 & 37 5/22 & 5/23 Today & Tomorrow Genesis Chapter 16.

I have combined these two days because I'm having a colonoscopy on Friday.

Here we have Sarai, apparently impatient for an heir to her husband. Her solution was to offer her maidservant Hagar to Abram so that a son could be born in her place....Oh great Sarai!! Now you're going to play God? Oh oh, I smell trouble coming!

As a result, Hagar does get pregnant and then gloats about it in front of Sarai. Sarai is now upset and treats Hagar with contempt. Hagar flees and heads back to her home town in Egypt. She makes it as far as Shur and the Angel of the Lord meets her with a message to return to Sarai and submit to her.

The Angel of the Lord promises Hagar a great multitude of people thru her son Ishmael. The Angel also told Hagar that God has been keeping track of all that has been happening to her.

The Angel of the Lord also prophesies what these people born from her son Ishmael will be like. "A wild donkey of a man, his hand against everyone and everyone's hand against him". That certainly has held true as far as the nations of Islam are concerned.

Thanks Reba, today and tomorrow will be kinda messed up cus I have to get ready for my colonoscopy tomorrow at Noon.
Chopper I thought the procedure was tomorrow? The hard part; the diet starts today along with plenty of a special liquid tonight. :yes

Blessings in Christ Jesus.

KJV
Gen 16:13 And she called the name of the LORD that spake unto her, Thou God seest me: for she said, Have I also here looked after him that seeth me?
Gen 16:14 Wherefore the well was called Beerlahairoi; behold, it is between Kadesh and Bered.

I think it is interesting what Hagar says. She appears to say that she was calling on or seeking help from God and when He speaks to her she recognizes that He actual saw her in her affliction.
She is sitting at the well in Shur, she dedicates the well calling it Beerlahairoi which means, Him who lives and sees me (or lifted up). (per esword note)

Does anyone have insight into verses ?

Why did Abram cut them in half?

Gen 15:9 And he said unto him, Take me an heifer of three years old, and a she goat of three years old, and a ram of three years old, and a turtledove, and a young pigeon.
Gen 15:10 And he took unto him all these, and divided them in the midst, and laid each piece one against another: but the birds divided he not.

And this one?
Gen 15:17 And it came to pass, that, when the sun went down, and it was dark, behold a smoking furnace, and a burning lamp that passed between those pieces.
Try Matt H.

The TOG​

Chopper I thought the procedure was tomorrow? The hard part; the diet starts today along with plenty of a special liquid tonight. :yes

Blessings in Christ Jesus.

It is tomorrow. You are right, I get to drink a special treat tonight. ugg, oh well, at least I'll know what's going on in my 3 days older than dirt body. :eek

LOL, I studied under a Pentecostal Pastor/Teacher who was the president of a Bible Institute in Portland Maine. I am now called a Bapti-Costal. :woot2

That makes us even, I had a very Baptist like pastor years ago. We were Pentebaps! :tongue

It is tomorrow. You are right, I get to drink a special treat tonight. ugg, oh well, at least I'll know what's going on in my 3 days older than dirt body. :eek

A special drink for Colin . yukko ( stay close to the loo Brother )

Back