Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Depending upon the Holy Spirit for all you do?

Read through the following study by Tenchi for more on this topic

https://christianforums.net/threads/without-the-holy-spirit-we-can-do-nothing.109419/

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

https://christianforums.net/forums/questions-and-answers/

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Bible Study WELCOME TO A DEEP LOOK AT GENESIS

I've always assumed that he wanted to live in a city rather than go to the hills. Maybe he was afraid of being called a hillbilly, but more likely he liked the comforts that come with city life.

The TOG​

Initially Lot camped in tents on the plains near Sodom I think maybe he moved into town after the raid for safety.

Day 42 Wednesday 5/28/14 Genesis 19:23-38 God's Answer To Homosexuality.

I have four questions about these verses today, and perhaps some of you would like to comment on them. I love each of your answers, plus it's fun to imagine what goes thru people's minds.

1st question: Lot's Wife. In V.16 of yesterday's study, it says that the Lord was merciful to Lot in forcing him and family out of Sodom. The Angel did warn them not to look back. Now, in our study today, Mrs. Lot looked back and was put to death. Where is her mercy?

2nd question: In V.31, the firstborn daughter said "there is not a man on earth" to come in to us. No Men? What about Abraham's family?

3rd question: In V.33 it says that Lot didn't know anything about the act of sex with both girls? Really??

4th question: Once both girls were pregnant, Lot did nothing? I wonder why God didn't chastise? Mrs. Lot died for turning around, these girls committed sin IMO, and got away with it, what's with that?

The Scripture is silent concerning these incidents, but I'd like your idea's as to what you think was really happening.

2nd question: In V.31, the firstborn daughter said "there is not a man on earth" to come in to us. No Men? What about Abraham's family?

speculating on this one i think is easy

These girls were young, they were virgins. that give us a clue to their youth.... their whole world was Sodom and it was gone... they could not jump in the car and travel a few miles to the next town... there whole world was gone...

#1 Again speculating .... This story has been in my head for ever. Coloring a pillar of salt in Sunday School was boring... I dont know Hebrew , thinking "looked back' carries with it a longing... a longing for what was familiar .. She had some comforts in her home in Sodom the troubles there were 'known troubles' .. Again the fleeing was not hop in the car and drive away... Thinking her feet were sore , she was not young, body aches ... on this long hike... I doubt she had glanced back to regain her footing on the path but looked back in longing for the old familiar ways....

Mar 13:15 And let him that is on the housetop not go down into the house, neither enter therein, to take any thing out of his house:
Mar 13:16 And let him that is in the field not turn back again for to take up his garment.
Luk_9:62 And Jesus said unto him, No man, having put his hand to the plough, and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God.
Act_7:39 To whom our fathers would not obey, but thrust him from them, and in their hearts turned back again into Egypt,

IMO she shunned the Mercy went her own way

Heb 6:4 For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost,
Heb 6:5 And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come,
Heb 6:6 If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.

Day 43 Thursday 5/29/14 Genesis Chapter 20 What Again Abraham??

There is nothing said about why Abraham is moving to Gerar. From what we have read from previous Scripture, Abraham had many people and animals in his possession. It must have been quite an ordeal to move such a large group. I once co-pastored with a holiness Pentecostal revival/healing tent ministry in Portland Maine. As Bro. Reynolds went from City to City, it was no easy task setting up his huge revival tent and tearing down. So, I can just imagine how difficult it was for Abraham to move from one place to another.

Again, Abraham resorts to his wife/sister ruse once more. You'd think that he would have learned a lesson to trust in his Almighty Protector to keep him safe. Perhaps he was thinking, "well God saved the situation last time, He'll do it again." What ever was the situation, Abimelech gave Abraham a good rebuke (kick in the pants, err robe). He said, "You have done to me things that ought not to be done."

Somehow, in a strange way, God allows Abraham to keep up his little game so that God can demonstrate His almighty power and authority to those Abraham comes in contact with. In this case, Abimelech and his people.

Abraham displays his lack of faith in God, plus his assumption that Gerar is an ungodly place. Both of Abraham's decisions were not right. Once again, God comes to the rescue.

It surprises me a little that after Abraham deceives Abimelech, in God's message to Abimelech in a dream, He describes Abraham as a Prophet....I think I would have said "a Prophet? Not a very good one huh?" Anyway, this is the first mention of a Prophet in Scriptures.

The Chapter ends with God releasing His restriction on the women, and the death sentence on Abimelech and his people. He generously gives Abraham the Prophet, servants, silver, sheep and oxen.

Gen 20:1 And Abraham journeyed from thence toward the south country, and dwelled between Kadesh and Shur, and sojourned in Gerar.
Gen 20:2 And Abraham said of Sarah his wife, She is my sister: and Abimelech king of Gerar sent, and took Sarah.
Gen 20:3 But God came to Abimelech in a dream by night, and said to him, Behold, thou art but a dead man, for the woman which thou hast taken; for she is a man's wife.
Gen 20:4 But Abimelech had not come near her: and he said, Lord, wilt thou slay also a righteous nation?
Gen 20:5 Said he not unto me, She is my sister? and she, even she herself said, He is my brother: in the integrity of my heart and innocency of my hands have I done this.
Gen 20:6 And God said unto him in a dream, Yea, I know that thou didst this in the integrity of thy heart; for I also withheld thee from sinning against me: therefore suffered I thee not to touch her.
Gen 20:7 Now therefore restore the man his wife; for he is a prophet, and he shall pray for thee, and thou shalt live: and if thou restore her not, know thou that thou shalt surely die, thou, and all that are thine.
Gen 20:8 Therefore Abimelech rose early in the morning, and called all his servants, and told all these things in their ears: and the men were sore afraid.
Gen 20:9 Then Abimelech called Abraham, and said unto him, What hast thou done unto us? and what have I offended thee, that thou hast brought on me and on my kingdom a great sin? thou hast done deeds unto me that ought not to be done.
Gen 20:10 And Abimelech said unto Abraham, What sawest thou, that thou hast done this thing?
Gen 20:11 And Abraham said, Because I thought, Surely the fear of God is not in this place; and they will slay me for my wife's sake.
Gen 20:12 And yet indeed she is my sister; she is the daughter of my father, but not the daughter of my mother; and she became my wife.
Gen 20:13 And it came to pass, when God caused me to wander from my father's house, that I said unto her, This is thy kindness which thou shalt shew unto me; at every place whither we shall come, say of me, He is my brother.
Gen 20:14 And Abimelech took sheep, and oxen, and menservants, and womenservants, and gave them unto Abraham, and restored him Sarah his wife.
Gen 20:15 And Abimelech said, Behold, my land is before thee: dwell where it pleaseth thee.
Gen 20:16 And unto Sarah he said, Behold, I have given thy brother a thousand pieces of silver: behold, he is to thee a covering of the eyes, unto all that are with thee, and with all other: thus she was reproved.
Gen 20:17 So Abraham prayed unto God: and God healed Abimelech, and his wife, and his maidservants; and they bare children.
Gen 20:18 For the LORD had fast closed up all the wombs of the house of Abimelech, because of Sarah Abraham's wife.

guess many of the TV preachers are just following ol Abe.... :shame No wonder when the Isrealites came along they needed 600+ laws ....
Nuff silliness

Reading this slowly seeing hearing the words i am taken to this...
1Pe 3:5 For after this manner in the old time the holy women also, who trusted in God, adorned themselves, being in subjection unto their own husbands:
1Pe 3:6 Even as Sara obeyed Abraham, calling him lord: whose daughters ye are, as long as ye do well, and are not afraid with any amazement.

God told His prophets what to do, and they did it. Very different than worldly folk then or now.
It is astonishing to some what God's prophets did>>>>
2 Kings 2:23-25
Expanded Bible (EXB)
Boys Make Fun of Elisha
23 From there Elisha went up to Bethel. On the way some boys came out of the city and ·made fun of [mocked; jeered at; Ps. 1:1; Prov. 1:22; 3:34; 13:1; Gal. 6:7] him.

They said to him, “Go ·up too, you baldhead [away, baldy]!

Go ·up too, you baldhead [away, baldy]!” 24

Elisha turned around, looked at them, and put a curse on them in the name of the Lord.

Then two mother bears came out of the woods and ·tore [mauled] forty-two of the boys to pieces.

25 Elisha went to Mount Carmel and from there he returned to Samaria.
1 Kings 20:35-37
Complete Jewish Bible (CJB)
35 One of the members of the prophets’ guild said to another one, by the word of Adonai, “Hit me!” But the man refused to hit him. 36 Then he said to him, “Because you didn’t listen to the voice of Adonai, the moment you leave me, a lion will kill you.” No sooner had he left him than a lion found him and killed him. 37 The prophet went to another man and said, “Hit me!” The man struck him a blow and wounded him.

and Abraham, God was PROUD to be the God of Abraham >>>> (out of all the world, He chose Abraham)>>>
and we in Christ Jesus by faith are joyfully called by God "children of Abraham" --- "grafted in" btw, not naturally, but by God's Grace.

Hebrews 11:8-19

Amplified Bible (AMP)
8 [Urged on] by faith Abraham, when he was called, obeyed and went forth to a place which he was destined to receive as an inheritance; and he went, although he did not know or trouble his mind about where he was to go.
9 [Prompted] by faith he dwelt as a temporary resident in the land which was designated in the promise [of God, though he was like a stranger] in a strange country, living in tents with Isaac and Jacob, fellow heirs with him of the same promise.
10 For he was [waiting expectantly and confidently] looking forward to the city which has fixed and firm foundations, whose Architect and Builder is God.
11 Because of faith also Sarah herself received physical power to conceive a child, even when she was long past the age for it, because she considered [God] Who had given her the promise to be reliable and trustworthy and true to His word.

12 So from one man,(ABRAHAM) though he was physically as good as dead, there have sprung descendants whose number is as the stars of heaven and as countless as the innumerable sands on the seashore.
13 These people all died controlled and sustained by their faith, but not having received the tangible fulfillment of [God’s] promises, only having seen it and greeted it from a great distance by faith, and all the while acknowledging and confessing that they were strangers and temporary residents and exiles upon the earth.
14 Now those people who talk as they did show plainly that they are in search of a fatherland (their own country).
15 If they had been thinking with [homesick] remembrance of that country from which they were emigrants, they would have found constant opportunity to return to it.
16 But the truth is that they were yearning for and aspiring to a better and more desirable country, that is, a heavenly [one]. For that reason God is not ashamed to be called their God [even to be surnamed their Godthe God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob], for He has prepared a city for them.
17 By faith Abraham, when he was put to the test [while the testing of his faith was still in progress], had already brought Isaac for an offering; he who had gladly received and welcomed [God’s] promises was ready to sacrifice his only son,
18 Of whom it was said, Through Isaac shall your descendants be reckoned.
19 For he(ABRAHAM) reasoned that God was able to raise [him] up even from among the dead. Indeed in the sense that Isaac was figuratively dead [potentially sacrificed], he did [actually] receive him back from the dead.

Gen 20:15 And Abimelech said, Behold, my land is before thee: dwell where it pleaseth thee.
Gen 20:16 And unto Sarah he said, Behold, I have given thy brother a thousand pieces of silver: behold, he is to thee a covering of the eyes, unto all that are with thee, and with all other: thus she was reproved.

I think.....

Abimelech seems to me to be saying to Sarah that the thousand pieces of silver were given in his respect or understanding that she was being obedient to the wishes of her husband and that Abimelech was justifying her because of this.
Abraham was the covering of her eyes, therefore she was innocent in the deception.

God did not accuse either Abraham nor Sarah
of deception here. He never said Abraham nor Sarah did wrong in HIS Sight about this. When Adam, Cain, Moses, David, Peter did wrong in God's Sight, God said so.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Abraham is the Father of all who are children of God in Christ Jesus, the Father of all who are Faithful.
Abraham – The Father of Our Faith - National Bible Bee
Abraham – The Father of Our Faith The Bible describes Abraham as “the father of all those who believe” (Romans 4:11), and since we know it is impossible towww.biblebee.org/userfiles/resources/devotionals/Abahamd..---------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.--------------
In fact, God did not heal the wombs He shut UNTIL Abraham prayed for them. (they may have been shut several months even up to 2 years, from various readings, btw)

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=genesis 20&version=AMP
7 So now restore to the man his wife, for he is a prophet, and he will pray for you and you will live. But if you do not restore her [to him], know that you shall surely die, you and all who are yours.
biblegateway Genesis 20 MSG 17-18 Then Abraham prayed to God and God healed Abimelech, his wife and his maidservants, and they started having babies again. For God had shut down every womb in Abimelech’s household on account of Sarah, Abraham’s wife.

Seems to me God had Abinelech call Abraham on his description.
Abrahams goof ups show me we can mess up and still He covers us.. We do not have to be perfect we are covered.... We are blessed with the greatest covering... The Blood of the Lamb of God... i believe Abraham was/is covered by the same covering...

God did not accuse either Abraham nor Sarah
of deception here. He never said Abraham nor Sarah did wrong in HIS Sight about this. When Adam, Cain, Moses, David, Peter did wrong in God's Sight, God said so.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Abraham is the Father of all who are children of God in Christ Jesus, the Father of all who are Faithful.
Abraham – The Father of Our Faith - National Bible Bee
Abraham – The Father of Our Faith The Bible describes Abraham as “the father of all those who believe” (Romans 4:11), and since we know it is impossible towww.biblebee.org/userfiles/resources/devotionals/Abahamd..---------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.--------------
In fact, God did not heal the wombs He shut UNTIL Abraham prayed for them. (they may have been shut several months even up to 2 years, from various readings, btw)

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=genesis 20&version=AMP
7 So now restore to the man his wife, for he is a prophet, and he will pray for you and you will live. But if you do not restore her [to him], know that you shall surely die, you and all who are yours.
biblegateway Genesis 20 MSG 17-18 Then Abraham prayed to God and God healed Abimelech, his wife and his maidservants, and they started having babies again. For God had shut down every womb in Abimelech’s household on account of Sarah, Abraham’s wife.

Are you saying there was no deception?

I'm sticking with God's appraisal of all. (what God says about Abraham and Sarah) Adding to His Word isn't something I do on purpose. (though on accident, I once studied the most vile and wicked and deceptive practice on earth.)

Like King David, for instance - I won't ever speak against God's anointed, even if they are seeking my life.
(as He said concerning Saul , and David put to death someone who raised a hand against God's anointed.)
http://www.k9safesearch.com/search.jsp?q=did you kill saul ?&v=w&r=g

who is not a sinner saved by grace?

judas the betrayer for one.
those thrown in the lake of fire, whatever and whenever that is.
those who Jesus called sons of the devil. (until and unless they later got saved)
multitudes who Jesus tells, on Judgement Day, "be gone from Me , I never knew you".

to name a few.

Boy did i not ask that that right way :eek... let me try again...

Rom 3:23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God; Who among God's kids is sinless?

Boy did i not ask that that right way :eek... let me try again...

Rom 3:23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God; Who among God's kids is sinless?

COOL :) :wave2:poke
Whoever God doesn't hold any sins against. If He doesn't, no one can (probably, anyway, eh?)
When He says sins are gone as far as east is to the west,
or never to be remembered any more,
or blotted out (Hebrew anyone?) and gone, whether nailed to the living tree Yeshua hung on or otherwise blotted out,
for if God held sins against anyone,
who then could stand ? _ no one. ('cept Yeshua Messiah of course!)

Psalm 32:1-2
Complete Jewish Bible (CJB)
32 (0) By David. A maskil:
(1) How blessed are those whose offense is forgiven,
those whose sin is covered!
2 How blessed those to whom Adonai imputes no guilt,
in whose spirit is no deceit!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back