Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Depending upon the Holy Spirit for all you do?

Read through the following study by Tenchi for more on this topic

https://christianforums.net/threads/without-the-holy-spirit-we-can-do-nothing.109419/

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

https://christianforums.net/forums/questions-and-answers/

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Bible Study WELCOME TO A DEEP LOOK AT GENESIS

I have come to realize in these Scriptures and your responses, that what is in our heart reveals our motives. And, what is in our hearts is a reminder of just who our Lord is, and what He requires of us. Our heart is the place of correspondence with the Lord. He can speak to our hearts and He can also listen to our hearts. He is the Almighty! Nothing is hidden from His knowledge of us at any time. What an amazing Being He is, certainly deserving of my adoration and awe!

lol. but its not even a memory to me . to wit being circumcised. but I know that I wasn't done that way with the actually jewish way of the blessing and dedication. it was a medical law and I think still is that all boys are circumcised.

lol. but its not even a memory to me . to wit being circumcised. but I know that I wasn't done that way with the actually jewish way of the blessing and dedication. it was a medical law and I think still is that all boys are circumcised.

Here the parents have to give permission.

Sheesh Deb the guys are just protecting their own again... :tongue

I gotta side with the ladies on this one. Don't bash me TOG :biggrin

Day 38 Saturday 5/24/14 Genesis Chapter 17 The Covenant of Circumcision.

The "Sign of the Covenant" is circumcision which does not appear outward but is hidden. I have always wondered about that, why a sign that is not visible? Does anyone have an idea? How is anyone going to know that a man or stranger is really circumcised? The age of circumcision is eight days old.

Good to see you back on deck Chop ^5.

Even though it was hidden I think it's only a matter of time before it's revealed Chop. I'm guessing back then they didn't have doors on the loo :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Sheesh Deb the guys are just protecting their own again... :tongue

Gen 18:13 And the LORD said unto Abraham, Wherefore did Sarah laugh, saying, Shall I of a surety bear a child, which am old?

Can you see Abraham puzzled, "I am I going deaf? I didn't hear Sarah laugh or say anything?" :eek

I gotta side with the ladies on this one. Don't bash me TOG :biggrin

Good to see you back on deck Chop ^5.

Even though it was hidden I think it's only a matter of time before it's revealed Chop. I'm guessing back then they didn't have doors on the loo :D
the wife would know and well if they didn't god would slay them

the covenant had a condition

and a Promise :)

oh, and a Promise before that :) (i think)

now, what did that Scripture say about
cutting off a wife's hand:cries if she got involved in wrestling:eek2 ?? (careful! - it's not 'modest') :oops2

and a Promise :)

oh, and a Promise before that :) (i think)

now, what did that Scripture say about
cutting off a wife's hand:cries if she got involved in wrestling:eek2 ?? (careful! - it's not 'modest') :oops2

I don't think that's allowed in wrestling today either, although she would probably just forfeit the match and not get her hand cut off.

The TOG​

Day 39 Sunday 5/25/14 Genesis 18:1-15 Three Strangers.

Just as a reminder, I'm using the ESV translation.

The Chapter opens with Abraham still living at the Oaks of Mamre. Three "strangers" apparently dropped out of the sky because of the sudden appearance of these strangers. Suddenly he looks up and three men stood there. For a man of Abraham's age to get up and "run" to meet these strangers, and bow down shows to me that Abraham felt that these were no ordinary strangers. One clue to me was the third word in V.1, "Lord" meaning Jehovah Himself!

In V.3 Abraham greets them with "O Lord", meaning "Adonay" so he knew that this One Person was a heavenly Visitor, perhaps the Lord. The way Abraham treated these strangers was also indicative of Royalty because Abraham was a very rich yet he humbled himself in their presence and provided his guests with an elegant feast. Abraham, in V.8 "stood" by them as a servant, again showing his knowledge that these were holy men, even perhaps the Lord.

V.10 records the Lord relating the time of Sarah's birth of a son in her old age. Sarah's inner laughter brought a question from Jehovah, "why did Sarah laugh?" Abraham must have wondered, "I didn't hear her laugh." Since God can view our hearts, He knew!

Lastly is the famous text, "Is anything too hard for the Lord". Sarah told a lie, but the Lord did know the truth of the heart.

Last edited:
Gen 18:1 And the LORD appeared unto him in the plains of Mamre: and he sat in the tent door in the heat of the day;
Gen 18:2 And he lift up his eyes and looked, and, lo, three men stood by him: and when he saw them, he ran to meet them from the tent door, and bowed himself toward the ground,
Gen 18:3 And said, My Lord, if now I have found favour in thy sight, pass not away, I pray thee, from thy servant:
Gen 18:4 Let a little water, I pray you, be fetched, and wash your feet, and rest yourselves under the tree:
Gen 18:5 And I will fetch a morsel of bread, and comfort ye your hearts; after that ye shall pass on: for therefore are ye come to your servant. And they said, So do, as thou hast said.
Gen 18:6 And Abraham hastened into the tent unto Sarah, and said, Make ready quickly three measures of fine meal, knead it, and make cakes upon the hearth.
Gen 18:7 And Abraham ran unto the herd, and fetcht a calf tender and good, and gave it unto a young man; and he hasted to dress it.
Gen 18:8 And he took butter, and milk, and the calf which he had dressed, and set it before them; and he stood by them under the tree, and they did eat.
Gen 18:9 And they said unto him, Where is Sarah thy wife? And he said, Behold, in the tent.
Gen 18:10 And he said, I will certainly return unto thee according to the time of life; and, lo, Sarah thy wife shall have a son. And Sarah heard it in the tent door, which was behind him.
Gen 18:11 Now Abraham and Sarah were old and well stricken in age; and it ceased to be with Sarah after the manner of women.
Gen 18:12 Therefore Sarah laughed within herself, saying, After I am waxed old shall I have pleasure, my lord being old also?
Gen 18:13 And the LORD said unto Abraham, Wherefore did Sarah laugh, saying, Shall I of a surety bear a child, which am old?
Gen 18:14 Is any thing too hard for the LORD? At the time appointed I will return unto thee, according to the time of life, and Sarah shall have a son.
Gen 18:15 Then Sarah denied, saying, I laughed not; for she was afraid. And he said, Nay; but thou didst laugh.

.....for she was afraid....

very unusual or of note --- as somewhere else it is written "not having any fear" or "any sudden fear" ... for those of faith with Sarah as an example, I think.... can't remember where though....

Day 40 Monday 5/26/14 Genesis 18:16-33 How Many?

I'm always impressed when I see the word "down" when its connected with a City or people, it usually has a bad connotation. "The men set out from there, and they looked down toward Sodom." Sodom is appropriately named! The Hebrew word for Sodom is "scorch", Ha, Ha, :eekoh are they going to get scorched!! I find it interesting, sadly, that when humans, left to their own thinking, without any moral ethics, some, not all, revert to animal like behavior. I understand that sodomy is not even found in the animal kingdom, so homosexual behavior is lower than animals and is against what God intended for nature itself. Romans 1:24-32 states exactly what our LORD thinks about this terrible sin, they deserve to die. Death is what the Lord has in mind for Sodom! This is supposed to be an example to all men and women everywhere and for all times, God's standard for homosexuality, death! There are those who believe that "aids" is that judgment in our time for the sin of homosexuality, I personally believe that is correct, based on the fact that it can't be cured, and I believe won't be cured, ever!

Before going down to destroy Sodom, there was a conversation with the Lord and His two angelic companions. The Jewish Talmud (K) identifies the two as Michael, and Gabriel. Dr. Lightfoot identifies the three as the Trinity. The result was to inform Abraham of their plans to destroy Sodom if what they are noted for is true. Because thru Abraham, righteousness must be established and the sin of homosexuality will result in death, Abraham was included in these decisions for future reference.

Two of the "men" went down to scout out Sodom while Abraham stayed with the LORD (Jehovah). Abraham did not want his nephew Lot and family to be destroyed along with the Sodomites so he engages Jehovah in a numbers game. The outcome was, if there were 10 righteous people in Sodom, it would not be destroyed. What a sad outcome because only Lot and family were saved. Jehovah went His way and Abraham went home.

Gen 18:16 And the men rose up from thence, and looked toward Sodom: and Abraham went with them to bring them on the way.
Gen 18:17 And the LORD said, Shall I hide from Abraham that thing which I do;
Gen 18:18 Seeing that Abraham shall surely become a great and mighty nation, and all the nations of the earth shall be blessed in him?
Gen 18:19 For I know him, that he will command his children and his household after him, and they shall keep the way of the LORD, to do justice and judgment; that the LORD may bring upon Abraham that which he hath spoken of him.
Gen 18:20 And the LORD said, Because the cry of Sodom and Gomorrah is great, and because their sin is very grievous;
Gen 18:21 I will go down now, and see whether they have done altogether according to the cry of it, which is come unto me; and if not, I will know.
Gen 18:22 And the men turned their faces from thence, and went toward Sodom: but Abraham stood yet before the LORD.
Gen 18:23 And Abraham drew near, and said, Wilt thou also destroy the righteous with the wicked?
Gen 18:24 Peradventure there be fifty righteous within the city: wilt thou also destroy and not spare the place for the fifty righteous that are therein?
Gen 18:25 That be far from thee to do after this manner, to slay the righteous with the wicked: and that the righteous should be as the wicked, that be far from thee: Shall not the Judge of all the earth do right?
Gen 18:26 And the LORD said, If I find in Sodom fifty righteous within the city, then I will spare all the place for their sakes.
Gen 18:27 And Abraham answered and said, Behold now, I have taken upon me to speak unto the Lord, which am but dust and ashes:
Gen 18:28 Peradventure there shall lack five of the fifty righteous: wilt thou destroy all the city for lack of five? And he said, If I find there forty and five, I will not destroy it.
Gen 18:29 And he spake unto him yet again, and said, Peradventure there shall be forty found there. And he said, I will not do it for forty's sake.
Gen 18:30 And he said unto him, Oh let not the Lord be angry, and I will speak: Peradventure there shall thirty be found there. And he said, I will not do it, if I find thirty there.
Gen 18:31 And he said, Behold now, I have taken upon me to speak unto the Lord: Peradventure there shall be twenty found there. And he said, I will not destroy it for twenty's sake.
Gen 18:32 And he said, Oh let not the Lord be angry, and I will speak yet but this once: Peradventure ten shall be found there. And he said, I will not destroy it for ten's sake.
Gen 18:33 And the LORD went his way, as soon as he had left communing with Abraham: and Abraham returned unto his place.

Back