Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Bible Study WELCOME TO A DEEP LOOK AT GENESIS

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Is the Spirit of Wisdom [Holy Spirit] a She?

JLB

Hey, JLB, glad to see you. I don't think this is talking about the Holy Spirit but I do think that the Holy Spirit is the teacher by which we receive God's wisdom and understanding.

Pro 9:10 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: and the knowledge of the holy is understanding.

"...And yet his works have been finished since the creation of the world. 4 For somewhere he has spoken about the seventh day in these words: “On the seventh day God rested from all his works." Hebrews 4:3b-4 NIV

"...And yet his works have been finished since the creation of the world. 4 For somewhere he has spoken about the seventh day in these words: “On the seventh day God rested from all his works." Hebrews 4:3b-4 NIV
Heb 4:3 For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world.

Hi Michael and thanks for your input. I’ve always taken that to be in the sense of God’s foreknowledge such as: Eph 1:4 According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:

And then we that believe also enter that same rest. Heb 4:10 For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his. And yet in the believer there are victories to be won.

And then today God’s presence is seen in us.
Rom 8:4 That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us (not by us), who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
Php 2:13 For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.

:wave2

I will have to have to ask about that. most translate that as..

but literally?

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=genesis 1&version=YLT

you just negated the yec position. we know that cant be because of the command of shabat. chassidics take the date of creation literally in their calendar and so the others.

I didn't really try to negate YEC Jasonc, but for me I am not dogmatic on this issue (YEC or OEC) because there is a case made by early Rabbis and even some of the early church fathers who saw a day unto the Lord (before there was a man to count according to rotation of the earth) as being 1,000 years unto man.

Secondly, there is no command for Shabbat in Genesis 2...the word here is "shaw-bath" which used as it is means God ceased/desisted...it is about what God did and contains nothing regarding mankind or what man should do...

brother Paul

Hey guys some slightly off topic is ok this is a thread on/in the study of Genesis 1: 6,10 hold it a bit to topic OK?

Gen 1:6 And God said, Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters.
Gen 1:7 And God made the firmament, and divided the waters which were under the firmament from the waters which were above the firmament: and it was so.
Gen 1:8 And God called the firmament Heaven. And the evening and the morning were the second day.
Gen 1:9 And God said, Let the waters under the heaven be gathered together unto one place, and let the dry land appear: and it was so.
Gen 1:10 And God called the dry land Earth; and the gathering together of the waters called he Seas: and God saw that it was good.

"And yet his works have been finished since the creation of the world." Hebrews 4:3b NIV

Yes, that too.. My only point was that whatever He rested from in Genesis, He seems to be still resting from. Maybe He's not currently creating new habitable earths, or new heavens. Maybe just maintaining and fine tuning the current ones, so we have a place to sojourn.. He might create earth and heavens again in the future:

"Then I saw “a new heaven and a new earth,” for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away..." Revelation 21:1a NIV

Just one possible explanation for what the rest in Genesis may mean. Certainly there are spiritual implications for us entering into rest also, as Hebrews indicates.

Hey, JLB, glad to see you. I don't think this is talking about the Holy Spirit but I do think that the Holy Spirit is the teacher by which we receive God's wisdom and understanding.

Pro 9:10 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: and the knowledge of the holy is understanding.

Is the Spirit of Wisdom a female?

Yes, very good insight Deb. Understanding, and Knowledge are also female, along with Wisdom.

Then I was beside Him as a master craftsman; And I was daily His delight, Rejoicing always before Him, Proverbs 8:30

Wisdom says that She was beside Him as a master craftsman in the creation of all the unviverse.

We see this also in those who God has filled with the Spirit of Wisdom.

So you shall speak to all who are gifted artisans, whom I have filled with the spirit of wisdom, that they may make Aaron's garments, to consecrate him, that he may minister to Me as priest. Exodus 28:3

JLB

Hey guys some slightly off topic is ok this is a thread on/in the study of Genesis 1: 6,10 hold it a bit to topic OK?
Sorry Sister Reba. There are too many issues that arise out of a study such as Genesis, and I ought to have remembered before entering that I cannot contain myself from exploring every aspect. I respectively withdraw from the study.

Eugene that is not fair .. Dont back out over a plea to edge toward topic...we all go off topic. We want to explore all we can but life tells us we need some slight structure

Sorry Sister Reba. There are too many issues that arise out of a study such as Genesis, and I ought to have remembered before entering that I cannot contain myself from exploring every aspect. I respectively withdraw from the study.

Eugene, please don't go, we need your insight!

I'm pretty sure reba was talking to me and JLB. :wink

Dont pike Eugene. You snooze you Lose. :sleep. Winners are Grinners. :biggrin2
Touché my friends. :lol
Thanks all and I will keep in touch with the study, but in an attempt to keep the study on course I'll respond to a direct scripture and no further. With an old mind its easier to let the mind wander, and keep a sock in the mouth to bridal the tongue and not allow the two to come together. Blessings in Christ Jesus.

the yod and vey, these are similar to calvins idea of predestination.(vey) the yod is akin to being in the image of god and also all things are from god and give god the glory. more to come. the site lost my longer post on that. but that is nutshell.

"Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters." Genesis 1:2 NIV

So there was no light at the surface in 1:2. Super thick cloud cover? Maybe something similar to Venus's cloud cover today?

This is interesting Michael considering Vs 7 & 8.

Gen 1:7-8 KJV And God made the firmament, and divided the waters which were under the firmament from the waters which were above the firmament: and it was so. (8) And God called the firmament Heaven. And the evening and the morning were the second day.

I wonder also why my KJV and ESV suggest this firmament is God's home ( Heaven ) if capital H suggests this.

This is interesting Michael considering Vs 7 & 8.

Gen 1:7-8 KJV And God made the firmament, and divided the waters which were under the firmament from the waters which were above the firmament: and it was so. (8) And God called the firmament Heaven. And the evening and the morning were the second day.

I wonder also why my KJV and ESV suggest this firmament is God's home ( Heaven ) if capital H suggests this.
ok since you went there. the ramban says that that firmament is. the god created heaven then and separated with water I believe from the rest of creation. ramban believed that is a heavenly isreal and stars etc that is in a spiritual bliss and unmarred till this day. they believe that isreal will be there forever after the destruction of creation

the Talmud says what peter says in 2 peter 3.

for a day unto the lord is..

ok since you went there. the ramban says that that firmament is. the god created heaven then and separated with water I believe from the rest of creation. ramban believed that is a heavenly isreal and stars etc that is in a spiritual bliss and unmarred till this day. they believe that isreal will be there forever after the destruction of creation

the Talmud says what peter says in 2 peter 3.

for a day unto the lord is..

How does this fit with this firmament/ Heaven being between the waters below ( on Earth I assume ) and waters above ( in our atmosphere I assume ) ?

NOTE: Hello, and good morning from New England. So far our study is going very well. It's exciting to explore the many "bunny trails" that Genesis presents. Our study will present many of such trails, so lets form a strategy, if there is a subject of interest that would be "off topic", I suggest that either a SAC, or a new thread be started in A&T so we can keep this thread as pure as possible, thank you.

How does this fit with this firmament/ Heaven being between the waters below ( on Earth I assume ) and waters above ( in our atmosphere I assume ) ?
I would have to reread the bible and also ramban and how we defended that.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back