Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Depending upon the Holy Spirit for all you do?

Read through the following study by Tenchi for more on this topic

https://christianforums.net/threads/without-the-holy-spirit-we-can-do-nothing.109419/

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

https://christianforums.net/forums/questions-and-answers/

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Bible Study WELCOME TO A DEEP LOOK AT GENESIS

Day 121 Tuesday 8/19/14 Genesis 45:6-15 The Truth Be Known.

Gen 45:6 "For these two years hath the famine been in the land: and yet there are five years, in the which there shall neither be earing nor harvest."
Gen 45:7 "And God sent me before you to preserve you a posterity in the earth, and to save your lives by a great deliverance."

These two verses set up for Joseph the beginning of explaining just what has happened in the past twenty years. Two years of the seven year famine which covered the land had come to pass, and five years are left to occur. Joseph, being the godly man that he was, revealed who the author of their deliverance from starvation was. "Hey guys, Elohim is the One Who thru your ill treatment of me, sent me here to Egypt so that the promise of Abraham, to build a great Nation thru our father and us would continue thru this famine." We serve an amazing omnipotent God Who's way are not our ways. For His children, He is always in the background by His Spirit Who is in us, and Angels who have been assigned to us. This is the way that He will never leave us or forsake us no matter what comes our way. Praise our loving, powerful, and mighty God, Elohim.

Gen 45:8 "So now it was not you that sent me hither, but God: and he hath made me a father to Pharaoh, and lord of all his house, and a ruler throughout all the land of Egypt."

Joseph explains the architecture of God's unbelievable plan to save his family but also to be a valued and trustworthy friend to Pharaoh. "a father to Pharaoh" simply means one who is responsible to guard and favor the wellbeing of another person. Someone suggested that this is a new younger Pharaoh, but I couldn't find more info. on that so I'm assuming that this is the same Pharaoh.

Gen 45:9 "Haste ye, and go up to my father, and say unto him, Thus saith thy son Joseph, God hath made me lord of all Egypt: come down unto me, tarry not."
Gen 45:10 "And thou shalt dwell in the land of Goshen, and thou shalt be near unto me, thou, and thy children, and thy children's children, and thy flocks, and thy herds, and all that thou hast."
Gen 45:11 "And there will I nourish thee; for yet there are five years of famine; lest thou, and thy household, and all that thou hast, come to poverty."

These three verses explain to Jacob, Israel, number one, Joseph is alive. Not only is he alive but a very rich man with a very high position of leadership in Egypt, well ably to sustain their lives during the next five years of famine,

Gen 45:12 "And, behold, your eyes see, and the eyes of my brother Benjamin, that it is my mouth that speaketh unto you."

Joseph realized that his father, at first, would not believe that his favored son Joseph was still alive. Joseph hoped that the testimony of the brothers and especially the statement by Benjamin would convince his father that he indeed was alive and wanting him to join him in Goshen, near him.

Gen 45:13 "And ye shall tell my father of all my glory in Egypt, and of all that ye have seen; and ye shall haste and bring down my father hither."
Gen 45:14 "And he fell upon his brother Benjamin's neck, and wept; and Benjamin wept upon his neck."
Gen 45:15 "Moreover he kissed all his brethren, and wept upon them: and after that his brethren talked with him."

After instructing his brothers what to say to their father Jacob, Joseph could no longer hold his mighty role in Egypt, he became a brother and kissed and wept with them all. That must have been simply a wonderful scene of love, forgiveness, and restoration. It was then that all the walls of hostility had come down and now the brothers acted like brothers and must have had a wonderful time of discussing the past twenty years.

In this whole story of Joseph's life, I see two words that stand out in my mind. Those two words are IMO the two greatest words in all Scripture. those words are "BUT GOD". Oh my, just think about our lives as well as Joseph's. BUT GOD I would still be lost without Jesus, BUT GOD! I would have died, BUT GOD! I'll tell you about a very dramatic event in my life. I used to own a Harley Davidson Electra Glide motorcycle. For those who are not familiar with Harley's It is the biggest and heaviest one they manufacture. About ten of us "bikers" were headed from Massachusetts to Washington for "Rolling Thunder". We were on a New York thru way when a young lady in a small red car decided to come from the right lane to the left passing lane, trouble was, I was in the lane that she wanted to come thru to reach the passing lane. She cut thru my lane, just grazing my front tire. That sent my big old Hawg into a jumping, scary, back wheel off the ground then front wheel off the ground, something very close to a bucking bronco. All of a sudden, I could feel a force grab my front tire and all the bucking ceased immediately. The rest of the bikers could not believe that I did not go down. At 65 miles an hour, I would have been run over if I had gone down. BUT GOD! I would have been easily killed BUT GOD!

Thank You Lord for knowing we needed Chopper :sohappy

Aww thanks. In spite of my ill health I love serving the Lord here at CF.net. Mornings are definitely the worst time of day for me. So many times I wanted to quit because of my health and depression. Then I remember, it was not me that put me into this position of moderator, and until I know for sure that He no longer can use what He has built into my life, I'll step down and not until then! When I view the life of the Apostle Paul, and how he was pushed around physically, and he kept on because he knew that his Lord needed him, he never quit.

I would hope that all of us on the Team and even those who are thinking of leaving would take into consideration that this Forum belongs to Jesus thru the owner. This is the ministry of Almighty God and when life gets tough, "His Grace is sufficient!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, what I said on Tuesday, "when life gets tough?" Yesterday got really tough! Between vertigo and back pain,(rod's & screws) I was out of commission. So we will skip yesterday and continue with Wednesday's study today. Thank you for being patient with this old country preacher.

Day 122 Thursday 8/21/14 Genesis 45:16-28 Go Get Dad.

This engaging account of Joseph's life of betrayal and abuse which led to being the next of command to the Pharaoh of Egypt has run a course of sin realized by his brothers, grace and mercy extended by Joseph to those brothers who treated him so badly, is a great picture of how God, while we were yet sinners extended grace and Salvation to us. God is always in the business of reaching out to those that the world has abused, and brought them into the wonderful light of His love and acceptance.

In this section, we have gone from Joseph revealing to his brothers who he really is, "I am Joseph", and to a grand reunion to sending them back to Canaan to fetch their father, Israel. Jacob, upon hearing that Joseph is still alive, has a mild heart issue, but is revived when he sees all the wagons of goods that could only belong to his favored Joseph. Now he is ready to make haste to see his wonderful son Joseph before he dies.

For approximately 25 years of absence, we are about to read about one of the greatest family reunions in Scriptures.

Something about old country preachers :hug
In Joseph's revealing ... We sure can see a picture of what it 'feels' like when our Lord reveals Himself to us... to know we are part of the family to see the good coming our way... :sohappy

Something about old country preachers :hug
In Joseph's revealing ... We sure can see a picture of what it 'feels' like when our Lord reveals Himself to us... to know we are part of the family to see the good coming our way... :sohappy

Thank you so much Reba. Could you please pray for me, I not feeling very well. Yesterday and today I can barely function. I am very weak and my head is messed up. It's hard to explain, I don't know what's wrong. With you praying and with the Lord's help, I'll be feeling soon. Love you! :hug

Lord we ask you to strengthen our Brother Chopper.... Clear his head, bring soothing comfort to old aching muscles. Chopper is Your servant doing what he can to share Your saving gospel with any and all You place in his path... We lift him up to the throne of Grace. Bless him Lord Make your light shine through him...

Lord we ask you to strengthen our Brother Chopper.... Clear his head, bring soothing comfort to old aching muscles. Chopper is Your servant doing what he can to share Your saving gospel with any and all You place in his path... We lift him up to the throne of Grace. Bless him Lord Make your light shine through him...

Oh Reba, thank you so very much for that prayer. Coming from you, I receive every word you have prayed. May God bless you for interceding for my old broken down body. Words can't express how much I respect, honor, and love you. You are a very special Lady of Almighty God, and He uses your special gift's to comfort and heal those who are hurting. I'm quite sure that I can detect a lot of your Dad's qualities in you. A lot of him rubbed off on you. I don't say things that I don't believe in my heart. Thank you for being a special friend to me, it means a lot!!

Day123 Friday 8/26/14 Genesis 46:1-4 Jacob Hears From God.

Gen 46:1 "And Israel took his journey with all that he had, and came to Beersheba, and offered sacrifices unto the God of his father Isaac."

The journey to Egypt is a familiar trip because Israel's journey was one that his ancestors had made. Abraham and Isaac had stayed in Beersheba before him. Beersheba is approx. sixteen miles from Hebron. Jacob has so much to be thankful for. For twenty five years Jacob/Israel was not a happy man. His favorite son Joseph was dead as far as he knew. There is a great famine in the land, and his other sons except for Benjamin, had made their journey to Egypt for food, and these trips became a thorn in Jacob's side. Once he reached Beersheba, he made sacrifice to YHWH just as Abraham, and Isaac had done.

Gen 46:2 "And God spake unto Israel in the visions of the night, and said, Jacob, Jacob. And he said, Here am I."

Wow, it always amazes me when I read of God Himself speaking to a human. For me, it reassures me of God's presence and love to one of His servant. I sometimes wonder if it is an audible voice that others hear, or a voice that only the servant hears in his mind. This account is a vision at night as Jacob sleeps. John Gill mentions that God did not use his honorable name Israel, but Jacob, Jacob. Personally, I believe that by using Jacob God is reminding Jacob that he is a troubled man because of his past failures. But that is all going to change soon.

Gen 46:3 "And he said, I am God, the God of thy father: fear not to go down into Egypt; for I will there make of thee a great nation."

Egypt was not a very popular place to settle. Jacob's father Isaac was forbidden to go into Egypt. There were past problems that his ancestors had when in Egypt. Personally I think that Jacob felt that since he is old now, could he actually make the trip and not die on the way and never seeing his beloved son Joseph. Also, all the promises given to Abraham pointed to the Promised Land, not Egypt. I think that was his greatest fear. He is Israel in Canaan, he is Jacob in Egypt.

Gen 46:4 "I will go down with thee into Egypt; and I will also surely bring thee up again: and Joseph shall put his hand upon thine eyes."

To me, those words "I will go down with thee into Egypt" are the greatest words that a servant of YHWH could ever hear. For us? He says "I will never leave thee or forsake thee." In all the years of being the pastor of small country churches, God Almighty was always there teaching His people, and bringing sinners to His Son for Salvation. I'm still amazed that he used me to accomplish so many wonderful works, I praise His Holy and matchless Name. Mighty God, Mighty God!! Oh my, MIGHTY GOD.

Our text says, "and Joseph shall put his hand upon your eyes." There have been a few different opinions on just what this means, for me? It is that Joseph will close his fathers eyes when he dies. Apparently that was the custom with the Hebrews. With that statement, Jacob knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that not only is he going to make it to Egypt, but he will spend some time with Joseph.

YLT
Gen 46:4 I--I go down with thee to Egypt, and I--I also certainly bring thee up, and Joseph doth put his hand on thine eyes.'

Two things in this verse. In Young's Literal it translates that there two 'I's, God repeats Himself that He is going with Jacob, really stressing this fact that He will be with him.

'put his hand on thine eyes.'
e-sword says this is talking about when someone dies and the closest one to them closes their eyes for the last time. So God is telling Jacob that Joseph will be with him when he dies.

Last edited:
an observation. I see Jacob as isreal. he is called that but ancient isreal did something that Jacob did. ie at times faithful, other times a deceiver, and times also scared. just a quick note. while I do see Abraham as the father of the Hebrew nation. Jacob's nature is more pronounced with jews then and all Hebrews. im not counting Hebrews today. there is a reason for that. it should be obvious.

YLT
Gen 46:4 I--I go down with thee to Egypt, and I--I also certainly bring thee up, and Joseph doth put his hand on thine eyes.'

Two things in this verse. In Young's Literal it translates that there two 'I's, God repeats Himself that He is going with Jacob, really stressing this fact that He will be with him.

'put his hand on thine eyes.'
e-sword says this is talking about when someone dies and the closest one to them closes their eyes for the last time. So God is telling Jacob that Joseph will be with him when he dies.

Absolutely correct Deb.

Day 124 Saturday 8/23/14 Genesis 46:5-27 Jacob's Family On The Move.

To be honest, I'm not a big fan of genealogies. Once in a while I will trace Jesus' family tree to find someone of whom I'm studying. The following is from the commentary of Jamieson, Fausett, & Brown. Compliments of e-Sword.
"All the souls of the house of Jacob, which came into Egypt, were threescore and ten — Strictly speaking, there were only sixty-six went to Egypt; but to these add Joseph and his two sons, and Jacob the head of the clan, and the whole number amounts to seventy. In the speech of Stephen (Act_7:14) the number is stated to be seventy-five; but as that estimate includes five sons of Ephraim and Manasseh (1Ch_7:14-20), born in Egypt, the two accounts coincide."

Other than that, I have nothing more to post.

Day 125 Sunday 8/4/14 Genesis 46:28-34 We Are Cattlemen.

Gen 46:29 "And Joseph made ready his chariot, and went up to meet Israel his father, to Goshen, and presented himself unto him; and he fell on his neck, and wept on his neck a good while."

For me, this is what I have been waiting for. A great story, like a modern movie of betrayal, captivity and 25 years away from family, discovery, and a grand reunion with the family again. I can just see a cloud of dust in the distance as Joseph approaches Goshen, in his grand chariot. His father Jacob, straining his old and dimming eyes to see who it is. He asks Judah, who is it, can you see? All of a sudden, Joseph on his royal chariot comes in sight and before it comes to a complete stop, Joseph jumps out and embraces his father with such love that it brings a standing applaud from the audience, which was the other brothers.

I'm not sure just what "presented himself" meant but it must have been a custom which meant great respect and honor. Joseph embraces his father, falls on his neck and weeps "a good while." What a picture! I wish I could have been there, I would be weeping too. I'll bet that there wasn't a dry eye in the whole clan that day.

Gen 46:30 "And Israel said unto Joseph, Now let me die, since I have seen thy face, because thou art yet alive."

I find Israel's statement a little odd, "now let me die." Truth is, Jacob/Israel lived another 16 years. I suppose, all the years that Joseph was away from his father was torture for Jacob. He probably thought, and prayed, "Dear God, If by any chance that Joseph is really alive some place, please let me see him before I die." That prayer came true, and now Jacob utters what he had rehearsed in his prayer. Now I can die.

Gen 46:31 "And Joseph said unto his brethren, and unto his father's house, I will go up, and shew Pharaoh, and say unto him, My brethren, and my father's house, which were in the land of Canaan, are come unto me;
Gen 46:32 And the men are shepherds, for their trade hath been to feed cattle; and they have brought their flocks, and their herds, and all that they have.
Gen 46:33 And it shall come to pass, when Pharaoh shall call you, and shall say, What is your occupation?
Gen 46:34 That ye shall say, Thy servants' trade hath been about cattle from our youth even until now, both we, and also our fathers: that ye may dwell in the land of Goshen; for every shepherd is an abomination unto the Egyptians."

Lastly, Joseph, according to his high position in Egypt, and not wanting to impose on Pharaoh by demanding that his family dwell in Egypt, knew how to go about settling his family in a very good location, Goshen. The main problem, for some reason, the Egyptians loathed shepherds of sheep. Perhaps that sheep were one of their thousands of idols. The Egyptians worshiped so many animals and other species, that for someone to raise and eat of those idols was forbidden. So the Hebrews that were shepherds of their idols were considered lower than whale poop which was on the bottom of the ocean.

At any rate, Joseph told his brothers that when they stand before Pharaoh, they were to say that they were cattlemen, not shepherds. We'll see how that worked out.

Back