Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Depending upon the Holy Spirit for all you do?

Read through the following study by Tenchi for more on this topic

https://christianforums.net/threads/without-the-holy-spirit-we-can-do-nothing.109419/

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

https://christianforums.net/forums/questions-and-answers/

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Bible Study WELCOME TO A DEEP LOOK AT GENESIS

I will be late in getting out my comments on Genesis. My brother-in-law wants me to go fishing with him tomorrow. That will be a good day of relaxation.

Day 126 Monday 8/25/14 Genesis 47:1-12 A good Land.

In this section of our study, Chapter 47:1-12, we see an audience with Pharaoh. Joseph had previously suggested to his brothers that they should not tell Pharaoh that their occupation was shepherds. Joseph picked five of his brothers to stand before Pharaoh representing the entire clan of Jacob. When asked what their occupation was, they replied, we are shepherds. I can just see Joseph, clenching his fists, and standing there thinking, those were the wrong brothers, why in the world did I chose those five. Joseph didn't intervene, he must have prayed, Dear Lord, help? Pharaoh didn't pick up on that statement, perhaps out of respect he had for Joseph.

It is interesting that the brothers made it clear to Pharaoh that they were not seeking permanent dwelling in Goshen, they were sojourners. In other words, when the famine ended, they would journey back to Canaan, their permanent dwelling place. Pharaoh instructs Joseph to place his family in the choicest area of Goshen. That part of Goshen was called Rameses. There were very few Egyptians living there which made it very suitable for the Hebrews. Joseph did not want his family to pick up the evil of the Egyptians. He wanted them to be as isolated from them as possible. Also, since the Egyptians loathed Hebrew shepherds, obviously, there would be ill treatment to Jacob's family if they were near a large population of farmers, especially cattlemen.

After the brothers had their say, Joseph brings in his father Jacob. This old saint, blesses Pharaoh several times. To have an old patriarch like Jacob bless you, man that was good!

After Joseph ushered out his family, he settled his entire clan in the best land around. Since this land was so rich in natural resources, you'd think there would be all kinds of people living there, but just like many things, Almighty God was there keeping that land for Jacob and family. What integrity Joseph had. He didn't favor his family over anyone else. Scripture says that he provided food for his father's household according to the number of their dependents. Boy! What a man of God Joseph was. Not only had God blessed Joseph with wisdom and foresight, he used it all to the glory of God. I may be wrong, but I see Joseph as the closest to Jesus that I have seen in the Scriptures. What a model for all of us to follow. In Romans eight is talks about walking in the Spirit, Joseph is a great example of how one would do that.

:salute

Gen 47:13 And there was no bread in all the land; for the famine was very sore, so that the land of Egypt and all the land of Canaan fainted by reason of the famine.
Gen 47:14 And Joseph gathered up all the money that was found in the land of Egypt, and in the land of Canaan, for the corn which they bought: and Joseph brought the money into Pharaoh's house.
Gen 47:15 And when money failed in the land of Egypt, and in the land of Canaan, all the Egyptians came unto Joseph, and said, Give us bread: for why should we die in thy presence? for the money faileth.
Gen 47:16 And Joseph said, Give your cattle; and I will give you for your cattle, if money fail.
Gen 47:17 And they brought their cattle unto Joseph: and Joseph gave them bread in exchange for horses, and for the flocks, and for the cattle of the herds, and for the asses: and he fed them with bread for all their cattle for that year.
Gen 47:18 When that year was ended, they came unto him the second year, and said unto him, We will not hide it from my lord, how that our money is spent; my lord also hath our herds of cattle; there is not ought left in the sight of my lord, but our bodies, and our lands:
Gen 47:19 Wherefore shall we die before thine eyes, both we and our land? buy us and our land for bread, and we and our land will be servants unto Pharaoh: and give us seed, that we may live, and not die, that the land be not desolate.

Life is good every one is fine health... I can hit the supper market and get anything i need and most every thing i may want.. Wow i have done well for myself....
We worked hard to get to where we are... saved watched our penneys... We did good...
How easy it is to pat ourselves on the back when life is easy.... . Way too often God gets almost forgotten....
How we can cry when we look around and are forced to realize there is no Manna

Day 127 Tuesday 8/26/14 Genesis 47:13-19 Ain't Got No Money Honey.

Gen 47:13 "And there was no bread in all the land; for the famine was very sore, so that the land of Egypt and the land of Canaan fainted by reason of the famine."

Just as Joseph had interpreted Pharaoh's dream, the famine is right on course. When the Scripture says that Egypt & Canaan fainted, it means that the people were so weak from not having food to eat. I think we all have experienced a feeling of weakness if we've gone too long without eating.

Gen 47:14 "And Joseph gathered up all the money that was found in the land of Egypt, and in the land of Canaan, for the grain which they bought: and Joseph brought the money into Pharaoh's house."

So far, the Egyptians and the Canaanites have been paying for the grain and paying Joseph. For the people, there is no end in sight. It must have been a terrible feeling to only have a couple of Egyptian dollars in their pockets, and needing more corn/grain that would be needing for the next year (They were going year by year, each purchase would last one year). I can just see them now, looking all over the house for more money, even in grandma's cookie jar.:lol

We should take notice of the statement that Joseph took all the money collected and "brought it into Pharaoh's house." I would imagine that along with Joseph's other duties, he was also the treasurer of the Nation of Egypt. From what we have already seen of the qualities of Joseph, who feared and loved his LORD, he would never take a penny that was not his. Wow, what an employee! Recently in our Town, the manager of a tire store was caught embezzling thousands of dollars from the Company that he worked for. I have purchased quite a few tires from him, and he didn't strike me as a thief, but he was. Just this part of Joseph's integrity, shouts honest! honest! and honest!!!

Gen 47:15 "And when the money was all spent in the land of Egypt, and in the land of Canaan, all the Egyptians came unto Joseph, and said, Give us bread: for why should we die in thy presence? for our money faileth."

Just the way this verse is worded, I get the feeling that the Egyptians are almost at the end of their patience during this famine. Their statement to Joseph was "give us bread!" My paraphrase, "do you want to see us starve to death before your eyes?" They state their bankruptcy, "Our money faileth."

Gen 47:16 "And Joseph said, Give your cattle; and I will give you for your cattle, if money fail."

Matthew Henry made an interesting comment. "we may better live upon bread without flesh than upon flesh without bread." Their animals were useless to them because they had no feed for them. If Joseph was willing to take their animals for another year of food for them and their families, so be it! They willingly gave up their livestock.

Gen 47:17 "And they brought their cattle unto Joseph; and Joseph gave them bread in exchange for the horses, and for the flocks, and for the herds, and for the asses: and he fed them with bread in exchange for all their cattle for that year"

This whole system of depending on Joseph for their livelihood reminds me of Matthew 6:25 & 26. "Therefore I say unto you, be not anxious for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than the food, and the body than the raiment?
(26) Behold the birds of the heaven, that they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; and your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are not ye of much more value then they?" I believe that Jesus had in mind this very situation with Joseph, when He made that statement. Before the famine even started, Our Almighty and all knowing God put the saving of His people and the Egyptians from starvation. He saved them just like He cares for His little birds who depend on YHWH for their little lives.

Gen 47:18 "And when that year was ended, they came unto him the second year, and said unto him, We will not hide from my lord, how that our money is all spent; and the herds of cattle are my lord's; there is nought left in the sight of my lord, but our bodies, and our lands."

What a desperate condition these people were in. Again, their only hope was in Joseph. Just like us, if we were in the same situation. Only we would not be crying out to Joseph, but our loving Savior....Their presentation was, there is nothing left for us to give you for corn except our land and us.

Gen 47:19 "wherefore should we die before thine eyes, both we and our land? buy us and our land for bread, and we and our land will be servants unto Pharaoh: and give us seed, that we may live, and not die, and that the land be not desolate."

We have two requests just as the people had two things to give Joseph. They had their land for "bread" and themselves to become "debt slaves" for seed so they could plant in the land.

Back