Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Bible Study WELCOME TO A DEEP LOOK AT GENESIS

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
There's an interesting subtle variation here I think Chop concerning " which came first the seed or the apple tree"

Gen 1:11-12 KJV And God said, Let the earth bring forth grass, the herb yielding seed, and the fruit tree yielding fruit after his kind, whose seed is in itself, upon the earth: and it was so. (12) And the earth brought forth grass, and herb yielding seed after his kind, and the tree yielding fruit, whose seed was in itself, after his kind: and God saw that it was good.

" Let the Earth bring forth " gives the impression of growing from seed or something to me what do you think ?
There's an interesting subtle variation here I think Chop concerning " which came first the seed or the apple tree"

Gen 1:11-12 KJV And God said, Let the earth bring forth grass, the herb yielding seed, and the fruit tree yielding fruit after his kind, whose seed is in itself, upon the earth: and it was so. (12) And the earth brought forth grass, and herb yielding seed after his kind, and the tree yielding fruit, whose seed was in itself, after his kind: and God saw that it was good.

" Let the Earth bring forth " gives the impression of growing from seed or something to me what do you think ?
As I read the passage you quoted the Spirit turned on the light. I've read this over and over
You bring up a very interesting subject of thought my friend. It seems that everyone that I have read seem to think that God created everything in a mature state, ready to give forth its seed. But, I see what you're saying. The only question that I would have is, everything happening here is in one day. Of course, there could be supernatural growth, so at the end of the day, the apple tree could be mature. :thinking
Great point!

Then you could watch Adam start out as a baby then throughout the day watch him mature into a full grown man by dusk.. Wow!

tob

light reflects :)
I believe if we are discussing the light before the sun and the stars and the moons it was god moving. that light while literal in that instance is now more akin to the Holy Spirit working in man to change man and redeeming the creation. but that's my amil nature in me.

I believe if we are discussing the light before the sun and the stars and the moons it was god moving. that light while literal in that instance is now more akin to the Holy Spirit working in man to change man and redeeming the creation. but that's my amil nature in me.

It makes me think how Moses' face shone with the glory of the Lord.

It makes me think how Moses' face shone with the glory of the Lord.
you could say that, the shekinah cloud. I don't agree with the Hebrew view on that. its a female cloud of god's glory that follows Hebrews and is with them wheresoever they go.

Day 4 Genesis 1:14-19 Lights 4/20/14.

As we start speaking of light, the question arises in 1:3, God said "let there be light". Where did that light come from before He created the sun? Could it be that He allowed the light of His Glory to shine out, as it is in Revelation 22:5 "for the Lord God will be their light". OR, as some theologians believe, he created the sun and then in V.16 "and God MADE" they say that the word made is different than the word create, so God fashioned the sun at this point to not only produce light, but also the orbit system for days, months, etc.

So, the light of the sun, moon, and stars have their main function to be signs for the seasons, and for days & years. I can think of one sign, red sky in the morning, sailor take warning, red sky at night, sailor delight. :) For seasons, it tells the farmer when to till the ground, plant the seeds, how to manage the garden, when to reap the harvest, when to prepare for the cold of Winter by stocking up his wood, by cutting hay and storing it for his cattle, etc.

All over the world, whether a warm or cold climate, the seasons dictate to man his life cycles. For the Hebrews, their festivals were regulated by seasons.

I should note that the sun and moon has been created by God Himself, not some pagan god for worship. They were created for distinguishing hours, days, months, and years, and make up the Hebrew calendar. The heat of the sun is crucial for the comfort of man as well as for plant and tree life.

As we start speaking of light, the question arises in 1:3, God said "let there be light". Where did that light come from before He created the sun? Could it be that He allowed the light of His Glory to shine out, as it is in Revelation 22:5 "for the Lord God will be their light". OR, as some theologians believe, he created the sun and then in V.16 "and God MADE" they say that the word made is different than the word create, so God fashioned the sun at this point to not only produce light, but also the orbit system for days, months, etc.

This has always been interesting to me and I think the usage of create ( bara ) and made ( asah ) is significant as you mention Chop. I think there's an indication that although the methods aren't clearly given ( as per the bringing forth of vegetation or the "making" of the sun moon stars etc. ) that the Author wanted us to know that God was fully responsible for their existence not anyone/anything else.

This has always been interesting to me and I think the usage of create ( bara ) and made ( asah ) is significant as you mention Chop. I think there's an indication that although the methods aren't clearly given ( as per the bringing forth of vegetation or the "making" of the sun moon stars etc. ) that the Author wanted us to know that God was fully responsible for their existence not anyone/anything else.

Good one my friend, I believe you're right on!

Then you could watch Adam start out as a baby then throughout the day watch him mature into a full grown man by dusk.. Wow!

tob

Man is the only living thing that God didn't command the Earth or the Seas to "bring forth " it seems. I'm not sure about the significance of this in the text aside from us being the only Creature made in His image.

yeah jasonc that is what i said..

Day 5 Genesis 1:20-25 4/21/14 Critters and Birds.

Perhaps a few notes on the different species is in order....Albert Barnes notes that the Hebrew word "tanniyn" is a "long creature" , a comprehensive genus including vast fishes, serpents, dragons, crocodiles; "stretch."

The creatures are divided into three groups which inhabit the air, birds, the ground, animals, and the water, fish.

Matthew Henry points out a very interesting fact about 1:20 "And God said, let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that hath life, and fowl." Henry states "It was on the fifth day that the fish and fowl were created, and both out of the waters."

Next is the animal kingdom. Three species, cattle, creeping things, and beasts.

It appears to me that out of the ground, That suggests to me that the dust of the ground is the place that God decided to create and form animal and human life. Not that the earth has any creative power of its own, but the place God chose to create.

On this particular day, Sunday, that I am researching. tomorrows study, I am celebrating my risen Christ. The birth of creation and the birth of the power of God to raise His Son from the grave, causes me to bow in humble adoration to our great God.

I always liked to look at it as God empowered the earth with a multitude of potential! The rain forest still testifies to this!

Chapter 1:20-25
YLT
Gen 1:20 And God saith, `Let the waters teem with the teeming living creature, and fowl let fly on the earth on the face of the expanse of the heavens.'
Gen 1:21 And God prepareth the great monsters, and every living creature that is creeping, which the waters have teemed with, after their kind, and every fowl with wing, after its kind, and God seeth that it is good.

I think that besides the water mammals and fish, and birds we can also see insects.
Some insects live in the water like fish, say a water skipper.
Some fly in the air like birds, say a locust or a bee.

I always liked to look at it as God empowered the earth with a multitude of potential! The rain forest still testifies to this!
you posted the start of a garden on fb. my wife has a lot of plants. one such rose she thought died, didn't, it was tossed aside and its branch took roots. so she rescued it. the main rose had red flowers and that branch yellow. not uncommon but still.

you posted the start of a garden on fb. my wife has a lot of plants. one such rose she thought died, didn't, it was tossed aside and its branch took roots. so she rescued it. the main rose had red flowers and that branch yellow. not uncommon but still.

In speaking of creation the literal things that we can touch, etc. created by the spiritual and plants. We have a wild cactus. On years that the rains are abundant the flowers are bright fuchsia pink but on dry years they are a greenish yellow, not nearly as brilliant. Makes me think about an abundance of living water in one's life.

In speaking of creation the literal things that we can touch, etc. created by the spiritual and plants. We have a wild cactus. On years that the rains are abundant the flowers are bright fuchsia pink but on dry years they are a greenish yellow, not nearly as brilliant. Makes me think about an abundance of living water.
post a pic of it. my wife has several types of cactis.

One of my favorite activities when I could grow my roses was grafting, And I enjoyed taking Native Texas wild rose roots to graft onto. On some occasions this produced a rose that neither the Root Stock nor the Trunk looked like before but if I cut and rooted the old rose grew from the cutting. Fun stuff.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back