Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Bible Study WELCOME TO A DEEP LOOK AT GENESIS

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
its Hebrew thought. nothing more. that is taught whenever the event channukah was done. tons of way to see Christ even in Judaism. the seven lampstand. whom told moses what to build it and how? the YHWH! the serveant lamp sits higher then the others, the number seven being perfection. where did the menorah stand in the temple? close to the HOLY of HOLIES, it was to never go out and also its seen in revalation in imagery. Jesus stands between two of them. you don't have to believe that. its something I saw when I read up on channukah. channukah is a unique in that it ties genesis to revalation directly. it also ties in the story of joseph. but that I will get into later.

Thanks Buddy, It is strange how words can change from one culture or time period to the next.
Yes, it is. When my dad raised me gay was still a happy or fuzzy feeling and being a Gay Blade in the thirties and forties was an, almost, admirable thing unless he was wanting to marry one's daughter. I still use my KJV to teach a good many classes but I also look to the modern day translations for possible differences and then I see if I can find, now-a-days on the web, the circa 1500 to 1600 meanings and I'm oft given a good light on the translation since I cannot read Hebrew, Aramaic nor Koine Greek.

Hebrew and aramiac are close. most Hebrew that are good will know aramiac and so will those that speak Arabic. Arabic and Hebrew are related.

Day 7 Genesis 2:1-3 The Seventh Day 4/23/14

Rest = Heb. Shabat, repose, desist from exertion....Sanctify = Heb. quadash, clean, holy.

2;1 Indicates that God is finished with equipping the heavens and earth for His proper operations. It appears that four things are happening on this one day, the, the last one. First, God ceased from His work. Secondly, He rested because what He wanted created was there. God wasn't tired, He was finished.

Thirdly, in V.3 God blessed the last day. In the word "blessed" I see "favor", this is only my opinion, I see favor because this one day out of seven gives my body the rest that it needs from a busy six days of work. This one day rejuvenates my body because of a supernatural blessing from it's Creator. Something like food rejuvenates my physical body....Fourthly, God sanctified this last day, He made it Holy and set apart. I have the feeling that as Christians, we are missing out on something Holy about Saturdays, something that could benefit us, but don't know what.

Someone suggested that this is the only day out of the week that is set aside for sacred purposes. A Christian Physician would tell us that to neglect this one day of rest every week would result in premature decay of the body and mind.

There will always be a controversy over the N.T. day of worship. IMO we would be better off if we rested on Saturday because of God's setting that one day apart for rest, then worship Jesus on Sunday, then do a little work on the rest of Sunday.

Day 7 Genesis 2:1-3 The Seventh Day 4/23/14

Rest = Heb. Shabat, repose, desist from exertion....Sanctify = Heb. quadash, clean, holy.

2;1 Indicates that God is finished with equipping the heavens and earth for His proper operations. It appears that four things are happening on this one day, the, the last one. First, God ceased from His work. Secondly, He rested because what He wanted created was there. God wasn't tired, He was finished.

Thirdly, in V.3 God blessed the last day. In the word "blessed" I see "favor", this is only my opinion, I see favor because this one day out of seven gives my body the rest that it needs from a busy six days of work. This one day rejuvenates my body because of a supernatural blessing from it's Creator. Something like food rejuvenates my physical body....Fourthly, God sanctified this last day, He made it Holy and set apart. I have the feeling that as Christians, we are missing out on something Holy about Saturdays, something that could benefit us, but don't know what.

Someone suggested that this is the only day out of the week that is set aside for sacred purposes. A Christian Physician would tell us that to neglect this one day of rest every week would result in premature decay of the body and mind.

There will always be a controversy over the N.T. day of worship. IMO we would be better off if we rested on Saturday because of God's setting that one day apart for rest, then worship Jesus on Sunday, then do a little work on the rest of Sunday.
Brother Chopper, I'll attempt to sneak this in. :) This is an excerpt of a sermon by my past pastor concerning the Sabbath.

The True Sabbath - Christ or the Day
The Old Testament was given to us for types and shadows. All of the ritual and keeping of days contained in it are merely types of Christ, who came to meet every requirement of the law, both moral and ceremonial and to fulfill it. (Matthew 5:17) Christ is the end of the law for righteousness "to everyone that believeth." This does not mean that there is anything wrong with the law, for it is holy, just and good, but the trouble lies with the human race. The law cannot do anything for us because we are fallen. Anytime it is applied to us, it can only pronounce death and produce condemnation in us (2 Corinthians 3:7). The law provides no remedy for the condemned. It only provides death which is penalty, not remedy.
D.E. Hill

I love Choppers hat. :biggrin2

:hysterical I laughed out loud when I read your post my friend, I love you! Makes me look like a real psychologist, don't you think? :lol That hat has been my favorite for years, I actually have three wool ones. One, when I was an avid Harley Davidson big bike owner and rider, I had a leather one with a HD emblem on the front of it. Thank you for giving me a chuckle this morning.

Brother Chopper, I'll attempt to sneak this in. :) This is an excerpt of a sermon by my past pastor concerning the Sabbath.

The True Sabbath - Christ or the Day
The Old Testament was given to us for types and shadows. All of the ritual and keeping of days contained in it are merely types of Christ, who came to meet every requirement of the law, both moral and ceremonial and to fulfill it. (Matthew 5:17) Christ is the end of the law for righteousness "to everyone that believeth." This does not mean that there is anything wrong with the law, for it is holy, just and good, but the trouble lies with the human race. The law cannot do anything for us because we are fallen. Anytime it is applied to us, it can only pronounce death and produce condemnation in us (2 Corinthians 3:7). The law provides no remedy for the condemned. It only provides death which is penalty, not remedy.
D.E. Hill
:amen

Gen 2:1 Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them.
Gen 2:2 And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.
Gen 2:3 And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.

Psa 132:13 For the LORD hath chosen Zion; he hath desired it for his habitation.
Psa 132:14 This is my rest for ever: here will I dwell; for I have desired it.

Heb 12:22 But ye are come unto mount Sion, and unto the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to an innumerable company of angels,
Heb 12:23 To the general assembly and church of the firstborn, which are written in heaven, and to God the Judge of all, and to the spirits of just men made perfect,

Oh Reba, I love this Scripture Psa 132:14 "This is my rest for ever: here will I dwell; for I have desired it". that you posted. It really sets my spirit free. :hug

Why is the 7th day the only one not described as the others eg. "And the evening and the morning were the sixth day." ?

I'm thinking because He was finished..time to take a break.. :)

Genesis 2:1 Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them.

2 And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.

3 And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.

tob

*edit: or in our words sit back and admire what He had done

Why is the 7th day the only one not described as the others eg. "And the evening and the morning were the sixth day." ?

It would be just my opinion agua, The first 6 days were the work of God and had the final statement of each day signifying a 24 hour period of time. Having mentioned that duration of time, I assume that God felt that those six mentions were enough....The last and 7th day was a day of rest. The workdays were regulated by sun-up to sun-down. The "rest day" would not be limited by sun-up to sun-down. Therefore it would be 24hrs of rest. IMO.

NOTE: We will continue with Gen. 2:1-3 tomorrow, 4/24/14 to give more time for your comments. The subject of the "Shabot" or Sabbath is very interesting. So go ahead and feel free to express your questions and comments.

What went on in the Sabbath?
Was that the day folks brought their sin offerings.. Where they judged and forgiven on that day.... those kind of things is what i am asking about... what was the routine?

What went on in the Sabbath?
Was that the day folks brought their sin offerings.. Where they judged and forgiven on that day.... those kind of things is what i am asking about... what was the routine?

That is a very interesting question Reba, I looked at about a dozen references and didn't find anything on how and what did the Hebrews do on the Sabbath. Perhaps Jason or one of the others who are familiar with Hebrew customs can help us out. I too would like to know what the Jews did from sun-up to sun-down on the Sabbath.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back