Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

Bible Study WELCOME TO A DEEP LOOK AT GENESIS

My comment was in reference to another post about plant life it really didn't have any substance got sidetracked after asking an entirely different question about all light in the universe being there for our benefit..

The sun the moon the stars were made to give light upon the earth.. doesn't say for the entire universe.. although it could have.. it says "The Earth"

Genesis 1:15 And let them be for lights in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth: and it was so.

16 And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also.

17 And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth,

18 And to rule over the day and over the night, and to divide the light from the darkness: and God saw that it was good.

tob

Day 5 Genesis 1:20-25 4/21/14 Critters and Birds.

Perhaps a few notes on the different species is in order....Albert Barnes notes that the Hebrew word "tanniyn" is a "long creature" , a comprehensive genus including vast fishes, serpents, dragons, crocodiles; "stretch."

The creatures are divided into three groups which inhabit the air, birds, the ground, animals, and the water, fish.

Matthew Henry points out a very interesting fact about 1:20 "And God said, let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that hath life, and fowl." Henry states "It was on the fifth day that the fish and fowl were created, and both out of the waters."

Next is the animal kingdom. Three species, cattle, creeping things, and beasts.

It appears to me that out of the ground, That suggests to me that the dust of the ground is the place that God decided to create and form animal and human life. Not that the earth has any creative power of its own, but the place God chose to create.

On this particular day, Sunday, that I am researching. tomorrows study, I am celebrating my risen Christ. The birth of creation and the birth of the power of God to raise His Son from the grave, causes me to bow in humble adoration to our great God.

It appears to me that out of the ground, That suggests to me that the dust of the ground is the place that God decided to create and form animal and human life. Not that the earth has any creative power of its own, but the place God chose to create.

An coincidentally every element in the Human body is plentiful in the Earth's crust ( upper level ). Ok it isn't a coincidence. :D

Day 6 Genesis 1:26-31 MAN 4/22/14

Gen 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
Gen 1:27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.
Gen 1:28 And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.
Gen 1:29 And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat.
Gen 1:30 And to every beast of the earth, and to every fowl of the air, and to every thing that creepeth upon the earth, wherein there is life, I have given every green herb for meat: and it was so.
Gen 1:31 And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day.

First of all I see that the creation of man is the last to be created and the highest form of being that would occupy the earth. I have read quite a few writings of men on this subject of "let us make man in our image. Now the word "make" here is interesting to me. When we talked about the word make when we considered the sun, we felt that in the beginning, the first mention of light must have been the sun, but later when we read that God placed them in a certain place in a certain orbit, the word made was like a re-model of the sun from just being light to being the sun for a particular reason.

So here, we have man being made Heb. asah in verse 26, which means to fashion, prepare, and in verse 27, we have God created Heb. bara which means to make, select. So, make fits with the dust of the ground being fashioned into the man, or create meaning, out of nothing, to make. To me it's a little confusing.

Now we have what is the first mention in the Bible of the Trinity. "Let us make man in our image. I like what Matthew Henry had to say about this.
"Let us make man. The three persons of the Trinity, Father, Son, and Holy Ghost, consult about it and concur in it, because man, when he was made, was to be dedicated and devoted to Father, Son and Holy Ghost. Into that great name we are, with good reason, baptized, for to that great name we owe our being. Let him rule man who said, Let us make man." (used by permission by E-Sword)

It's interesting that Scripture says, "made in God's image and likeness. Image Heb. tselem, a representative figure, resemblance....Likeness Heb. d muth, model, similitude, manner.

Man was not made in the likeness of any creature that went before him, but in the likeness of his Creator; yet still between God and man there is an infinite distance. Christ only is the express image of God's person, as the Son of his Father, having the same nature. It is only some of God's honor that is put upon man, who is God's image only as the shadow in the glass, or the king's impress upon the coin.

Man is to have dominion, Heb. radah, to reign and rule. Since animal life can't fear God, they can and will fear man. After sin entered the world of man, he would take certain animals and fish for food. For now, man would eat the herbs, and fruit from the trees.

God told man to be fruitful and multiply and replenish the earth. I say this very quietly, shhhh, the word replenish to me means to fill back up what was there. But of course there is not a gap theory so it can't be. It must mean go and populate the earth, right? :lol

God is happy with his work and says that it is good.

Chapter 1:26-31
YLT
Gen 1:28 And God blesseth them, and God saith to them, `Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the earth, and subdue it, and rule over fish of the sea, and over fowl of the heavens, and over every living thing that is creeping upon the earth.'

So seeing the gap theory has been brought up several times now as a theory fine. I am not saying that the 'gap theory' is not true; I am only saying the the old English word 'replenish' does not support that theory.
http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles/cm/v18/n2/replenish

Matthew Henry:
"A numerous lasting family, to enjoy this inheritance, pronouncing a blessing upon them, in virtue of which their posterity should extend to the utmost corners of the earth and continue to the utmost period of time. Fruitfulness and increase depend upon the blessing of God:"
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Genesis1&version=KJV

Last edited:
Chapter 1:26-31
YLT
Gen 1:28 And God blesseth them, and God saith to them, `Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the earth, and subdue it, and rule over fish of the sea, and over fowl of the heavens, and over every living thing that is creeping upon the earth.'

So seeing the gap theory has been brought up several times now as a theory fine. I am not saying that the 'gap theory' is not true; I am only saying the the old English word 'replenish' does not support that theory.
http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles/cm/v18/n2/replenish

Matthew Henry:
"A numerous lasting family, to enjoy this inheritance, pronouncing a blessing upon them, in virtue of which their posterity should extend to the utmost corners of the earth and continue to the utmost period of time. Fruitfulness and increase depend upon the blessing of God:"
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Genesis1&version=KJV

Thank you Deb, and here I thought that "replenish" was my own thinking:lol I didn't know that it was really something others questioned. Thanks for the web sites.

Thank you Deb, and here I thought that "replenish" was my own thinking:lol I didn't know that it was really something others questioned. Thanks for the web sites.

The only reason I researched it a few years ago was because a friend believes in this theory and gave my husband a Dakes Bible that includes this theory, I believe it is in the Scofield notes, as well. Or I wouldn't have known either. :wink

The only reason I researched it a few years ago was because a friend believes in this theory and gave my husband a Dakes Bible that includes this theory, I believe it is in the Scofield notes, as well. Or I wouldn't have known either. :wink

Yep, my edition of Scofield 1967 has a few mentions called "the divine judgment interpretation" Isaiah 45:17,18 note explains a little. After reading up on the gap theory, I have never been satisfied with any of the explanations. Ahh, the imagination of man. From the 1917 edition to the 1967 edition there are quite a few changes.

I grew up thinking Scofields notes were bible just cause they were printed in the same book :sad

Gen 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
Gen 1:27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.
Gen 1:28 And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.

Does this include the beast of revelations

Yep, my edition of Scofield 1967 has a few mentions called "the divine judgment interpretation" Isaiah 45:17,18 note explains a little. After reading up on the gap theory, I have never been satisfied with any of the explanations. Ahh, the imagination of man. From the 1917 edition to the 1967 edition there are quite a few changes.
we could start a thread in Christianity and OTHER religions and discuss scofield.. :hips :topic

Light was a new thing before earth it needed to be made light wasn't needed.. only us blind humans need it to see our way through the darkness both the physical and the spiritual.. Before light as we know it God was the light..

tob

and that's not imo

Light was a new thing before earth it needed to be made light wasn't needed.. only us blind humans need it to see our way through the darkness both the physical and the spiritual.. Before light as we know it God was the light..

tob

and that's not imo
:amen

Chapter 1:26-31 Young's Literal Translation
Gen 1:27 And God prepareth the man in His image; in the image of God He prepared him, a male and a female He prepared them.

This translation of the word 'bara' causes me to see the word create in a broader view. It brings to mind a couple of different verses such as Paul in Thessalonians saying we are body, soul, and spirit, but mostly this scripture in Matthew.

Mat 23:26 `Blind Pharisee! cleanse first the inside of the cup and the plate, that the outside of them also may become clean.

When God prepared man is His image He prepared us with more than a body of clay but also with a soul/spirit. A being prepared with a will and a spirit that was perfectly prepared, to be a reflection of Him. And so I see the cup/bowl as being our souls that were perfectly prepared to walk with Him. God didn't leave anything out of that perfect creation. We started out with a perfectly clean bowl/soul.

I grew up thinking Scofields notes were bible just cause they were printed in the same book :sad

Does this include the beast of revelations

Rev 13:7. Thank Yahweh Jesus will return.

ok that doesn't negate my view of the image of god in men being a spirit of his loving nature dweling in the body of flesh made from the earth not at all. I was going to go to that.

the menorah in jewry was and is considered to be there at the creation. the menorah is symbol of Christ. the shumah, or serveant lamp is the symbol of the messiah. the attributes being seven represent a lot of what jesus said.love, mercy, kindness etc. I have seen recently a man say that the flesh we have is evil. in its self it isn't. a detached limb cant sin. what makes it sin. the marred spirit of the man controlling it. the idea of the nephesh chaya and nephesh are in sink with that idea.

Day 6 Genesis 1:26-31 MAN 4/22/14
God told man to be fruitful and multiply and replenish the earth. I say this very quietly, shhhh, the word replenish to me means to fill back up what was there. But of course there is not a gap theory so it can't be. It must mean go and populate the earth, right? :lol

God is happy with his work and says that it is good.
The modern day usage of replenish has tripped up a many a man, Chopper. Today's mankind is so smart that we need no "stinkin' study." And it was not simple for me to find comments on the usage from the 16th and 17th centuries. And even in that time period it, 'often' and even from my understanding, 'most often' meant to refill but it also was used to express the idea, to fill. i.e. The NASB is about as close to a modern day word for word translation into English to be found and it translates the word as fill. But the lack of appreciation for in depth study has given the average, also, unstudied Atheist a great argument to begin the destruction of the unstudied Christians faith.

This a great study, God bless.

ok that doesn't negate my view of the image of god in men being a spirit of his loving nature dweling in the body of flesh made from the earth not at all. I was going to go to that.

the menorah in jewry was and is considered to be there at the creation. the menorah is symbol of Christ. the shumah, or serveant lamp is the symbol of the messiah. the attributes being seven represent a lot of what jesus said.love, mercy, kindness etc. I have seen recently a man say that the flesh we have is evil. in its self it isn't. a detached limb cant sin. what makes it sin. the marred spirit of the man controlling it. the idea of the nephesh chaya and nephesh are in sink with that idea.
I might have reached down the right side of my wheel chair, hoisted myself to full height and called him to give me scripture for that foolish premise. He is stuck in the physical realm and we do not try to deal with that because the Christ came, through natural birth, from the Spiritual and through death and resurrection He returned to the Spiritual Realm, all of it to sow us the path.

I do like to use one of the most horrible Roman Death Sentences to demonstrate the plight of the Christian but again, the Spiritual must be remembered. In some provinces, if they caught the murderer before the victim was buried the rotting corpse was banded to the murderer's back until the rotting killed him. The christian, likewise, carries our old self around until we pass over and we must always fight against the old man pulling us backwards.

The modern day usage of replenish has tripped up a many a man, Chopper. Today's mankind is so smart that we need no "stinkin' study." And it was not simple for me to find comments on the usage from the 16th and 17th centuries. And even in that time period it, 'often' and even from my understanding, 'most often' meant to refill but it also was used to express the idea, to fill. i.e. The NASB is about as close to a modern day word for word translation into English to be found and it translates the word as fill. But the lack of appreciation for in depth study has given the average, also, unstudied Atheist a great argument to begin the destruction of the unstudied Christians faith.

This a great study, God bless.

Thanks Buddy, It is strange how words can change from one culture or time period to the next.

Back