Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Westboro Baptist Church Music Video

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Just a reminder that this topic is about the Westboro Baptist Church and their music video.

I'm suggesting that Westboro is doing much harm with their mindset. Picketing with signs like "God hates you" and such is not living peaceably with all men. It's stirring the pot.

Look, I'm a fundamentalist myself. I believe that the churches that try to sugarcoat sin are in the wrong. Living in the "Bible belt", I was raised with this belief.
But NONE of the churches or church people I've been around all my life act ANYTHING like Westboro. They don't sugar-coat and tell people they're all right and butter them up--our pastor speaks out against that. But neither do they have us picketing signs spewing hate and turning people away. The Christians I know...they act with love towards people. The Christians I know would agree with me that Westboro is in the wrong. And many of these are fundamentalists, who hold "old-fashioned" beliefs.

And what is Westboro doing? All I've ever seen them do is condemn people. I've never once seen them talk about the gospel, the HOPE that is available through Jesus. They even turned away one of their children because she began speaking out against them. They don't even seem to care. (Been a while since I've seen that video.)

What am I suggesting? I'm suggesting that Westboro is going about this thing the wrong way and only serving to turn people away. Advances are being made for the Gospel and people are coming to Christ--and it's not due to Westboro's efforts, I can tell you that.
I realize that many churches today are spouting wrong doctrines, or doing things wrong. I know. A lot of it is lukewarm. We did do our job better in the past--but not by acting like Westboro.
I just think people will be much more likely to accept the Gospel if we speak in love. We are to take a stand against sin, yes. I agree that we need to speak out against sin. But we're only going to turn people away if we act like we hate them for their sins.
I've seen people come to Christ. At my Bible study, at my church, and at other churches and Christian camps I've been to. But I've never seen it happen through such tactics as "God hates you, faggot".

I'm done. I'm not going to argue this point by point. You and I happen to have many disagreements when it comes to doctrine, and I just don't want to get into it because I know it'll set me off at some point. I have nothing against you. I hold no malice towards you. You seem like a decent guy. It's mainly this subject...WBC sets me off.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm suggesting that Westboro is doing much harm with their mindset. Picketing with signs like "God hates you" and such is not living peaceably with all men. It's stirring the pot.

Look, I'm a fundamentalist myself. I believe that the churches that try to sugarcoat sin are in the wrong. Living in the "Bible belt", I was raised with this belief.
But NONE of the churches or church people I've been around all my life act ANYTHING like Westboro. They don't sugar-coat and tell people they're all right and butter them up--our pastor speaks out against that. But neither do they have us picketing signs spewing hate and turning people away. The Christians I know...they act with love towards people.

And what is Westboro doing? All I've ever seen them do is condemn people. I've never once seen them talk about the gospel, the HOPE that is available through Jesus. They even turned away one of their children because she began speaking out against them. (Been a while since I've seen that video.)

What am I suggesting? I'm suggesting that Westboro is going about this thing the wrong way and only serving to turn people away. Advances are being made for the Gospel and people are coming to Christ--and it's not due to Westboro's efforts, I can tell you that.
I realize that many churches today are spouting wrong doctrines, or doing things wrong. I know. A lot of it is lukewarm.
I just think people will be much more likely to accept the Gospel if we speak in love. We are to take a stand against sin, yes. But we're only going to turn people away if we act like we hate them for their sins.
I've seen people come to Christ. But never through such tactics as "God hates you, faggot".

I'm done. I'm not going to argue this point by point. You and I happen to have many disagreements when it comes to doctrine, and I just don't want to get into it because I know it'll set me off at some point. I have nothing against you. I hold no malice towards you. You seem like a decent guy. It's mainly this subject...WBC sets me off.
Agreed.

1Pe 3:15 but in your hearts honor Christ the Lord as holy, always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and respect,
1Pe 3:16 having a good conscience, so that, when you are slandered, those who revile your good behavior in Christ may be put to shame. (ESV)

There is almost nothing Christ-like in the way Westboro goes about it's business. Everything I have seen of them completely and utterly undermines the gospel.

'The Irish evangelist Gypsy Smith once said, “There are five Gospels. Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, and the Christian, and some people will never read the first four.”'

http://www.apologetics.com/index.ph...-and-reality&catid=96:bonus-content&Itemid=80

I'm sorry, but you're not going to win souls by picketing signs about how much you and God hate everyone else. Especially not if that's all you ever do as far as witnessing goes. That's just going to push people away.

May I remind you that the only people Jesus actually got angry at--from what we see in the Bible at any rate--were the overly religious ones who cared more about flaunting their holiness than they did about the people around them?
And the Apostles in their missionary and ministry work certainly didn't act like WBC.
Honestly, do you even know what WBC does? Here's an example. Watch that, and see if you still consider them to be loving, concerned individuals.
(Of course, I disagree with the text at the end of the video. WBC is very much in the minority, even among fundamental Christians. And Christianity has actually done a lot of good.)

As far as Jeremiah goes, those were different times and different circumstances. From what I gather, Israel already knew how to get back to God--they just didn't want to. (Not to mention they were still under the law back then, rather than grace.)
You'd be surprised how many people in America really don't understand the Gospel. (By that, I mean the message of Salvation.)

And I said I'd stay out of this. =/

Can't we just agree to disagree? I'm not changing my opinion, and I doubt you are either. That's fine with me.

Well, this could have surprised no one. We get a thread about a Westboro Baptist video, and most of the usual participants from the homosexual threads start filling up pages; some trying not to mention it and some just plowing ahead, anyway.

Invariably, homosexuality will be discussed in a topic on the WBC, but it can't turn into a thread simply on the topic that has a moratorium on it.

This thread is locked, while it's clean up.

Thank you. :nod

22 posts were deleted that either forced the conversation into another discussion on homosexuality or were just plain off topic. I understand it's hard to talk about the WBC without broaching the subject, but it's a little obvious when the OP is used by someone simply as a catalyst or vehicle to take the discussion off on a topic that has a moratorium on it.

I'm re-opening this thread. Keep comments specific to the WBC. If you don't think you can harness your comments in this way, it would be better if you passed it by.

Thank you.

Re: Westboro 'Baptist Church' Music Video

Isa. 58
[1] Cry aloud, spare not, lift up thy voice like a trumpet, and shew [[my people]] their transgression, and the house of Jacob their sins.
[2] Yet they seek me daily, and delight to know my ways, as a nation that did righteousness, and forsook not the ordinance of their God: they ask of me the ordinances of justice; they take delight in approaching to God.

Sorry Lord, but we are not allowed to do that. And there is no need for me to just waste your time with a site that allows 'some mods' quickly going more & more restrictive in worldly liberalism.

So, will just pass on this one & then find the Eccl. 3:15 repeats???

--Elijah

I'm sorry, but you're not going to win souls by picketing signs about how much you and God hate everyone else. Especially not if that's all you ever do as far as witnessing goes. That's just going to push people away.

And I said I'd stay out of this. =/

No reason to repeat all of it, but again - please DON'T stay out of this! :thumbsup

Isa. 58
[1] Cry aloud, spare not, lift up thy voice like a trumpet, and shew [[my people]] their transgression, and the house of Jacob their sins.
[2] Yet they seek me daily, and delight to know my ways, as a nation that did righteousness, and forsook not the ordinance of their God: they ask of me the ordinances of justice; they take delight in approaching to God.

Sorry Lord, but we are not allowed to do that. And there is no need for me to just waste your time with a site that allows 'some mods' quickly going more & more restrictive in worldly liberalism.

--Elijah

Again: different times, different circumstances.
But not totally irrelevant.

I'm not saying we shouldn't speak out against sin. I never said that and have gone out of my way to try to make this clear.

Do you honestly think they (Westboro) are speaking out of love and concern as Isiah and Jeremiah were? If you do, then I suspect you don't know much about them. Look up some of the videos on WBC--there are tons on YouTube.

HOW are they supposed to do any good, if they keep the most important part of the message (the message of Salvation) out what they are doing?

There are those who are preaching the truth, that we are sinful, that certain things are wrong and unacceptable, and that our sin separates us from God. Which is why we needed Jesus to make a way for us to be able to approach God.
And they are accomplishing more for God than Westboro ever will, unless they (Westboro) change their ways.

I apologize if I seem uptight or hostile...I'm just surprised that there are Christians who actually approve of Westboro's actions. It's nothing personal.

Question for you guys...
Do you approve of godhatessinners.com, too?
They're very similar to Westboro. They only concentrate on God's hate for sin and extend this to sinners, and forget to include that God loved us enough to sacrifice His Son. Oh yeah, and they told me I was going to Hell just because I don't agree with them, even though I've been saved since I was a kid.
They even include a lovely graphic of someone burning in Hell under the name of each and every banned member, along with the words "banned, going to hell". Classy.

So, look at that site...that's pretty much what Westboro Baptist is like. Still think they're loving?

Granted, godhatessinners.com is likely a satire site made by someone who wants to make Christianity look bad. Westboro, unfortunately, is real.

Once again, I must apologize...normally I try to be as nice as possible. I wanted to butt out because I knew I'd get worked up over this.

Isa. 58

--Elijah

:thumbsup

I apologize if I seem uptight or hostile...I'm just surprised that there are Christians who actually approve of Westboro's actions. It's nothing personal.

Question for you guys...
Do you approve of godhatessinners.com, too?
They're very similar to Westboro. They only concentrate on God's hate for sin and extend this to sinners, and forget to include that God loved us enough to sacrifice His Son. Oh yeah, and they told me I was going to Hell just because I don't agree with them, even though I've been saved since I was a kid.
They even include a lovely graphic of someone burning in Hell under the name of each and every banned member, along with the words "banned, going to hell". Classy.

So, look at that site...that's pretty much what Westboro Baptist is like. Still think they're loving?

Granted, godhatessinners.com is likely a satire site made by someone who wants to make Christianity look bad. Westboro, unfortunately, is real.

Once again, I must apologize...normally I try to be as nice as possible. I wanted to butt out because I knew I'd get worked up over this.

Because, Christ did not ask anyone to preach God's love. But rather, all He preached was about bringing sinners to repentance and forgiveness of sin.

(Luke 24:46-47) Then He said to them, "Thus it is written, and thus it was necessary for the Christ to suffer and to rise from the dead the third day, and that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in His name to all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.

I can't find any reference of Jesus ever saying how much He loved scribes and Pharisees and the merchants in the temple.

And you think Westboro is doing any good, or that it's okay that they're giving us a bad name because their intentions are supposedly pure? You think they're going about this the right way when they are others taking a different approach who are actually accomplishing things that they aren't?

If all we needed to do was repent--and yes, that is part of it--then why are there verses also telling us to belief on Jesus and thou shalt be saved?

As for Jesus loving the Pharisees...we don't need a verse for that specifically because there are verses like John 3:16 saying that "God so loved the world....". Jesus would have died for their sins as well, if they would be willing to accept that.
And plus, what about Nicodemus? He was a Pharisee, I believe, right? He came to Jesus one evening and asked Him questions. And what about Paul?

Okay, that is all. Believe what you want.
I have lots of things I need to go and get accomplished today and I'm not going to sit here and argue for hours. This is only going to go back and forth and repeat itself over and over, and I'm just going to get angrier than I already am and make a jackass out of myself. Let someone else deal with it.

Members of the WBC church have picketed outside many military funerals holding signs with offensive messages such as "God Hates You". The church believes military deaths in Iraq and Afghanistan are God's punishment for U.S. tolerance of fornication and a sign the nation's destruction is imminent.
<O:tongue</O:tongue
In my opinion, using the death of our brave men and women in uniform as a springboard to advance one’s message is an abomination.
I have no problem with hellfire and brimstone messages; however, how the WBC goes about spreading their message goes way beyond what Jesus taught.
This is just my opinion.
Be blessed.
Toby<O:tongue</O:tongue

Quest you have done nothing to apologize for! Your posts have been clear and very Christ like.

I, on the other hand let my granny emotions rule my head and became rude. You youngsters here, are a blessing... your love of the Lord and that which is good shins through an often dim light!

And you think Westboro is doing any good, or that it's okay that they're giving us a bad name because their intentions are supposedly pure? You think they're going about this the right way when they are others taking a different approach who are actually accomplishing things that they aren't?

Because the Christians refuse and don't have the backbone to say the truth as it is: i.e, God hates fornicators and they are going to hell, God will send people and churches like Jeremiah.

If all we needed to do was repent--and yes, that is part of it--then why are there verses also telling us to belief on Jesus and thou shalt be saved?

Did you miss in His Name in the verse I referrred?

(Luke 24:46-47) Then He said to them, "Thus it is written, and thus it was necessary for the Christ to suffer and to rise from the dead the third day, and that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in His name to all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.

As for Jesus loving the Pharisees...we don't need a verse for that specifically because there are verses like John 3:16 saying that "God so loved the world....". Jesus would have died for their sins as well, if they would be willing to accept that.
And plus, what about Nicodemus? He was a Pharisee, I believe, right? He came to Jesus one evening and asked Him questions. And what about Paul?

You missed the next 2 verses showing how much God loved to have already condemned the people who don't believe.
(John 3:16-18) "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved. He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

I'm just going to get angrier than I already am and make a jackass out of myself.

Is this how you will become Christ like and show God's love through Christ? Yet, you blame WBC for preaching 'God's anger on the condemned'.

Hi, Felix ... something that perhaps you didn't know about Westboro Baptist Church: They line up with their signs and shout profanity, saying that God hates the military.... at fallen servicemen & women's funerals! They carry on with the purpose to disrupt funeral services, with total lack of regard to the families and friends who have lost a loved one.

It is with this perspective that many have issues with Westboro.

Hope this helps in some measure to explain the situation.

:wave

Hi, Felix ... something that perhaps you didn't know about Westboro Baptist Church: They line up with their signs and shout profanity, saying that God hates the military.... at fallen servicemen & women's funerals! They carry on with the purpose to disrupt funeral services, with total lack of regard to the families and friends who have lost a loved one.

It is with this perspective that many have issues with Westboro.

Hope this helps in some measure to explain the situation.

:wave
The picket at any military funeral. They picket the families of those loved ones who have died to help keep their right to picket.. sick very sick

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back