Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

What affect does sin have on our will?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Bubba said:
A comment from Bubba: You have a very small god Drew, if he isn't omniscient. Mine is a big, big God and He knows the beginning from the end, because Scripture says so and I believe it.
Quite the opposite.

A God that does not know the future fully and can still accomplish all His purposes is a God of immensely greater sophistication and knowledge than one who "knows how everything will play out".

And readers will judge what the Scriptures really say about this matter.

What say ye about 2 Kings 20:1-7?

Did God not change his mind about the fate of Hezekiah? I am interested in your response.

Bruce Ware writes:

Perhaps the situation is a bit like a father who decides to surprise his teenage son with an outing to see his favorite baseball team play an early-evening game. His son has been hard at work since early morning preparing their garden for planting and getting their lawn in shape, and by this point in the day, he is obviously very tired and ready for some rest. As the father approaches his weary son, he grabs a few lawn tools from the garage and says with enthusiasm, "I thought I would join you back here so we could get in three or four more hours of good work!" Upon hearing this, the son responds by telling his dad that, although he's pretty worn out and hungry from laboring so hard, he'd be happy to keep on working for a few more hours, if this is what his father wants. In response, the father looks back at his son, and with a smile says, "How about instead you and I head for the baseball stadium? We'll catch the evening game and get some hot dogs and peanuts as soon as we get to the park!" The much relieved and deeply grateful son thanks his dad and the two of them get ready to head to the game. The father clearly has "changed" what he had just stated that he and his son would do. Instead of staying home and working together in the yard, they go to the game. Yet inwardly the father's intention from the outset was to take his hardworking son to the game. The manner in which he accomplished this goal, however, involved his son's willing response to continue working as part of the background for announcing his real intention of taking his son to the game. So, in the narrow sense, the father changed course from his stated intention. But in the broad sense, he fulfilled exactly what he had secretly intended all along. But notice: The father only fulfilled this broad intention in the way that he chose by involving his son and through the response of his son (from antithesis.com).

How, then, are we to understand this issue?
From the perspective of the human author of Scripture, the events surrounding an apparent change of God is best recorded in terms that represent adjustment on his part. This is known as a figure of speech called "anthropomorphism." At no time, however, does God's essential nature change, nor is God's knowledge revised based upon conditions and events that "catch him off guard."

God never learns and always knows all things actual and possible, past, present, and future. In some cases, God does not state his full intention when speaking through the biblical author. God knows everything there is to know and he is never "uninformed" or "further enlightened" by human choices and events.

When God is said to "repent" or "relent" it indicates (1) that he is aware of a human situation that has been altered and (2) a desire to act in a way that is perfectly consistent with his character (merciful/just).

To consider ...

God consistently deals with people on the basis of his changeless character and people's responsible moral choices, which he omnisciently included in his eternal plan. In the short scheme of things it appears God is reacting to his creation. But, in the long run, nothing falls outside the divine blueprint. God has some built-in contingencies in his sovereign plan which he is in complete control over all of the time. For example, God's declarations of judgment would come true provided situations remain the same (Ex. 32:9-14; Is. 38:1-6; comp. Jonah 3:4 with Jonah 3:10). However, it is people who change, not God. His purposes, plans, and promises will stand forever. As truly sovereign, he ordains the means as well as the ends. Moreover, God is not bound to use the same strategy to accomplish his purposes. Some things God permits, while other things he directly performs. This is not to say that if God had it to do all over again, he would do things differently. Only, God brings about some of his good purposes conditionally or indirectly, while others he unconditionally or directly accomplishes.

Drew said:
Quite the opposite.

A God that does not know the future fully and can still accomplish all His purposes is a God of immensely greater sophistication and knowledge than one who "knows how everything will play out".

And readers will judge what the Scriptures really say about this matter.

What say ye about 2 Kings 20:1-7?

Did God not change his mind about the fate of Hezekiah? I am interested in your response.

A God who doesn't know the future is not an omniscient or an omniptent God. I'm just glad that the GodI know is. ;-)

Bubba - I hope to respond to your posts if time permits.

I am not suggesting that you are avoiding 2 Kings 20:1-7, but it ultimately needs to dealt with by a person who believes that God knows the future.

Heidi said:
A God who doesn't know the future is not an omniscient or an omniptent God. I'm just glad that the GodI know is. ;-)
What is your precise Biblical justification for the view that God is omniscient in the specific sense of knowing the future fully?

Drew said:
Bubba - I hope to respond to your posts if time permits.

I am not suggesting that you are avoiding 2 Kings 20:1-7, but it ultimately needs to dealt with by a person who believes that God knows the future.

What is your precise Biblical justification for the view that God is omniscient in the specific sense of knowing the future fully?

I did with the Bruce Ware article. Bubba

Bubba said:
I did with the Bruce Ware article. Bubba

Some people like to think that humans run the universe and God is sitting up there sweating out what we humans are going to do. :lol: All they have to do is read the bible to see exactly what God's going to do because He tells us all through the prophets and in Revelations. ;-)

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back