Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

what are you listening to right now?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,038.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Maybe so; I don't know. I guess I was kind of thinking particularly of the tune. Not sure what to say.

Blessings.
Yeah. I like the tune, and I think it fits the show.

But the show is pretty weird, too. Well, that's anime in general for you, actually...but the halloweenish world this show creates (well, sometimes) and it's unique(ish) backgrounds (plus the evil-looking sun and moon) make this one look weird in another way. So naturally, weird was my first impression. xD
But when I decided to finally check it out, after watching the first episode I was like...I think I love this show. xD

Yeah. I like the tune, and I think it fits the show.

But the show is pretty weird, too. Well, that's anime in general for you, actually...but the halloweenish world this show creates (well, sometimes) and it's unique(ish) backgrounds (plus the evil-looking sun and moon) make this one look weird in another way. So naturally, weird was my first impression. xD
But when I decided to finally check it out, after watching the first episode I was like...I think I love this show. xD

questdriven:

I see. Have you sort of been into halloweenish stuff over the years, maybe? I guess I hadn't linked it with a particular type of music before.

Blessings.

questdriven:

I see. Have you sort of been into halloweenish stuff over the years, maybe? I guess I hadn't linked it with a particular type of music before.

Blessings.
No, not really. That may have been partly why it took me so long to check out this one, actually. But there's much more to the show than that as I found out after watching it. It's mainly the artstyle and the city where the characters live that can give you a "Halloween" impression. (Well, that and one of the characters is some sort of Grim Reaper, or "Shinigami" as they call him in the Japanese version. And one of the teachers is a zombie. And there are witches, and "black blood", and a cat with magical powers. Among other things that don't come to mind at the moment.) Although I have come to like those aspects of the show a little. It's different.
(Soul Eater is actually supposed to take place mostly in Nevada, surprisingly. So, since the story is supposed to take place in the US, I can enjoy the English dub without arguing with myself about how it makes no sense for Japanese people to be speaking English.)

Last edited:
No, not really. That may have been partly why it took me so long to check out this one, actually. But there's much more to the show than that as I found out after watching it. It's mainly the artstyle and the city where the characters live that can give you a "Halloween" impression. (Well, that and one of the characters is some sort of Grim Reaper, or "Shinigami" as they call him in the Japanese version. And one of the teachers is a zombie. And there are witches, and "black blood", and a cat with magical powers.) Although I have come to like those aspects of the show a little. It's different.
(Soul Eater is actually supposed to take place mostly in Nevada, surprisingly. So, since the story is supposed to take place in the US, I can enjoy the English dub without arguing with myself about how it makes no sense for Japanese people to be speaking English.)

questdriven:

Well, okay.

I'm not at all into any kind of occult symbolism myself.

But anyway musically I can certainly appreciate some good, wholesome hard rock - especially if it has Christian lyrics. And artistically and aesthetically I can appreciate a bit of straightforward gothic (non-occultic), and its related Renaissance Fayre- and even bodmod-types of styles, I guess.

Blessings.

questdriven:

Well, okay.

I'm not at all into any kind of occult symbolism myself.

But anyway musically I can certainly appreciate some good, wholesome hard rock - especially if it has Christian lyrics. And artistically and aesthetically I can appreciate a bit of straightforward gothic (non-occultic), and its related Renaissance Fayre- and even bodmod-types of styles, I guess.

Blessings.
Not really into gothic stuff. Or occult symbolism. Like I said, the impressions these things gave me when a friend was showing me clips and AMVs from the show were a bit off-puting at first because of these things and the fact that I wasn't used to Japanese animation styles at the time. (They can make some weird faces. xD)
But as I now love checking out new anime series, a couple of weeks ago I decided to check it out and I loved it from the first episode. The art style and halloweenish elements do make it rather unique (at least I've never seen many shows like it, unless they were specifically halloween shows, which this isn't), and I can appreciate the uniqueness.

Not really into gothic stuff. Or occult symbolism. Like I said, the impressions these things gave me when a friend was showing me clips and AMVs from the show were a bit off-puting at first because of these things and the fact that I wasn't used to Japanese animation styles at the time. (They can make some weird faces. xD)
But as I now love checking out new anime series, a couple of weeks ago I decided to check it out and I loved it from the first episode. The art style and halloweenish elements do make it rather unique (at least I've never seen many shows like it, unless they were specifically halloween shows, which this isn't), and I can appreciate the uniqueness.

questdriven:

I guess there is some kind of continuum betweem quality hard rock, Renaissance Fayre style, including some moderate bodmod, and low key gothic. Various manifestations of comparable styles, I guess.

(If this makes sense?)

Blessings.

questdriven:

I guess there is some kind of continuum betweem quality hard rock, Renaissance Fayre style, including some moderate bodmod, and low key gothic. Various manifestations of comparable styles, I guess.

(If this makes sense?)

Blessings.
Yeah, seems like it. Hardcore, dude! xD People also seem to associate metal with some form of masochism, too.

Guess it's why I like lyrics that are almost melancholy. A good deal of hard rock songs are like this.

Yeah, seems like it. Hardcore, dude! xD People also seem to associate metal with some form of masochism, too.

Guess it's why I like lyrics that are almost melancholy. A good deal of hard rock songs are like this.

questdriven:

I think Masochism was a hardcore musical group; were you referring to this?

Yes, within hard rock there is a gothic/melancholy undercurrent, often. As you know, I particularly like Christian hard rock to have clear Christian lyrics, whatever the exact style.

Blessings.

questdriven:

I think Masochism was a hardcore musical group; were you referring to this?

Yes, within hard rock there is a gothic/melancholy undercurrent, often. As you know, I particularly like Christian hard rock to have clear Christian lyrics, whatever the exact style.

Blessings.
No, the act of masochism. I don't think that's necessarily true that metal/hard rock fans are masochistic, but hey we do love us our sad songs. xD

No, the act of masochism. I don't think that's necessarily true that metal/hard rock fans are masochistic, but hey we do love us our sad songs. xD
As much as I like sad music, I prefer my shows to be happy...well, not happy sparkly giggles or anything like that...it's awesome if it has some heartrending parts in it and makes me cry a little. Which well-done anime seems to have that affect on me. But if it doesn't have a happy ending then it just depresses me...like, if you're going to make the characters go through all that stuff, then at least reward them with happiness in the end, right? But maybe it's just my deeply held belief that everything always turns out alright in the end talking.
Unfortunately it seems like Japan loves sad or bittersweet endings, or ones that just confuse the crap out of me so that I have to find some sort of explanation to understand it. But that won't stop me from watching anime. xD

questdriven:

Yes, I completely agree with you that hard rock/heavy metal enthusiasts are not necesssarily into masochism. (Even in the term itself, there are at least two senses; one of which if practised as BDSM in a moderate form and discussed in detail at all by professing Christians, would be among married people; the other refers at varying levels to personality disorder and self-harm.)

Not sure exactly where you were going with the comment about masochism because the term can be used in quite widely distinct ways, anyway.

(Unless you were simply thinking that many hard rock musicians and other get piercings and aren't bothered if they hurt.)

Blessings.

questdriven:

Yes, I completely agree with you that hard rock/heavy metal enthusiasts are not necesssarily into masochism. (Even in the term itself, there are at least two senses; one of which if practised as BDSM in a moderate form and discussed in detail at all by professing Christians, would be among married people; the other refers at varying levels to personality disorder and self-harm.)

Not sure exactly where you were going with the comment about masochism because the term can be used in quite widely distinct ways, anyway.

(Unless you were simply thinking that many hard rock musicians and other get piercings and aren't bothered if they hurt.)

Blessings.
Eh, yeah, there are a lot of meanings.
I'm not into any of that stuff, although I love stories and songs about depression and such for some reason. So I guess maybe in that sense...

Eh, yeah, there are a lot of meanings.
I'm not into any of that stuff, although I love stories and songs about depression and such for some reason. So I guess maybe in that sense...

questdriven:

Yes, I understand how melancholy songs can have their attractions, and that Christian hard rock may be have a melancholy element in it's rigorous style and lyrics.

What I also like in Christian hard rock lyrics is for there to shine forth some element of hope and assurance also, founded on faith in the Christ of the Scriptures.

I think it was Skillet that helped you develop your liking for Christian hard rock, right?

Blessings.

questdriven:

Yes, I understand how melancholy songs can have their attractions, and that Christian hard rock may be have a melancholy element in it's rigorous style and lyrics.

What I also like in Christian hard rock lyrics is for there to shine forth some element of hope and assurance also, founded on faith in the Christ of the Scriptures.

I think it was Skillet that helped you develop your liking for Christian hard rock, right?

Blessings.
Yeah. Skillet has a nice mix of themes in their songs, I think. Sadness, regret, fear, etc in a lot of them but also hope, forgiveness, rise above it, fight for what's right, etc.

I can relate a lot to the song "Good to Be Alive" from their latest album. I want to put some of the lyrics from it into my signature once I figure out how to edit it on this new site.

Red has mostly sad songs, but I love their songs "Who We Are" and "Best is Yet to Come" for their themes of hope.

Yeah. Skillet has a nice mix of themes in their songs, I think. Sadness, regret, fear, etc in a lot of them but also hope, forgiveness, rise above it, fight for what's right, etc.

I can relate a lot to the song "Good to Be Alive" from their latest album. I want to put some of the lyrics from it into my signature once I figure out how to edit it on this new site.

Red has mostly sad songs, but I love their songs "Who We Are" and "Best is Yet to Come" for their themes of hope.

questdriven

Re. Skillet, I think it was also kind of nice that it was your mom who sort of helped you along the way with the Skillet she bought you, as you got into Christian hard rock more.

Blessings.

All together now! Coffee, sodaaa, toffeeee, pastaaa, giiive me coffeeee....!

What, that's not how it goes? Coulda fooled me.

Seriously, though, the lyrics are mostly in another language, so who knows what they are?
The first part is probably something like "I'll be stronger, I'll be faster" in Engrish.

English fandub of Crossing Field, opening 1 from Sword Art Online. With opening footage.

Mkay, last one for now...I probably post too much anime music on here. <.<

SAO is a pretty good anime. And I love the main theme in the above post (edit: more like last post on previous page, actually)--even if the misheard lyrics cannot be unheard and has the potent potential to send me into uncontrollable laughter.

Last edited:

This thing's been stuck in my head for hours. So I'm just going to listen to it again.

Oh yes, and no one will get this video. No one. Unless they're an anime fan like me and/or know something about the anime Soul Eater.

This song is a parody of another song. And I don't care for the original song at all. But I like this parody. I want this video on my iPod so badly.

That aside, jhshgvhg...one day I'd love to be involved in a cosplay skit like this. jhbjhbj Looks like so much fun!

Back