Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

What do we believe about the Resurrection?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Hey folks, I'd to take a minute to ask you to extend to ezrider some respect that I don't think is being shown. This thread is about a topic that has not been presented as yet. I'm very interested in what ezrider has to say. If you take note of my last post, you will see what ezrider is looking for. Can't you put the topic of Jesus being the resurrection and how that would apply to you instead of trying to derail the OP. That is what I see, forgive me if I'm wrong.

I'd like to see more comments on what Christ's resurrection could mean for our lives here on earth before what we all know as the final resurrection of the living and dead. Are you living a resurrected life? Do you know what that even means? Why don't you examine your own theology and see where this topic fits. If all you want to do is harass ezrider, then start your own thread and get to it.

Chopper my dear brother, with all due respect that I have for you I have to disagree.

The Strong's meaning of resurrection is: a standing up again, that is, (literally) a resurrection from death (individual, general or by implication (its author)), or (figuratively) a (moral) recovery (of spiritual truth):

When I was born as a human I didn't come back to life from death, that's the heretical doctrine of reincarnation, I was born for the first time and will live my life and then die.

When I received Christ as my Savior, being born again, I didn't recover my knowledge of spiritual truth, I was conceived in sin born a sinner and lived a life enslaved to sin.

I asked the question about life, but was blown off, ...there are two kinds of life, when we are born that life is called bios (from which we have our word biology) in the Word, when we are born again it's called zoe, which is eternal life that comes only from God, I'm not recovering, rediscovering, ressurecting my zoe life, it's new to me, my great grandfather Adam had both bios and zoe life, but when he rebelled he lost his zoe life and the only life he could pass on to his children is bios life.

WE are created a living soul, we have a spirit and we live inside of a biological body, our spirit is alive, but dead to communication from God and communion with God, that's why Jesus said we must be born again, just like the sperm of our human father fertilized the ovum of our mother and a human bios life was created, so it is when we are born again, the sperm of the Holy Spirit fertilizes a verse of the Word planted in our soul and a new zoe life is created inside of our biological body, which is refered to as regeneration (of our spirit) in the Word, communication with God has been established (not reestablished) and communion with God is now possible for the first time in my life.

I love you and respect you brother Chopper, but the subject of this thread is reincarnation, ...as the OP stated they are his thoughts and do not line up with the Word of God, .......we must protect the young, innocent and unlearned in Christ.

Karl my very good friend. I too have a great amount of respect for you and your theology. I must say that your characterization of this thread being reincarnation is not right. I strongly object to that thinking. Hey, we wouldn't be true to ourselves if we agreed on every point of someones thought process...."Reincarnation" is a rebirth of the soul in successive bodies, one of the series in the transmigration of souls.

I do not see the object of this thread as a teaching that suggests reincarnation. Quite the opposite. I see this as an awakening of my mind and heart to the knowledge that a resurrected Christ Jesus resides in me. For years I have wondered that there has to be more to the Scripture that says that "I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me." Now, If I am crucified with Christ, something in me died just like Jesus died. I'm either going to believe that or just let it pass like I have done and multitudes have as well.

Part of me died on the cross alongside of Jesus, just like one of the thieves. DEAD! Now, the Jesus that is in me according to the Word of God was resurrected from the dead. I am in Christ and He is in me. If He resurrected then I resurrected with Him. I have always wondered, beyond a surface understanding what these verses meant.

2 Corinthians 5:14 For the love of Christ constraineth us; because we thus judge, that if one died for all, then were all dead:
5:15 And that he died for all, that they which live should not henceforth live unto themselves, but unto him which died for them, and rose again.
5:16 Wherefore henceforth know we no man after the flesh: yea, though we have known Christ after the flesh, yet now henceforth know we him no more.
5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

I may be wrong, but this it what I see in this thread started by my very good friend ezrider. I am a new creation of YHWH. So, my thoughts have been "just what does it mean to be a new creation. It's not reincarnation, I'm the same guy that was born in the flesh in 1940. But in 1974 I had a second birth by the grace of God thru the death, burial, and resurrection of Christ Jesus. A new creation! Wow! My life ceased being in bondage to sin, thru Christ, I am in bondage to my Master.

Now that I concentrate on Jesus living in me, and I concentrate on the resurrection of Jesus Who lives in me, my life has to reveal a different spiritual identity. I think that there is a new drive in my heart to live a radical, holy life to please the supernatural Person Who has come into me to be His servant of His righteousness.

If I may comment. This conversation involves an issue of semantics. People are talking about two different things using the same words which causes misunderstanding. The spirit that causes division is present through misunderstandings combined with pride. Blessed are the peacemakers. Now I'll go hang myself because I like what I said.

Last edited:
I know this Scripture ha been fulfilled but what does this have to do with prisoners beings set free from a pit with no water?

Butch5, I did not reference Luke 16:22-24 as a prophecy or characterize it as and prophecy that had been fulfilled. You asked who? Who were the prisoners with no water? I quoted this scripture simply because the rich man in the parable was apparently in the pit both dry and thirsty, so bad so that he was begging for a drop of water from the tip of the finger to cool his tongue. I put nothing more into the verse, just giving you a who.

Anyhow. I have answered some of your questions, maybe not to your satisfaction, but I have given you an answer none the less. But you have not answered my question to you. I have given you the scripture from Matthew 27:50-54 as a recorded documentation of the fulfillment of the Ezekiel 37:12-14 and Zechariah 9:10-11 prophecies, and yet you deny their fulfillment. So if you won't believe whats written in the Bible, then what would it take for you to believe that they have already been fulfilled in Christ?

If you can not respond to my question with an honest answer, then I guess for now we will have nothing more to discuss.

What will it take for you to believe?

The Strong's meaning of resurrection is: a standing up again, that is, (literally) a resurrection from death (individual, general or by implication (its author)), or (figuratively) a (moral) recovery (of spiritual truth):

Thank you Karl, I didn't know that was in the Strong's definition. A recovery of Spiritual truth. That adds volume and depth to my understanding of the promise of the Lord through the resurrection of Christ, that he would send forth the Comforter and Spirit of Truth to dwell within our hearts and there he would make his holy temple. He has established us in his covenant of everlasting peace, that without fear in the face of the law, that we might come the know the Lord. And through his Righteous works, as clay in the potter's hand, we are molded into the image of his Son: Created in the image of Christ.

Recovery of Spiritual Truth. I like that.

ezrider,

Would you please clarify what you believe about the resurrection of the dead?

Do you believe Messiah literally resurrected from the dead?
Do you believe any of his followers will literally resurrect from the dead?
Do you believe all who did not live by faith will literally resurrect from the dead?
Do you believe those who lived by faith such as Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Moses, David, etc., will literally resurrect from the dead?

I think that covers just about everyone. :)

ezrider,

Do you believe all who did not live by faith will literally resurrect from the dead?
Do you believe those who lived by faith such as Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Moses, David, etc., will literally resurrect from the dead?

I think that covers just about everyone. :)

Why do you ask me these questions? To what end are they for? Do you wish for me to describe for you the Glory of the Temple when I am only trying to pull away the weeds so we might look upon its foundation. You may read my thoughts plainly as I have written them.

Why do you ask me these questions? To what end are they for? Do you wish for me to describe for you the Glory of the Temple when I am only trying to pull away the weeds so we might look upon its foundation. You may read my thoughts plainly as I have written them.

They will help me to understand what you believe about the resurrection. Why are you so elusive? It seems to me that you are purposely not laying out your understanding of the resurrection. The title of this thread is, "What do we believe about the Resurrection?" Tell us what you believe by simply answering yes or no to my questions.

Also, I asked you a simple question in my first two posts which you have yet to answer. Your answer will help us to understand what you believe about the resurrection;

"If Abraham is physically dead (as well as Isaac and Jacob), how will the following verse be fulfilled?​

Mat_8:11 And I say unto you, That many shall come from the east and west, and shall sit down with Abraham, and Isaac, and Jacob, in the kingdom of heaven."​

Eph 2:5-6 Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Messiah, (by grace ye are saved;)
And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Messiah Yeshua:​

While it is true that we are resurrected with Messiah in a spiritual sense, it does not negate the FACT that we will be resurrected in a physical sense as well. There are many passages in Scripture that teach this.

Yeshua's resurrection after being dead three days shows it is possible to resurrect from the dead unto eternal life. Lazarus' resurrection shows it is possible to resurrect from the dead, but not unto eternal life (John 11:44). The same holds true for the boy that Paul resurrected after he fell out the window and died (Acts 20:9-12). The patriarchs, Abraham, Isaac and Jacob will be resurrected from physical death to sit in the Kingdom of Heaven (Mt 8:11).

If there is no resurrection from physical death to life again, then all those who died in Messiah are without hope and will remain in their graves forever. We, too, will die without hope.

Eph 2:5-6 Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Messiah, (by grace ye are saved;)
And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Messiah Yeshua:​

While it is true that we are resurrected with Messiah in a spiritual sense, it does not negate the FACT that we will be resurrected in a physical sense as well. There are many passages in Scripture that teach this.

Yeshua's resurrection after being dead three days shows it is possible to resurrect from the dead unto eternal life. Lazarus' resurrection shows it is possible to resurrect from the dead, but not unto eternal life (John 11:44). The same holds true for the boy that Paul resurrected after he fell out the window and died (Acts 20:9-12). The patriarchs, Abraham, Isaac and Jacob will be resurrected from physical death to sit in the Kingdom of Heaven (Mt 8:11).

If there is no resurrection from physical death to life again, then all those who died in Messiah are without hope and will remain in their graves forever. We, too, will die without hope.
I think you have covered all my thoughts on this matter with this post.

Butch5, I did not reference Luke 16:22-24 as a prophecy or characterize it as and prophecy that had been fulfilled. You asked who? Who were the prisoners with no water? I quoted this scripture simply because the rich man in the parable was apparently in the pit both dry and thirsty, so bad so that he was begging for a drop of water from the tip of the finger to cool his tongue. I put nothing more into the verse, just giving you a who.

Anyhow. I have answered some of your questions, maybe not to your satisfaction, but I have given you an answer none the less. But you have not answered my question to you. I have given you the scripture from Matthew 27:50-54 as a recorded documentation of the fulfillment of the Ezekiel 37:12-14 and Zechariah 9:10-11 prophecies, and yet you deny their fulfillment. So if you won't believe whats written in the Bible, then what would it take for you to believe that they have already been fulfilled in Christ?

If you can not respond to my question with an honest answer, then I guess for now we will have nothing more to discuss.

What will it take for you to believe?

You've given partial answers, yes. You gave Lazarus and the Rich Man as an example of one in the pit without water.You gave me two prophecies that you claimed are fulfilled, yet it seems to me that you've only given an opinion as to why you believe these have been fulfilled. I already explained why I don't believe the prophecy in Ezekiel has been fulfilled. Israel has not been taken into the land as the prophesy states. You ave this passage,

51 Then, behold, the veil of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom; and the earth quaked, and the rocks were split,
52 and the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints who had fallen asleep were raised;
53 and coming out of the graves after His resurrection, they went into the holy city and appeared to many. (Mat 27:51-53 NKJ)

How does that fulfill Israel being taken into their land by God?

If you read the rest of the chapter it goes on to tell how they will go into the land and God will dwell among them forever. I don't see that at present so I would appear to me that this has not happened yet.

They will help me to understand what you believe about the resurrection. Why are you so elusive? It seems to me that you are purposely not laying out your understanding of the resurrection. The title of this thread is, "What do we believe about the Resurrection?" Tell us what you believe by simply answering yes or no to my questions.

Also, I asked you a simple question in my first two posts which you have yet to answer. Your answer will help us to understand what you believe about the resurrection;

"If Abraham is physically dead (as well as Isaac and Jacob), how will the following verse be fulfilled?​

Mat_8:11 And I say unto you, That many shall come from the east and west, and shall sit down with Abraham, and Isaac, and Jacob, in the kingdom of heaven."​

First off, I would ask you show a little more patience. I may respond quickly if it is a simple comment, or I may reply within a day or so if I should choose to wait and think upon it before responding in a manner that would best convey my thoughts. Sometimes you may post something that sits quietly for quite some time, and when I go back reviewing what people have said again, I might then see something relevant and respond or comment on it at that time. Please do not try to place any burdens upon me that I must respond to you in any set fashion.

Secondly, I am not being trying to be elusive from your questions. It should be rather obvious to you that I believe in the physical resurrection of Christ. I was not there to witness that particular event though. Yet through and by Faith, not only do I believe that Christ has risen from the dead and has ascended to Throne, but as was he has declared by the Law and through his prophets, and as Jesus promised that he would do, he has sent forth his Spirit to live within me, So that he is in me and I in him, and being in him I am already risen with him to be made in the image of His Resurrection.

Let me say that one more time. I am raised in the image of His Resurrection, not the image of my own. (Rom 6:5)

I don't presume to have all the answers, maybe we will discover them together. The only thing that I know with all my confidence is that JESUS IS THE RESURRECTION, and in my Faith that I am risen with him. The Word of God has come to dwell within my heart. I no longer stumble about in the darkness with my own beliefs, and I stopped stumbling upon the stumbling stone, that I might be built up in him. Set upon a sure foundation, my cornerstone is in Zion. I have ceased from trying to place that stone in the position of my will and understanding. Nor do I have any illusions about trying to steal the rock that I might build my own temple to sit upon it. I am sold in Christ, a living stone built into the heavenly city, resting upon the cornerstone that sits in Zion.

Now if I might for a moment, I have from the opening post laid out my thoughts before you. I have told you what I have come to believe, and I have shared that with you, it is up to you to read and hear it. And yet you still demand to have these "simple" yes or no answers to your questions. I normally don't pay attention to such things, and I'll respond the same no matter what, but I see from you account status that you have declared yourself to not be a Christian. So If you do not believe in Christ, what does it really matter to you what I believe then? If you don't believe Christ, why should you believe me?

But I see what you have done in asking your questions, even if you do not. You are not interested in what I believe about the resurrection, I have given you already what I believe. What you want me to do is give a yes or no answer to see If I believe in the manner that you do, and you are looking to see if you can find fault with my beliefs according to the doctrine of jocor. I will not answer these types of question. If you wish me to expound on something I have said, seeking further clarity so that you might understand it, then by all means ask.

You did the same thing with Matthew 22:32 as you did with your questions. You have characterized Abraham, Isaac and Jacob within the context of your own beliefs about the resurrection, and again you wish me to comment on your characterization of the resurrection. I have brought absolutely no assumptions into this topic. Again. It is there for you to read in the OP. I started with the premise of what Jesus taught us about the resurrection. The first thing I saw in the scripture was Jesus saying you hold the doctrine of the resurrection in error. Not knowing the scripture or the power of God. So the first question is obvious. How to we hold this doctrine in error, and what am I missing from the scripture? It seemed to me that both the Sadducees and Martha spoke to a resurrection at the last day, and Jesus said they were in error. Jesus said I AM THE RESURRECTION and the LIFE. The question is not in what I believe. The question is do you really believe what's written on the pages of your Bible? Or do you only use it as your justification to glory in the sins of another? The power of the Spirit only comes through Faith. And the Just shall live by Faith, and yet not by our own faith, but by the FAITH of HIM who LIVES in me.

You've given partial answers, yes. You gave Lazarus and the Rich Man as an example of one in the pit without water.You gave me two prophecies that you claimed are fulfilled, yet it seems to me that you've only given an opinion as to why you believe these have been fulfilled. I already explained why I don't believe the prophecy in Ezekiel has been fulfilled. Israel has not been taken into the land as the prophesy states. You ave this passage,

51 Then, behold, the veil of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom; and the earth quaked, and the rocks were split,
52 and the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints who had fallen asleep were raised;
53 and coming out of the graves after His resurrection, they went into the holy city and appeared to many. (Mat 27:51-53 NKJ)

How does that fulfill Israel being taken into their land by God?

If you read the rest of the chapter it goes on to tell how they will go into the land and God will dwell among them forever. I don't see that at present so I would appear to me that this has not happened yet.

If you would actually answer the question that I asked you, then I might be more incline to respond to these question. But how am I to respond, if you can not first tell me what it will take for you to believe? And I can rest assuredly, that my answer to your question will not satisfy you to the way that you believe, because you too are looking at this as the resurrection at the last day, instead of how we exist within the Resurrection of Christ in our relationship to the Lord himself.

So one last time, what will it take to make you believe?

Good morning ezrider. In my devotion this morning in John Chapter twelve, I read this verse and because of your thread on Jesus is the resurrection, it gave me new thoughts.... John 12:24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die, it abideth alone: but if it die, it bringeth forth much fruit.
12:25 He that loveth his life shall lose it; and he that hateth his life in this world shall keep it unto life eternal.
12:26 If any man serve me, let him follow me; and where I am, there shall also my servant be: if any man serve me, him will my Father honour.

There is something about the words "Where I am, there shall also my servant be." These are my thoughts. Since I have reckoned myself to be in the resurrection of Christ Jesus, my life has changed. I am no longer attached to the earth or flesh, which produces sin because of the Law or for that matter, any law. The resurrected me in Christ obeys because it is my nature to obey just like it's my nature to obey Jesus.

Galatians 2:20 "I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me." This has been the topic of many Bible studies and posts because it has so much theology in it.... What I see in this is a resurrected Jesus living in me. If the resurrected Jesus lives in me, then I must reckon that I am resurrected with Him, we are together. Just by knowing this, there is a force within me that wants to do good and please the Lord Who resides in me.

So I want to thank you for this thread, it has opened new thinking and knowledge to me that is important.

Thank you Chopper, very well said. There is nothing I need to add to what you have said.

The one thing that stood out in a way, is the characterization that until the seed first fall into the ground and die, it abides alone.
Under sin and death we are apart from the Lord, cut off as were from the garden of God. Even under the old covenant, they remained apart from God, who had separated himself to place his power in a wooden box for them to carry around. Yet until the seed fall in the ground and die it abideth alone and cut off from God. Only when we accept our own death in judgement, can we know that we have been buried with Him in his death, that we may walk in His kingdom a new living Spirit in the Faith of the resurrection of Christ, no longer cut off and abiding alone, because he has sent forth his Spirit to dwell within our hearts.

Yet they do not see this because they continue to stumble upon Christ the stumbling stone, not content with his sure foundation. Yet how might it be that they continue to stumble. Would it not be because they already think of themselves as alive, never coming to the knowledge of their own death in Christ. Instead of the cross being the power of their salvation, it has become a snare unto them. They continue to cast their sins upon his sacrifice that they might stay the stain of sin, holding off their own death until the time of their of their own resurrection. Yet he will say to them in that day. Depart from me you workers of iniquity, I never knew you.

I have fulfilled the law in confessing my sin unto death, and I have accepted the punishment thereof for myself. And in my repentance, I found his forgiveness and I believed; then he showed me his Grace, and this too I believed. It was then I moved into a new covenant living relationship with the Spirit of the Lord whom he has sent forth to dwell within me.

I have move on from the covenant that demanded a sacrifice, to a new and better covenant, with better promises. A covenant that demands no sacrifice, for the Grace of God through the power of the resurrection of Christ is sufficient enough for me.

Let me say that one more time. I am raised in the image of His Resurrection, not the image of my own. (Rom 6:5)

One more time with a different emphasis that you might stop and consider. For as you like to say in your churches, your very souls may be at stake. Is that not worth a thought or two?

I am raised a new creature through the resurrection of Christ to be formed into the image of Christ by the power of His Spirit. I am raised in the image of His resurrection, not the image of my own. I have given up mine own resurrection at the last day, that I might be a partaker of the life in his resurrection. For if I were to wait for the resurrection at the last day, then surely I would have been raised in the image of my death. For the resurrection at the last day is the second death. Blessed and holy is he who hath part in the first resurrection. On such the second death hath no power.

Is that the resurrection that you have placed you hope upon? The resurrection at the last day where you shall stand in the face of judgement to the second death and the lake of fire, and judged according to your own works and not the righteous works of Christ, with no assurance other than being raised in the image of your own death.

ezrider,

See, patience is a virtue. Because I have finally found my answers to them.

YES. If Christ be not risen from the dead, then I am not risen and there is no resurrection.

YES, they will be resurrected together in the first resurrection with Christ, raised in the image of Christ, and Son of God and inheritor of all the promises that belongs to the first fruit.

YES. Because they did not live by faith and listen for the voice of the Lord, that they may obey him. They trusted to his letter instead. Forever holding on to its promises of salvation in hopes of life ever after, but never exercising the faith that they truly might believe. Or maybe they never heard his voice to begin with because they set themselves in the seat of Moses judging the Word of God. Yes, they too shall be resurrected at the Last Day and they shall be judged according to their own works, in the face of the lake of fire, resurrected to the second death.

YES, They shall be RESURRECTED in the LAST DAY in their OWN IMAGE. To EVERLASTING SHAME, in the image of their DEATH.

YES, they were resurrected with Christ through the power of his resurrection.

Now I have answered your questions, will you answer mine? What will it take for you to believe?

Now I have answered your questions, will you answer mine? What will it take for you to believe?

Thanks for answering my questions. It will not take anything for me to believe because I already believe.

In your other post you wrote, "I normally don't pay attention to such things, and I'll respond the same no matter what, but I see from you account status that you have declared yourself to not be a Christian. So If you do not believe in Christ, what does it really matter to you what I believe then? If you don't believe Christ, why should you believe me?"

Christians are not the only ones that believe in Christ/Messiah. I received him as my Master and Savior thirty years ago. I know him to be the Messiah of YHWH. He is my only hope. It is through his resurrection that I now live a new life and it is through his promise that I have a hope of being resurrected from physical death to eternal life in the Kingdom.

Matthew 22:23-33 The same day came to him the Sadducees, which say that there is no resurrection, and asked him, Saying, Master, Moses said, If a man die, having no children, his brother shall marry his wife, and raise up seed unto his brother. Now there were with us seven brethren: and the first, when he had married a wife, deceased, and, having no issue, left his wife unto his brother: Likewise the second also, and the third, unto the seventh. And last of all the woman died also. Therefore in the resurrection whose wife shall she be of the seven? for they all had her. Jesus answered and said unto them, Ye do err, not knowing the scriptures, nor the power of God. For in the resurrection they neither marry, nor are given in marriage, but are as the angels of God in heaven. But as touching the resurrection of the dead, have ye not read that which was spoken unto you by God, saying, I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob? God is not the God of the dead, but of the living. And when the multitude heard this, they were astonished at his doctrine.

From these passages and from Acts 23:8 we are told that the Sadducees say there is no resurrection, but the Pharisees did believe in a resurrection. As to what the Pharisees actually believed I do not know, but the line of questioning the Sadducees are applying here tends toward the belief in a physical bodily resurrection where they will once again pick up their lives in heaven. But to this line of thinking Jesus told them they were in error, not knowing the scriptures or the power of God. And then he corrected them saying God is not the God of the dead, but of the living. I wonder if Martha believed in a resurrection like the Pharisees or as the Sadducees tried depicting it?
Mat 22:23 The same day Sadducees came to him, who say that there is no resurrection, and they asked him a question,
Mat 22:24 saying, "Teacher, Moses said, 'If a man dies having no children, his brother must marry the widow and raise up children for his brother.'
Mat 22:25 Now there were seven brothers among us. The first married and died, and having no children left his wife to his brother.
Mat 22:26 So too the second and third, down to the seventh.
Mat 22:27 After them all, the woman died.
Mat 22:28 In the resurrection, therefore, of the seven, whose wife will she be? For they all had her."
Mat 22:29 But Jesus answered them, "You are wrong, because you know neither the Scriptures nor the power of God.
Mat 22:30 For in the resurrection they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are like angels in heaven.
Mat 22:31 And as for the resurrection of the dead, have you not read what was said to you by God:
Mat 22:32 'I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob'? He is not God of the dead, but of the living." (ESV)

First we need to understand what the Sadducees are doing. They did not believe in the resurrection, as verse 23 states. So why did they bother coming to Jesus with this story? It seems clear that they are trying to show Jesus how absurd the idea is of the resurrection of the body. For this they appeal to the authority of the Law--"Moses said"--in Deut. 25:5-6. And then, to make their point, all that was needed were two husbands but they continued to seven husbands, which serves to prove the point that they were merely trying to show the absurdity of bodily resurrection.

Now we have the information necessary to understand Jesus' reply. When he says, "You are wrong, because you know neither the Scriptures nor the power of God," he is referring to the facts that the Law in Deut. 25:5-6 applies only to the living, not the afterlife, and that the OT teaches in various places about the bodily resurrection of the dead. Hence, they did not know the Scriptures. Also, in denying the power of God, they not only deny God's ability to resurrect the dead, they deny that his power can change the resurrection body in such a way that marriage is no longer necessary. And that is what verse 30 is saying--"For in the resurrection they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are like angels in heaven."

It is also very important here to note what Jesus isn't saying. He isn't saying there is no resurrection of the dead or that the resurrection means something different than what the Pharisees believe (what the Pharisees believe on the matter isn't even implied here), which is made clear by his words, "For in the resurrection." Jesus is supporting his assertion that the Sadducees do not know the power of God because God will, at the resurrection, change the bodies of the former dead so that "they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are like angels in heaven."

As for verses 31 and 32, Jesus is implying that Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob are still living and awaiting the resurrection of their bodies.

And all that is supported by Acts 23:8, "For the Sadducees say that there is no resurrection, nor angel, nor spirit, but the Pharisees acknowledge them all" (ESV). Jesus has just shown the Sadducees to be wrong on all counts.

As for evidence that the OT teaches a bodily resurrection, to prove that Jesus is not denying a bodily resurrection but showing the Sadducees that they do not know the Scriptures, I submit the following (all from ESV):

Job 19:25 For I know that my Redeemer lives, and at the last he will stand upon the earth.
Job 19:26 And after my skin has been thus destroyed, yet in my flesh I shall see God,
Job 19:27 whom I shall see for myself, and my eyes shall behold, and not another. My heart faints within me!

Psa 17:15 As for me, I shall behold your face in righteousness; when I awake, I shall be satisfied with your likeness.

Isa 26:19 Your dead shall live; their bodies shall rise. You who dwell in the dust, awake and sing for joy! For your dew is a dew of light, and the earth will give birth to the dead.

There are others, including Eze. 27:1-14, but that should suffice.

John 11:24-26 Martha saith unto him, I know that he shall rise again in the resurrection at the last day. Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?

I will have more to say on this passage as it relates to John 5:28-29 and Rev 20:5-6 later on, but for now I want to stay focused on Martha’s belief in a resurrection at the last day, and Jesus correcting her saying I am the Resurrection. This is the first key to understanding the resurrection of the dead: JESUS IS THE RESURRECTION.
You are ignoring the context.

Joh 11:21 Martha said to Jesus, "Lord, if you had been here, my brother would not have died.
Joh 11:22 But even now I know that whatever you ask from God, God will give you."
Joh 11:23 Jesus said to her, "Your brother will rise again."
Joh 11:24 Martha said to him, "I know that he will rise again in the resurrection on the last day."
Joh 11:25 Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. Whoever believes in me, though he die, yet shall he live,
Joh 11:26 and everyone who lives and believes in me shall never die. Do you believe this?" (ESV)

In verse 22 Martha hints that even though her brother is dead, Jesus could raise him again by asking God. Jesus then tells her what was going to soon happen, that Lazarus was indeed going to be raised from the dead. Martha mistakes Jesus' statement as referring to the final resurrection of all the dead. This supports everything given in this post thus far, that many Jews, based on Scripture, believed in the bodily resurrection of the dead at the consummation of all things.

Jesus' response to that, in verse 25, in no way whatsoever denies this reality--of the bodily resurrection on the last day. If it did, he would be contradicting the OT. Jesus is saying that he is "the resurrection and the life" in person. Apart from him there is no resurrection, no life. He is saying this to hint to Martha that he could raise Lazarus of his own accord. Jesus is not correcting Martha's belief "in the resurrection on the last day."

Simply put, there is absolutely nothing in what Jesus says here that denies or otherwise proves false a final bodily resurrection of the dead.

Back