Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

What does the Word say about the Law of YHWH which, in reality, is the Law of Moses?

We've already covered this. Were done with that. There is no point of discussion left with that.

So please answer my question by acknowledging you agree, that the law of Moses was abolished, [removed] from the covenant.

JLB

I asked if your doctrine says the laws of Moses was 'destroyed'--Strong's #2647 katalyō?

"I did not come to abolish (destroy--katalyō) but to fulfill." (Matthew 5:17 NASB parenthesis mine)

That's all I'm asking.

17 "Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I did not come to destroy but to fulfill. Matthew 5:17

The law here is a reference to the Torah, the first five books of the bible.

The subject, is fulfilling.

Jesus certainly fulfilled what the prophets foretold about Him, as well as what the OT Torah prophesied about Him.

In that regard, and in that context, Jesus certainly did not destroy what the Prophets and the Torah, prophesied about Him, which would be for Him not to fulfill the thing prophesied about Him.

That would be how He would have destroyed the Torah and the Prophets, by not fulfilling what they prophesied about Him.

Again Jesus is not referring to the law of Moses, but to the Torah.

Paul on the other hand uses this word, destroyed (katalyō) in association with the law of Moses.

14 But when I saw that they were not straightforward about the truth of the gospel, I said to Peter before them all, "If you, being a Jew, live in the manner of Gentiles and not as the Jews, why do you compel Gentiles to live as Jews?
We who are Jews by nature, and not sinners of the Gentiles,
16 knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law but by faith in Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Christ Jesus, that we might be justified by faith in Christ and not by the works of the law; for by the works of the law no flesh shall be justified.
17 But if, while we seek to be justified by Christ, we ourselves also are found sinners, is Christ therefore a minister of sin? Certainly not!
18 For if I build again those things which I destroyed, I make myself a transgressor.
19 For I through the law died to the law that I might live to God. Galatians 2:14-19

Here Paul is clearly referring to the law of Moses which he as a master teacher and instructor, dismantles, and dissolves and destroys, piece by piece, so as to see that the hypocrisy that Peter displayed would not corrupt the Church of the living God.

Paul said he destroyed what the law of Moses did in relationship to erecting a wall between Jew and Gentile.
This dividing wall that separated the Jew from the Gentile, and disallowed the Jew from eating with or intermarrying, and associating with Gentiles came from the law of Moses.

Paul called this the law of Commandments contained in ordinances. Ephesians 2:14

Yes my doctrine says the law of Moses was abolished, removed from the covenant, blotted out, nailed to the cross, and destroyed, so as to dissolve the middle wall of separation that might divide God's Kingdom.

JLB

17 "Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I did not come to destroy but to fulfill. Matthew 5:17

The law here is a reference to the Torah, the first five books of the bible.
[...]
Again Jesus is not referring to the law of Moses, but to the Torah.
The passage plainly shows us Jesus was talking about the commandments of the law of Moses not being destroyed:

"17 "Do not think that I came to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I did not come to abolish but to fulfill. 18 "For truly I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or stroke shall pass from the Law until all is accomplished. 19 "Whoever * then annuls one of the least of these commandments, and teaches others to do the same, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever * keeps and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven. 20 "For I say to you that unless * your righteousness surpasses that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will not enter the kingdom of heaven." (Matthew 5:17-20 NASB bold mine)

So, that part is settled. He was indeed referring to the commandments within the law of Moses, not just the prophecies about himself.

Paul on the other hand uses this word, destroyed (katalyō) in association with the law of Moses.
No, that is not true. Paul did not say Christ 'destroyed' the law. Here it is again:

Jesus used the word 'destroy' in Matthew 5:17 NASB. to describe what he will not do to the commandments of the law. Strong's #2647 katalyō
http://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/lexicon/lexicon.cfm?Strongs=G2647&t=KJV

Paul used the word 'abolish' in Ephesians 2:15 NASB to describe what Christ did to the commandments of the law. Strong's #2673 katargeō
http://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/lexicon/lexicon.cfm?Strongs=G2673&t=KJV

Paul's explanation of what Christ did to the law--the laying aside of the law--is not in contention here. What I'm addressing is the 'destroying' of the law of Moses that Jesus spoke about. Did Jesus 'destroy' the laws of Moses?

Yes my doctrine says the law of Moses was abolished, removed from the covenant, blotted out, nailed to the cross, and destroyed, so as to dissolve the middle wall of separation that might divide God's Kingdom.
By definition 'abolish' and 'destroy' are two different things. But your doctrine is defining them as categorically and exactly the same thing. But they are different, and Jesus said he did not come to destroy the law, but instead, to fulfill it, referring to not only the prophecies about him, but as I pointed out, was referring to the laws of Moses too.

So we have the laws of Moses that were laid aside with the coming of Christ (what Paul is talking about), and we have the laws of Moses NOT being destroyed with the coming of Christ (what Jesus is talking about). Two different things entirely. But the church has the law of Moses destroyed as if 'abolished', as Paul uses the English translated word, means destroyed, which it does not.

So, this being true, what are the implications for a law that is laid aside (as it surely is), but not destroyed as the church erroneously says it is? Jesus himself shows us that what happens instead of the law being destroyed, it gets fulfilled.

So, that part is settled. He was indeed referring to the commandments within the law of Moses, not just the prophecies about himself.

Sorry bro

The phrase law and prophets does not mean exclusively law of Moses.

It is a reference to all the Torah and the Prophets, unless you think the the word Prophets is a reference to mean exclusively "law of Moses".

Jesus said He came to fulfill and He did.

That is why Paul clearly said the law was abolished in His flesh.

That is why the scripture says The Word (law) became flesh, and the law was nailed to the cross, being blotted out.

That is why Paul said he would not build again the very thing he destroyed, the law of Moses, that divided the people of God.

Do you believe the law of Moses is a part of the New Covenant?

JLB

19 Whoever therefore breaks one of the least of these commandments, and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever does and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

"these Commandments" that He is referring to is not the law of Moses but the law of Christ.

Jesus changed the law of Moses, and it is now called the law of Christ.

You have heard it said = law of Moses

But I say to you = law of Christ

21 "You have heard that it was said to those of old, 'You shall not murder, and whoever murders will be in danger of the judgment.'
22 But I say to you that whoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment. And whoever says to his brother, 'Raca!' shall be in danger of the council. But whoever says, 'You fool!' shall be in danger of hell fire.
23 Therefore if you bring your gift to the altar, and there remember that your brother has something against you,
24 leave your gift there before the altar, and go your way. First be reconciled to your brother, and then come and offer your gift.
25 Agree with your adversary quickly, while you are on the way with him, lest your adversary deliver you to the judge, the judge hand you over to the officer, and you be thrown into prison.
26 Assuredly, I say to you, you will by no means get out of there till you have paid the last penny.
27 "You have heard that it was said to those of old, 'You shall not commit adultery.'
28 But I say to you that whoever looks at a woman to lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart.
29 If your right eye causes you to sin, pluck it out and cast it from you; for it is more profitable for you that one of your members perish, than for your whole body to be cast into hell.
30 And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and cast it from you; for it is more profitable for you that one of your members perish, than for your whole body to be cast into hell.
31 "Furthermore it has been said, 'Whoever divorces his wife, let him give her a certificate of divorce.'
32 But I say to you that whoever divorces his wife for any reason except sexual immorality causes her to commit adultery; and whoever marries a woman who is divorced commits adultery.
33 "Again you have heard that it was said to those of old, 'You shall not swear falsely, but shall perform your oaths to the Lord.'
34 But I say to you, do not swear at all: neither by heaven, for it is God's throne;
35 nor by the earth, for it is His footstool; nor by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the great King.
36 Nor shall you swear by your head, because you cannot make one hair white or black.
37 But let your 'Yes' be 'Yes,' and your 'No,' 'No.' For whatever is more than these is from the evil one.
38 "You have heard that it was said, 'An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.'
39 But I tell you not to resist an evil person. But whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also.
40 If anyone wants to sue you and take away your tunic, let him have your cloak also.
41 And whoever compels you to go one mile, go with him two.
42 Give to him who asks you, and from him who wants to borrow from you do not turn away.
43 "You have heard that it was said, 'You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.'
44 But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you,
45 that you may be sons of your Father in heaven; for He makes His sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust.
46 For if you love those who love you, what reward have you? Do not even the tax collectors do the same?
47 And if you greet your brethren only, what do you do more than others? Do not even the tax collectors do so?
48 Therefore you shall be perfect, just as your Father in heaven is perfect.

Therefore, if perfection were through the Levitical priesthood (for under it the people received the law), what further need was there that another priest should rise according to the order of Melchizedek, and not be called according to the order of Aaron? Hebrews 7:11

For the priesthood being changed, of necessity there is also a change of the law. Hebrews 7:12

JLB

Sorry bro

The phrase law and prophets does not mean exclusively law of Moses.

It is a reference to all the Torah and the Prophets, unless you think the the word Prophets is a reference to mean exclusively "law of Moses".
This is what I said:

How did you get out of that I think Jesus was only talking about the laws of Moses when he said "Do not think that I came to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I did not come to abolish but to fulfill." (Matthew 5:17 NASB)?

Jesus said He came to fulfill and He did.

That is why Paul clearly said the law was abolished in His flesh.

That is why the scripture says The Word (law) became flesh, and the law was nailed to the cross, being blotted out.
Yeah, we all know this. Christ abolishes, katargeō, some old literal commandments in a setting aside of various commandments connected with the temple. This is not in contention.

But did Christ destroy, katalyō, the law of Moses?

Do you believe the law of Moses is a part of the New Covenant?
I believe Christ, and faith in him-our obedience--fulfills the law of Moses, not destroys it, in this New Covenant. It's a part of this New Covenant in that way. But the church at large thinks the law of Moses was destroyed, even being replaced with another law altogether.

Last edited:
For the priesthood being changed, of necessity there is also a change of the law. Hebrews 7:12
That change being we don't have to keep various literal commands connected with the temple anymore in the way Moses prescribed (Hebrews 10:8-9 NASB), while others remain unchanged (Romans 13:8-10 NASB).

That change being we don't have to keep various literal commands connected with the temple anymore in the way Moses prescribed (Hebrews 10:8-9 NASB), while others remain unchanged (Romans 13:8-10 NASB).

The commandments of God did not originate with Moses, as Abraham obeyed God's commandments and laws, which were the laws of the Abrahamic Covenant, of which the Children of Israel transgressed 430 years before the law was given.

17 And this I say, that the law, which was four hundred and thirty years later, cannot annul the covenant that was confirmed before by God in Christ, Galatians 3:17

I believe Christ, and faith in him-our obedience--fulfills the law of Moses, not destroys it, in this New Covenant.

The law is not of faith.

Yet the law is not of faith, but "the man who does them shall live by them." Galatians 3:12

The law of commandments contained in ordinances, which separated the Jew from the Gentile, has been abolished.
Ephesians 2:14-15

What is so amazingly frightening, is that so seek to undo, what the Lord sent Paul, who being a masterful scholar of the law, worked so hard to dismantle the very law of Moses that you are attempting to bring Christians to keep.

...why do you compel Gentiles to live as Jews?

Do you know which group of people, try's to compel Gentile Christians to live as Jews?

The very ones you have learned your doctrine from, and have come under their influence.

14 But when I saw that they were not straightforward about the truth of the gospel, I said to Peter before them all, "If you, being a Jew, live in the manner of Gentiles and not as the Jews, why do you compel Gentiles to live as Jews?
15 We who are Jews by nature, and not sinners of the Gentiles,
16 knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law but by faith in Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Christ Jesus, that we might be justified by faith in Christ and not by the works of the law; for by the works of the law no flesh shall be justified.
17 But if, while we seek to be justified by Christ, we ourselves also are found sinners, is Christ therefore a minister of sin? Certainly not!
18 For if I build again those things which I destroyed, I make myself a transgressor.
For I through the law died to the law that I might live to God. Galatians 2:14-19

Paul worked to destroy the very law of commandments that divided God's Kingdom.

Paul says of himself if he tried to build again those things which He destroyed, he himself would make himself to be a transgressor.

Those who try to bring Christians under the law of Moses, are making themselves to be transgressors.

JLB

But did Christ destroy, katalyō, the law of Moses?

He said He did not come to destroy the Law [Torah] and the Prophets.

Paul himself said he worked to destroy the law, the very thing that divided God's people.

JLB

"Do not think that I came to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I did not come to abolish but to fulfill." (Matthew 5:17 NASB)

Jesus did not come to cast down (destroy) the law of Moses. He came so that it would be fulfilled. He fulfills the types and shadows of the law of Moses for us when we have faith in him, and we fulfill the law of Moses through that same faith expressed in our obedience.

That new way of fulfilling the law of Moses through our faith does mean various commandments in the law of Moses are taken out of the way as to their literal Mosaic fulfillment (not their spiritual fulfillment), but which are fulfilled, not destroyed, nonetheless, in this New Covenant by our faith.

"Do not think that I came to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I did not come to abolish but to fulfill." (Matthew 5:17 NASB)

Jesus did not come to cast down (destroy) the law of Moses. He came so that it would be fulfilled. He fulfills the types and shadows of the law of Moses for us when we have faith in him, and we fulfill the law of Moses through that same faith expressed in our obedience.

Unfortunately for your doctrine, Jesus does not refer to the law of Moses, but the Torah and the Prophets, which all had prophecies that pointed to Christ.

Your doctrine is short sided in this manner, and only see's the law of Moses, in Matthew 5.

That new way of fulfilling the law of Moses through our faith... .

If you want to teach people that they are obligated to fulfill, an obsolete law, that was nailed to the cross, and has vanished away, "in some new way", then that is between you and God.

I only draw your attention to the words of Paul -

I marvel that you are turning away so soon from Him who called you in the grace of Christ, to a different gospel,
which is not another; but there are some who trouble you and want to pervert the gospel of Christ.
But even if we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel to you than what we have preached to you, let him be accursed.
Galatians 1:6-8

We are called to fulfill the law of Christ... Bear one another's burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ. Galatians 6:2

37 Jesus said to him, "'You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.'
38 This is the first and great commandment.
39 And the second is like it: 'You shall love your neighbor as yourself.'
40 On these two commandments hang all the Law [Torah] and the Prophets."
Matthew 22:37-40

JLB

Unfortunately for your doctrine, Jesus does not refer to the law of Moses, but the Torah and the Prophets, which all had prophecies that pointed to Christ.

Your doctrine is short sided in this manner, and only see's the law of Moses, in Matthew 5.
No, it doesn't only see the law of Moses.
Jesus, and faith in him, fulfills all the prophecies in the OT about him (i.e. Matthew 4:14-15 NASB), as well as the types and shadows contained in the cyclical temple commands (i.e. 1 Corinthians 5:7 NASB), and the relational commands, too (i.e. Romans 13:8-10 NASB). Christ, and faith in him, fulfills ALL the law and the prophets--the prophecies, the temple worship, and relational requirements of God. My doctrine includes all of these. Jesus said he did not come to destroy any of them, but to fulfill them (Matthew 5:17-18 NASB).

If you want to teach people that they are obligated to fulfill, an obsolete law, that was nailed to the cross, and has vanished away, "in some new way", then that is between you and God.
Well, I give you credit for having a fairly good summation of my argument. Not perfect, but fairly good.
Even though you do seem to then turn right around and say stuff as if you don't understand it all (see next)...

I only draw your attention to the words of Paul -

I marvel that you are turning away so soon from Him who called you in the grace of Christ, to a different gospel,
which is not another; but there are some who trouble you and want to pervert the gospel of Christ.
But even if we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel to you than what we have preached to you, let him be accursed.
Galatians 1:6-8
Lol, I suppose if I was telling people they have to keep the literal letter of the law of Moses...and, do that in order to be justified before God you'd have an argument. But as it is, even you know that's not what my argument is.

We are called to fulfill the law of Christ... Bear one another's burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ. Galatians 6:2
Right.
The law of Moses (minus) the literal way to keep the various temple commands (equals) the law of Christ.

You see, we're in Christ now. The old literal way to fulfill the temple requirements is not needed by, and therefore, not applicable to, the perfect body of Christ. His law is the law of Moses minus that which his death set out of the way for us, but which was fulfilled, nonetheless, not destroyed. For he said he did not come to destroy the law, "but to fulfill" (Matthew 5:17-18 NASB).

No, it doesn't only see the law of Moses.
Jesus, and faith in him, fulfills all the prophecies in the OT about him (i.e. Matthew 4:14-15 NASB), as well as the types and shadows contained in the cyclical temple commands (i.e. 1 Corinthians 5:7 NASB), and the relational commands, too (i.e. Romans 13:8-10 NASB). Christ, and faith in him, fulfills ALL the law and the prophets--the prophecies, the temple worship, and relational requirements of God. My doctrine includes all of these. Jesus said he did not come to destroy any of them, but to fulfill them (Matthew 5:17-18 NASB).

Amen, Jesus fulfilled them.

So the qualifications have been met, for things to pass away from the law, such as the law of Moses.

Take physical circumcision, and the levitical priesthood away from the law of Moses, and it is no longer the law of Moses.

Therefore, if perfection were through the Levitical priesthood (for under it the people received the law), what further need was there that another priest should rise according to the order of Melchizedek, and not be called according to the order of Aaron? Hebrews 7:11

The Levitical Priesthood was the vehicle through which the people received the law of Moses.

If the Levitical Priesthood is no longer, then the law of Moses is no longer.

Christians are not under the law.

Gentiles were never under the law.

Those whom were under the law, were redeemed from the law through Christ.

There is no such thing as a "new" law of Moses that were are obligated to fulfill in a "new" way.

The law of commandments, contained in ordinances, have been abolished, and are no longer a part of the covenant they were added to.

having abolished in His flesh the enmity, that is, the law of commandments contained in ordinances, so as to create in Himself one new man from the two, thus making peace, Ephesians 2:14

Paul wants us to understand clearly, what caused the enmity, which divided the Jew from the Gentile, so he made is clear.
...that is, the law of commandments contained in ordinances.

not some of the law, not parts of the law, the law of commandments, contained in ordinances.

This means the law that was added, has been removed.

The laws and commandments, that were part of the Abrahamic Covenant, before the law was added, which Abraham kept, are still intact.

Can you at least understand this?

Maybe you choose not to agree with this, but can you at least understand how the law can be dissolved and set aside, removed or abolished, while the original commandments and laws, of the Covenant, that the law was added to, continues to remain intact?

JLB

Last edited:
That is why I said the Abrahamic Covenant was renewed or refreshed as it has better promises.

The New Covenant is not some brand new different Covenant, that somehow does not include the natural children of Abraham.

He remembers His covenant forever,
The word which He commanded, for a thousand generations,
9 The covenant which He made with Abraham,
And His oath to Isaac,
10 And confirmed it to Jacob for a statute,
To Israel as an everlasting covenant,
Psalm 105:8-10

The Lord Jesus made Covenant with Abraham, before He became flesh.

When Abram was ninety-nine years old, the Lord appeared to Abram and said to him, “I amAlmighty God; walk before Me and be blameless. Genesis 17:1

JLB

You'll notice the only charge, commandment, statute, or law given in the Gen 17 Abrahamic Covenant is circumcision.

You'll notice the only charge, commandment, statute, or law given in the Gen 17 Abrahamic Covenant is circumcision.

Couldn't be further from the truth.

It is the same command we have today, in the New Covenant.

It's the one by which we are able to keep his commandments.

1 When Abram was ninety-nine years old, the Lord appeared to Abram and said to him, "I am Almighty God; walk before Me and be blameless.
Genesis 17:1

Abraham walked with the Lord [Jesus] and learned from Him the way Adam was called to do, as He is the tree of Life.

Jesus said it this way;
39 You search the Scriptures, for in them you think you have eternal life; and these are they which testify of Me.
40 But you are not willing to come to Me that you may have life. John 5:39-40

The cry of God's Heart is for man to walk with Him in relationship.

Paul said it this way - Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh. Galatians 5:16

Moses had this testimony about Enoch -

And Enoch walked with God; and he was not, for God took him. Genesis 5:25

This is the testimony that the Lord had about Abraham; -

... Abraham obeyed My voice and kept My charge, My commandments, My statutes, and My laws." Genesis 26:5

For man shall not live by bread alone, but buy every word [Rhema] that proceeds out of the mouth of God.

JLB

Amen, Jesus fulfilled them.

So the qualifications have been met, for things to pass away from the law, such as the law of Moses.
Not quite. There is still the matter of the law of Moses that is never once and for all fulfilled and which remains a continual debt that we, not Jesus, must literally fulfill. Christ does not take that out of the way for us by doing something himself to make them 'disappear' from the law (Matthew 5:18 NASB) as he did the temple commands. But even that remaining command, like the temple commands, is also fulfilled through the new way of faith (Romans 7:6 NIV).

Fulfillment of the law of Moses, JLB, not destruction of the law (Matthew 5:17-18 NASB) as your doctrine does to the law by leaving that which remains to be fulfilled undone in favor of another law.

Christians are not under the law.
No question about it. But that hardly means it's because the law was destroyed in favor of another law. Or that the new way of faith somehow nullifies (sets aside) all of it. As Paul says, "Not at all!"

"31 Do we, then, nullify (set aside, abolish, etc.) the law by this faith? Not at all! Rather, we uphold the law." (Romans 3:31 NIV)

See, there are still things in the law that are NOT set aside by the coming of Christ in this New Covenant, but which in fact are upheld, not cast down by us.

We know what did get nullified (that is, set aside, made of no effect, rendered inoperative, etc.)--the literal temple worship commands. But there is that which did NOT get laid aside but is in fact fulfilled by the believer (not by Jesus) through this new way of faith in this New Covenant. And which is not a destruction of the law of Moses either (because Jesus said he did not come to do that Matthew 5:17-18 NASB).

No question about it. But that hardly means it's because the law was destroyed in favor of another law.

Remember it is you that is hung up on word games.

Paul says the law of Moses is abolished, nailed to the cross, obsolete and has vanished away, being wiped out.
Hebrews 8:13, Ephesians 2:15, Colossians 2:14

Which means the law that was added, has now been removed.

Jesus on the other hand, says He id not come to destroy the Torah and the Prophets.

Let's try this question again, so I know where you stand.

This means the law that was added, has been removed.

The laws and commandments, that were part of the Abrahamic Covenant, before the law was added, which Abraham kept, are still intact.

Can you at least understand this?

Maybe you choose not to agree with this, but can you at least understand how the law can be dissolved and set aside, removed or abolished, while the original commandments and laws, of the Covenant, that the law was added to, continues to remain intact?

JLB

That new way of fulfilling the law of Moses through our faith does mean various commandments in the law of Moses are taken out of the way as to their literal Mosaic fulfillment (not their spiritual fulfillment), but which are fulfilled, not destroyed, nonetheless, in this New Covenant by our faith.

We as Gentiles and as Christians, are not obligated in any way to fulfill the law of Moses.

We are obligated to obey the law of Christ.

JLB

We as Gentiles and as Christians, are not obligated in any way to fulfill the law of Moses.
"31 Do we, then, nullify (set aside, abolish, etc.) the law by this faith? Not at all! Rather, we uphold the law." (Romans 3:31 NIV)

You say we are not obligated to the law of Moses in any way. Paul says we are. Which part of the law of Moses is Paul saying does not get nullified by faith in Christ?

Of course we know he's not talking about the temple requirements, which do get nullified and set aside by faith, so no need to go there. We're done with that part of the discussion. We have no disagreement there.

Back