Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Growth What is the Evidence of being filled with the Holy Spirit?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
“But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law.” (Galatians 5:22-23) NKJ

What is the evidence that someone if filled with the Holy Spirit? I spent most of my childhood and a good portion of my adulthood in the Pentecostal church. To them the evidence of being filled with the Holy Spirit was speaking in tongues. Some of the people in the Pentecostal religion would actually put their hands on your mouth and try to contort it until you spoke in tongues.

Sometimes it would really get out of hand. I did speak in tongues, but I still wasn’t completely saved because I didn’t dance in the Spirit. Well, whatever kind of nonsense they want to perpetrate on their converts to show they are truly saved is should align with scripture.

Although there is evidence that some people spoke in tongues after they were saved. The house of Cornelius spoke in tongues when the Holy Spirit fell upon them. “The gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out on the Gentiles also. For they heard them speak with tongues and magnify God.” (Acts 10: 45-46) NKJ

Although many people in the New Testament did speak in tongues as evidence of being filled with the Holy Spirit, there is other evidence that is even more compelling. It is a change of nature. It is acting in a way that no one can question that you are Spirit filled. It is acting with love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. The fruit of the Spirit is actually the evidence that you are filled with the Spirit.

If you don’t change the way you act, you aren’t really spirit filled. If you go to church and come out cursing your wife, husband, and the world around you, you aren’t spirit filled. If you don’t have the unction to help the poor, other brothers and sisters, and the needy around you, you need to check your heart and see if you are actually a follower of Christ and filled with the Holy Spirit.

This is truly the test of a Christian. “You shall love the Lord you God with all you hear, with all your soul, and with all your mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like it: You shall love you neighbor as yourself. On these two commandment hang all the Law and the Prophets.” (Matthew 22:37-40) NKJ This is the true test of your walk with the Lord. Do you love Him and your neighbor? Anything else is just a pathetic counterfeit.

I remember the first time I walked into a Pentecostal church it scared the crap out of me. People were praying in an unknown tongue and failing over over the place. I thought they were possessed or something. I knew nothing of the Holy Spirit at that time. I did eventually learn to understand what they were doing and soon became a part of the experience after I was baptized in the Holy Spirit. One thing I did learn way back then was to not get caught up in the emotionalism that is so quick to draw you in, but yet can be deceiving as emotions can soon disappear once you walk out the door. Galatians 5:22, 23 is the evidence of the fruit of the Spirit especially when we see this displayed in others in everyday life.

Wow, I am very, very thankful that the Pentecostal churches I attended were quite orderly. Especially the first one, coming out of the Baptist, or I would have thought that I had misunderstood the Lord's leading. But then I was still a baby Christian and would have not understood and would not have stay. It would really have rocked my faith.
The Lord is wise in His leading for each one of us individually.

I remember the first time I walked into a Pentecostal church it scared the crap out of me. People were praying in an unknown tongue and failing over over the place. I thought they were possessed or something. I knew nothing of the Holy Spirit at that time. I did eventually learn to understand what they were doing and soon became a part of the experience after I was baptized in the Holy Spirit. One thing I did learn way back then was to not get caught up in the emotionalism that is so quick to draw you in, but yet can be deceiving as emotions can soon disappear once you walk out the door. Galatians 5:22, 23 is the evidence of the fruit of the Spirit especially when we see this displayed in others in everyday life.
I have mixed emotions about my Pentecostal background. I am very grateful because they taught me about being filled with the spirit and a personal relationship with Jesus. On the other hand, it was all about emotion. That can be deceiving. I remember I was in a church and one guy began to dance in the spirit and he put his hand trough a very expensive stained glass window. The church didn't even belong to the Pentecostal denomination I was going to at the time. It was a Nazarene church. I think we have to have a balance between emotion and experience. We MUST show the gifts of the spirit along with the emotion.

Our family Pentecostal background goes back to grandparents. On both sides ! This topic reminds me of my grandmothers....
Both spoke in tongues. Both loved the Lord
One was sweet , a joy to be around, the joy of the Lord surrounded her, She and grandpa had done 'things' for others very often sharing what little they had.
She kept her prayer life in her closet

The other boasted how she had it all becasue she spoke in tongues.

This ought to be interesting.

I would say that prophecy would tend toward the evidence believers accept (tongues plus interpretation equals prophecy). On he day of pentacost you had tounges and understanding for the righteous in Jerusalem (others heard tongues but thought they were drunk - since they did not understand).

The letters to the churches in Revelation usually had good and bad listed for each church. I tend to still see good and bad in some groups today. Together we tend to cover all the theology.

I intend to go a little slow and listen some more.

eddif

The letters to the churches in Revelation usually had good and bad listed for each church. I tend to still see good and bad in some groups today. Together we tend to cover all the theology.
wow that is a surprise ! :wink

I have mixed emotions about my Pentecostal background. I am very grateful because they taught me about being filled with the spirit and a personal relationship with Jesus. On the other hand, it was all about emotion. That can be deceiving. I remember I was in a church and one guy began to dance in the spirit and he put his hand trough a very expensive stained glass window. The church didn't even belong to the Pentecostal denomination I was going to at the time. It was a Nazarene church. I think we have to have a balance between emotion and experience. We MUST show the gifts of the spirit along with the emotion.

Yeah being filled with the Holy Spirit doesn't remove a persons self control. Paul showed that services should be orderly and didn't accept people were unable to control themselves.

Hebrews 5:14 (training senses)
Why my emotions do not need training--- LOL.

Well maybe they do. It took a long time for me to realize that my carnal senses needed experience to discern good and evil. Jesus knew when the lady with the issue of blood touched him ( he felt the power go out). Trained-- yeah probably a good word for our natural senses. The Disciples had carnal thoughts (duh you are in a crowd). My emotions. (Apart from the new birth) just come up short. Emotions are ok trained. Compassion is an emotion I guess, but naturally it would be for me and not others.

Tongues were not a stand alone experience. Tongues were tied to understanding and proclaiming the mighty works of God. Now we might have to grow into that fullness, but at least some of those who spoke in tongues were exorted to pray for the gift of interpretation. This all can get deeper than my total understanding. The only folks (in scripture) who use tongues alone (as a sign) are wizards who mutter and chirp (unbelievers). IMHO.

The issue of tongues has a lot of personal opinions that drive theology. If you feel that I am using personal thoughts let me have it. Right now I am using my cell phone and I am about cripple in how to post references (ignorance on my part).

eddif

If you don’t change the way you act, you aren’t really spirit filled. If you go to church and come out cursing your wife, husband, and the world around you, you aren’t spirit filled. If you don’t have the unction to help the poor, other brothers and sisters, and the needy around you, you need to check your heart and see if you are actually a follower of Christ and filled with the Holy Spirit.

I am going to fumble around and try and make a comment of two. The comments will be broad and not intended toward anyone in particular.

To make these comments, I will need to go somewhere else to start. If we believe that no man can tame the tongue (James); then how are we going to speak? Probably two options.
1. Receive this gift of tongues . Boy that is a wild idea. Well if you want to admit you can't control the tongue, then you need Holy Spirit to control the tongue. Not a false spirit, but the true spirit of God. Then you need the gift of discernment. This discernment is what the thread seems to be seeking. Not human discernment, but the gift of discerning good and evil. Once you get into spirituals you need them all.

2. Accomplish control of the tongue with the arm of the flesh. Write up a statement of beliefs that will be the accepted way we speak. As long as we speak the things on our statement, we are controlling the tongue.

I prefer # 1, but I fully understand all the problems and resistant forces to that option. It talks easy, but needs full empowerment from God. Today we seem to mix options 1&2 together so we drift in a fog. I just seek to forget what lies behind and seek the prize of the high calling.

Honest seeking gives results.

eddif

Sandy said -

Although many people in the New Testament did speak in tongues as evidence of being filled with the Holy Spirit, there is other evidence that is even more compelling. It is a change of nature. It is acting in a way that no one can question that you are Spirit filled. It is acting with love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. The fruit of the Spirit is actually the evidence that you are filled with the Spirit.

Although many people in the New Testament did speak in tongues as evidence of being filled with the Holy Spirit...

I agree with this statement as it lines up with what the Bible teaches.

I agree with the "spirit" and your heart, that you are wanting to convey some real truth that we all need to hear.

However, we should be very careful to go by the scriptures in this very controversial matter, so as to keep the message that the Lord has given you, balanced with truth that come from His Word.

Many today either don't believe in the Baptism of the Holy Spirit, or don't believe it is for today.

Or, they believe they have been filled but believe that speaking in tongues is not the sign that you have been filled.

This is the evidence of the initial Baptism of the Holy Spirit, or filling of the Holy Spirit.

4 And being assembled together with them, He commanded them not to depart from Jerusalem, but to wait for the Promise of the Father, "which," He said, "you have heard from Me; 5 for John truly baptized with water, but you shall be baptized with the Holy Spirit not many days from now." Acts 1:4-5

4 And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance. Acts 2:4

Peter speaking to his Jewish brethren, -

15 And as I began to speak, the Holy Spirit fell upon them, as upon us at the beginning. 16 Then I remembered the word of the Lord, how He said, 'John indeed baptized with water, but you shall be baptized with the Holy Spirit.' 17 If therefore God gave them the same gift as He gave us when we believed on the Lord Jesus Christ, who was I that I could withstand God?" 18 When they heard these things they became silent; and they glorified God, saying, "Then God has also granted to the Gentiles repentance to life." Acts 11:15-18

Notice the phrase - And as I began to speak, the Holy Spirit fell upon them, as upon us at the beginning...

Peter is describing the event at the house of Cornelius -

While Peter was still speaking these words, the Holy Spirit fell upon all those who heard the word. 45 And those of the circumcision who believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out on the Gentiles also. 46 For they heard them speak with tongues and magnify God. Acts 10:44-46

... the Holy Spirit fell upon all those who heard the word. What was the evidence that the Holy Spirit fell on them.

And those of the circumcision who believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out on the Gentiles also. 46 For they heard them speak with tongues and magnify God. Then Peter answered,

JLB

I come from a Pentecostal background - the church I was saved in was an AOG church. I did speak in tongues, but only once, and it was about 2 years after I had accepted Christ. Hasn't happened since, and that was over 10 years ago.

So was I just pretending at/thinking I was saved until that point? I don't believe so.

As has already been pointed out, many people did speak in tongues when the Holy Spirit came upon them, but I feel too much importance is put on that one gift. We know that there are several, and all come from the same Holy Spirit (1 Corinthians 12:4), so I don't understand the emphasis put on speaking in tongues.

This is one of the two main reasons I just consider myself a Christian, rather than a Pentecostal nowadays. And it may be a bit presumptuous to say so, but I'm pretty sure Paul felt the same way I do.

"He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church." - 1 Corinthians 14:4

"Yet in the church I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that by my voice I might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an unknown tongue." - 1 Corinthians 14:19

LOL Matthew G the church i grew up in was AofG :)

Your walk with the Lord is your walk your talk with the Lord is yours and His conversation. Your gifts from the Lord are yours .... Having witness those who would/could speak in tongues, have a empty fruit basket left its mark . There are so many more important thing for us to do then worry over this.

1Co 12:6 And there are diversities of operations, but it is the same God which worketh all in all.
1Co 12:7 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal.
1Co 12:8 For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit;
1Co 12:9 To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit;
1Co 12:10 To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:
1Co 12:11 But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will.

1Co_14:39 Wherefore, brethren, covet to prophesy, and forbid not to speak with tongues.

The evidence of being filled with the Spirit is speaking in tongues, as what happened at the beginning, on the day of Pentecost.

The evidence of the fruit of the Spirit is Love, joy peace....

Fruit takes time to grow.

The baptism of the Holy Spirit happens suddenly.

JLB

Act 2:1 And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place.
Act 2:2 And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting.
Act 2:3 And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them.
Act 2:4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.
Act 2:5 And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven.
Act 2:6 Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language.

Here we read, on the Day of Pentecost along with the spoken tongues were tongues like as of fire
also we read every man heard them speak in his own language.
The evidence of the baptism of the Holy Spirit here in Acts on the Day of Pentecost includes cloven tongues like as of fire and every man heard them speak in his own language.

Act 2:7 And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans?
Act 2:8 And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born?

I counted about 17 different locations mentioned.

Act 2:12 And they were all amazed, and were in doubt, saying one to another, What meaneth this?
Act 2:13 Others mocking said, These men are full of new wine.

Why did some men say they were drunk?

Yeah being filled with the Holy Spirit doesn't remove a persons self control. Paul showed that services should be orderly and didn't accept people were unable to control themselves.
Does not the Holy Spirit provide the self control we have? Do we not get self control as a benefit of his prescense in our life?

Without Holy Spirit is there inner striving against the flesh, or if there is what is the level of striving? Does the situation improve with his fruits?

The fruit of self control seems to come to modify our carnal nature. Abraham found favor before he was circumsized. There is one name under which salvation comes (Jesus). Holy Spirit has power in certain areas (power to witness-for example).

I tend toward seeing my flesh need all the help it can get.

eddif

Act 2:7 And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans?
Act 2:8 And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born?

I counted about 17 different locations mentioned.

Act 2:12 And they were all amazed, and were in doubt, saying one to another, What meaneth this?
Act 2:13 Others mocking said, These men are full of new wine.

Why did some men say they were drunk?
That there are two groups of men listening.
Acts 2:5 And there were dwelling in Jerusalem Jews, devout men, from every nation under heaven.
(These heard in their language IMHO)

Acts 2:13 Others mocking said, "They are full of new wine."
These evidently were not devout, standing in the right place, and lacked in some manner.

Even today each man seems to have a need to hear in his own language. I am into a language of symbols and many times I only , get it totally, when symbolism is fully seen. Others think I have lost it when I start talking about oxen. LOL

All my communication is not in symbolism though. I seek desperately to speak in another persons understanding.

eddif

Last edited:
Act 2:1 And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place.
Act 2:2 And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting.
Act 2:3 And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them.
Act 2:4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.
Act 2:5 And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven.
Act 2:6 Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language.

Here we read, on the Day of Pentecost along with the spoken tongues were tongues like as of fire
also we read every man heard them speak in his own language.
The evidence of the baptism of the Holy Spirit here in Acts on the Day of Pentecost includes cloven tongues like as of fire and every man heard them speak in his own language.

So what you are teaching here is, that if there are not people from every nation present when a person gets the baptism of The Holy Spirit, then it is not authentic?

The reason every man heard them speak in his own language is because there were dwelling in Jerusalem Jews, devout men, from every nation under heaven.

The reason there were Jews from every nation under heaven is because the place where the Lord your God chooses to make His name abide, there you shall sacrifice the Passover at twilight, at the going down of the sun, at the time you came out of Egypt. Three times a year all your males shall appear before the Lord your God in the place which He chooses: at the Feast of Unleavened Bread, at the Feast of Weeks, and at the Feast of Tabernacles; and they shall not appear before the Lord empty-handed. Deuteronomy 16:5-6,16

The Lord designed for the children of Israel to be in Jerusalem for this feast. He wanted them to hear and carry the gospel and the witness of the baptism of the Holy Spirit to the nations where they were dwelling.

So on the day of Pentecost they were Jews who spoke many different languages present who all heard them speak in their own language as a witness.

It is not required today for a person to be in the city of Jerusalem to receive the baptism of the Holy Spirit with the evidence of speaking in tongues.

It is not required today for a person to receive the baptism of the holy Spirit on the day of Pentecost.

It is not required to day for a person to have Jews from every nation under heaven present when they receive the baptism of the Holy Spirit.

Here are the examples -

While Peter was still speaking these words, the Holy Spirit fell upon all those who heard the word. 45 And those of the circumcision who believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out on the Gentiles also. 46 For they heard them speak with tongues and magnify God. Then Peter answered, 47 "Can anyone forbid water, that these should not be baptized who have received the Holy Spirit just as we have? Acts 10:44-47

The house of Cornelius was not in Jerusalem, nor were there Jews present from every nation under heaven.

and again -

1 And it happened, while Apollos was at Corinth, that Paul, having passed through the upper regions, came to Ephesus. And finding some disciples 2 he said to them, "Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?" So they said to him, "We have not so much as heard whether there is a Holy Spirit." 3 And he said to them, "Into what then were you baptized?" So they said, "Into John's baptism." 4 Then Paul said, "John indeed baptized with a baptism of repentance, saying to the people that they should believe on Him who would come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus." 5 When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. 6 And when Paul had laid hands on them, the Holy Spirit came upon them, and they spoke with tongues and prophesied. Acts 19:1-6

This was not in Jerusalem, and there were not Jews from every nation present.

What is consistent is the evidence of speaking in tongues.

JLB

Back