Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

What is the rule of faith for Christians?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Galatians 2:11 kjv
11. But when Peter was come to Antioch, I withstood him to the face, because he was to be blamed.
12. For before that certain came from James, he did eat with the Gentiles: but when they were come, he withdrew and separated himself, fearing them which were of the circumcision.
13. And the other Jews dissembled likewise with him; insomuch that Barnabas also was carried away with their dissimulation.
14. But when I saw that they walked not uprightly according to the truth of the gospel, I said unto Peter before them all, If thou, being a Jew, livest after the manner of Gentiles, and not as do the Jews, why compellest thou the Gentiles to live as do the Jews?
15. We who are Jews by nature, and not sinners of the Gentiles,
16. Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.

I tend to read:
Matthew 16:16 kjv
16. And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.

This (looking at plate tectonics / created by God)
Is a huge foundation). Whereupon was laid the prophets and apostles of which Jesus Christ is the chief cornerstone. This last statement is from memory ( hey Mississippi rednecks are not perfect in and off themselves)

eddif

I had multiple verse errors I tried to edit.
What’s you’re question

What is the rule of faith for Christians?​

I kinda thought that:
Matthew 16:16 kjv
16. And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God

Was a response to the thread question.

Mississippi redneck
eddif
I can agree with that, as the OP question didn't really supply any kind of context.
So the question has a number of "correct" answers.

True but it does not say what scripture is
And it does say it include all that Christ revealed to his church by the apostles Jude 1:3

I said the rule of faith is the Bible the only written Word of God on earth at any time.

You asked, where does the Bible say this?

I said (2 Tim.3:16) And you can include vs (17) in that also. "All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works."

In other words the Bible is our rule of faith.

So you now ask, 'yes but what is Scripture?'

When Paul wrote in (2 Tim. ) Scripture was the 39 books of the Old Testatment. But, God was also writing New Testament Scripture using Paul and others. (2 Peter 3:15-16)

Scripture is the Bible. The 39 books of the Old Testament. The 27 books of the New Testament. 66 all toll.

The Bible is our rule of faith.

Quantrill

So we must obey and submit to Peter the apostles and their successors
The Bible is very clear about keeping the Apostles / Disciples / Prophets being evaluated / corrected.

I Corinthians 14:29 kjv
29. Let the prophets speak two or three, and let the other judge.

On this website everyone is evaluated ( if not formally then informally). I never expect what I say to be just automatically accepted. Peter was called to account (praised or criticized).

Matthew 16:21 kjv
21. From that time forth began Jesus to shew unto his disciples, how that he must go unto Jerusalem, and suffer many things of the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and be raised again the third day.
22. Then Peter took him, and began to rebuke him, saying, Be it far from thee, Lord: this shall not be unto thee.
22. But he turned, and said unto Peter, Get thee behind me, Satan: thou art an offence unto me: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but those that be of men

Peter was praised for his declaration of who Jesus was, but rebuked for forbidding Jesus to suffer.

Ok I have had a few posts time to shut up and others comments heard.

eddif

I said the rule of faith is the Bible the only written Word of God on earth at any time.

You asked, where does the Bible say this?

I said (2 Tim.3:16) And you can include vs (17) in that also. "All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works."

In other words the Bible is our rule of faith.

So you now ask, 'yes but what is Scripture?'

When Paul wrote in (2 Tim. ) Scripture was the 39 books of the Old Testatment. But, God was also writing New Testament Scripture using Paul and others. (2 Peter 3:15-16)

Scripture is the Bible. The 39 books of the Old Testament. The 27 books of the New Testament. 66 all toll.

The Bible is our rule of faith.

Quantrill
It’s part of the rule of faith I agree
But not the Bible alone
Without the teaching authority of the apostles we don’t what scripture is
The church canonized scripture not the tradition of men under king James take whole books and other chapters like dan 13 & 14 from scripture but the holy apostolic tradition having the authority of Christ

The Bible is very clear about keeping the Apostles / Disciples / Prophets being evaluated / corrected.

I Corinthians 14:29 kjv
29. Let the prophets speak two or three, and let the other judge.

On this website everyone is evaluated ( if not formally then informally). I never expect what I say to be just automatically accepted. Peter was called to account (praised or criticized).

Matthew 16:21 kjv
21. From that time forth began Jesus to shew unto his disciples, how that he must go unto Jerusalem, and suffer many things of the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and be raised again the third day.
22. Then Peter took him, and began to rebuke him, saying, Be it far from thee, Lord: this shall not be unto thee.
22. But he turned, and said unto Peter, Get thee behind me, Satan: thou art an offence unto me: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but those that be of men

Peter was praised for his declaration of who Jesus was, but rebuked for forbidding Jesus to suffer.

Ok I have had a few posts time to shut up and others comments heard.

eddif
Only the apostles have the authority of Christ and the guarantee of the HS jn 8:32 16:13
No so called reformer was an apostle and nothing was reformed only rebellion against Christ and his church
To attack holy church is to attack Christ acts 9:4

It’s part of the rule of faith I agree
But not the Bible alone
Without the teaching authority of the apostles we don’t what scripture is
The church canonized scripture not the tradition of men under king James take whole books and other chapters like dan 13 & 14 from scripture but the holy apostolic tradition having the authority of Christ

Yes, the Bible alone. There are those in the Church with the gift of apostleship, and teaching and pastor ministries. But there is no succession of apostleship traced to Peter. It all depends on the Holy Spirit and to whom He gives the certain gifts.

Of course we know what Scripture is. It is the 66 books we call the Bible. Nothing else is Scripture.

The Church, being the complete universal body of born-again believers, did canonize the Scripture. No Roman church council did.

The Church played no role in the canonization of the Old Testament. That was Israel alone. The Roman church violated the Old Testament by adding apocryphal books to it. There is no Daniel 13 or 14. Those are just the added apocryphal books of Susanna's Virtue and Bel and the Dragon. Plus, Rome has added many verses to chapter 3 of the book of (Daniel). Specifically verses 24-90. And the book of (Esther) is permeated with apocryphal verses.

Romes tradition added to the Word of God.

Quantrill

To trust that what is foolishness & an offense to this world , the Blood stained Cross of Christ, is God's answer for our deadly condition.
His cure not only for our deadly condition, but for fullness of life eternal.
Socrates sought it through wisdom.
Michael-Angelo through art , and Nero through his debaucheries .
The lost world today increasingly is seeking it through pleasure, power & profit .
None of it satisfies and only through the enrichment of the soul that Christ brings to all that receive Him can we know life and know it more abundantly .
" I Am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly "
( John 10:10 )

Yes, the Bible alone. There are those in the Church with the gift of apostleship, and teaching and pastor ministries. But there is no succession of apostleship traced to Peter. It all depends on the Holy Spirit and to whom He gives the certain gifts.

Of course we know what Scripture is. It is the 66 books we call the Bible. Nothing else is Scripture.

The Church, being the complete universal body of born-again believers, did canonize the Scripture. No Roman church council did.

The Church played no role in the canonization of the Old Testament. That was Israel alone. The Roman church violated the Old Testament by adding apocryphal books to it. There is no Daniel 13 or 14. Those are just the added apocryphal books of Susanna's Virtue and Bel and the Dragon. Plus, Rome has added many verses to chapter 3 of the book of (Daniel). Specifically verses 24-90. And the book of (Esther) is permeated with apocryphal verses.

Quantrill
Without the authority of Christ and his apostles who are commanded by Christ to teach Matt 28:19 how do you know any of these statements are true?

Quantrill
The “Bible alone” is one of the five Solas or Protestant dogmas “tradition of men” attacking Christ and his church acts 9:4

To trust that what is foolishness & an offense to this world , the Blood stained Cross of Christ, is God's answer for our deadly condition.
His cure not only for our deadly condition, but for fullness of life eternal.
Socrates sought it through wisdom.
Michael-Angelo through art , and Nero through his debaucheries .
The lost world today increasingly is seeking it through pleasure, power & profit .
None of it satisfies and only through the enrichment of the soul that Christ brings to all that receive Him can we know life and know it more abundantly .
" I Am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly "
( John 10:10 )
And what about the necessity of baptism?

And what about the necessity of baptism?
While He spoke of it, Jesus never said " ye must be baptized " that I am aware of .
So a " necessity " ?
My understanding is that it is not .
A desirable further Affirmation of what has been already been Spiritually transacted is what I believe.

While He spoke of it, Jesus never said " ye must be baptized " that I am aware of .
So a " necessity " ?
My understanding is that it is not .
A desirable further Affirmation of what has been already been Spiritually transacted is what I believe.
Mk 16:16 acts 2:38 acts 8:36-37 1 pet 3:20-21

Mk 16:16 acts 2:38 acts 8:36-37 1 pet 3:20-21
"Believing not " is the single criteria given by Jesus worthy of condemnation in MK 16:16.
For me Jesus attaches it only in terms of it being a naturally desirable attribute of the crucial believing .
Thus no mention of it in Jesus's very next breath where He issues the stand alone specific criteria of not believing as being worthy condemnation.

Mark 16:16​

The New King James Version

16 ... but he who DOES NOT BELIEVE will be condemned.

Do you believe the penitent sinner crucified beside Jesus is in heaven today ?
That is a yes or a no by the way ?

Dan 2: 44 And in the days of these kings (Roman Caesars) shall the God of heaven set up a kingdom, which shall never be destroyed: and the kingdom shall not be left to other people, but it shall break in pieces and consume all these kingdoms, and it shall stand for ever.
Dan 2:44 And in the days of these kings shall the God of heaven set up a kingdom, which shall never be destroyed: and the kingdom shall not be left to other people, but it shall break in pieces and consume all these kingdoms, and it shall stand for ever.

By sticking (Roman Caesars) in that verse you are adding to the word of God and in danger of His chastisement against you,

Rev 22:18 For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:
Rev 22:19 And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.

"Believing not " is the single criteria given by Jesus worthy of condemnation in MK 16:16.
For me Jesus attaches it only in terms of it being a naturally desirable attribute of the crucial believing .
Thus no mention of it in Jesus's very next breath where He issues the stand alone specific criteria of not believing as being worthy condemnation.

Mark 16:16​

The New King James Version

16 ... but he who DOES NOT BELIEVE will be condemned.

Do you believe the penitent sinner crucified beside Jesus is in heaven today ?
That is a yes or a no by the way ?
Yes, besides Jesus' promise that it would happen, the thief's experience is the same as ours today at our water baptism in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of past sins.
He admitted his sin, and suffered with Christ for that sin.
He died with Christ, and was buried with Christ.
And he was promised heaven for his actions.
Romans 6:3-7 gives the long version.

The “Bible alone” is one of the five Solas or Protestant dogmas “tradition of men” attacking Christ and his church acts 9:4
And where does it say that in Acts 9:4 And he fell to the earth, and heard a voice saying unto him, Saul, Saul, why persecutest thou me?

What exactly is the "five Solas" as I have never heard of this.

Back