Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

What's the worst thing a husband can do?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,038.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Man has two great aspirations in life. A good name in his Family, and a good name in his Work. If he puts too much attention to either one, the other will suffer for it.

We've all heard from the gal who cries, He's a Bum and wont work!!! BUT! we've also heard the other gal...He's always working and he's never home...

So it's a balancing act, lol.

I couldn't disagree with any lady who says number 1 is worst. But looking back before the divorce from my 26 year marriage, I would personally see my biggest fault in it to not have been the Spiritual Leader of the home as I should have. (#6)

I'm a loosey goosey Catholic who married an agnostic.
I suspect you mean that Bible is front and centre. And I also suspect that there have been many happy marriages that aren't Bible focussed.
This is where sola scriptura Christians need to admit that a marriage can work without the fear of Hell and damnation.
Sorry I appreciate your response though. Thanks.

I think it would be an eternal mistake not to point your wife to God at least. Hell is a real place, and sadly there will be spouses not in Heaven.

I think it would be an eternal mistake not to point your wife to God at least. Hell is a real place, and sadly there will be spouses not in Heaven.
Afterlife ...mmmm...not convinced to be honest. Not our childish notions of Heaven nor the Dante style tortures of Hell that can grip our imagination.
We are accountable for what we do in this life. That makes perfect sense. There will be a Judgement Day I feel. I will have a lot of explaining to do. But I'm of the view that God does detention. Or he sends us back. A bit like the Buddhist idea. Karma. So in that case I will probably have to be born in Syria in the next life. Or North Korea. To pay for the dreadful sins I committed in this life. Yes I know Jesus died for our sins. But some of us need punishment to wake up.
We Australians are so lucky. I think most of us will have to be born in a 3rd world country in the next life. Then we will finally appreciate being given a life by God. The life after that, hopefully I can come back to Australia. Australia is Heaven you know.

I would have to say all except for #2. The worst is not being able to trust your husband and no one wants to be married to a sluggish lazy man and one who abuses you mentally and physically. #2 I would rather do the cooking and cleaning as that is a part of the household a woman should be taking care of as a helpmate to her husband.

Afterlife ...mmmm...not convinced to be honest. Not our childish notions of Heaven nor the Dante style tortures of Hell that can grip our imagination.
We are accountable for what we do in this life. That makes perfect sense. There will be a Judgement Day I feel. I will have a lot of explaining to do. But I'm of the view that God does detention. Or he sends us back. A bit like the Buddhist idea. Karma. So in that case I will probably have to be born in Syria in the next life. Or North Korea. To pay for the dreadful sins I committed in this life. Yes I know Jesus died for our sins. But some of us need punishment to wake up.
We Australians are so lucky. I think most of us will have to be born in a 3rd world country in the next life. Then we will finally appreciate being given a life by God. The life after that, hopefully I can come back to Australia. Australia is Heaven you know.
Sorry to burst your bubble, but there is only two places of afterlife in the final judgement as one to eternal life with Christ and the other eternal damnation in the lake of fire separated from Christ forever. If your name is not found in the Lamb's book of life then there are no excuses within His righteous judgements.

John 5:24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.
John 5:25 Verily, verily, I say unto you, The hour is coming, and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God: and they that hear shall live.
John 5:26 For as the Father hath life in himself; so hath he given to the Son to have life in himself;
John 5:27 And hath given him authority to execute judgment also, because he is the Son of man.
John 5:28 Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice,
John 5:29 And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.

Rev 20:11 And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them.
Rev 20:12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.
Rev 20:13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.
Rev 20:14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.
Rev 20:15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

Rev 21:6 And he said unto me, It is done. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely.
Rev 21:7 He that overcometh shall inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he shall be my son.
Rev 21:8 But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.

Why would it matter? Being a Christian or not one would want to have a good marriage.

I find this post of yours amazing.

Does the Christian operate on the same principles as the world?

Oh yes, even the non-believers want a good marriage. Even they want world peace. Everyone wants to live in peace and harmony. But how they perceive we do it is different.

I am amazed at what the Church of Jesus Christ is willing to compromise with.

Quantrill

I find this post of yours amazing.

Does the Christian operate on the same principles as the world?

Oh yes, even the non-believers want a good marriage. Even they want world peace. Everyone wants to live in peace and harmony. But how they perceive we do it is different.

I am amazed at what the Church of Jesus Christ is willing to compromise with.

Quantrill
What does the Church of Jesus Christ have to do with this and why even mention it?

It doesn't matter if one is a Christian or not as there is nothing worldly in every wife who wants a faithful husband they can trust. It would be nice if they helped with the cooking and cleaning, but for me that is not important as I believe the wife needs to take care of the home (I'm old school, lol). Every wife wants a husband that will work in order to help provide for the family. No wife wants a man that is going to verbally or even physically abuse them. A wife wants a man to spend a certain amount of time with them.

You " know" glory eh.
At least I was humble enough to say it was my opinion.
You don't know. No one has returned to tell the story.
The Bible teaches us so and that is our final authority in knowing what happens in final judgement.

The Bible teaches us so and that is our final authority in knowing what happens in final judgement.
That is all it is. Your final authority. Biblical Christians final authority. That doesn't mean it's proven fact.
I don't mind Christians talking about Heaven and Hell as it is their hope and gives meaning to their lives . But to assert that it is unquestioned fact is dogmatic and plain false.

What does the Church of Jesus Christ have to do with this and why even mention it?

Because it is the basis for my answer.

As a Christian, in the marriage relationship, the man is the head of that family. God considers him so. Not the woman. It is for the health of that marriage and for the woman's protection.

Therefore I believe the worst thing a husband can do is to relinquish his position as head, and allow his wife to assume it.
Quantrill

I think it is good for a single Christian to think about the verse of being unequally yoked with an unbeliever. Because what is hard being a believer in a marriage with an unbeliever or one you do not know is saved, is being in Heaven while knowing your spouse is in Hell for eternity. That is hard... Plus, an unbeliever has a different world view then a Christian. A Christian needs to be drawing closer to God and an unbeliever is not going to lead that person closer to Christ in a marriage. A.Christian can lose blessing and eternal rewards when they are not consistently drawing closer to God. This life is just an inch in an eternity.

I think it is good for a single Christian to think about the verse of being unequally yoked with an unbeliever. Because what is hard being a believer in a marriage with an unbeliever or one you do not know is saved, is being in Heaven while knowing your spouse is in Hell for eternity. That is hard... Plus, an unbeliever has a different world view then a Christian. A Christian needs to be drawing closer to God and an unbeliever is not going to lead that person closer to Christ in a marriage. A.Christian can lose blessing and eternal rewards when they are not consistently drawing closer to God. This life is just an inch in an eternity.
Catholics are different . Especially the more liberal ones.

As a husband I wanted to take a peek at this post. There are many things a partner can do to cause conflict in a relationship.

What about the foundation pillars of any relationship?

Honesty
Trust
Respect
Communication
And loyalty

Without any of these above pillars, the foundation of that relationship is in trouble. We are all human, and we will make grave mistakes in one, or all of these at some point or another. How you react to the situation when your relationship is under fire. Thats the test of our faith and our trust in God Almighty.

Begin today if you don't already. Pray for your partner. The lust of the eyes, the lust of the flesh and the pride of life is harder and harder to overcome. We are still in Satan's world where sin abounds and we need to be ready to battle these things.... None of us are off-limits to this.

Because it is the basis for my answer.

As a Christian, in the marriage relationship, the man is the head of that family. God considers him so. Not the woman. It is for the health of that marriage and for the woman's protection.

Therefore I believe the worst thing a husband can do is to relinquish his position as head, and allow his wife to assume it.
Quantrill

Eph 5:22 Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord.
Eph 5:23 For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body.
Eph 5:24 Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in every thing.
Eph 5:25 Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;
Eph 5:26 That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word,
Eph 5:27 That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish.
Eph 5:28 So ought men to love their wives as their own bodies. He that loveth his wife loveth himself.
Eph 5:29 For no man ever yet hated his own flesh; but nourisheth and cherisheth it, even as the Lord the church:
Eph 5:30 For we are members of his body, of his flesh, and of his bones.
Eph 5:31 For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh.
Eph 5:32 This is a great mystery: but I speak concerning Christ and the church.
Eph 5:33 Nevertheless let every one of you in particular so love his wife even as himself; and the wife see that she reverence her husband.

This is the directive of Christ for husband and wives. Do you think that a husband that is
1. Have an affair
2. Refuse to share cooking and cleaning duties
3. Be unemployed
4. Be a verbal bully
5. Spend all their free time on their phone
are acting as the Spiritual head of the family and that the wife should be submissive to this type of husband? I will exclude #2 from this list.

That is all it is. Your final authority. Biblical Christians final authority. That doesn't mean it's proven fact.
I don't mind Christians talking about Heaven and Hell as it is their hope and gives meaning to their lives . But to assert that it is unquestioned fact is dogmatic and plain false.
How can you call yourself a Christian and not believe in the Bible being the infallible word of God, inspired by God who gave the Prophets and Apostles to write!!!

We might miss the mark sometimes in our understanding, but yet what has been Spiritually given is truth unless you deem it all fiction. Are you just here to troll and run down and make fun of those whose faith leads them to know the word of God is true as they have had it proven to them by God's Holy Spirit, or are you opened enough to possibly learn like the rest of us.

Back