Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

What's the worst thing a husband can do?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,038.00
Goal
$1,038.00
No, he doesn't. The best decisions are made jointly. Genesis 2:18, 22-24 NET 2.1: "The Lord God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a companion for him who corresponds to him.”... "Then the Lord God made a woman from the part he had taken out of the man, and he brought her to the man. Then the man said,

This one at last is bone of my bones
and flesh of my flesh
;
this one will be called ‘woman,’
for she was taken out of man.”

That is why a man leaves his father and mother and unites with his wife, and they become one family."

Not to "pull rank" but I have been very happily married for 52 years (possibly longer than you've been alive). My wonderful wife has been, is, and always will be my equal partner the entire time. My wife was a Christian before I was, is a "true believer", and has made many, many decisions according to God's will -- for herself, for us, for our children, and for our grandchildren.

Since I am in my late 70s, my clarity of thought is not what it was in the past, so it is more important than ever that our decisions are made jointly. It would be absurd in the past, present, or future for me to claim that I am God's instrument for making the best decisions about our family.
Consensus works. Australia had a Prime Minister called Bob Hawke. He used consensus. And made such important good decisions that we are now reaping the benefits, 30 years later .

BTW, poor fellow, why do you think that Adam and Eve were not real people?
It's a long story. The story of creation is considered mythical by many theologians . Mythical but key spiritual truths are taught. A myth can help us better understand God's purpose.

The above is not why Peter wasn't the first Pope.
I only say this because it would not hold up in a discussion.

However, you're correct that Peter was not the first Pope. He was the Bishop of Rome.
This would need to be a thread topic of it's own.

Contradicting yourself then.
Not all all. A husband needs to take Spiritual authority in the household, but when he lacks in that area then the wife needs to step up as decisions need to be made and both be in agreement as the Holy Spirit leads them.

I have been happily married for 52 years. As Genesis has Adam clearly say...

Then the Lord God made a woman from the part he had taken out of the man, and he brought her to the man. Then the man said,

“This one at last is bone of my bones
and flesh of my flesh;
That is why a man leaves his father and mother and unites with his wife, and they become one family."

That means a partnership, not dominance. There is not, and has never been, a single "head of the family", never mind any kind of dominance.

Hence my point.

Quantrill

Paul was human. He made mistakes. Apparently he thought Adam and and Eve were real people. Poor fellow.
If you are going to quote me please quote the whole sentence and not just in part like you did with me saying "Why didn't Paul acknowledge Peter in His writings as being the head"....................but you did not complete the whole.

Anyway, like I said I am not going to derail the topic of the OP. Please feel free to start another thread on this if you want as it has no relevance to this one.

See, there is your problem as you see the Bible as a fictional book only believing bits and pieces.
There are a few facts. I just can't recall them at the moment. I will get back to you.
But I respect much of the spiritual truths it teaches.

If you are going to quote me please quote the whole sentence and not just in part like you did with me saying "Why didn't Paul acknowledge Peter in His writings as being the head"....................but you did not complete the whole.

Anyway, like I said I am not going to derail the topic of the OP. Please feel free to start another thread on this if you want as it has no relevance to this one.
I'm the OP. Interesting derails are fine.

No, he doesn't. The best decisions are made jointly. Genesis 2:18, 22-24 NET 2.1: "The Lord God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a companion for him who corresponds to him.”... "Then the Lord God made a woman from the part he had taken out of the man, and he brought her to the man. Then the man said,

This one at last is bone of my bones
and flesh of my flesh
;

Not to "pull rank" but I have been very happily married for 52 years (possibly longer than you've been alive). My wonderful wife has been, is, and always will be my equal partner the entire time. My wife was a Christian before I was, is a "true believer", and has made many, many decisions according to God's will -- for herself, for us, for our children, and for our grandchildren.

Since I am in my late 70s, my clarity of thought is not what it was in the past, so it is more important than ever that our decisions are made jointly. It would be absurd in the past, present, or future for me to claim that I am God's instrument for making the best decisions about our family.
I agree they are as one and both together need to be in Spiritual agreement in making good decisions.

I'm 66 and my husband is 55. We have been married for 23 years and both of us have always been in agreement when decisions are made.

Not all all. A husband needs to take Spiritual authority in the household, but when he lacks in that area then the wife needs to step up as decisions need to be made and both be in agreement as the Holy Spirit leads them.
Now you are backtracking. Let's talk about the real life situation. You take nonsense from your husband when he makes dumb decisions? And you probably know the Bible better than him. You and JLB talk about "godly" a lot. I assume that means people who quote scripture verses. Therefore if a woman knows scripture better than her husband, shouldn't she be the one is in charge? By your definition.

You could not even try to strike a nerve in me with any of your Dispensationalism theories.

If you would come out of your high mindedness you would see I agree with you that is the worst thing that a husband can do to his family. You only want to read and twist and omit what others say when they do not agree with you. Please take your time to read and understand what another replies with without having an agenda of division.

Read your post #(39) and tell me how I am to interpret that as you agreeing with me.

Quantrill

Now you are backtracking. Let's talk about the real life situation. You take nonsense from your husband when he makes dumb decisions? And you probably know the Bible better than him. You and JLB talk about "godly" a lot. I assume that means people who quote scripture verses. Therefore if a woman knows scripture better than her husband, shouldn't she be the one is in charge? By your definition.
Maybe I am not explaining myself very well as I do have a habit of doing that at times so let me start again. Anyone, including Satan can quote scripture, but it takes reading and studying the scriptures through that of the Holy Spirit teaching us in order to gain Spiritual knowledge as the carnal mind is an enemy of God and cannot perceive the things of the Spirit, Romans 8:5-10.

Real life my husband is to be the Spiritual head of our family like Christ is the Spiritual head of the church being the body of Christ. Scripture states in Ephesians 5:22-23 that wives are to submit to their husband as unto the Lord. This means the husband needs to be letting the Lord lead him in all Spiritual decisions as far as the Spiritual needs of his family, leading them to walk in obedience to the Lord and to that the wife needs to submit to.

In my case, and I am not saying this to puff myself up as being better than my husband because I'm not as we are of one Spirit, mind and body, but I do have more knowledge of the scriptures, which he will agree with. The reason why is because I study them as even though my husband is a Spiritually born again Christian indwelled with the Holy Spirit he is not much for studying as he is not a very good reader. When it comes to making any decision for the household (we have no children) we both have to agree as we discuss and pray for what is best for us. In some Spiritual matters I have to be the Spiritual head in knowing what God's direction is for our life. I don't lord it over his head as we both sit discuss and pray seeking what God wants for us before we make any decisions.

Back